Star Trek - Starborn

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Trek - Starborn

Post by FaxModem1 »

Okay, let's say Chuck has a cat in his cabin or bunk, whatever is appropriate for a freighter. An orange tabby that he won in a high stakes poker game. The cat was is his most valuable possession, as it is known for having the same lineage of a certain android commander's pet. Such a thing was made into the must have item for any collector. The cat's name is Speck and it seems to have a bladder problem, pedigree or no pedigree.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Re: Star Trek - Starborn Opener

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Jared Black twitched and fidgeted in front of the Captain's chair. Right now it was his bridge and he still couldn't get used to the idea, especially with only two other stations filled. From the bridge Station LM4 was one of the most welcome of sights. It had been built locally within an asteroid, with an extended spine joining the Star fleet controlled sensor outpost to the bulk transit hub. The whole structure rotated, except for the docks that sat at the center of rotation.

Captain Harley had already left to deal with the situation on the dock, probably he'd already settled into the conference hall while drinking it up with the Captain of the USS Concepcion. Concepcion was their sister ship and also at dock; Captain Egbert was supposed to be a good friend of Harley's.

Jared stopped pacing. The briefing was going to happen soon. He left for the lift with only a token officer in charge, but hey they were officially dockside and under-crewed so there was nothing wrong with that. The lift opened and he was joined by two of the Jr Lieutenants that had now found out that they were counted amongst the senior staff for the Starborn. Ravensburg he recognized well, the number of times he'd almost caused a fight in one of the numerous observatories that also served as cafeteria's for the crew; and Monique was a newish face, but one he didn't mind seeing, especially since she'd been shipped in as part of the Serval assignment.

From dockside the view of LM4 was more like the sort of hell the Starborn had been through this last week. The smell of the disinfectants was the worst, he decided. The sounds they could be ignored, and on a busy station would be common enough anyway; the chaos of unloading was bad, but the claustrophobic nature of the emergency wards on the ship were worse, and the worst part of the ship side hell. The smell though followed you and assaulted your senses. There was no denying that a mildly disastrous event was taking place.

He pushed past a couple of techs that were still busy setting up equipment for the influx of patients, leading the hasty way for the other two Lt's too get to the safety of the long lift ride up to sensor control.

<What do your do in the lift with the First officer?>

<Anyone who gets all the references gets a cookie.>
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

As for Chuck.

You have been at the Station for too long. The Red Fox hasn't gotten out on the good old trade route that the station was founded on for a little while. First it was the drive plate repair, then the radiation leak from the 'repaired' drive plate, then it was that the Captain had heard that an old friend was supposed to arrive, then the reverend had gotten married to the doc and tried to settle down, and now the Captain is hoping and waiting to convince them that the Red Fox was a nice safe place for a young couple. Of course it is hard to argue with the Doc pointing out that the they were all out of RadX and if the drive plate acted up again any would be rescuers would be lucky to find their dust.

So you've found yourself in a rut, going out every morning to the noodle stand and talking to the malformed sentient named Davis (not that you believe that it is his real name). Philosophy was more the pursuance of the occasional Star Fleet officer that found themselves this far out in the Civilian station, though they were usually regulars. Others came to discuss poetry, the old Dominion war and a few other things. Davis is a master of it all, and you don't think you've yet to see him totally out of his depth.

Today is different, not only is there a actually SF vessel here, there are two, and one of them was in disaster mode. The SF officers that worked the sensor station were vastly outnumbered by the sick on board, let alone both of the combined crew.

<You can move about the station pretty freely, the docks are partially closed though you can get back to the Red Fox, and you would be unwelcome up near the sensor. There is a selection of stores and services near to the noodle stand, and there is a couple of other traders standing by a pub. Unfortunately for you the pub's servers recognize you from your extended stay here. One of the traders is talking to a red shirt strawberry blond officer that you think you've seen about before, but always from a distance.>
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Spoiler
Why is it bad that the bartender knows me? Have I not been paying my tab? :lol:
First, go to a store and get some lead lining for my cabin. Don't want Speck to get irradiated. While I'm at it, get some cat food. On the way back, get a closer look at the Starfleet Officer to see if I recognize who it is.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

FaxModem1 wrote:Spoiler
Why is it bad that the bartender knows me? Have I not been paying my tab? :lol:
First, go to a store and get some lead lining for my cabin. Don't want Speck to get irradiated. While I'm at it, get some cat food. On the way back, get a closer look at the Starfleet Officer to see if I recognize who it is.
Spoiler
Yeah, little pay sitting around while the ship is at dock, and at first you were really rowdy, since you thought it was going to be a short stop.
You buy a lead lined cat carrier, it was cheaper and it has the distinction of actually being lift-able by yourself, rather than far more than you could possibly carry.

You pass by close and still don't recognize her face, but you do see her rank pips. Lt Commander, and seeing as you've seen her around occasionally and before the arrival of all the SF ships you can be pretty certain this is the commander of the station, one Alexia Lupin.

You can imagine that being outranked by two grades by the Captains of the vessels would drive her out of the command center.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Buy the Commander a beer and say hi. After all, it always pays to get into the local authority's good graces. If I have the credits, pay off the tab.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Re: Star Trek - Starborn Opener

Post by HMS Sophia »

Agent Sorchus wrote: <What do your do in the lift with the First officer?>
"So" Monique says, standing easy "How long do you think it's going to take for us to get re-crewed and get out of here. I've spent enough time on stations as it is." She doesn't turn to face the other two, though she looks at them out of the corner of her eye, her mouth a thin line.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

"If we're lucky we'll be out of here by next year. The situation is a goddamn nightmare. They can't risk re-crewing us in case we're infectious....or contagious...or whatever the word is. We've been on board a ship with an unknown diesease; we'll be in quarrantine aboard the station for months at least."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:"If we're lucky we'll be out of here by next year. The situation is a goddamn nightmare. They can't risk re-crewing us in case we're infectious....or contagious...or whatever the word is. We've been on board a ship with an unknown diesease; we'll be in quarrantine aboard the station for months at least."
"Great" the woman says, shrugging "A year in this crap-hole of a station." she looks round at the XO, a small smile crossing her face "Pardon my language sir. I know that star-fleet only has the best stations... But what the hell are we supposed to do with ourselves. We cant complete our mission, we can barely go anywhere..." she leans forward, looking at the other junior lieutenant "I'll race you to the holo-deck"
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

"You're on. Winner picks the program."

John looked furtively at Lt. Black.

"If that's ok with you sir?"

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:"If that's ok with you sir?"
"Oh, of course, suck up too the officer. And here I was hoping for someone reliable" Monique thinks to herself, crossing her arms across her chest. "Does that suit you Sir?" She says out loud, no longer smiling.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

We are technically on duty I think. And Jared is our superior.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:We are technically on duty I think. And Jared is our superior.
Oh I know. Monique has an issue with superior officers, and until he proves himself to be worthy of her respect, he isn't getting anything more than the barest bits of it.
(In the game where she is some ten years down the line from this, this is basically the reason she eventually left star-fleet)

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

barnest2 wrote:(In the game where she is some ten years down the line from this, this is basically the reason she eventually left star-fleet)
Is there some other Trek game that was RPed here that I missed?
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

FaxModem1 wrote: Is there some other Trek game that was RPed here that I missed?
No this is over on another RP site, based in the cortex system if you know it.

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

barnest2 wrote:"So" Monique says, standing easy "How long do you think it's going to take for us to get re-crewed and get out of here. I've spent enough time on stations as it is." She doesn't turn to face the other two, though she looks at them out of the corner of her eye, her mouth a thin line.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:"If we're lucky we'll be out of here by next year. The situation is a goddamn nightmare. They can't risk re-crewing us in case we're infectious....or contagious...or whatever the word is. We've been on board a ship with an unknown disease; we'll be in quarantine aboard the station for months at least."
“Doubt it. I know the Commander, at least a little. This station is far too small to keep such a large amount of people in quarantine. But re-crewing is going to be fun with only a third of our crew in any shape to leave.”
barnest2 wrote:"Great" the woman says, shrugging "A year in this crap-hole of a station." she looks round at the XO, a small smile crossing her face "Pardon my language sir. I know that star-fleet only has the best stations... But what the hell are we supposed to do with ourselves. We cant complete our mission, we can barely go anywhere..." she leans forward, looking at the other junior lieutenant "I'll race you to the holo-deck"
“Do watch the tongue a little. But this isn't the best station for this, and it wasn't a Star-fleet project either. So sentiment understood.”
Eternal_Freedom wrote:"You're on. Winner picks the program."

John looked furtively at Lt. Black.

"If that's ok with you sir?"
“After the Briefing go ahead, so long as you can get out from under the captain and find an empty holo-deck. I know you need to unwind after the trip, but save it a bit.”
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Agent Sorchus wrote: “Do watch the tongue a little. But this isn't the best station for this, and it wasn't a Star-fleet project either. So sentiment understood.”
"Aye sir. Sorry Sir."
Agent Sorchus wrote: “After the Briefing go ahead, so long as you can get out from under the captain and find an empty holo-deck. I know you need to unwind after the trip, but save it a bit.”
"Thank-you Sir. I think anyone would need some personal time after a trip like that, if you don't mind me saying so" she says, relaxing a little.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

John looked at his fellow lieutennant and said:

"You'll regret taking that bet Monique, I've got a new far-future RPG program I've been eager to try for a while. Should be a laugh. It's called 40000. I think you'll fit right in with the program."

John smiled disconcertingly, only half convinced Monique would not enjoy it. The other half was worried she would love it and get some dangerous ideas.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:"You'll regret taking that bet Monique, I've got a new far-future RPG program I've been eager to try for a while. Should be a laugh. It's called 40000. I think you'll fit right in with the program."
Monique looks at the other junior officer, smiling slightly.
"And now I'm worried about exactly what you mean by that Mr Ravensburg. Should I be pleased that I'm going to... fit right in?"

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

"I think so. It's set in a far-future war. Survival is the only victory."

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:"I think so. It's set in a far-future war. Survival is the only victory."
"Well then, we'll find out exactly which of us really wants to survive will we?" She says, actually smiling for the first time since they reached the station.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Now I'm very worried. At least I can still out-fight her with a longsword if needs be.
Spoiler
Can we confirm some positing rules? Stuff in italics are thoughts, and other characters don't know them. I know that's basic stuff, but it bears confirming I think.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Spoiler
It's what I used earlier. I'm up for that. Also, why did I have an urge to write "lets see how he handles his longsword" ... I dont have an actual response. I'm waiting for the GM.

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Give me a couple hours and most of the actual rules will be ready. I'll also have something for Fax. As for the use of italics that is fine. GM prompts will always be in <> and OOC from me will be in [].
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Spoiler
Sounds plan like. I will be gone in about three hours though. I'm English, my time zone sucks.