SDN World 3 Commentary Thread III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread III

Post by Steve »

I've considered writing a quick post from the Cascadian POV but aside from best wishes and condolences, official and private, to Natasha and to Germany as a whole, and a plea to the Hugenburg Government to maintain the peace of Europe and all that usual stuff, I'm bereft of ideas.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Heh. Well, so much for the game being inactive....

Anyway, I am writing both a large post with regards to German issues and NPC factions/allies. Please be patient a bit, it might take a few hours.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Byzantium finds the ultimatum distasteful and responds as such.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I don't know if I'll be able to reply until the 25th or after, as I'm going on vacation on the 18th. So, because Mongolia doesn't really have much of a vested interest in the upcoming potential war, it won't do anything.

So, Thanas, that means the actions of the Baron and the court are going to have to be in Unreal Time, if that's okay.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Akhlut wrote:I don't know if I'll be able to reply until the 25th or after, as I'm going on vacation on the 18th. So, because Mongolia doesn't really have much of a vested interest in the upcoming potential war, it won't do anything.

So, Thanas, that means the actions of the Baron and the court are going to have to be in Unreal Time, if that's okay.
That is okay. However, the court does not have to be in unreal time, because pretty much it shall take a while before the case is even heard.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Thanas wrote:
Akhlut wrote:I don't know if I'll be able to reply until the 25th or after, as I'm going on vacation on the 18th. So, because Mongolia doesn't really have much of a vested interest in the upcoming potential war, it won't do anything.

That is okay. However, the court does not have to be in unreal time, because pretty much it shall take a while before the case is even heard.
Yeah, I suppose a major terrorist attack that results in the grave injury of the current Chancellor and the appointment of a new one might, in addition to the deaths of dozens of people might, in fact, delay court proceedings against a foreign national. :P :lol:
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also, the German reaction post may be a bit delayed because I am waiting to hear from my ally with regards to the names of his armed forces leaders. So my post, which will detail events from August 8, may only be posted tomorrow. Sorry about that.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

ALL: I am currently shooting PMs around(and in the case of Wilkens, a SMS) trying to get more nations on board on applying diplomatic pressure to Germany. I'm guessing that an additional 5 or so countries stepping in may give some pause.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Wait... Fin, Shady, me, and the MESS are actually on one side on an SDNW issue? Surely this is a sign the end times are really fucking nigh :D.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Siege wrote:Wait... Fin, Shady, me, and the MESS are actually on one side on an SDNW issue? Surely this is a sign the end times are really fucking nigh :D.

Really though, it'll be up to Thanas. :D
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Well, we've got to do something to liven the game up. I'd say this counts. :D

Thanas, I PMed you my commander's names.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Small post on the German situation is up. Sorry I could not write more about the politcal/military stuff, but I will do so tomorrow.
------------
------------
My LPs
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Mexico has made her position known. For clarification no mobilization is ongoing with the messages posted but I am running my fleet through a quick fit-out just in case and filling up bunkers either way. The Army still has (this being August) probably 10-15% of its strength on furlough helping with harvest-season and related activities.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Small additional note, I included this at the bottom of my build queue as well, I forgot that a few (50) of my ships are now in trials phase instead of build phase so my queue for Q4 1927 has updated slightly.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, in theory, those are updated (and accurate) build queues and OOB for Q3 1927. We haven't hit Q4 yet, have you?

As far as this World War (or potential for one) I still have to kinda do catch-up and figure out my general position.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Everyone: Siege and I have worked out how to resolve this. There'll be a short period of fighting before saner heads prevail.

For more detailed questions, feel free to PM me or Siege.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So anyway, there are several Naval battles coming on. Is there any objection to basing my writing on the penetration tables of Navweaps when deciding results (aside from the dice rolls)?
------------
------------
My LPs
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

So apparently Dijbouti was never claimed by Baerne but was colored in his color on the original map. So is there anyone out there who has a claim on it? Or should the map stand?
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Agent Sorchus wrote:So apparently Dijbouti was never claimed by Baerne but was colored in his color on the original map. So is there anyone out there who has a claim on it? Or should the map stand?
It stands.
------------
------------
My LPs
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Real quick note, that last bit on my IG post was about taking the two best trained and closest to ready crews and sending them aboard two of my four Majestuoso-class ships that would have finished trials in another 2-3 months IG.

-Kingdom of Heaven
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Thanas wrote:Everyone: Siege and I have worked out how to resolve this. There'll be a short period of fighting before saner heads prevail.

For more detailed questions, feel free to PM me or Siege.
Thanas (and Siege) it can't work that way. The whole point of STGODing is that everyone adds to the story. If this was just between your nations/alliances then fine. But now you've got Mexico, the GD, parts of Africa, possibly the Shepistanis, and who knows who else involved. Each of us has an equal right to add our 2 cents to the story and advance it. You can't resolve the GD-tension subset without Lonestar writing his say or the Mexican/Spanish standoff without me being able to add in.

Look I appreciate that folks talk off-line and have good story ideas but once an action trips over and adds participants all of those participants have the right to add their bit to the story. In this case Matt, Sorchus and I have a right to use the flow of the story to insert ourselves as it makes sense. Moreover a proper story flow should allow even more parties to insert themselves as the situation arises (such as how Portugal tripped in to the Dutch war). Asking us to sit back is basically asking everyone else to let this be an SDNWorld FanFic and not a STGOD.

-Kingdom of Heaven
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, if y'all want to take the US up on their offer (hey, the Germans made it and someone picked up on it) feel free to let me know. I'll work with you guys.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

RogueIce wrote:So, if y'all want to take the US up on their offer (hey, the Germans made it and someone picked up on it) feel free to let me know. I'll work with you guys.
Unfortunately the evidence is irrelevant to the incendiary claim of ownership of Gibraltar, despite a historic treaty to the contrary. It might reduce support a little, but doesn't actually calm Mexico's rationale for war.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Agent Sorchus wrote:
RogueIce wrote:So, if y'all want to take the US up on their offer (hey, the Germans made it and someone picked up on it) feel free to let me know. I'll work with you guys.
Unfortunately the evidence is irrelevant to the incendiary claim of ownership of Gibraltar, despite a historic treaty to the contrary. It might reduce support a little, but doesn't actually calm Mexico's rationale for war.
Well yes, but we're going after the main thrust of the war itself: Britain. It is hoped that by defusing that element of it (maybe) we can get away from the claim on Gibraltar.

At any rate, as mentioned, that's really our best card (and only card) to play: we can't really do much else aside from picking sides. And nobody offered to allow a neutral party to examine the review of ownership vis-a-vis Gibraltar.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

...and Sänger has awakened.

Bad Hugenberg. No war for you.
------------
------------
My LPs