SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VII

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VII

Post by Force Lord »

KlavoHunter wrote:
Force Lord wrote:The designers did not like the idea of having an agent feeling himself dissolve to death.
Really, they care about that in the Centrality? :D

From the text it made it sound like Dissolution Pills were something connected to a deadman switch medical monitor.
Our scientists are a bit... inconsistent. :P

And how can you connect a pill with a medical monitor? They're obviously our version of suicide pills.
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Force Lord wrote:And how can you connect a pill with a medical monitor? They're obviously our version of suicide pills.
I figured it could be taken as a suicide pill, or, alternatively, after unexpected death in the field, then be deployed automatically to then remove the body so enemy Space Marines can't eat their brains to gain their knowledge. :D
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

KlavoHunter wrote:
Force Lord wrote:The designers did not like the idea of having an agent feeling himself dissolve to death.
Really, they care about that in the Centrality? :D
Well, you want the agent to kill himself - not defect. Death by dissolution is not an incentive to die for the Central State.
Truth fears no trial.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Tanasinn wrote:Well, you want the agent to kill himself - not defect. Death by dissolution is not an incentive to die for the Central State.
Who, exactly, would be around afterward to tell anyone that death by dissolution pill is actually extremely painful? :P
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

If the disintegration process initiates at the cerebral cortex, it won't be a problem at all.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eh. No harm in making it kill the user painlessly first and dissolve second.

This is standard procedure for liquidations in the Centrality, I think, so long as the subject cooperates. Turning them into a liquid before killing them is reserved for noncompliance.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Siege wrote:I don't mind if you toss it in the thread.
Opinions, Shroom, Force Lord, if Timothy C or Baerne as still around in any capacity? I'm tempted to take no response as a lack of caring either way, and just post it and be done with it, but no one is losing anything by me not posting some Freshman paper I wrote. (Save myself, obviously). So I'm probably just going to wait until Friday, and if I see no dissension, I'm just going to post it.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'm also open to it being posted in the thread.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[modhat on]

I don't know what this paper of yours is, but assuming it's topical to the game in some way, go ahead and post it.

Good to have you back.

[modhat off]
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Simon_Jester wrote:[modhat on]

I don't know what this paper of yours is, but assuming it's topical to the game in some way, go ahead and post it.

Good to have you back.

[modhat off]
It's topical, considering it's about the game.

You know, here it is. If anyone who contributed has a problem with it being public, I'll take it down. But, I would really enjoy commentary on the actual work of the piece.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Just gave it a quick read and, man, I love it. It's like one of those documentaries with the interviews. If this was a TV thing, Siege and I probably ought to have our faces blurred and our voices distorted to protect us from the mob. :D

It's very nostalgic. And, looking back at it, I must say that I'm really thankful for the likes of Shep and Skim in the first games. As horrible as their nations were, they actually took the time and the effort to make the game interesting and helped shaped a great part of what it was (mostly through devastating wars and acts of carnage, but still). It's strange how your thoughts and feelings change in retrospect.

EDIT:

And it's also very awesome how "real" we went about making our worlds, with crises and all that jazz.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Your work's pretty good, Karmic. I think the SDNW4 part could be extended, but it's no big deal, IMHO.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Karmic, I like how you distilled one of my rants right down to "this lead to a very polarized situation". I recall wording it rather more flamboyantly, but I suppose that particular phrasing might not be appropriate for a paper ;).
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

I'm impressed!

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Karmic Knight wrote:
Siege wrote:I don't mind if you toss it in the thread.
Opinions, Shroom, Force Lord, if Timothy C or Baerne as still around in any capacity? I'm tempted to take no response as a lack of caring either way, and just post it and be done with it, but no one is losing anything by me not posting some Freshman paper I wrote. (Save myself, obviously). So I'm probably just going to wait until Friday, and if I see no dissension, I'm just going to post it.
Well, if you really want to, you could mention some of the drama, especially leading up and during the conference between the two powers, which is an interesting bit in itself...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

He already covered that in the whole CATO/MESS Cold War and all the antagonisms there. The paper isn't supposed to specifically delve into specifics, and it can't go in depth with SDNW4 because the game is still in progress.

Gods, SDNW2, those were good times.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:He already covered that in the whole CATO/MESS Cold War and all the antagonisms there. The paper isn't supposed to specifically delve into specifics, and it can't go in depth with SDNW4 because the game is still in progress.

Gods, SDNW2, those were good times.
That entire incident is itself an interesting case study though, with heck of a lot of bickering IC and OOC and drama etc.

And yes, the good old days... the core members of CATO should meet somewhere in the world and indulge in a bottle of beer or vodka or whatever sometime. :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

At last some activity on the story front!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It is good.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I am rather impressed that one of my creations gave rise to an essay.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Your creations ate three years of our lives. It is a monster! :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Your creations ate three years of our lives. It is a monster! :P
Your just jealous that it was not one of your SRHOOMisms that did the same.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oh, I wouldn't say so. The games have been an excellent medium for goofing around. There's a reason why in Game 2, while others were taking over entire continents through sheer debonair suave, or making new weapons system after new weapons system after new weapons system, or committing biochemical atrocities, I got through the entirety of it just by making poop jokes, alliterations and horrible acronyms. :P

Good times, good times.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Force Lord wrote:At last some activity on the story front!
This is as good a time and place to say this as any: I am very disappointed with the activity on the story front, or more precisely the - barring a few usual suspects - almost complete lack thereof.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Speaking for myself, I've been chronically tired, depressed, and distracted, which does not make for high productivity at anything, especially leisure activities that take a relatively high level of concentration and competency. Steve's been working his butt off at his new job, I know that, too- so he's another one.

That said, I get what you're saying, Siege- I do think there are a number of people who either should be writing and aren't, or are writing but so slowly that they can't fulfill the obligations they've taken on. Either way, it's a problem, and one I can't fault anyone for being disappointed with.