Name of fallacy

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Name of fallacy

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Is there a logical fallacy in the repetition of false claims, such as Darkstar's famous "you have provided no evidence" or "you have failed to respond to my points" catch-all response to all evidence and rebuttals?

Or must we content ourselves with simply calling it "lying" and "fucktard behaviour"?
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Nova Andromeda
Jedi Master

Post by Nova Andromeda »

--This appears to lying if you have done what Darkstar denies. If you have not, but his response has no effect on the arguement then it is an implied "Irrelevant Conclusion." Here is a link to many fallacies:

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/index.htm
Nova Andromeda
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

If we can't find a name for such a fallacy, I say we call it the "Broken Record" fallacy.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
kojikun
BANNED

Post by kojikun »

I have a general fallacy name: SDF, Stupid DumbFuck. :)
Sì! Abbiamo un' anima! Ma è fatta di tanti piccoli robot.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Durandal wrote:If we can't find a name for such a fallacy, I say we call it the "Broken Record" fallacy.
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

Using the definitions on here (which make sense), we've got 4 really broad categories of fallacy:

1. Treating an inductive argument as if it was as bulletproof as a deductive one (we're not talking about mathematical induction here. . .)

2. Factual errors

3. Invalid deductive reasoning (the premises may be true, but the conclusion may still be false)

4. Invalid inductive reasoning (the premises may be true, but they don't lend significant support to the conclusion).

Out and out lying would have to be classed as a malicious factual error, I guess.

If the same lie keeps getting repeated, Broken Record or SDF seem like good options :>

Hmm. . . I guess non sequitir (in the linguistic sense) might come close to covering it - the 'rebuttal' fails to respond to the points made.

The stuff I could find on fallacies seems to assume that people are least trying to _pretend_ they have a valid argument .
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

Found a possible contender: "Invincible Ignorance"

http://www.drury.edu/ess/Logic/Informal ... rance.html

"I'm going to take everything you just said, and pretend you either didn't say it or that it's all irrelevant, or that it doesn't mean what you think it means."

EDIT: A better description of the same thing -
http://www.cuyamaca.net/bruce.thompson/ ... ncible.asp
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Filibustering: Repeating the same lines over and over in order to win by drinving your opponent away through sheer boredom, and desperation. Used in the Senete for a long, long., long. (Well you get the Idea) time

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin