SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ahem.

Here is a link to a first draft of a proposed map. It contains only a few nations, the ones I'm reasonably confident of placing without having talked to their owners in this thread. If anyone who owns one of the nations portrayed on the map wants to move, that is TOTALLY FINE. Shinn, in particular, may want to move, and take his micronations with him.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/73239306/SDNW5_Map_Draft.png

Other people will want to play around with this to figure out where they can go, or negotiate about where to go, and I am happy with that and want lots of that to happen. But this way, me and a few others have turf staked out, and everyone else at least has a coordinate system so they can say "I want sector G-20."

One thing we need to do is pencil in blobs of shoals (like the dark green squares labeled "The Badlands").

Oh, by the way. One nation doesn't have a printed name on this map. I think you can guess who they are, though... ;)
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDNW5 Map Discussion Thread

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

I will definitely need to move the Holy Empire someplace else, but before I do that, I want to see where some of the other nations (namely, the Grays and possibly the Volscians) want to go first. I may also need to rearrange the territories of the Holy Empire and its neighboring micronations as well.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OK. I had the Empire there mostly out of inertia. We'll see how things evolve.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Here's my own suggestion :

Stellar Nation :

- The Hub : [P-16]
- Ascension : [S-19]
- Terminus : [U-22]

Terminus' shoals : [T-21/22/23][U-21/22/23][V-21/22/23]

Placement suggestion :
- The Hub should be placed roughly at the center of the map, or close to it. It should at least give the impression that it can be at the center of most trade routes in the region.
- The three sectors should be at warp-gate distance from each other.
- I have no problem with Terminus or Ascension being enclaved into someone else's territory, but you should tell me, 'cause it will have consequences on the historical background between our two Nations.
- The Terminus Shoals are a pirate nest, so any Nation with its territories directly next to them will expose themselves to a lot of attacks.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Must we place your dot sectors three sector-widths apart? It significantly increases the volume of mapspace that is 'stuck' as allocated to your nation, which can get awkward. We already have two very expansive, physically large state in the League and the Holy Empire (plus its micronations).
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Eh Simion, did we deiced it was ok for me having two sectors? Since we worked out a way to expand my distance by using FTL Vacuum tube radios an such :P
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah, sure.
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Simon_Jester wrote:Must we place your dot sectors three sector-widths apart? It significantly increases the volume of mapspace that is 'stuck' as allocated to your nation, which can get awkward. We already have two very expansive, physically large state in the League and the Holy Empire (plus its micronations).
Not necessarily. It was more to get Terminus as far from the Hub as possible, with Ascension in between acting as a relay.

What can be done is to have terminus and Ascension be at Warp-Gate range from one another, and having The Hub at Warp-gate range from one of my allies/people-I-share-a-trade-route-with - and possibly, if isn't too power-gamey, the whole thing making a warp-gate road between Terminus-Ascension-[Allied Territories]-The Hub.

My only "requirement" is to have The Hub roughly near the center of the map.

But ultimately, in the end, do as you want. :lol:
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, what I want is to do what everyone wants, subject to the constraint of not running out of room on the map.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I just need to be next to the Holy Empire, so I don't know where exactly to put mine either. Space Sweden can be wherever you want it though, if Space Japan wants to be near the Grays/Volscians more.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OK.

Um, look.

What I really want is to see people trying to place their own countries on the map, in whatever locations they feel appropriate. The role I'd prefer in all this is to negotiate conflicts, try to preserve some kind of overall structure, and do rounds of reconciliation to square each person's map drafts with one another.

If everyone declares "I don't want to be placed until everyone else has been placed," I will not be a happy camper.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

LOL And I can soooo see that happening..

"I don't want to go on the map, you first!
"Well I don't know where to go until YOU are done, you go first!.

I'll buck the trend and ask to be put a bit to the left of the "Badlands" so I am still a bit out of the way.
I am hoping the Chams and Omni may be near by. But we shall see.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay then, let me look at the map more closely and I'll put myself down somewhere.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Panzersharkcat wrote:1 2
3 4 5

5 = Neith
4 = Bastet
3 = Horus
2 = Sobek
1 = Isis

Sector names and relative positions. Neith should be around I-16.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Okay then, my map should look like this (at least at the moment):

Arcadia: H7
Reach: H6
Kursk: I7
Miyazaki: I6
London: I5
Berlin: H8
Nome: G6

Does that work? (of course, this is assuming I don't end up next to the Holy Empire...but if this works better then by all means use it).
Last edited by Skywalker_T-65 on 2012-04-14 12:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

The neighbours i want:
Hellenic confederacy
League of thought
UISC
Capella

I'm thinking maybe T-25 or T-27 as the general area of my empire
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Did we decide which direction was which on the map?
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Rabid
Jedi Knight

Post by Rabid »

Scottish Ninja wrote:Did we decide which direction was which on the map?
IIRC, "up" is coreward, and "down" rimward. As far as left and right go, I don't know.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Up is coreward, right is spinward. For the sake of choosing a spot, the rectangle with the corners AA25 and BB27, and I'd like to draw some shoals into CC25 through DD27
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I'd like to be put at Y3 for the moment. May move it if it doesn't fit.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Darkevilme, how's this for the Hierarchy and my guys?

“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Hmmm, assuming the Holy Empire does move, you can probably have it start at about O-24-is and sprawl out to spinward like you wanted, sticks you close to the Belkand and Chamarrans who all look like they could take bites out of you.

As for the Capellans, somewhere around T-20 and it's surrounding space probably fits them.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

If the Helinc and Charms moved a little to the right, I could squeeze between them and the Belkans.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Given the Belkans? That would not be a very safe place for you to be.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

You could as it is - only two sectors, right?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb