[Official Thread] OBAMA WINS RE-ELECTION

View threads from the forum's history which have been deemed important, noteworthy, or which do a good job of covering frequently raised issues.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: [Official Thread] OBAMA WINS RE-ELECTION

Post by Mr Bean »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:Bean, are you forgetting that if you do go with popular vote, states don't give 100% of their vote to whomever gets a slight lead? If you campaign in states with 55% of the vote and get 60% of the vote landslides there, while saying screw you to the rest, congrats, you still probably lost.
Still does not matter Jogurt, because with those twelve states you have more than enough to win even if you pull 40% in the other states. With 300 million (rounded) if I get 52% of 67% of the total US population I'm at 105 million votes to the other guys 97 million, if he gets 51% of the other 99 million that still means a several million vote win for me. And there are states where I can ignore and still win 60% of the vote. Places like the south where all total the Republican would gain 15 million votes to a Democratic 7 million votes and in that kind of dice close votes the south will swing every election. Not because of they are special but because of how far they swing hard right because in a electoral college the fact that Romney gets a thirty point win over Obama in half a dozen southern states is meaningless, in a popular vote election it means the election.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

So far Mitt has been gracious.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Crowd's definitely classier than at McCain's concession.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Yeah I'm impressed with Mitt right now, yay!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Romney is speaking lets hear it.
Blayne wrote:
But so many other countries with a popular vote system do not have these issues, this reasoning seems very dubious in the face of two important US trends; the deterioration of the eminent sovereignty of the states and of the commonly touted 'melting pot' of the US cultural animus. Regionalism in Canada for instance is frequently criticized as polarizing (see transfer payments) and hindering governance.
You don't have the south where blatant racism is still common place in some states to the point at which we still have school districts in North Carolina draw along racial lines. Areas where you can and will be be stoned for your actions.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

Romney is pumping up Ryan in hopes for 2016?

Overall not a horrible concession speech. No booing when Obama was mentioned at least.
Last edited by DarkArk on 2012-11-07 12:59am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Why is it that Republicans can actually seem human and likeable in their concession speeches but can't show this same level of humanity during the campaign.

This Romney is actually likeable.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

People are starting to scream stuff, some guy shouted something no idea what he said but it sounded angry.

Is it just me or is this his acceptance speech minus the fact he's not winning?

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

And it's over wow.... I missed like half of that getting a drink.

Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

For people who say the electoral college prevents regional fringe policies from winning nationally, what about a situation where states that have >50% EV also have ~52% support for one candidate who has 0% support elsewhere? That's at least as likely as your hypothetical of 90% support in a large number of states and 45% support elsewhere, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather we get a regionally-popular candidate who is ALSO nationally popular.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

So passes Willard, son of George, from the national stage.
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

It's strange that only now after he's lost, Romney finally was able to show that he can be different.

Quite telling.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I wonder if Ryan's presidential hopes are tainted by this result. Americans hate a loser.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

FSTargetDrone wrote:I wonder if Ryan's presidential hopes are tainted by this result. Americans hate a loser.
I think Americans hated Ryan anyways.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Tribun wrote:It's strange that only now after he's lost, Romney finally was able to show that he can be different.

Quite telling.
I chalk it up to "power corrupts." Given the scum he had to associate with to make it this far, I'm surprised he managed to maintain even a shadow of personal integrity. Obama too, for that matter.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Mathews makes a good point that him being a Mormon was never made a campaign point during this campaign.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:For people who say the electoral college prevents regional fringe policies from winning nationally, what about a situation where states that have >50% EV also have ~52% support for one candidate who has 0% support elsewhere? That's at least as likely as your hypothetical of 90% support in a large number of states and 45% support elsewhere, and I don't know about you, but I'd rather we get a regionally-popular candidate who is ALSO nationally popular.
Jogurt, you have to look at the fact that the East Coast Megalopolis, Chicago, and LA are basically a huge chunk of the population. There's no point to campaign in Maine or Montana or Alabama or even in a place like Rockford, IL because they are so unimportant compared to New York City or Boston. The Electoral College isn't a very good system to be sure but at least it makes people campaign in Ohio or Pennsylvania as opposed to simply campaigning in the few major cities that have some giant percentage of the US populace.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Tribun
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tribun »

Blayne wrote:Mathews makes a good point that him being a Mormon was never made a campaign point during this campaign.
Maybe that's an aftereffect of the ridiculous lie that Obama is a muslim. The Democrats obviously didn't want risk to open that can again.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

FSTargetDrone wrote:I wonder if Ryan's presidential hopes are tainted by this result. Americans hate a loser.
Yeah, he's toastier than a fantasy village after the annual dragon rendezvous. He was the young rock star of the GOP base, and he couldn't save the Romney campaign from a humiliatingly crushing defeat . . . though it probably would've taken an intervention on the part of Mormon Jesus to have saved the Romney campaign from defeat by suicide.
Masami von Weizegger
Padawan Learner

Post by Masami von Weizegger »

I don't know. Anything other than a honourable concession speech would draw him a lot of criticism from most quarters and I assume he'll continue to dabble in politics after this. He's likely just looking out for number one on his way out of the presidential arena.

I'd say the "real" Romney is the one who says and does what he needs to do to get ahead, just like he did during the campaign and just like he's doing with this concession speech.
"That a man might embiggen his soul"
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Blayne wrote:
Yes, and it also allows simple concentrations of people to distort a result which respects the entire nation and the interests of intensely different interests across thousands of leagues of incredibly variable ecoregions. The electoral college is one of the few defences we have against a total cultural homogenization that would crush regionalism and localism and pave the way for more suburbanization and more anti-environmentalism, as well as open the way for yet more cultural extremism and for regions literally ruled by hate (like the deep south) to massively distort an election by weighing in with a huge lock-step by race for a particular candidate.

But so many other countries with a popular vote system do not have these issues, this reasoning seems very dubious in the face of two important US trends; the deterioration of the eminent sovereignty of the states and of the commonly touted 'melting pot' of the US cultural animus. Regionalism in Canada for instance is frequently criticized as polarizing (see transfer payments) and hindering governance.

Secondly supposing its true it would crush "regionalism" how is this a bad thing? Otherwise I entirely disagree it will result in more suburbanizing, that is actually a reversing trend in the United States due to demographics and economic trends (more expensive car travel means higher incentive for public transit and living closer to work and friends, etc).

That and we're talking about elections for President whose actual powers in the United States in the executive branch are not so widespread, Congress should be perfectly capable of protecting niche local interests above and beyond what is at best a possibly pleasant side effect of the Electoral College and not its intended purpose.

If that is what you wish then we should construct a system that does so as its intended purpose, and not defend a broken and anachronistic system purely on its side benefits (arguable as they are).
This entire argument is ridiculous because many other supposed "popular vote" states don't even have a freaking direct election presidential system. Some outright have legislatures elect their presidents still, and for most, the head of government is the guy who wins control of the lower house of parliament. I resent and reject any argument based on this ludicrous simplistic notion--what countries have a strong presidential system that elects based on a popular vote? Luminaries like Russia and Argentina and Chile, that's the answer! That's whose company you'd put us in by eliminating the electoral college.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Blayne wrote:Mathews makes a good point that him being a Mormon was never made a campaign point during this campaign.
Meh, I think that's because the President's campaign realized that doing something like that would only turn away Democratic voters. That kind of hatemongering really only works in the deep south which was going to go for Romney anyways.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Wow. Concession speech Romney seems so human.

If this is the real Romney, I think election Romney was a bad personality choice.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Just like McCain in 2008, Romney's best speech was his concession speech. It feels like it's the only time we get a glimpse of the true candidate and the feeling that they're fundamentally decent people who are forced to take hardline positions they don't really believe in to appease their parties.

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Gandalf wrote:Wow. Concession speech Romney seems so human.

If this is the real Romney, I think election Romney was a bad personality choice.
I don't think it is. I think debate Romney, the smug dick waiting to attack people is the real Romney, it fits with how he made his money. Techincally, being able to sell oneself like that in a concession speech fits in with that too.