SDNModernNations; question of superweapons

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

SUPERWEAPONS AND YOU, what is acceptable?

No Nukes, yes nuklear power
25%
No Nukes or power
No votes
Nukes possible
No votes
Small nuclear arsenals
13%
NO NUKES, CHEM, or Bioweapons
25%
Bizarre Superweapons ok
13%
Superheros and Superpowers ok.
13%
No Superweapons, or Superpowers
13%

Total votes: 8

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

SDNModernNations; question of superweapons

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Poll thread to settle this open question, please fill in the poll with what you find acceptable to actually play with. You can vote for all the options or just one. Please also post with your preferred option. (I really want this settled so I can finish setting up my nations histories.)

No nuclear weapons allowed. This allows chemical and biological weapons, and allows nuclear power.

No nuclear weapons or nuclear power, still allows chemical and bioweapons.

Nukes are possible to develop but no-one starts with them. Similar to SDNW2.

Small starting nuclear arsenals possible but expensive. I'd aim for a max of no more than 200kilotons per nation and no fusion weapons personally.

No Nuclear or other real world WMD's. Still allows Aircraft-carriers as the biggest real world WMD's in game.

No nukes but bizarre superweapons ok. Things like Red Alert's Iron Curtain or Ace Combats flying aircraft carriers.

Odd man out, Superheros ok. Iron Man and X-men analog's to spice things up. Not silver age Superman.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDNModernNations; question of superweapons

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I see no point in prohibiting nuclear weapons if we allow weapons or people of comparable power.

Relatively weak super heroes might be fun, but maybe some people would prefer something more realistic.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I abstain. What is this? If we're proposing to end-run the mods because both of them are probably asleep right now, I want off this crazy train; I'm on their side. They shouldn't have to put up with this kind of thing when they've already made a ruling on at least one part of what's at stake in this poll.

It's a matter of public record what I want with respect to nuclear weapons. I have already made it very clear I'm honoring the mods' wishes in the matter, both for the sake of orderly moderation of the game, and out of personal respect for them.

Their ruling was quite simple: Nuclear reactors yes, nuclear bombs no, in case anyone's forgotten.

As to the rest, I'm staying out of this until the mods have a chance to comment.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Simon as far as I am concerned there are no mods. Did we vote for them? NO. We didn't. Yes I know that Siege and Steve are favored by many but I don't care. This poll is way more effective then mod's.

MOD's have never ever done anything positive in STGOD's on SDN. At most they approved budgets but they never solved actual player disputes, or solved problem players. Hell it is quite agreed that things like MOD hammer states are BS in the main thread. IF any mod had a positive influence on any of these games I might agree with not posting this poll, but they never have.

Hell as far as I am concerned Steve already DQ himself for even needing the roll call thread since he is obviously not paying attention to the thread.

So show me where the players actually voted rather then you declaring them mods.

EDIT: Just because this is my active hours doesn't mean I'm trying to run around the "mods." Poll lasts forever. B) fuck you simon. If I have to share a sleep cycle with everyone to be a part of this then why can't you share mine? (Or formless' which is even more extreme.) No instead you ascribe motives that I do not share just cause you are antsy.

EDIT2: the whole point of this is that just saying "no Nukes" is pointless. There are many other possibilities that need discussed that the statement doesn't address.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Simon as far as I am concerned there are no mods. Did we vote for them? NO. We didn't. Yes I know that Siege and Steve are favored by many but I don't care. This poll is way more effective then mod's.
While we seem to have Old George'd* Steve & Siege into it, you are the first person to voice a complaint, and you did so in a very crass & childish manner. Bring it up in the main thread rather than attempting an end run around the defacto decision.
Agent Sorchus wrote:MOD's have never ever done anything positive in STGOD's on SDN. At most they approved budgets but they never solved actual player disputes, or solved problem players. Hell it is quite agreed that things like MOD hammer states are BS in the main thread. IF any mod had a positive influence on any of these games I might agree with not posting this poll, but they never have.
Hey, Fuck you too buddy. Do you know how many nights I put into the fighting in Manchuria & Panama in SDNW3? Do you know how hard it was to smooth over disputes in that game. How hard Steve and I worked to keep that game from exploding? How hard Steve worked in SDNW4 to keep the game running - only to watch it fall apart when his advice was ignored? No?

Then shut your trap.
* Relevent Quote:
The first step is to appoint a Chief Designer who will have full authority over the program. Everybody sits around, not daring to move until somebody remembers that "Old George" is away on vacation and won't be back for ten days. "Old George" is promptly appointed Chief Designer and the paperwork rushed through before he gets back and can change it.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Sorchus, if you want to play an unmoderated game, go start your own. Don't be willfully disruptive of ours.

So far, you have made little or no contribution to this game. Except, of course, to 'suggest' things most people think are bad ideas, then whine when you don't get your way. You've gotten into distracting arguments with at least three people, you've tried to shoehorn your way into the backstory of two of them with a battlecry of "FUCK BACKSTORY!"

Now you are complaining that the mods have failed to sort out problem players. Well guess what? I think the problem player is you.

And hell, you've already threatened to take your marbles and go home.

So be proactive in solving our problem player problem, and either quit bitching about every goddamn thing, or just go away and leave us in peace.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Simon as far as I am concerned there are no mods. Did we vote for them? NO. We didn't. Yes I know that Siege and Steve are favored by many but I don't care. This poll is way more effective then mod's.

MOD's have never ever done anything positive in STGOD's on SDN. At most they approved budgets but they never solved actual player disputes, or solved problem players. Hell it is quite agreed that things like MOD hammer states are BS in the main thread. IF any mod had a positive influence on any of these games I might agree with not posting this poll, but they never have.

Hell as far as I am concerned Steve already DQ himself for even needing the roll call thread since he is obviously not paying attention to the thread.

So show me where the players actually voted rather then you declaring them mods.

EDIT: Just because this is my active hours doesn't mean I'm trying to run around the "mods." Poll lasts forever. B) fuck you simon. If I have to share a sleep cycle with everyone to be a part of this then why can't you share mine? (Or formless' which is even more extreme.) No instead you ascribe motives that I do not share just cause you are antsy.

EDIT2: the whole point of this is that just saying "no Nukes" is pointless. There are many other possibilities that need discussed that the statement doesn't address.
Tell you what. I will start a thread on a vote on whether to boot you out of the game. I will guarantee you the number of people who would be willing to give you the boot will not be unsubstantial.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Thread locked. This is not the way to do things.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs