Questions about nuclear energy

Important articles, websites, quotes, information etc. that can come in handy when discussing or debating religious or science-related topics

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Re: Questions about nuclear energy

Post by sketerpot »

Modax wrote:How are these things supposed to generate electricity without water and steam? Unless its some kind of uber-radioisotope generator...
They use heat pipes to transfer heat to use with steam turbines (sold separately, some assembly required). The reactor itself is a self-regulating load-following constant-temperature tub of hotness. It can also be used without turbines for industrial heat.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

fnord wrote:Is there that much half-used nuclear fuel available? Enough to jump-start your fleet of GWe-class LFTR? Americium ingrowth from Pu-241 decay might prove to be an embuggerance and require a harder spectrum, with attendant boost in fissile loading (ISTR >5t/GWe compared to 800 kg) - DOE's existing U233 stock won't stretch too far.

Or are you looking at other sources of fissile, such as ex-military stocks?
Ex-military stocks, of course was something I was thinking of, and final implementation is going to take a bloody while, so we've got some time to work on generating other sources as well.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

On the note of steam pipes: how possible would it be to take the waste heat generated by the a NPP and use it to heat homes?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

Zixinus wrote:On the note of steam pipes: how possible would it be to take the waste heat generated by the a NPP and use it to heat homes?
That's called combined heat and power, and it's sometimes feasible, depending on where you put the power plant.
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

sketerpot wrote:
Modax wrote:Snip "too good to be true"
They use heat pipes to transfer heat to use with steam turbines (sold separately, some assembly required). The reactor itself is a self-regulating load-following constant-temperature tub of hotness. It can also be used without turbines for industrial heat.
Cool. I'm very glad to be wrong in this case. A reactor such as this will be the perfect power source for my secret underground lair! :twisted:

No, but seriously: these reactors should definitely shut up the people who keep saying nuclear isn't "cost effective".
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Zixinus wrote:On the note of steam pipes: how possible would it be to take the waste heat generated by the a NPP and use it to heat homes?

Very feasable. I noted that in my original proposal--huge banks of nuclear powerplants which simultaneously produce electrical power, and then use waste heat for desalination, for hydrogen cracking, and for area steam-heating and even cooling (some processes allow you to cool using heat like that rather than electricity)--which are placed inside of major cities. The problem is the political issue with "placed inside of major cities" ; the Soviets however did in fact use waste heat from nukes to heat cities, since they didn't have any retards afraid of having nuclear powerplants nearby, as if this is somehow different from the massive steam-heating plants currently on my college campus, say.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
folti78
Padawan Learner

Post by folti78 »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Very feasable. I noted that in my original proposal--huge banks of nuclear powerplants which simultaneously produce electrical power, and then use waste heat for desalination, for hydrogen cracking, and for area steam-heating and even cooling (some processes allow you to cool using heat like that rather than electricity)--which are placed inside of major cities. The problem is the political issue with "placed inside of major cities" ; the Soviets however did in fact use waste heat from nukes to heat cities, since they didn't have any retards afraid of having nuclear powerplants nearby, as if this is somehow different from the massive steam-heating plants currently on my college campus, say.
Or they simply used waste heat the same way as they used it with previous fossil firing power plants. A bit of anecdotal evidence but the power stations I saw around here, nearly always had bundles of insulated pipes sneaking their way to nearby panel estates, sometimes over a few kilometres of wasteland.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

That's actually exactly what I meant, forgive me for not being so clear.

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Looks like someone caught this necro before me. Yes, this thread will find its final resting place in the Library.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass