Feasability of Cryonics

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Castor Troy wrote:Cryonics is a pretty much flawed idea. You have the problem with the body's water expanding because they form ice crystals. However, you could suspend a person in a vat of liquid, with nanomachines repairing the body from age, wear and tear.
I think the idea is that you freeze them now, since we don't have nanomachines yet, and later when there are nano-machines you use them to repair all the damage the freezing did.
TrailerParkJawa wrote: Where is this money coming from after the people paying for it have died themselves? What happens to the human-pops once the company goes bankrupt because its poorly run?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who will pay for this, but after a few decades I believe most of the income for any paticular frozen individual will dry up.
There was one company that took people money and didn't bother keeping the bodies cold, but in general it really isn't that expensive. Liquid nitrogen is the third cheapest industrial liquid right now after water and something else - and with good insulation they don't need much of it after the initial stock.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Imperial Overlord wrote:They are hoping that we'll find a way to undo whatever killed them and fix the damage that the freezing and thawing process will do to their corpsicle.
How the hell do you fix cells that have been torn to pieces as the water in 'em crystalized and expanded? I know you can prevent that from happening, but there's no way to restore that unless you go into the realm of nano-wank.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!