Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Re: Something big

Post by VT-16 »

I actually started sweating when I saw it at different angles. And then I read the length-estimate. Can't believe the Executor is still larger than this. :shock:

There's also something eerily temple-like about that conning tower, the Imperial-grey coloring just adds to a sense of dread.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^someday I'll do a proper ziggurat, like on Wermis or Tagge's ships... :)

Some recent work:
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Wouldn't mind seeing a regular TIE fighter and TIE Interceptor done up with those style pylons and warhead shrouds (though with only 1 per side rather than the doubles on the TIE Defender here),
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

fractalsponge1 wrote:You can all guess what this is:

http://fractalsponge.net/gallery/assert ... index.html

Amazing. I especially like the broad-shouldered frontal look.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fusion
Jedi Knight

Post by fusion »

Thanas wrote:
fractalsponge1 wrote:You can all guess what this is:

http://fractalsponge.net/gallery/assert ... index.html
Amazing. I especially like the broad-shouldered frontal look.
^I second that opinion. And really awesome, breath taking work. :)
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

More paneling and the thrust-vectoring engine nozzle thing. Why is it so complex? Because I can :)

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Inner wing detailing:
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Holy shit, do you ever pack in the detail. Is any of it generated from a script you wrote, or do you do it all by hand?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

^All of it is by hand, but I have a fairly large bin to rummage around for parts if I feel lazy...

More detail, obverse side:
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

fractalsponge1 wrote:^All of it is by hand, but I have a fairly large bin to rummage around for parts if I feel lazy...
Even the tiling on the Bellator? :shock:
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Yeah, I can probably replicate most the hull plating of Bellator in 30min once I get the parts and design ready. The bulk of the Assertor's paneling was done over a few days, if I remember correctly. Once you've got it down, it's not very difficult.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

fractalsponge1 wrote:Yeah, I can probably replicate most the hull plating of Bellator in 30min once I get the parts and design ready. The bulk of the Assertor's paneling was done over a few days, if I remember correctly. Once you've got it down, it's not very difficult.
Huh, interesting.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Some more stuff.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Almost there. Missile launchers/warhead package next up, probably, then two or three small spots, and off to cleanup.

fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

New stuff:
Warhead launchers - I tried to make it look like a tack-on metal box. It's actually vaguely challenging to make something look like a lightweight non-structural piece. The tubes are smaller than those on my assault gunboat, which has made me realize that my StarWing is huge compared to the supposed 10m one from the games - that's what happens when you extend the fuselage as much as I did I suppose. I guess I won't have to up-scale the platform when I go for the missile boat and pulsar wing variants.

Upper wing ion cannon:

Maneuvering thrust nozzle at wing-tip; this thing really is like my first tie-defender, just with real detail instead of boxes...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I haven't said it yet, but what I love SO much about your TIE defender is that its 'beefy' It has room for all the things it is supposed to.

I remember first reading about the TIW Defender and thinking what a good idea it was. a fighter with improved shields, hyperdrive, missiles and ion cannons. It was well rounded and made sense in terms of going toe to toe against X-Wings.

Then when I SAW the ship, it was basically a standard TIE Pod with Three split wings instead of two. No extra room for a bigger reactor, no room for extra shields, no room for hyperdrive, it seemed pure wank.

NOW, now however we finally get a "realistic" TIE-D in terms of over all scale and size.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

A new comparison shot of your TIE-series and the Assault Gunboat is a must-post picture for you, FractalSponge ;-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

More very nice work there.

From memory, the TIE Defender had 2x launchers, 4x turbolasers and 2x ions, but it looks like you're going with 6x turbolasers? Or are those mounts on the underside of the cockpit ball something else? Also, are you going for a one missile per tube thing, with no reloads, or what?
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

These would be lasers, not turbolasers.

The cockpit ball chin lasers I just kept because they were on the other TIEs. Given the layout you could modularize the gun hard points, autoblaster/light lasers everywhere or a few heavy fighter lasers.

Launchers I'm envisioning as single shot for torpedoes, possibly triple packed for light concussion. Gunboat has bigger slots, so bigger torpedoes.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Scale shot, gunboat to 80% of where it was originally, starting to match materials on all of them. Cleaned up the tie bomber, bit too shiny as it is so some work on the texturing required:

xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

Is it just me, or is Vader's TIE a different colour?
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

xt828 wrote:Is it just me, or is Vader's TIE a different colour?
It is, the others are all TESB or post TESB where the "Cobalt Blue" TIE Fighters started, they tried to make them that way in ANH but because of the lack of green screen they couldn't without the TIEs looking transparent so they used the grey/white colouration.

The TIE Advanced X1 and Regular TIE Fighter both have the white/gray, while the TIE/ln TIE Bombers and TIE Interceptors in the films had the Blue, some games like SWG have them All the grey/white except for the TIE/ln, which they made too dark of a blue.

The TIE Defender and Xg-1 appear to be based on the later TIE hull materials/colours.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

That gunship is badass. :D
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

OK, one clear shot of the bomber and some beauty shots, one of the completed Defender and one of the properly scaled Interceptor, with some launchers added and new lights/shaders. The bomber's old, but passable.

Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Sweet, looking awesome, especially the 4 proton torpedo/concussion missile mounts on the TIE/I