Marijuana - God's gift. [WTF]

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Frank Hipper wrote: Again, all I ask is for proof of one (1) person that has died from marijuana use. Not indirectly from being in a car wreck and pot was found in their system, not the train wreck from the 80's that killed several people, but 1 instance of someone who has died directly from injesting weed in the way many die every day, or every hour even, from smoking tobacco.
Careful, there are a lot of people that argue against SHS by applying this same tactic. Marijuana may have killed in the past, certain people react differently to it, but it's not as big a threat as tobacco or alcohol abuse and certainly not Class A stuff.

User discretion is advised since anything can be abused to become a dangerous substance.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

moku wrote:I just found it weird. That's all.
And I suppose tobacco kills more than weed does. Yet it is illegal - and there must be a reason behind that decision. :?
To keep the dirty Mexicans from coming to America, to prevent white women from seeking congress with Negroes and jazz musicians, and to take away an alternative to alcohol during Prohibition. Those were the original reasons. Every new argument since then has been ex post facto justification and about as valid as the previous three.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

And this properly belongs in SLAM. Away we go.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

RedImperator wrote: To keep the dirty Mexicans from coming to America, to prevent white women from seeking congress with Negroes and jazz musicians, and to take away an alternative to alcohol during Prohibition. Those were the original reasons. Every new argument since then has been ex post facto justification and about as valid as the previous three.
The future won't be so bleak, though. In Aceh (northern part of Sumatra Island) they use marijuana leaves as special spice to stimulate your apetite. On Netherland, there was a burger stall succesfully raked huge profits by placing its location near a pot-smoking area. Now imagine if big fastfood chains decide to adopt pots as a mean to boost sales. McDonald's Peaceburger, anyone?
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:The future won't be so bleak, though. In Aceh (northern part of Sumatra Island) they use marijuana leaves as special spice to stimulate your apetite. On Netherland, there was a burger stall succesfully raked huge profits by placing its location near a pot-smoking area. Now imagine if big fastfood chains decide to adopt pots as a mean to boost sales. McDonald's Peaceburger, anyone?

If that were a wee bit more condensed that would into my sig... :lol:
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wikipedia - The free encyclopedia
[+] Wombat, my blog
Contact @ mokuias {at} gmail {dot} com
Jedi Council Member

moku wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:The future won't be so bleak, though. In Aceh (northern part of Sumatra Island) they use marijuana leaves as special spice to stimulate your apetite. On Netherland, there was a burger stall succesfully raked huge profits by placing its location near a pot-smoking area. Now imagine if big fastfood chains decide to adopt pots as a mean to boost sales. McDonald's Peaceburger, anyone?

If that were a wee bit more condensed that would into my sig... :lol:
[off-topic]
How many sig character limitations these days? IIRC it's been longer than 200 chars, isn't it?
[/off-topic]
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wombat, my blog
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Background on how it became illegal here.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

And I suppose tobacco kills more than weed does. Yet it is illegal - and there must be a reason behind that decision. :?
"because the government says so, it must be true" is a really bad attitude.
Jedi Council Member

moku wrote: And I suppose tobacco kills more than weed does. Yet it is illegal - and there must be a reason behind that decision. :?
Mind you, during the reign of Taliban government, having sex outside marriage is considered illegal, as well as listening to pop music, and not growing a beard for men.

Yes, there must be a reason behing every law. Whether the "reason" is actually reasonable is another thing.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

moku wrote:I've heard many stories from people claiming tobacco is more damaging than marijuana.

That is true. A marijuana cigarette is far more harmful to your lungs than a tobacco cigarette. However, tobacco cigarettes are also more addictive than heroin, which leads to far more frequent use. Most marijuana smokers don't smoke the equivalent of 20 marijuana cigarettes per day, or even per week or month.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

salm wrote:
"because the government says so, it must be true" is a really bad attitude.
My bad. Rephrase: Every reasonably government...?
Aww, forget it.

[+] Wombat, my blog
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

When you start appealing to the US government on the basis of reason, it's a pretty clear indicator that your argument has no merit.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

Durandal wrote:When you start appealing to the US government on the basis of reason, it's a pretty clear indicator that your argument has no merit.
Agreed. One more thing - is marijuana illegel in all states?

[+] Wombat, my blog
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

moku wrote:
Durandal wrote:When you start appealing to the US government on the basis of reason, it's a pretty clear indicator that your argument has no merit.
Yes. Alaska held out until the past ten-fifteen years, though. And some states have varying degrees of penalties.
In California anything below an ounce is considered a misdemeanor, in Arizona, a seed is a felony.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

moku wrote:
for recreational use, yes. though iirc some states permit it to be grown for medicinal purposes.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

Thanks.
Enjoy the day.

[+] Wombat, my blog