How many volts does it take to stun vs. kill?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Ok, we have a former student that's stalking her, a single guy whose groped her in public, and a student that's been abusing his Girlfriend, whom she's trying to help out (the female student), she's a high school teacher, with very many scary boys, but nothing that would require lethal force your suggesting.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

To be honestly, Z, you might pick up pepper spray, but that won't stop an attacked a good percentage of the time. Likewise, a stun gun can be lethal or non-effective depending on the person. A high calibre gun will stop someone, but I know you wouldn't want to seriously hurt somebody, just make them stop.

Your best bet is to go with self-defense classes. Chances are the built of the moves you learn in their won't be much help in the case of a real attack unless you practice for years, but they will give something even more important: awareness and confidance. Hopefully that will allow you to not lock up in the case of an attack. Then you scream at the top of your lungs and try to do one of the two basically sure fire ways to stop a man. Thumb to the eye or strike him as hard as you can in the groin. Going for the eyes are better, since he'll reflexively let you go to protect them, which gives you some shot to get away, but 95% of the time, a swift hit to the groin will stop a man. And don't stop screaming, before during and afterwards until you know that your safe.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

A low caliber gun w/ hollow point could make them think twice without being too deadly...

Or you could use a blow gun, and then tell them to stop attacking you or you won't tell the hospital what the antidote is :D
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Gil Hamilton wrote:but 95% of the time, a swift hit to the groin will stop a man. And don't stop screaming, before during and afterwards until you know that your safe.
A kick to the groin is easy to miss, but better than nothing.

The last time I got into a fight I kicked the cardoor so it hit his legs while climbing out. And then I run.

Use whatever aid you can and if you are overpowered grab a ear and pull really hard.

Strangleholds can be broken with a upwardsmotion with both arms.

If grabbed from behind lift your legs and shift the weight backwards.

Just do not ever give up or stop screaming.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your pepper spray figures from but it's effective enough that its issued to police forces world wide. I'd recommend pepper spray backed up by a self defense class or a martial art of some sort. But realistically the pepper spray is probably going to be enough, you can even get ones with a really loud rape alarm on them. So if the spray doesn't do it, the air horn sounding alarm should scare the fucker off.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
The Yosemite Bear

and make the Self defense Akido, Judo, or Wing Chung/Deet Kwon Do

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:and make the Self defense Akido, Judo, or Wing Chung/Deet Kwon Do
Well the only self-defense/martial-art I'm familiar with is Ninjitsu and what the CF teaches in HtH combat. But whatever she takes must be easy to learn, practical and must become second nature. It's also got to cover topics such as spotting ambush points.
The Yosemite Bear

well wing chung which bruce lee's jeet is partially based on, was originally designed as a martial art that would be easier for women to use and learn.

Actually the original Wing Chung master was a woman who just wanted to protect herself and her fellow women villagers from raping bandits.

Ravengrim
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Ravengrim »

Well, a stalker and an abusive boyfriend both warrant a handgun in my opinion, but whatever, to each his own. As far as martial arts, Z, I would seriously recommend Krav Maga. It is designed to put your opponent down, but not necessarily permanently, in a very short amount of time. The founder had a philosophy that a martial art that cannot be learned and used immediately is useless and I whole-heartedly agree with that. You take Karate or Wang-Chung or whatever and hope that you dont get attacked in the months it will take you to learn even basic self defense, or you can take a single Krav Maga or Systema class and feel more confident about protecting yourself after the first class. However, if you are for some reason intent on an Oriental martial art, try to find a more progressive teacher who will teach actual self defense rather than meditation.
I'm a worthless twat.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I'm not sure where you guys are getting your pepper spray figures from but it's effective enough that its issued to police forces world wide.
Police generally use Mace, which is a synthetic chemical. It is also illegal to have in most US states and many other countries (as is pepper spray in a much lesser number of places). Pepper spray is meanwhile based on capsaicin, which literally comes from things like peppers and chilies. It is far less effective then Mace. Pepper spray also comes in a range of compositions, the most powerful of which are only sold to those law enforcement agencies, which do use it. The off the shelf stuff civilians are going to be buying is much less potent.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Police generally use Mace, which is a synthetic chemical. It is also illegal to have in most US states and many other countries (as is pepper spray in a much lesser number of places). Pepper spray is meanwhile based on capsaicin, which literally comes from things like peppers and chilies. It is far less effective then Mace. Pepper spray also comes in a range of compositions, the most powerful of which are only sold to those law enforcement agencies, which do use it. The off the shelf stuff civilians are going to be buying is much less potent.
OK, but are there any hard figures on pepper spray effectiveness? All I've seen so far is vague statements that it is not effective in all cases, which is obvious, hell I've seen guys walk into a hut filled with CS gas and be unaffected so there is always a subset of the population that will be unaffected by a certain chemical. But I'd like to see some figures before we dismiss Pepper spray as inappropriate for her needs.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The main problem I have with pepperspray and mace is blowback. If the wind is against you it's all too easy to end up spraying yourself. This is why with most police forces the trainees will have to get sprayed with whatever spray they carry so they know how it feels and how to react in case they accidentally get sprayed. If you're going to carry it, have a friend spray you with it first so you know what it's like, that way if you get blowback in the real world you have a better idea of its effects and how to deal with it.

As for practical options, practice awareness. Learn to see what's going on around you without making it obvious that you're scanning. Move with confidence and project a positive body language, head up, look awake & alert. Wherever you go, walk and move like you belong there. Next, Krav Maga or any of the military based combatives. Easy to learn & retain the skills, and quite effective.

Know and recognize that everything has limitations, and know where those limits are. Too many people fall into the "magic bullet" trap where they think that if they have so & such gadget they are safe. That's a trap that gets them killed.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

What martial arts would be good to train in? Not just for Z, but I'm looking to get fitter again. Any ideas?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Z, my two cents;

Any good defense is layered. First and formost, situational awarness. Your a smart lady, keep out of the fire.

As for one uber non lethal weapon, get three or four. The right tool for the right job comes to mind. Someone mentioned rape whistel, mace/pepperspray, and a good knife.

That was good advice. I know they sell keyring mace/pepper dispensers. They also have all manner of small inconspicuous knives, some that go on a key ring as well. Along with a nice hard bat or batton that fits in your purse/gymbag/backpack, backseat of the Z-mobile.

Elevation in Force has more to do with threat assesment, and since I don't know anything about your situation, I really can't advise too much. But make a plan, layers and layers. Cover the most obvious situations.

:wink:
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Yosemite Bear

I mentioned the 170db rape horn.

which was part of my mom's kit during the 1970's:
1. Rape horn
2. club or swinging weapon (including bike chains in her purse)
3. small purse gun
4. more keys then she actually used

of course my mom still hustles ex-military types at shooting ranges....

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I mentioned the 170db rape horn.

which was part of my mom's kit during the 1970's:
1. Rape horn
2. club or swinging weapon (including bike chains in her purse)
3. small purse gun
4. more keys then she actually used

of course my mom still hustles ex-military types at shooting ranges....
Good point, lots of noise to make others aware of what's happening.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Ravengrim
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Ravengrim »

Stofsk wrote:What martial arts would be good to train in? Not just for Z, but I'm looking to get fitter again. Any ideas?
Well what are you looking to do? Do you want to just defenf yourself and be done with it, or are you looking for something that is more spiritual? I have mentioned a few really good quick-n-dirty ones, but if I were to take a Oriental martial art I would probably go with Tai Chi. It is very spiritual and inward-looking, in addition to being very effective physically.
I'm a worthless twat.
The Yosemite Bear

I took TKD

I suggest Judo or Jeet (good physical discipline, and for Ms. Z.'s case address tactics early and directly for dealing with much bigger folks)

(you wouldn't believe the hell I went through to post this)

General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

Stofsk Wrote:
What martial arts would be good to train in? Not just for Z, but I'm looking to get fitter again. Any ideas?
Fencing. It is not a martial art, but a combative art based on the honour duel. I would recommend sport fencing, foil to start, at the recreational level. There are also 'classical' fencers, who train with the weapon from a martial arts perspective, and include grappling and multiple opponent training.

Be more careful around pure sport clubs; if they won't take you seriously because you don't have time to compete, they are no fun at all. Most clubs tend to aim for a healthy mix of serious competitors and feeder fencers. Look for a good teacher; a good club will have at least one good coach and a few students you can train with rather than against.

If you are not in good shape to begin with, the moves are adjustable; you can break yourself in at your own pace. You learn coodination and how to think and move at the same time. I think you might find the tactical components interesting, but if you can get a partner who's game, you can still swordfight. :)
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Self defence gadget numero uno: Shoes you can run in+fitness.

Let's face it, these puppies have saved more lives than pepper sprays, guns, knives and tasers combined.
This is no joke either.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:and make the Self defense Akido, Judo, or Wing Chung/Deet Kwon Do
Those are all good, but I personally I'd recomend Hupkido. Its a "soft" style like Akido or Judo in that it realies primarily on precision and knowledge of pressure points and leverage rather than power to achieve its affect, but it tends to be more focused and practical than Akido or traditional Judo (as opposed to, say, American Jujitsu).
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
The Yosemite Bear

very nice

I wonder why this thread has spawned all of us Martial ARts hijackers....

still AIR HORN

bark is much more efficiencnt then bite, oh and speaking of bite, do be afraid of natural weapons if some guy tries to molest you in public ok...

you have claws and teeth for a reason.