It's been a while

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Beowulf
The Patrician

It's been a while

Post by Beowulf »

With a bunch of people staying at home, seems like it might be a good time to start another game. Anyone interested?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: It's been a while

Post by Jub »

I'd say yes, but every time I start one I burn myself out on the setup and never actually play.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Tentative yes, depending on the format and who else will end up participating.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Probably yes, depending on exact setting/situation.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2020-03-30 12:32pm Probably yes, depending on exact setting/situation.
Ditto.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ok, what do people want?

Fantasy?
Modern?
Space?

Some combo of the above?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I've done a modern one and a fantasy one, so space sounds good.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I think i'll sit this one out. Too much to write already and I lacked the courage to really bloody anyone else last time.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm. I'm mildly interested but it'd depend. Some of my concepts, I'd love to reuse, but I'd want to see if I could fit them in.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Simon_Jester wrote: 2020-03-30 04:10pm Hm. I'm mildly interested but it'd depend. Some of my concepts, I'd love to reuse, but I'd want to see if I could fit them in.
...I am suddenly having horrible mental images of the SCRAMMing UP and BARIS threads from 2012...but as a whole nation.

Though I did like your Ohians.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'm fine for any setting, if this does start I'll make a nation but don't count on me to be a super active core member.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

You know, a race of giant mobbing songbirds travelling the rings in a literal space opera could be fun
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ok. Looks like people are interested in space. Let's have about a week to flesh out concepts for a space STGOD. I'm thinking something roughly moderate tech? Roughly Honorverse or similar tech level (not magitek, or like general replicators, but higher than The Expanse).

As far as OOBs go: I'm thinking lightly tiered? Points based, with generally points are equal to points. I think that worked decently last time we had a space game. And I don't think extra complexity is really worth it. You can claim a ship is more offensively or defensively orientated in the text, but that is flavor and effects how the battle gets written, not who ultimately wins the battle.

With how editting is limited on the forum, I'm going to be linking to my OOB when I post the thread for it, and hosting it on github.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sounds like fun!

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

from: https://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate ... =alienrace

The gold-shelled race. Their tongues are used not just for taste, but for smell as well. They have many long-fingered manipulatory limbs. They are omnivores, but prefer to be carnivorous. They are precognitive. They have more than two genders, which makes things rather complex. They are rapidly expanding into the universe. They come from a different level of reality.

The hulking, light-based, avian race. They are sterile. They once ruled a great empire, but were utterly defeated in a war. They are locked in an battle with age-old enemies.

The deformed race. The most revered members of their society are strategists. They have elaborate mating displays. They are regarded virtually as gods by some races.

The thin race. They have an advanced sense of touch. Their limbs are not so much specific, but are used for multiple functions. They move by dragging themselves along the ground. They live on light. They are famous for producing hunters. They interbreed easily with other species. They keep their promises - even if it means death. They once came from another dimension.

The misshapen, light-based, skinless race. They now largely live in virtual reality. They are an all-female race. They have a tightly organized military. Alien artifacts figured prominently in their past.

The massive race. They have many eyes. They have two under-developed manipulatory limbs. Many members of their species are entertainers. The species has 'subspecies' that specialize in different tasks. Their major technical achievements are in medicine. They control a vast galactic empire. A past war nearly destroyed them completely.

The graceful, bovine race. Their tongues act as manipulatory limbs. This race has relatively undeveloped limbs. This race is able to adhere to solid surfaces, making climbing easy. They have powerful claws Their major advancements are in psychic technology. Their world of origin is mineral-poor and is known for being an excellent place to observe astronomical phenomena.

The eel-like race. They have six manipulatory limbs. They are omnivores, but prefer to be herbivores. Their bodies have useful natural pouches. Their government is ethical in its own way. A past war nearly destroyed them completely. Their world of origin is cold and mineral-rich.

The enormous race of serpent-people. This race has tentacular limbs. This race moves on many legs. They are omnivores, but prefer to be carnivorous. Their government is inefficient. They are regarded virtually as gods by some races.

The deformed, gray-skinned race. Their major technical achievements are in nanotechnology. Their emotions are hard to understand for others. They come from another universe.

---
I'm loving the jelly-brain-slug-cows
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

So, we're going with space this time around? I suppose I could reuse and recycle some stuff from SDNW4.

Speaking of which, Steve's initial pitch for SDNW4 was made on 19 April 2010. The very first iteration of SDN World was made by Zor all the way back on 2 April 2008. How time flies.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

As far as the rules go, I think there's not much reason not to rip off SDNW5's ruleset. Any objections? or ideas for revisions?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'd feel comfortable running the same rules we used for the last SDNW set in space.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

For those who weren't around for the last space-based one, can we get a refresher?

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Ok, those all look nicely reasoned and well-presented. I'd be happy using them as-is, and I am already pondering ideas (hmmm...2.5 metre tall four-armed bipeds flying Battlestar-type vessels, with a strong fear and mistrust of alien races based on some horrible crime int he distant past but not expansionist...must make some notes)

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I have an idea for a race of extragalactic engineers who came in several giant arks (500 point superheavies) with the goal of galaxy lifting this entire galaxy back to their home galaxy and feeding it star-by-star into their galaxies already colonized supermassive blackhole as a mean os stockpiling energy for distant millennia. The issue with this plan is that it's unlikely they can manage to even get the galaxy lifting project started without the numerous intelligent species of this galaxy banding together to stop them.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sounds like it'd be better as a later-game random event than a player nation if I'm honest, like some of the crazy shit that pops up late-game in Stellaris.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

That might be true, but I can picture them setting up shop in as an appropriately powerful empire. The RP side would be their internal struggle of how to accomplish this goal. Externally we'd have the diplomatic angle of the races that already lived in this galaxy figuring out who we are and what we want. If that doesn't sound interactive enough I can have entirely different ideas that would also be fun to play, this was just the first one that came to mind.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Major objection I have is that moving even a star is beyond that tech level I was thinking of, let alone moving the entire galaxy. As you mention, you'd end up with most if not all of the players banding against you, which I don't think is what this game needs.