2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: 2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Sorry, shortly after this post I got caught up in the logistics of a large-scale move of stuff from my apartment to two different locations in different states and my wife having to spend a lot of time in said other state on business; I forgot to reply]

Who's running the outpost? The UOCSR? And, am I correct in thinking that it sounds like they were pretty much planning to ignore the (admittedly dysfunctional and strategically irrelevant) Lothali government in setting it up?

Also, how thoroughly were you planning to paste those pirates? What's left?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Eternal Freedom - not to be a cunt, but if that old guy had lived through decades of racism, he'd be very sensitive to it coming back now. That said he's also probably wise enough to know when to make a fuss, and when to recognise that the king is trying. Like Brit Pakistanis, it'd be the 2nd and 3rd generation that might be becoming radicalised, especially if they saw their parents grow up suffering racism.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

madd0ct0r wrote:Eternal Freedom - not to be a cunt, but if that old guy had lived through decades of racism, he'd be very sensitive to it coming back now. That said he's also probably wise enough to know when to make a fuss, and when to recognise that the king is trying. Like Brit Pakistanis, it'd be the 2nd and 3rd generation that might be becoming radicalised, especially if they saw their parents grow up suffering racism.
Not decades, years perhaps. And it was the King (at the time) who lead the efforts to deal with it, so the man and his peers are much more likely to be well-disposed to the Monarch. Plus, Orions tend to be very devoted tot he Kingdom, especially immigrants. More so, he's been here for decades, so he has seen how things have improved, so again, more inclined to like the King. Finally, as the guy says, they fully understand that in this case there was a reasonable cause, it wasn't just racism, and they were all treated very well during their (brief) detainment.

But I left that thread hanging about the King wanting to apologise and decided I couldn't leave it hanging.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Just remembering that there will be people (if not THIS person) who feel offended and persecuted, especially if there is a background climate of racism or nativism.

[Nativism- resentment of immigrants, which may or may not combine with racism. 19th century American nativists would, for example, resent having Germans come to America without necessarily considering Germans to be a distinct and inferior race when compared to their own ancestors]
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Oh indeed. However, in this case, they understand the situation, so it's all good.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

you know what EF - your writing is suddenly feeling very prescient:

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/20 ... um=twitter
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

madd0ct0r wrote:you know what EF - your writing is suddenly feeling very prescient:

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/20 ... um=twitter
That's a bit odd. Though my guy wouldn't go so far as participating in the military operation. Unless it was a piece set before he ascended the throne when he was still a Navy officer.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I've tried for weeks to write the actual launch, and I just can't do it justice. I'm handwaving it away as a success.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

PM me. Or catch me on AIM if I'm online this weekend. We'll sort that thing out. You have an outline/skeleton, yes?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Aside from the follow-up to this rocket launch, I suggest we mvoe the game forwards a month, possibly more. We're getting tot he point where we've had a huge amount going on in only five months. A fast-forward a few months would allow more stuff to happen without the timeline feeling cramped.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Uh, ok. I did do a time jump in my post - it's now early July.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Given the long pause in our actual storyposting I support the idea of fast-forwarding into summer 2014.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well, an announcement of Orion and Underwood's arms trading, plus some hints of That_Guy's new cruisers.

Also, the Protectorate Kingdoms of Fortuna and MArden are going to hold a plebiscite to decide whether or not to form a United Kingdom of Orion. I leave this uncertain to see what people think of the idea.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Also, the Protectorate Kingdoms of Fortuna and MArden are going to hold a plebiscite to decide whether or not to form a United Kingdom of Orion. I leave this uncertain to see what people think of the idea.

Well, maybe not. But I imagine there might be some displeasure from various sectors. Corona, for one.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Hence why I'm leaving it open for the present. Of course, if Corona wants a war, they're welcome to fight one :D

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

....rats. I feel really shitty about jumping back in just to appear to be opposing another player, but I'm completely bereft of ideas of what to do in this world, but I do know Cascadia would probably feel concern about alterations to the political structure of South America.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Is Cascadia willing to defy the self-determination of the nations involved? Are you prepared to fight a war to prevent three nations choosing to unite?

I get that you're struggling with ideas, so I've come up with some of my own. Feel free to have Cascadia disagree with or oppose this, but don't expect to be painted as the good guys for opposing a free democratic choice in another nation.

Now, if you, as a mod and someone running the game, say this cannot happen, that's different, and I will abide by the decision you and Siege etc. make. At the very least this should develop some new story ideas.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh, I'm not saying that. I'm not even saying Cascadia would say "You can't do this". I'm just pointing out that some people (especially those already tending to look skeptically at Orion) would probably see it in a light of "Orion expansionism". On practical issues, it mostly matters on if the protectorates will need investments to get them up to "Orion standard" in terms of infrastructure, standard of living, etc. It's entirely probable that if the costs of incorporation required Orion to trim its military budget, it would be welcomed in just as many circles in the other countries.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Since the game began I've basically envisioned the Protectorates as something akin to, I dunno, Norway or Denmark, they have modern-ish infrastructure and first-world standard of living, they just don't care about the outside world beyond trade, hence very limited militaries and not getting involved in big international stuff. Orion's been helping them improve infrastructure for years anyway, witness that Fenris Nuclear Plant I opened in Fortuna in a previous post.

So, OOC, I'm ok to go ahead and write up the Union?

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I don't have a problem with this OOC. I just want to be clear that I would intend for there to be In-Character consequences.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Naturally, I'm all for that if it drives some new storylines. That's the whole point really.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Indeed.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Things move forwards on the political union, and Orion continues it's efforts to eliminate the drug trade. There will be no mercy.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

So, Orion has obliterated the drug cartel/mercenary/dissident compound. AS i said in the results section, this will have an effect on the upcoming plebiscite, I hope to have the post about that up in a few days. But as a taster, the 20% or so of the populations who vote no are going to attempt to break away from this new United Kingdom and form a "Fortuna/MArden in Exile" rump state. Basically, my soon-to-be-expanding nation is heading for a small civil war.

For those curious, the Warhammer gunships are my army's name for AC-130s, whilst the Longbow helos are my name for the RL British Apache Longbow attack helicopter.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Two thousand fifty eight?

Dude, the artillery never gets them all...