It's been a while

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: It's been a while

Post by Simon_Jester »

[glances around]

Huh. Thought this thread petered out. Shows what I know.

I'm interested, but there's a catch. I don't like Discord, and TimothyC can attest from his own experience that getting me to participate on the platform reliably is like pulling teeth. I don't really even understand why.

If Discord is effectively mandatory, or if it'd involve a big workaround to play without it, I may not want to try. We should have an OOC thread like the old days, and try to keep necessary stuff there. A lot of people were quite critical of how the AIM chatrooms that sprung up around the game turned into cliques back in SDNW4. I don't think moving from AIM to Discord will improve things.

It sounds like the consensus here favors a space setting. What are we currently looking at for a ruleset?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Meh, I see no reason to make it mandatory. I'm just trying to figure ways to facilitate the game, not create barriers to entry.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I agree with Simon (also, hey Simon, good to see you again!) that I'd prefer to avoid Discord.

To those who played the last two STGOD's, it should come as no surprise that I'm working up a version of the Orion civilisation, but with a few spacey twists. And a reason to be very distrustful of other species.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Discord can be useful as an organizational tool for communicating with people who do not directly frequent the board much.
But yeah, but no means "needed" especially for anyone keeping active tabs on a thread, and knowing if they are specific needed at any given time.

I am still trying to decide if i want to do something fresh and new, or reuse the UISC :/
Part of me is half imagining using the game to spin my own little stories since my Empire is made up of a number of smaller civs instead of one monolithic block.

On another random note..

In regards to ships and ship sizes...
Because I DO enjoy 'crunching numbers' [even if I indirectly suck at math] I was working on breakdowns for different "big med small" ships and decided to run some calcs based on volume and weight of ships from WW2. Starting with an Iowa BB that clocks in at 48,000 tons, I ran various other ships and worked out what % of an Iowa they were, and got a rather handy ratio system:

Battleship 48000 or 100%
Carrier 36000 or 75% of a BB
Heavy Cruiser 17000 or 35%
Light Crusier 14000 or 30%
Destroyer 2500 or 05%

The upshot, is anyone looking for an easy way to do ships, start with the points of what you want your front line BB to be.. and calculate down from that :3
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Yeah, but a carrier's weight class has very little to do with its striking power. ;) If we're using point value = HP and also a percentage of points as throw weight, having a CV be fewer points than a BB makes little sense. Really, as long as we adhere to a consistent points system, you can fluff it however you want.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I mean, what if we want to build Battlestars? (ooo I could have my Lionheart, Eridanus and Phoenix class ships appear) :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, we've kicked this around long enough. Time to get started. :D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-09-25 01:03pm
Beowulf wrote: 2020-04-08 11:58pm Ok, I tossed some stuff up:
https://kienhui.github.io/STGOD/SDNW8/Tsaj.html

I've still got to make it look prettier, I know. And there's more details to come.
Mainly quoting to ping you, but the link also leads to a 404 error.
Well, I proposed stuff back in April, it's September, so I killed the page. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy and can stick it back up.

--

Regarding the out of context stuff, besides Discord, could also look at either Slack or MS Teams.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Beowulf wrote: 2020-09-28 04:58pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2020-09-25 01:03pmMainly quoting to ping you, but the link also leads to a 404 error.
Well, I proposed stuff back in April, it's September, so I killed the page. I'm pretty sure I still have a copy and can stick it back up.

--

Regarding the out of context stuff, besides Discord, could also look at either Slack or MS Teams.
Fair enough. I'm not really sold on the necessity of using outside services if people don't want to; I was mainly looking for an easy way to ping players, but the board does that now.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!