THE POPE IS DEAD (Moment of Silence)

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

For his strength and compassion, and courage in the face of death....
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Fire Fly
Jedi Council Member

Post by Fire Fly »

While I didn't agree with everything he taught and believed, I do think that he was a man who tried to guide people to do good unto others, to help and to defend the weak. And no person deserves to suffer from the ravages of Parkinsons Disease. May his soul be at peace.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I find these rest in peace threads strange for a board usually so committed to the stance that death is the end.

There is no longer a Karol Józef Wojtyła to rest in peace. The only things left are the ways he affected the world, and they were a mix of good and bad influences.
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

Vendetta wrote:I find these rest in peace threads strange for a board usually so committed to the stance that death is the end.

There is no longer a Karol Józef Wojtyła to rest in peace. The only things left are the ways he affected the world, and they were a mix of good and bad influences.
Mourning rituals are entirely for the living. It's not the meat we commemorate, it's the memory.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I hope that he rests in peace.

Though he did some things I didn't agree with, much of that might have been as a result of the restrictions that the Pope has (self-incurred but present nonetheless.) Considering the kind of person you have to be to become Pope, I felt that he was a very good man.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

Durandal wrote:If you want to argue about whether the Pope did a good job or not, take it here.
Fair enough- though its not like I could have known that through the thread titles alone.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

RIP. He brought both good and bad influences, and some his stances I did not agree with.. though some stances should've been expected and we probably can't expect the Church to change for a long time. Parkinson's itself is a horrible disease both physically and mentally, and one has to wonder whether or not if the Pope was afflicted he would've at least softened or changed his tone on a few things. Though in the years one has to admit he has done a lot of outreaching to bring a positive change not just to the church but the world. RIP.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Well, he stood for some things I agree with and for some things I disagree with. I think he was a decent guy overall, and I hope he rests in peace.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

It seems as though he'd been fighting death for a while now with all the ailments he'd been through in the past. He can finally be at peace.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Agree with or disagree with him, he's beyond that now.
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

"I am happy--let you be happy, also. Let's pray together with joy; I entrust everything to the Virgin Mary with joy"

If I can die with even a fraction of that kind of peace...
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

He did good and bad. But whatever you have to say about him, he was a badass. You have to be to get shot, almost die and then forgive the person who shot you. RIP
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

...... :(
tumbletom
Padawan Learner

Post by tumbletom »

May he rest in peace....
keep on tumblin, just keep tumblin

TUMBLE ON MY FRIENDS!!!!

"And the trogdor comes in the night...."
"Not this night he doesn"t!!!....um Come in the night!!!um... Trogdor!!!"

-Vin Diesel was the person screaming when Boba Fett died.
-Vin Diesel will grant you three wishes if you can guess Yoda's last name.
-Vin Diesel is the only one to use all 2 gigabytes of Gmail space.
-Vin Diesel is Darth Vader's father.
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

:!: May he rest in peace.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Edited the thread title. This thread is strictly for those who want to wish the Pope a peaceful eternal rest or something similar, not for debates about his policies.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

For one of the greats in history. RIP
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

So passes the best damn pope that poor religion ever had...
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Say what you will about his doctrine, he fought Nazis, Soviets, forgave a man who tried to kill him, and retained his dignity while he suffered from a number of crippling diseases. I may not mourn the death of a man whose policies so adamantly contradict my own, but I will give him the respect he deserves.
Mlenk
Jedi Knight

Post by Mlenk »

May he RIP.....
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

May he rest in peace.

Can't imagine why I didn't put that into my first post.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

R.I.P.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

As others have said a somehwat flawed man like us all, but a great man. A Man who was smarter than I will ever be, possesed of patience and kindness. A Man that died a good death, and in a way I envy and hope when my time comes I can show even a fraction of the patience.

In the end My pope, the only Pope I have ever known, the man whose face I will always think of as the Pope I suspect. As a catholic I have disagreed with him on some areas, but I will miss him.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »