SDN World 3 Story Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: SDN World 3 Story Thread I

Post by Lonestar »

Outside Berlin

The train carrying the Lady Katherine and her entourage had stopped outside Berlin, apparently to stock up on coal and water before entering the capital. In truth, it had been to pick up an additional passenger.

Said passenger was wearing the uniform of a Kapitän zur See. As soon as he had entered the train, he handed over his coat to one of the Imperial Guardsmen that had been detailed to look after the princess. His uniform was devoid of any of the decorations that usually adorned the uniform of such an officer. Emblems on both sides of the chest denoted both reserve status and battleship service of at least one year. Other than that, no decorations were worn, besides the three hanseatic crosses of Bremen, Hamburg and Lübeck. The Guardsmen apparently knew him, for they made no move to stop him. Eventually, he entered the cabin of the Lady Katherine. Lady Katherine's mouth quirked up. Sänger must love melodrama.

The Chancellor, dressed in his seldomly used reserve uniform, greeted the Lady with an apologetic nod of the head. "Forgive the deception, Milady. But I fear it was necessary to save face. After all, far better to allow for a private discussion than to have that discussion held in public."

"Of course Chancellor, I'd hate for certain details to become court gossip." Katherine saw Sänger wince ever so slightly. Dominion English had never made the Great Vowel Shift and other English-speakers positively despised the accent.

"I hope you had a pleasant trip so far?"

"It's been lovely. Your officials have executed proper protocol at every step of the way." In fact, Katherine hated protocol-filled exercises but had grit her teeth and bore it.

Sänger nodded, as a faint shudder signaled the train was departing. Soon enough, it picked up speed. "My apologies, Milady, if I am being blunt, but we only have a very small amount of time before we shall arrive. I am sure you are aware of the bad publicity your nation has achieved in Germany, no small thanks to some....shall we say unfortunate portrayals of German's elite in your press. My question is, do you share those opinions?"

"Some of them. I can only say that I prefer to, ah, compartmentalize any pre-existing opinions of public figures when I meet them. I am not some cleric whose opinions are chiseled in stone for all eternity."

"Indeed I can see you are not." Sänger proceeded to think the answers over. Truth to be told, the Lady was a pleasant surprise. She was blunt enough not to make him feel as if he was wasting his time while at the same time being smart enough not to reveal too much about her. This one will bear watching, he thought to himself before continuing.

"If you are marrying the German Crown prince, you will be Empress one day. Maybe even sooner than you think. My question is - can you dedicate yourself to Germany and accept this nation as your prime loyalty, superseding everything else?"

"Of course, that is without question." Katherine turned a little dark at the affront. The chancellor smiled. "My apologies, Milady, but the question was necessary. There were considerable problems with the Emperor's mother, who seemed to act more like a British princess than a German Empress. In any case, I can see that the German Press won't faze you."

The train had by now passed the outskirts of Berlin and was heading inside. "Shall we continue, Milady? The German constitution has outlawed discrimination. The Dominion is...shall we say a race-class state? How do you feel about either of the situations?"

"Well, I would say that the Dominion is certainly not a 'racial' state, all you have to do is look at me. I look more Indian than European. Women and minors are oppressed without mercy in the Hindoo and Moslem religions, by mandating certain requirements for citizenship we've eradicated awful practices like honor killings and the suttee. I understand that this may come across as discrimination, but I understand that in your government the ruling family reigns, not rules. I accept that in that scenario the place of the Empress wouldn't be to influence the governing of the country at every turn." A smile. Katherine leaned forward conspiratorially. "Between you and me, I think my Cousin would end discrimination against secularists if he thought he could get away with it. He likes to talk a lot about instituting a 'cultural change' in the Dominion."

The Chancellor smiled back. "Yes. Of course I cannot say this in public, but I do have a not inconsiderate amount of respect for your cousin." Sänger waited a moment before asking the final question.

"Milady, one of the things we are most in need of is a Royal heir. I shall not impose on your privacy by asking any question pertaining to this, but I would like you to be aware of that situation."

"I understand."

As the train slowed down and neared the station, Sänger stood. "Milady, my apologies for the treatment you have received by me. Matters of state, I am sure. To be honest, I also had expected you to slap me at one point or the other during the interview. In any case, I hope your stay in Germany will be a happy one. Good day to you."

Putting on his gloves and coat, the Chancellor walked out of the cabin. When the train arrived, nobody paid much mind to the traveling officer debarking far away from the princess and the press.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Reichskanzlei, Berlin

"Prince Otto to see you, Herr Kanzler." Sänger nodded and asked Elise to let him in. The Prince entered, wearing the cadet uniform of the 1st. Garde-Infanterie Regiment. "Your highness." "Herr Kanzler." The greeting was polite, but void of any friendship.

Sänger looked at him for a moment. The crown prince seemed a remarkably composed young man, whose face bore no trace of the Vienna Massacre. Of course, he had been only 3 years old at that time and by the terms of the peace treaty, had been placed into the Hohenzollern household. "What can I do for you, your highness?"

Otto sat down and looked at the chancellor. "I would like you to cease blocking my attempts to be crowned King of Hungary." Sänger thought to deny any such attempt, but decided against it. After all, any denial would only make him appear a liar. The Kingdom of Hungary presented a challenge to Sänger. The country had only grudgingly and over the years accepted its integration into the Empire. With the aid payments and the successful reconstruction however, a majority of the Hungarians had chosen to side with Germany, as evidenced by the last election.

Otto however was a problem. By right of heritage, he was heir to the thrones of Austria, Hungary and many other principalities. Sänger had hoped to put this off for as long as possible, which was aided with Otto being only close to 15 years old and therefore to young to assume the mantle of King for all those lands - except for Hungary, where an exemption might be made with the consent of parliament. And wanting to preserve his rights, Otto had decided to silently try for such an exemption. Which Sänger had opposed because in his opinion, the House of Hapsburg had to be kept as small as possible to avoid a possible fracturing of the Empire.

"Your highness, any ascendancy of you to the throne of Hungary will give rise to...certain feelings of secession." "I do not share those feelings. Germany and Hungary, as well as the other Hapsburger territories are indivisible." Inwardly, Sänger smirked at that line, for it sounded very unlike a spontaneous sentiment. "I am serious, Herr Kanzler."

"So you say. Understand that under no circumstance will I permit secession of any kind." "It is not my wish to promote any secession." "So you say."

The crown prince cheek's flushed angrily. "How would you like me to go public with this?" Sänger frowned. "How would cadet Hapsburg like to be transferred to colonial service in the Borneo Jungle?"

After they had stared angrily at each other for a moment, Sänger relented. "My apologies, your Highness." "Accepted." The tone was cold, but more restrained. "Name your terms, Kanzler. I am willing to accomodate them...to a limit."

Five hours later, the two had reached an agreement.
Treaty between the German Empire and the head of the House of Hapsburg

1. The German Empire supports the right of the House of Hapsburg to the following thrones and titles:

1. Statement regarding the relationship between the German Empire and the House of Hapsburg
The German Empire and all its territories are indivisible. No statement herein shall in any way infringe upon this fact or upon the German Constitution.

2. Rights and titles of the House of Hapsburg:
The following rights and titles of the House of Hapsburg shall be transferred to the Head of the House as soon as he is of legal age:
King of Austria, Apostolic King of Hungary, King of Bohemia, Slavonia, and Galicia, Lodomeria, Archduke of Austria; Duke of Salzburg, of Styria, of Carinthia and of the Bukovina; Grand Prince of Transylvania; Margrave of Moravia; Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca; Prince of Trent and Brixen; Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz and of Sonnenberg.

2. Rights and titles to be transferred:
The following titles and rights shall be turned over to the House of Hohenzollern, if they are not already claimed by this house:
King of Illyria, Grand Duke of Cracow, Duke of Lorraine , of Carniola, Duke of Upper and Lower Silesia, Margrave of Modena, Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla, of Auschwitz and Zator, of Teschen, Friuli, Prince of Trent and Brixen, Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and in Istria, Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro, and in the Windic March.

3. Rights and titles to become extinct and all claims to be given up:
King of Jerusalem, King of Dalmatia and Croatia, Grand Duke of Tuscany, Duke of Ragusa and Zara, Grand Voivode of the Voivodship of Serbia.

4. Stipulation regarding the title Emperor
The House of Hapsburg shall inherit the claim to the title Emperor of Austria. If being crowned as such, this title shall make the Emperor of Austria second only to his Imperial Cousin, the Emperor of Germany.

Stipulation regarding the titles of the House of Hohenzollern
Until the Head of the House of Hapsburg is crowned, the House of Hohenzollern may continue to hold the titles Reichsverweser von Österreich und Ungarn.

6. Stipulation regarding succession
Shall any of the two houses become extinct, the remaining house shall be the only and true heir to all titles and rights of the other.

Signed,

Wilhelm II.,
von Gottes Gnaden Deutscher Kaiser und König von Preußen, Reichsverweser von Österreich und Ungarn etc., Head of the House of Hohenzollern

Otto,
Prinz von Österreich und von Ungarn, Head of the House of Hapsburg

Sänger,
Reichskanzler

Sänger sighed as the prince left his office. The prince had already signed and now it was up to him to convince Wilhelm. He did not foresee any problems. After all, this would deal with the issue of separation. The House of Hapsburg sacrificed their external autonomy as well as their Italian territories in exchange for German support. Sänger thought it was the best deal that could be made under the circumstances.

Of course, the problem was that in the next future, he would have to deal with not one, but two Emperors. Of course, the Emperor of Austria would have no real political power. But the Chancellor was well aware of the power of public opinion. Otto bears watching.

The next day, the Reichstag passed the law and Wilhelm II signed it.

Wilhelmshaven
Contraalmirante Don Juan Gravina y Castaños, Commander of the Spanish fast squadron, entered the Harbor with his squadron to a thundering salute of the Hochseeflotte.

His squadron was composed of the 2x Ersatz Yorck-Class battlecruisers Real Felipe(flag) and San Josef, supplemented by the new battlecruiser Santissima Trinidad, which was on her first sea trial cruise and would receive AA guns from the German Navy. His force was accompanied by four Almirante Cervera-class Light Cruisers, the two German-built Brummer class cruisers and 18 Churruca-class destroyers. Over the following weeks, they would conduct maneuvers with the HSF and the ships on sea-trials. A reunion between the two Navies had been highly anticipated and was of a particularly friendly tone.

That same evening, a French squadron composed of the Richelieu-class fast battleships, FS Richelieu and the FS Corbet as well as 24 Clemson class destroyers entered the harbor. They too would take place in combined Fleet exercises with the Hochseeflotte off Helgioland.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Diplomatic Telegram

TO: HRH The Prince Otto, Prince of Austria and Hungary

Your Royal Highness,

On behalf of HRH The Sultan of Egypt I offer congratulations on the signing of the preliminary treaty allowing you to hopefully soon assume the title of King of Austria and Hungary as is befitting of your birth and station. His Highness has instructed me specifically to commend you for your magnanimous decision to give up your claim to the title of King of Jerusalem, a point which has for centuries been a point of contention between your house and the Sultanate of Egypt.

For this most wise decision the Sultan by Royal Decree has seen fit to bestow upon you the title of Antara Fawaris al-Kalimah, or Commander in the Order of the Knights of the Word of God. This high award is bestowed upon those who have performed a great service to the Faith, and entitles the bearer free and unrestricted access to the three Holy Cities of Islam and, by extension, the entire Sultanate.

The Sultanate looks forward to building a fruitful relation with you and your house and estates.

As-Salāmu `Alaykum

Aly Dessaix Pasha
Wazir ud-Daula for the Sultan of Egypt
OOC: I can do medals and titles too :D.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Co-written with Thanas

Stadtschloss, Berlin
July 1st, 1927

Earlier on, the treaty between the German Navy and Constantinople Shipyards had been signed.
Contract between the German Navy and Constantinople Shipyards Pte. Ltd.

The present contract is to be signed between the Kaiserliche Marine (in the following referred to as KM) and Constantinople Shipyards Pte. Ltd. (in the following referred to as CS).

A. DEFINITIONS
For the purposes of the present contract, the following expressions are to be understood in the sense hereafter defined.

1. Standard Displacement
The standard displacement is the displacement of the vessel, complete, fully manned, engined, and equipped ready for sea, including all armament and ammunition, equipment, outfit, provisions and fresh water for crew, miscellaneous stores and implements of every description that are intended to be carried in war, but without fuel or reserve feed water on board.

2. Ton
The word "ton" denotes the ton of 2,240 lb. (1,016 kilos).

(rest snipped)

B. TERMS OF THE TREATY

1. Primary duties
Under the terms of this treaty, Constantinople Shipyards Pte. Ltd. will built 24 6000ton transports according to a design submitted by the German Navy. In return the German Navy will pay a sum not less than .....

2. Construction of the ships
Construction is to start at the shipyards of CS no later than July 10th, 1927. The ships shall be launched no later than June 1928 and be turned over to the German Navy for final fitting out or complete the fitting out phase at CS. In case of the latter option being chosen by the KM, the KM will pay a sum not less than....

3. Materials used by CS
CS shall have a choice of either using steel provided by German companies or equivalent Byzantine products. This option shall equally apply to all other materials used by CS.

4. Materials to be imported from Germany
Notwithstanding previous clauses, Armor plating has to be purchased from Krupp industries. CS may substitute this with Byzantine armor plating of equal quality, providing it passes muster at the KM proving grounds.
All weapon systems have to be purchased from German Armament companies.
The Engine of the ships has to be imported from Germany.

5. Standards
All components as well as the ship have to confirm to German quality standards. KM shall be allowed to conduct regular tests. All ships have to pass inspection and sea trials before final payment is made.

6. Exceptions to the above clauses
Should extraordinary circumstances prohibit a Byzantine adherence to Article 4, Byzantine companies shall be allowed to license-produce the components needed. Design plans of all parts mentioned in Article 4 will be delivered to the German embassy at Constantinople to be turned over to Byzantine industries in such a case. This license only applies to the amount of parts needed.

7. Disputes
In case of any dispute as well as the adjudication of damages to be paid by any party a neutral panel composed of the Republic of Cascadia and the Sultanate of Egypt shall render final judgment.

8. Cancellation
Either party may cancel without any damage incurred until August 1st, 1927. After that period, no party may cancel until a replacement for the canceling party has been found.

*snip rest*
Of course, this had been a formality - binding notes of understanding between the nations had already been exchanged. But it had given the nations the excuse to host a banquet - and to allow for a clandestine meeting between the Princess Komnena and the German leadership. After all, both nations understood the importance of saving face. And so it was that Chancellor Sänger and his wife met the Princess in one of the smaller chambers of the Imperial Palace. Natasha, whose pregnancy had started to show, had suggested she come along because the last thing that would help anybody were headlines of "Byzantine princess caught alone with Chancellor in illicit meeting". Sänger was very thankful for his wife coming along. He - or rather Hans - had also noticed the two men guarding the princess. No doubt these were Varangian Guardsmen posing as sub-contractors.

"Your highness." The Chancellor indicated a seat at a small coffee table. Alexandria bowed, and replied, "Thank you, Chancellor." While the Princess was seated, the chancellor helped Natasha to her chair.

"Your highness, how do you find Germany?" Natasha was the first to ask a question.

"Germany is excellent, m'lady. Quite fine actually. German foods take some getting used to, but fine otherwise. Those sausages served were excellent I might add. What are they made of?" "Oh, these are a gift of the city of Nürnberg. To be honest, nobody knows - they guard the recipe religiously."

After a few more minutes of small talk, Sänger posed the first serious question. "Your highness, given the situation the German Empire finds itself in, can you imagine what you would do if you were Empress?"

Alexandria paused, then asked, "What exactly is expected of the German Empress? I admit not being too familiar with German culture, although I must express a certain desire to continue my current career. However, I would, as expected of any Empress, participate in the usual court duties and ceremonies as expected a royal consort."

Sänger nodded. "Would you feel comfortable continuing your current career with a German firm? After all, a working Empress will take some time getting used to, and even more so if she does with a foreign company."

"That is a possibility yes, given the fairly vibrant German economy."

Sänger digested these questions and then continued. "Your highness, as I am sure you know the vast majority of our people are either protestant or catholic. How do you feel about those religions?"

"I am Orthodox Catholic. The Byzantine Empire has been generally tolerant of religions over the last few centuries, with schisms largely swept under the rug over the last few centuries in the name of national unity. I am quite comfortable with either religions, though the Patriarch of Rome might suggest otherwise. However, it is customary for Byzantine Princesses to be wed in the Hagia Sophia with the Ecumenical Patriarch providing the blessing. It is more a question of whether Germany would tolerate such a ceremony."

Sänger nodded. "This would indeed present a serious challenge, your Highness. For it has always been the tradition of the Empire to have the wedding in Berlin. And I highly doubt the German conservatives will accept anything else."

"There's always the option of a second ceremony."

"Perhaps, but let us continue, shall we."

"Would you feel comfortable with the new German constitution?"

"That the monarchs in general have reduced power? Certainly. The Byzantine Emperors haven't much say in domestic matters anyhow, and largely concerned themselves with foreign policy, with consultation with the High Senator of course."

Sänger nodded. "Very well."

Outside in the hall, von Stresemann, the Foreign secretary, was seen chatting to his Byzantine Counterpart. "Exarch. I was wondering if we could talk?" Decius nodded, and left Nika Phoros to manage the princess.

"I was wondering what the Emperor hopes for regarding this possible marriage, especially when it comes to international politics?"

Decius thought for a while, and replied, "The Emperor, in general, hopes for a friendly relationship with Germany, in as much as he wishes peace in Europe. Further, he believes that Germany is an excellent trade partner with whom substantial trade is conducted with yearly and that the Germany Navy will be instrumental in the safeguard of trade routes.

As for alliances, the Emperor sees no reason to elevate the current status of our relationship to that level, but rather he sees Germany as a partner in European stability. We would like a strong friendship at present, nothing more, nothing less."

Stresemann nodded. "Of course."
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Co-written with Thanas (yes, also ;))

Cairo, Egypt

The German delegation had been shown into the Dar Al Masyaf Palace at the center of the north enclosure of the Citadel of Saladin through a secret door, as had previously been arranged. The Germans found themselves whisked through many-columned corridors brimming with ornately mosaicked floors and gold-embroidered tapestries, lead on by servants who spoke in hushed reverential tones. Even the sheer grandeur of the Sultan's second-largest palace however couldn't distract the visitors from the fact that the palace halls appeared curiously empty, and at least once a member of the delegation thought himself passing through a hallway the delegation had already moved through earlier.

It dawned on the Germans that they were lead on a deliberately confusing route through the labyrinthine maze of the Dar Al Masyaf. One of the younger members of the delegation smiled as he pointed it out to his fellows, whispering his belief that the Sultan surely must want his visitors to believe his palace greater than it actually was. The remark earned him a stern, reproving glare from one of his peers, a man who was more familiar with the intrigue of the Sultan's court. He knew that the Sultan cared little for the impression foreigners had of his residence -- in fact there was a fair chance the Sultan didn't even know he had visitors. No, the Germans were lead around so they could be covertly observed and to confuse them as to their whereabouts so that, should their goals prove nefarious, it would be all but impossible for them to find their way to an exit before the Sultan's guards could respond. Indeed as they were lead around corridor after beautiful corridor all members of the delegation soon felt they were being watched, and indeed realized that several of the servants who lead them along probably weren't servants at all.

However after twenty minutes of moving around several floors of the palace whatever intelligence directed their movements apparently decided it was satisfied with the precautions taken. Abruptly the delegation was brought to a great bronze door, which was drawn open by two guards who appeared from positions hidden behind silver-filigreed columns. The Germans found the princess in the room within, which offered a spectacular view of the sprawling northern slopes of Cairo (to the surprise of several members of the delegation who would've sworn they were in the southern section of the palace). Like her sisters and indeed their mother princess Faridah possessed an uncanny grace, which was accentuated all the more because unlike for example Crown Princess A'ishah, Faridah chose not to wear a veil. Instead she wore an embroidered dress that blended features of European fashion with the traditional Thobe. An elegant Byzantine shawl was draped loosely around her shoulders, leaving her hair to fall freely onto her shoulders. Apart from the princess and the Germans there was no-one else in the room but a single man, holding a silver tray with coffee and tea.

"Gentlemen, welcome to the Dar Al Masyaf," Faridah welcomed them with a small smile. "Please, sit. This is Fareeq," she indicated the plain-looking Arabic man. "He is my... Servant. And unfortunately cannot leave the room." An almost imperceptible undercurrent of irritation in her voice made it clear that 'Fareeq' was no servant at all, and that she felt his presence entirely unnecessary. "I do apologize for the inconveniences, but my father takes the security of his house and his family very seriously. At times a little too much so, I believe, but after he learned what had happened to Queen Sophia..." She shrugged, and her expression was a little pained. "I can only hope you were not unduly inconvenienced. Can I offer you refreshments?"

After bowing and refreshments had been served, the leader of the delegation asked the first question. "Your highness, given the situation the German Empire finds itself in, can you imagine what you would do if you were Empress?"

"The German Empire, like the Sultanate, is a nation of many peoples, cultures, ideologies and religions destined to live side by side. As Empress I believe it would be my task to work ceaselessly and tirelessly to foster greater understanding and harmony between these distinct influences, in order to bring about the great, cordial and peaceful and future the Creator surely has intended for the German people."

Junior members of the delegation where transcribing this answer, while the leader continued. "Your highness, as I am sure you know the vast majority of our people are either protestant or catholic. How do you feel about those religions?"

"I was as you of course know raised a Muslim, but my father the Sultan has taught me, my sisters and brothers to be tolerant of all faiths. 'Many roads', he would say, 'lead to the One Above All'. I have seen the great cathedrals of Rome and Cologne, and I have witnessed firsthand the devotion of those who have come to Jerusalem on pilgrimages, and I have found that pious Muslims and Christians have far more in common than they differ. Of course, holiness must first and foremost be found through actions, not solely through the reading of scriptures. And if it were to be my destiny to become your Empress, I certainly would consider conversion to Christianity so that I share in the communion of the German faithful."

This surprised the delegation leader, for he had not expected that. Despite his best efforts, his face betrayed that surprise. Luckily, his second intervened. "Would you feel comfortable with the new German constitution?"

"Oh, quite certainly. Indeed, I think it most progressive of Germany to adopt this new constitution, and I can only wish my homeland would follow your example. Of course, my father the Sultan does not share this sentiment at all..."

By now, the lead delegate had recovered. "What is your education and how do you think it impacts how you view Germany?"

"I hold a Doctorate in Arabic Literature and a Master degree of Law, both from the Al-Azhar University of Cairo, which, as you may know, was in fact founded by the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad. I'm afraid my degree of Arabic Literature does not significantly impact my view of Germany, but as a student of law and jurisprudence I cannot help but admire the efficient German judicial system. In contrast, the Sultanate's system is a hodgepodge of the common law system written by Nasir ad-Din, Islamic law, and bits and pieces of Napoleonic and Byzantine law, and tends to suffer from undue political influence to boot..."

The delegates, suitably impressed, bid the princess goodbye. "Your highness, before we go, may we beg of you a picture to show to the Emperor?"

Faridah inclined her head. "You may." Fareeq, who had kept their cups filled (and whose eyes never stopped measuring the distances between the German delegates and the princess, some of the Germans had noticed), produced a photograph from his shalwar kameez with a stunningly fluent motion that left the leader of the delegation idly wondering what else he concealed in there.

The German Embassy,
Cairo

Meanwhile, a secret note was delivered via proxy, containing the Sultan's answer to the question what he would wish to be the consequences of the marriage.

"Apart from the eternal happiness of his beloved daughter His Majesty the Sultan hopes to foster close ties with the noble house of Hohenzollern, and closer ties with the German Empire, one of the few nations on God's Earth that His Majesty deems equal to his own most blessed Sultanate, so that this union of ruling families may strengthen both nations now and in the future."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Berliner Zeitung
June 28th, 1926

Sternberg case to be a litmus test for freedom of speech

In its most recent ruling, the Bayerisches Oberstes Landesgericht has affirmed the ruling of the lower courts regarding an injunction against the book "Der Große Kampf", by Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg. Lower courts had ruled earlier that an injunction would be brought against the publishing house, forbidding it to further publish or distribute the book until the full court case had been heard.

The Baron's lawyers have fought this injunction all the way to the BayObLG. Unless they want to accept the wait period for a full court decision, which might very well take up to a year, they will have no choice but to appeal to the Reichsgericht. Already, the case has become a center of attention in German politics, as it is the first high-profile conflict between freedom of speech and expression and the right to personal dignity and honour.

It is unknown if the Baron himself will argue before the Reichsgericht. Lacking German citizenship and not being in Germany at the moment, he is also currently safe from criminal prosecution.

The Mongolian embassy had no comment, nor did the Reichskanzlei.

German Naval Staff, Berlin

"The newest figures from the radio stations and the newest figures from the merchant marine, Herr Großadmiral." Großadmiral Scheer nodded and took a look at the reports laid out before him.

When the Dutch war had started, it had revealed a series of flaws in the German dispersal system. Usually, ships would head either for German or neutral ports upon the dispersal signal. However, it had been found that the radio stations simply could not handle the sudden flood of traffic, meaning that many merchantmen had not even received the signal. Those that had received it, had in many occasions deciphered the merchant code signal correctly. And when German troops had entered Amsterdam, they had found out that the cipher had already been cracked by Dutch intelligence.

As a result, the German Navy had introduced a new cipher for the merchant marine. Using this cipher, every merchantmen had been required to send a signal with its position at an allotted time of day. Of course, this rather simple code - the different training standards of merchant navy radio operators had necessitated simplicity - had surely by know been cracked by almost every intelligence agency as well.

But for now, Scheer was content in knowing that the system worked as intended, with the newly built radio stations - boosted by those at the dutch coast - handling the load in a very efficient manner. And so far he had not felt the need to use the second, secret cipher, which had only been given to the captains in oral briefings. Which was another good thing.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Mongolia

Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg sat with his lawyers, discussing his options.

“You are aware, sir, that, due to being an officer in the Army Reserve, you are in a rather perilous situation? The brass is rather upset that you are causing such a commotion in a friendly nation.”

“Bah! Of course I know that, Subotai. Those Jewish bastards are trying to tighten the noose around my neck!”

“Of course they are, sir. However, we need to do something about this. If we opt to wait for a ruling from a higher court, that could take up to a full year and may not go in our favor. If we go to the Reichsgericht, then we might be able to successfully argue against the ruling of the lower courts.”

“Do you think we can win it?”

“I am personally unaware of the opinions of the jurists on the Reichsgericht, but a good argument might sway them. I would suggest you remain in Mongolia and allow your lawyers in Germany to argue on your behalf, that way, should the outcome turn out unfavorably, you wouldn't be in danger of being jailed and any fines against your person would be hard to collect and might take years to resolve between the Mongolian and German governments.”

“That is the coward's way! Staying holed up in Mongolia while a rabble of murderous thieves tries to eliminate my call to truth and justice won't show people the way! I'll go to Germany and argue on my own behalf!”

“Baron, I know you are very passionate about this,” Subotai swallowed, “but this matter will require more subtlety and dispassionate calls for reason. Further, this is a matter of free speech, and the lawyers in Germany fear that if you go to court and try to impugn the prosecution due to their heritage, that you will lose support for your cause and lose the court case, as well as face possible jailing and certainly fines that you must pay in order to return to Mongolia. Plus, the Mongolian government might well not agree to you leaving in any case, due to your position as an officer in the Army Reserve. You will have to discuss this with a military lawyer and possibly some superior officers.”

“I shall do so, then! I cannot abide this attack on me without fighting back in person!”

“As you wish, sir.”

-----
Two Days Later

Roman was now before some very important men. His requests were taken very seriously and passed on to the highest levels of the Mongolian Army. Before him were General Sükhbataar, Lt. General Enkhzorig , Sgt. Badar-Uugan, and, finally, Khan Angarag.

“Liutenant von Ungern Sternberg, you have said you are here to ask advice about what you wish to do about the legal matters you have in Germany, correct?” the Khan asked.

“Yes, sir, that is correct.”

“We have discussed this, and Sgt. Badar-Uugan, our primary military lawyer, has advised that the best way for you to go to Germany, should you so wish it, is to voluntarily retire from the Army Reserve. Due to your long service, it would be possible for an honorary discharge, in spite of your recent actions at the Freedom Conference and your actions in Germany clouding your own reputation, and that of Mongolia's, to an extent. However, while your actions are distasteful and unpleasant, you have not gone against military code, so I will not go against the law and dishonorably discharge you, however much I feel you deserve it,” the Khan said.

“Thank you, sir.”

“And you will have to retire in order to leave the country, Lt. von Ungern Sternberg,” Sükhbataar said, “as you will not be able to leave the country except during military actions, otherwise, you will be AWOL and possibly engaged in treason, a capital crime. Do I make myself clear?”

“Perfectly, sir.”

“Now, Lt. von Ungern Sternberg, you understand that upon your retirement, you will become a private citizen and that should you lose your case in Germany, that Mongolia will allow Germany to punish you in whatever way they deem fit? Mongolia has a had a longstanding, if seldom used, policy of noninterference with other nations' legal systems should a Mongolian citizen break the law and be found guilty in a legitimate court of law. And, from what we have seen, this court in Germany has been legitimately run,” the Khan said.

“I would disagree about the operation of the German courts so far, but I understand what you say, sir.”

“Excellent, this group is dismissed. You are free to either remain as a Mongolian officer, or to retire and go to Germany.”

“Khan Angarag, I hereby retire my commission as a Lieutenant for the Mongolian Army Reserve.”

“As you wish. I will have your discharge made up immediately.”

-------

Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg, as he styled himself, conferred with Subotai and had him telegraph the lawyers in Germany to prepare for his arrival, as he would be present for the appeal to the Reichsgericht, and, by God, he would win.

The Baron then chartered a plane to fly him to the Byzantine Empire, and a train to take him the rest of the way.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Berliner Nachrichten
July 12th, 1927

Baron von Sternberg arrives in Germany
The controversial aristocrat arrived in Germany via Train from the Balkan Confederacy. Meanwhile, his lawyers have started proceedings before the Reichsgericht, hoping to delay the injunction that currently bars the Baron's book from being published.

The Reichsgericht announced that it will hear the case on July 18th. The Government is expected to argue that the book, while being protected under free speech laws, violates numerous laws for the protection of personal honour as well as common decency and therefore should not be allowed to be published.....

Ocean liners launched

In ceremonies officiated by the King of the Netherlands and of the Belgians, Crown Prince Eitel Friedrich, the future ships of state of both the Netherlands and Belgium were launched from the state shipyards at Rotterdam and Antwerp today. The ships will take an additional year to be fitted out.

The SS Rotterdam, operated by the HAPAG, displaces 45000 gross tons and will have a top speed of 24 knots, with a cruise speed of 23 knots. She is a four-funneled liner from a design which takes most of its influence from the Cunard Aquitania. The SS Antwerpen, built to a French design, will be operated by the NDL.

The launch of both ships is assumed to be a symbol of pride and unity for the German Empire and its dutch and Belgian territories. Both ships will not directly compete for the Atlantic trade, instead they will largely focus on South American and East Asia routes.

The Baron's suite, Germany

Two letters had been delivered to the Baron. One from the Reichsgericht, one from the Staatsanwaltschaft.
Reichsgericht
Herr Baron,

it is our duty to remind you that you, as you are not a member of the German Bar, have no right to argue in front of the Reichsgericht according to..... Therefore, you may attend the proceedings, but you will have no right to speak, nor will you have the right to enter briefs. Any violation of this may result in criminal prosecution.

I have the honour to be
your most obedient servant,

Müller,
clerk
Generalstaatsanwaltschaft, Berlin

Herr Baron,

it is our duty to inform you that any statements or actions impuning the personal honour of German citizens may give rise to criminal prosecution.

Furthermore, it is our duty to inform you that a number of citizens have pressed charges against you. These charges will however not proceed as the statements have not been made in Germany. I trust you are aware of the relevance of this to your current situation.

I have the honour to be

von Hagedorn,
Oberstaatsanwalt

Mongolian Embassy, Berlin

A diplomatic note was delivered to the Embassy.
From the Auswärtiges Amt to His Excellency, the Mongolian ambassador

Your excellency.

The German Government wishes to express its concern that a citizen of your nation, the Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg, may be subject to criminal prosecution if he persists in making statements that may impugn the character of German citizens. We therefore wish to inform your Excellencies of the situation and would respectfully ask for a declaration of intent on the part of your Government.

Signed,
von Stresemann,
Vorsteher des Auswärtigen Amtes (Foreign secretary)

Reichskanzlei, Berlin

Reichskanzler Sänger mulled over the choices for the future Empress of the German Empire. A domestic candidate - of which there had been a few - had been ruled out because it would represent an unequal marriage in prestige. And while there was always this as a fallback option, Sänger would try to make the most of it from this wretched opportunity. The only problem was - he had to make up his mind.

The best domestic candidate had been a relative of the Czar. But Sänger had decided against this option no matter how many of Natasha's relatives argued for it. Hhe had also not failed to notice how the number of former Russian nobles who were visiting his house had increased - something he had abhorred due to the strains placed on Natasha being forced to play hostess. Yet the Rottweiler puppy given to them had endeared itself to Sänger when it bit a rather pompous grandduke who had decided to take some liberties after consuming too much wine.

And while such a marriage would give the German Empire a claim on the Russian throne, the only way this claim would be enacted would be through a war with the Soviet Union. And this was something Sänger had determined to avoid at all costs, for the Soviet Union was not only a signatory to a non-aggression pact, it was also one of the main export markets for German products and a strong producer of raw materials and grain.

Which left the foreign princesses. By now, he had met or received detailed reports on every candidate. Which left him with a hard choice. So far, none of the candidates had been unsuitable per se. Yet through a process of elimination, the field had dwindled. There had been four candidates - the Byzantine Princess Alexandria Komnena, the Dominion Lady Katherine, the Egyptian Princess Faridah and the Infanta Maria Elisa of Spain.

The Byzantine offer had brought a number of problems with it. First, there had been the question of protocol. The Byzantines had wanted the pair to be married in the Hagia Sophia, with a blessing of the Ecumenical Patriarch. This of course was completely unacceptable. There was the legal problem. After all, being married in the Hagia Sophia and being blessed by the Patriarch was a time-honored method of swearing fealty to the Byzantine Emperor. There was no way the German Crown Prince would do so, for it meant that he would be Emperor only by the Grace of the Basileus, not by his own right. It also meant that by doing so, he would have declared the House of Hohenzollern to be of inferior rank to the Byzantine Emperor. And of course there was the problem of the Princess being orthodox catholic, meaning she would share neither of the two main religions of the German Empire.

Which was why, with determined strokes, he signed a telegram to the Byzantine Court.
To:
Nika Phoros
Parakoimomenos of the Byzantine Imperial Palace

Your Excellency,

the German Empire thanks you for your offer regarding a possible marriage between the Imperial Houses of Byzantium and the German Empire. Sadly, we feel that the differences in protocol and the political realities prevent any agreement of being reached.

However, in recognition of the Trust placed in the Empire on behalf of the Princess, His Imperial Majesty, Kaiser Wilhelm II., von Gottes Gnaden Deutscher Kaiser und König von Preußen, etc., has taken it upon himself to bestow the title of Countess in her own right on her Royal Highness and invest her with the Order of Louise, First class. It is Germany's highest honour for women save the Empress.

Germany also offers the use of the Royal Train to carry the Princess back to Constantinople with full honours befitting her statute, or the use of an ocean liner if preferred.

Signed,

Wilhelm IR
Sänger, Reichskanzler

Then, there was the matter of the Dominion offer. The matter of her suit had come to a rather abrupt end when Friedrich Eitel declared that under no circumstances would he wed a Dominion woman. In fact, his exact words had been "I'd rather have my arm sawed off and fed to the pigs." Sänger would have pressed the issue except for two things - there was no guarantee that she would one day sit on the throne of the Dominion. After all, there were plenty of chances that Fairfax, through whatever means, still managed to produce an heir. And even if he did not, there simply was no German-friendly party in the Dominion and he doubted that he would have enough time building one, even with the support of the Lady Katherine. So all in all, trying to place her on the Dominion throne was...a risky proposal, to say the least. And certainly not something he wanted to bet the house of Hohenzollern on. Especially considering she had already been married...and the marriage had not produced a child.

So a second letter was sent, this one in private, to be delivered for the Lady Katherine only.
To the Lady Katherine

Milady,

I trust this finds you in good health.

it is with great regret that I have to fulfill the duty of informing you that his Royal Majesty has decided to respectfully decline your most generous offer. However, his Majesty feels that your conduct and your behavior during the trip to Germany has been exemplary and worthy of a Queen.

King Frederick Augustus III of Saxony, one of the member states of the German Empire, has been granted a divorce from his wife. I have taken the liberty of pointing out your Highness to him during your visit and he has indicated interest.

I have enclosed a picture of him.
Though the king has issue already, I give you a guarantee that any children shall be recognized and shall receive titles in their own right.

Should you decline, I have also been authorized by the Berlin University to offer you a chair in Indian archeology, with the understanding that you would be able to create your own department as you wished.

Should you also decline this offer, I have been authorized to offer you the Emperor's Yacht to carry you back to the Grand Dominion of the Indies. I have also been authorized to confer upon your Highness the Order of Louise.

Your obedient servant,
Johannes Sänger

Which left only two candidates. Both were young and well educated. The Spanish infanta was a catholic, whereas the Egyptian Princess was willing to convert. This willingness actually posed a problem. Sänger wanted a catholic queen desperately, as about 40% of German citizens were catholic. And there would be a catholic King of Hungary soon. Which forced Sänger to make sure his catholic base, the Centrum and the Austrian parties, which had been steadfast allies of his, would not desert him. For otherwise he would suddenly be a chancellor without a majority. Yet if Princess Faridah was willing to convert, there was no reason she should not become a protestant, for after all it was the religion of the Hohenzollern.

And the political situation demanded it. If Queen Marian did not get her way, she would find it hard to keep the anti-German party in Spain at bay. And if the marriage produced an heir, a crisis in Spain, Germany's closest ally, could be averted. Of course, the matter would not be that simple. After all, one could not put a Hohenzollern child on the throne of Spain. Any presumptive heir would have to be more Spanish than the Spanish themselves, which meant that a solution had to be found, especially in light of the unwillingness of the Queen of Spain to produce such an heir herself.

And after days of secret negotiations, an agreement had been presented.
Treaty between the German Empire and the Kingdom of Spain regarding a Marriage between the houses of Bourbon and of Hohenzollern

ARTICLE I: Marriage
Infanta Maria Elisa of Spain shall marry the His Royal Majesty, the King of the Netherlands and of the Belgians, Friedrich, Crown Prince of the German Empire etc., in December 1927.

ARTICLE II: Rights and titles of the future Queen
Upon marriage Infanta Maria Elisa of Spain shall receive all rights and titles befitting her station (to be covered in Appendix A). Upon accession of her husband to the Throne of the German Empire, she shall be styled as Maria Elisabeth, von Gottes Gnaden Deutsche Kaiserin, Königin von Preußen, Königin der Niederlande und den Belgiern etc. (to be covered in Appendix B)

ARTICLE III: Dowry
The Dowry shall be negotiated between the Kingdom of Spain and the German Empire at a later time. A treaty regarding this proposal shall be concluded no later than January 1st.

ARTICLE IV: Children
The first-born child shall be the future heir to all titles and rights of her father. He or she shall be raised in the Protestant faith.
The second-born child shall be the future heir to all titles and rights of her mother and of her aunt, Queen Marian I of Spain etc. He or she shall by styled as Principe de Asturias (or Principessa de Asturia) etc (See Appendix C and D, respectively). He or she shall be raised in the catholic faith.
If there shall be no second child, all rights and titles named herein shall pass to the first born. However, in this case his or her rights have to be confirmed by the Spanish Assemblies.

Signed,

for the German Empire
Wilhelm IR
Friedrich, King of the Netherlands and of the Belgians
Sänger, Reichskanzler

for the Kingdom of Spain
Marian, Queen of Spain etc.
Maria Elisa, Infanta of Spain

Sänger nodded in satisfaction. The treaty would be carried by plane to Spain immediately, to be approved by the assembly.

As he was about to draft a letter to the Princess Faridah of Egypt, he found himself struggling with it. From the report, she seemed a perfect choice, a perception only more reinforced by her writings, which he had had translated and read. In fact, if there had been no other factors to consider, she would have been his choice. Frustrated, he threw down the pen and walked over to the coffee table, pouring himself a scotch.

If only there were a way....wait a minute. "Get me the legal department".

Next morning, a secret offer was sent to the Egyptian Sultanate. Meanwhile, the announcement of the treaty with Spain was held back to allow the other princesses to leave Germany without losing face.

Results:
- Sternberg is warned
- two ocean liners are launched
- The Princess competition is over, see individual replies above.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Assuan
Egypt

The ancient city of Assuan stood on the east bank of the Nile at the first cataract. It had been founded during one of the early dynasties of ancient Egypt, a frontier town named after a heathen god, garrisoned by the armies of the Pharaohs. It was here that could be found the stone quarries of Old Egypt, celebrated for their stone, and especially for the granitic rock called Syenite. The quarries of Assuan had furnished the colossal statues, obelisks, and monolithal shrines that could be found throughout Egypt. This city had seen empires rise and fall like the tides of the Nile: Egyptians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Persians, Macedonians, Romans. And now, for the last several hundred years, the great Sultanate.

The Sultans knew the history of this place, and so it was not by accident that one of the greatest summer palaces of Egypt was located here, in this dusty, tropical place. The Qasr al-Razzah rose from the east bank, a masterpiece of slender Arabic architecture fashioned from the same stone as the Obelisks, facing the Tombs of the Nobles on the other side of the Nile. Like all their acts, this palace was a statement by the Sultans: their glory matched in every way that of the ancients who had come before them.

Deep within the perfumed halls of the Qasr al-Razzah, Sultan Abu Khalid Musa'ed Hashim al-Din bin Abdulmuin pondered his next act. Earlier that day he had received a telegram from Johannes Sänger, the surprisingly skilled Reichskanzler of the German Empire. Its contents had at first ignited in the Great Sultan a terrible fury. Even at the best of times the Victorious Emperor was a temperamental man; quick to anger, easily sleighted, and quite unused to extending his hand only to be denied, like it appeared the chancellor had denied him.

But of course, appearances could be deceiving -- this much anyone with knowledge of Egyptian court politics would know, and the Sultan was perhaps the most skilled politician in the Sultanate. Moreover, Musa'ed al-Din had learned from a young age to control his temper, lest it control him. And so while servants scattered from his side the Sultan forced himself to sit down on his golden throne and once again read the message he held clenched in his fist in an attempt to let its deeper implications sink in.

They had turned down his daughter, his beautiful, wonderful Faridah. A surge of rage threatened to disrupt his calm, and with an extreme exertion of self-control the Sultan fought down the urge to smash something expensive. His left eyebrow twitched, causing even the most daring and loyal of his servants to flee from the throne room.

Calm he thought. You must be calm. The Sultan forced himself to breathe in and out, then focused on the crumpled scrap of paper in his hand with a disturbingly serene expression. He knew the Reichskanzler. He'd never met the man in person, of course, but a man didn't need to kiss another man's cheek to know him -- his reputation was enough, or at least it was if one listened to the right people. The chancellor was a shrewd politician, for a European. Sänger wouldn't be offering a consolation prize when that could be construed as a mortal insult to the honour of the House of al-Din. No, the Sultan decided, he was letting his anger, his passions as a father, cloud his better judgement.

Musa'ed Hashim al-Din considered the name in the telegram. Prince Otto of Austria and Hungary, head of the House of Hapsburg. The orphan-prince, little more than a kid. The Sultan stroked his immaculately manicured goatee. He vaguely remembered signing off on an award to the child for his decision to relinquish a claim to the city of Jerusalem - a preposterous claim if ever there was one, considering the... No, no, mustn't be angry.... The Sultan blinked a few times and regained his composure more quickly this time. The orphan-prince. A child. A child, and yet heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary. A throne second only to the Emperor of Germany himself... A position of influence then, one even that should the House of Hohenzollern become extinct would inherit the Empire itself.

And all that influence held by a fourteen-year-old. The Sultan frowned. He himself had been seventeen when he'd inherited the Sultanate from his father, but his tutors had been preparing him for that eventuality from his eighth birthday onward. Somehow he doubted the European nobles still went through that much trouble. They had gone soft, unlike him, unlike his...

He froze.

A-ha.

A small smile split his lips. Unlike his daughters. Sänger, you djinni. A twenty-seven year old Egyptian princess, married to a fourteen-year-old Austrian prince. It wasn't difficult to see who would be the dominant force in that marriage. Which raised the question... Why would the chancellor want to open German politics to that kind of outside influence? The Sultan nodded idly. It answered itself: because he thought it better than the alternative. The Chancellor does not trust the Prince, Musa'ed al-Din decided. And probably with good reason -- the Sultan recalled the ruckus surrounding the new German constitution and the role of the Emperor. That kind of thing would have never happened in the Sultanate, but then Europe had always been peculiar.

So the Sultan thought, and began pacing up and down the throne room. It came down to this: his daughter, in exchange for what could quite possibly be an influence in European matters unparallelled to anything the Sultanate had possessed since the days of the Great Crusades. Was that a trade he felt comfortable making? It was more difficult to answer that than one might think: despite what some thought about Islam and women, the Sultan cared greatly for all three of his daughters, and would go to almost any lengths to see them happy. And yet... And yet.

He stopped and looked again at the telegram, then shrugged. It was simple, really. He would ask Faridah, and her decision would be his. Abu Khalid Musa'ed Hashim al-Din bin Abdulmuin smiled. Sometimes, the most difficult of matters really did have the simplest of answers.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Reichsgericht
Herr Baron,

it is our duty to remind you that you, as you are not a member of the German Bar, have no right to argue in front of the Reichsgericht according to..... Therefore, you may attend the proceedings, but you will have no right to speak, nor will you have the right to enter briefs. Any violation of this may result in criminal prosecution.

I have the honour to be

Müller,
clerk
"I can't speak in my own defense? What is this horseshit?" demanded Roman.

"Herr Baron, it is a legal formality. While you, yourself cannot speak on your own behalf, you have a wonderful legal team on your side," said Augustus, one of many lawyers hired by the publisher.

"So, will you say what I tell you to say?"

"Not necessarily. While you are certainly a smart man, German law is a bit esoteric. Let us determine what is best for your defense. Some of these judges can be a bit temperamental, and the wrong thing said at the wrong time might ruin a defense," Augustus said, trying to assuage Roman.

"Bah. We'll see, we'll see."

From the Auswärtiges Amt to His Excellency, the Mongolian ambassador

Your excellency.

The German Government wishes to express its concern that a citizen of your nation, the Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg, may be subject to criminal prosecution if he persists in making statements that may impugn the character of German citizens. We therefore wish to inform your Excellencies of the situation and would respectfully ask for a declaration of intent on the part of your Government.

Signed,
von Stresemann,
Vorsteher des Auswärtigen Amtes (Foreign secretary)

Ambassador Khuyildar read through the letter.
To Vorsteher des Auswärtigen Amtes von Stresemann wrote:
Your excellency,

The government of Mongolia expresses dispassionate disinterest in the case, as Roman von Ungern-Sternberg (self-stylized as Baron Roman Ungern von Sternberg) is now a private citizen and Mongolia has a policy of allowing legitimate foreign courts to try private Mongolian citizens according to their own law. Roman freely chose to travel to Germany to attend his trial, and tendered an official resignation from the Army Reserve to Khan Angarag himself. As such, Mongolia will accept any decision from the German courts, barring capital punishment, in which case we would request life imprisonment. However, given the nature of this trial, we strongly suspect that incarceration and fines will be the extent of the punishment, should our citizen be found guilty.

Sincerely,
Khuyildar,
Mongolian Ambassador to Germany
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Admiralty Row

“What the Devil is this?” Lord Fairfax muttered, staring at the message from the embassy in Berlin. “The king of Saxony? The Crown Prince didn’t even meet her!” Fairfax shook his head and drummed his fingers on the desk. The door to his office creaked open, Elizabeth was standing there.

“I could hear you in the bedroom, it’s a bit late, or early rather, to be getting worked up over affairs of state.”

“Sorry love.” Fairfax sighed. “Sänger just told Katherine that the Crown Prince has no interest in even entertaining a marriage…possibly for the best, I suppose. He helpfully pointed her in the direction of the recently divorced King of Saxony. Also gave her a job offer.” Elizabeth walked over to his desk.

“It seems a bit callous not to even hold a face-to-face. What are you going to tell Katherine? I always liked her.”

Because she was the only one of my immediate family that didn’t crawl up my ass about our relationship. Lord Fairfax thought. “I’ll tell her to do whatever she pleases. If she and, er,“ Fairfax looked down “Frederick Augustus hit it off it would be worth it just to make her happy. The Enrico Dandalo is currently in the Western Med doing circles and visiting ports, so she has plenty of time to visit the King of Saxony, the University of Berlin, etc. Political marriages were always a disaster for this family anyway.” As the words left Fairfax’s lips he leaned forward and poked Elizabeth, who squeaked. She laughed and slapped away his hand. Fairfax stood up.

“You know Dr. Bhatt, you look positively…ravishing tonight.” Elizabeth rolled her eyes.

“Ha! Not that I don’t mind, but I thought we were being careful?” Both had agreed that there couldn’t be any illegitimate children. A sudden thought occurred to Fairfax.

“You know, half the legislature already thinks I’m a socialist in sheep’s clothing, the other half thinks I’m dead set on maintaining the old ways.” Fairfax paused. “I’m going to have the court solicitor prepare divorce papers with Lady Sterling. I’m tired of waiting for Gregory XII to fall over dead. It’ll have to be a secular divorce rather than an annulment, but oh well.”

“The legislature would never recognize a civil marriage!”

“I’ll have Captain Herzog officiate.” Captain Herzog was the chief of the naval chaplain corps, an old romantic who was also so salty he had barnacles growing on him. He also couldn’t give two shits about his boss, the Latin Patriarch of the Indies. “I’m willing to go the distance if you are. Besides,” Fairfax tried to look haughty, “If my cousin can marry who she pleases, why can’t the Lord Protector?”

“Of course I’m willing to, ah, ‘go the distance’.” Elizabeth put her arms around his neck “Oh God, I’m so happy!”

“I am too.” And he was. But somewhere, deep in the back of his mind, a voice told him that this was a bad idea.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Nuln Whig

Outrage at the Top

The Nuln Whig has learned that the Lord Protector has moved to institute a civil divorce with the Lady Sterling. Furthermore, this paper has learned that Lord Fairfax plans on marrying his longtime half-caste mistress, Elizabeth Bhatt. The Latin Patriarch has said in no uncertain terms that he will not annul the current marriage, or bless any others.

Citizens of the Grand Dominion, our leader is losing it. He has for all intents and purposes bent to the will of socialists by pushing to grant womenfolk the franchise, and by quietly supporting the Labor and Social Democrats agenda in the legislature. He is doing nothing, nothing at all, about the German presence in the Indian Ocean. He is actively seeking a permanent peace treaty with the Schismatics in Shepistan. Why, there are rumors that he routinely misses mass, and was willing to have his cousin marry a protestant Hohenzollern prince! What is becoming of our country?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

(OOC: I've not forgotten about you, Akhlut, but there simply is no way the court will hear the case before some more time has passed)

"Would you care to explain this?" Prince Otto had stormed in, brandishing a newspaper as if it was a weapon. Sänger calmly took the proffered newspaper and unfolded it.
Wiener Morgenblatt

Prince Otto in love?
Sources close to the Hapsburg prince told us that his Royal Highness, Prince Otto of Hapsburg, has fallen madly in love with the youngest Princess of the Egyptian Sultanate, Faradiah. There are some claims that he wishes to marry her as soon as he comes of age....
Sänger folded the paper. "I see, your highness." "This is your doing." Sänger nodded. "It is." "So what in heaven's name GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO TRY AND MARRY ME OFF?" The Chancellor nodded. "The treaty you recently made." The Prince, who had been about to shout even more, stopped instead and focused on the Chancellor. "Explain."

Sänger nodded. "Yes, your highness. The treaty quite clearly stated that foreign policy would not infringe upon the German constitution in any way. As gaining influence in Egypt clearly is foreign policy - " Otto slammed his fist down on the desk. "Me marrying anybody is not foreign policy." Sänger nodded. "Perhaps. And if you go to court, you might even win. But do you want to take this to court?"

"The scandal will destroy you." "Perhaps. Or perhaps not. After all, I shall simply claim you asked me to secure Faridah's hand after you saw a picture of the beautiful princess. I am sure any number of people will swear that they saw you walk into my office, wherein we had a lengthy conversation." If Otto had been gripping the edges of Sänger's desk any harder, he would have shattered the wood. "That discussion was about my titles." "Was it, your Highness?"

Otto looked as if he was about to strike the Reichskanzler, then apparently decided against it at the last minute. "Besides, your Highness, what about the public perception of you. Right now, your image is that of a young men who loves a woman. If you take me to court over this, your public image will certainly change. You will either look like someone easily duped - if they believe you - or like someone who says something one time and then changes his opinion at the drop of a hat. In either case, you will look like someone who has just done tremendous damage to the reputation of this Empire."

Otto nodded grimly. "And if I do either of those, I will not be able to share up support among conservatives. That is what this is about, isn't it? You do not trust me." Sänger nodded. "Trusting somebody requires a certain level of trust in return. Your Highness thought it wise to try to become King of Hungary without trusting me enough to even inform me."

Otto glowered some more at the Chancellor. "Your Highness. I have to say that I do not really understand your reluctance. The Princess is a very beautiful young woman and very intelligent as well. Her lists of accomplishments is impressive. In my opinion, she would make a great Queen."

Otto held up his hand. "No. No more of this. You have betrayed and trapped me, Chancellor. If I refuse her, I shall look like a fool. If I marry her, I will have to fight the conservatives over her. In either case, congratulations, Chancellor. You have bested me." Otto rose and made a mock bow. "I just hope you are aware, Chancellor, that that which is lost may be regained. And that only a fool dares to meddle in the affairs of kings."

There was nothing left to be said, so Sänger nodded at the Prince, who quickly departed.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Alexandria
Egypt

Princess Faridah looked out across the busy Place Mohammed Al. Coaches, automobiles and trolley cars as well as hundreds of people were ever coming and going, but she didn't notice them. Instead her attention was focused solely on the proposition of which she had just been informed.

She'd known this day might come, ever since at age twelve she'd been told what the duties and obligations of a Princess of the Sultanate entailed. But knowing on an intellectual level was quite different than being faced with the situation itself. Even when she had been told of the German quest for a new Crown Princess over a month ago and the overtures the Minister of State had made on behalf of her father she hadn't imagined much would come of it. Surely the Europeans wouldn't care for an Egyptian empress?

Well, they hadn't. But clearly that hadn't stopped Herr Sänger from finding a use for her anyway.

Faridah sighed and turned toward the servant who had brought her the news. “Is it my father's wish that I do this?”

The man glanced at his feet, ever refusing to look at her in the traditional manner. “He wishes you to know that he loves you very much and will respect your decision,” he said, conveniently avoiding to answer the question. Even for life-long servants of the House of ad-Dïn it was unwise to presume to speak on behalf of the Sultan.

The princess nodded wordlessly and looked away. Of the three princesses of Egypt she had always been the most modern and the least inclined to be stopped by the traditions and customs in which the Sultanate was steeped. And the implications of her heritage had allowed her to get away with it, had allowed her to grown up to be an independent young woman. An intellectual no less--she still remembered the horror and fury of the Caliph of Cairo when she had first begun to attend university. That was no proper place for a princess, the old man had lectured her. She should be attending a Madrasah instead!

Faridah smiled fondly as she also recalled the even greater anger of her father when he had heard how the Caliph had ambushed her with his admonitions. Musa'ed ad-Dïn had been a hairs breadth away from sending the assassins after the old Caliph, and she still wasn't sure her father wasn't somehow involved in the old man's death by heart attack a year later. The Sultan had always encouraged his daughters to follow their hearts, no matter how much it outraged the conservative subset of the population.

Ironically, in her case the decision to pursue a modern career and mindset now apparently made her an ideal candidate for an old-fashioned arranged marriage. Faridah sighed. “Duty above all else, I suppose,” she murmured.

“I beg your pardon, Your Highness?” asked the servant.

She turned to him. “Tell my father I assent to this treaty, and would like to have the opportunity to meet Prince Otto.”

Treaty between the German Empire and the Sultanate of Egypt

ARTICLE I: Aim of the treaty

This treaty is to establish a union between the houses of Hapsburg and of ad-Dīn

ARTICLE II: General Terms

Her Royal Highness, Princess Faridah of Egypt, shall be received within the German Empire as future wife to his Royal Highness, Prince Otto of Hapsburg.
As German law does not permit a marriage contract to be formed via third parties, this treaty is merely a declaration of intent, subject to approval by both the Princess and the Prince. However, both parties are confident that the great adoration their Royal Highnesses feel for each other will not weaken.

ARTICLE III: Terms pertaining to the Princess Faridah
The Princess Faridah shall be received with the rights and honours of a future Queen. The Princess shall be given lodging in the Schloss Babelsberg with a staff befitting her station to be paid by the German Empire, until a possible future accession.
The Princess shall have the right to visit any Government building without appointment and shall have the right to visit the national archives to acquaint herself with the duties of a Queen.
The Princess Faridah shall have the option to convert to Roman Catholicism, if she so wishes.

ARTICLE IV: Terms pertaining to the Prince Otto
As German law only permits a marriage between partners of the age of 16, the marriage shall not be formed nor consummated before December 1929, at which time his Royal Highness the Prince Otto shall be 16.
As spouse of a Princess of Egypt and holder of the rank of Commander in the Order of the Knights of the Word of God his Royal Highness the Prince Otto shall have the right to visit the Greater Diwan of the Sultanate of Egypt without appointment.

ARTICLE IV: Dowry

The exact terms of the Dowry shall be negotiated between the Egyptian Sultanate and the House of Hapsburg at the time of the marriage. The Dowry shall be of the customary size befitting her Royal Highness. However, it shall not consist of any lands owned by the Sultanate.

ARTICLE V: Guarantees
The German Empire is confident in the future conclusion of a marriage. If however the feelings of Prince Otto should change, the German Empire will compensate her Royal Highness the Princess Faridah with.....
The Egyptian Sultanate likewise is confident in the future conclusion of a marriage and will, in the event of a marriage not being concluded due to a refusal by the Princess Faridah, compensate his Royal Higness the Prince Otto of Hapsburg and the German Empire with..........

Signed,

For the Egyptian Sultanate:
on behalf of the House of ad-Dīn
Ikrimah al-Jaffar, Wazir al-Akbar

For the German Empire
on behalf of the House of Hapsburg
Sänger, Reichskanzler
Last edited by Siege on 2010-04-30 05:50pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

La Paz

Arturo took a sip from his coffee, and watched the steam rise off of its surface. He set the metal cup down on his hardwood desk, with a satisfying thump. Sure, Bolivaria grew plenty of coffee, but Arturo preferred the Colombian brands. They had a way of mixing it perfectly with Caracas Cream, a tourist product that had become increasingly affordable after the rail linkage had finally come to completion last year.

He picked up the envelope, and stared at it again. The stamp of the Sultanate covered its surface. He turned to Salvadore, whose facial expression confirmed the news.
"Our...client," started Salvadore, "reports that even the installation of radiovision circuits in his personal dwelling was not able to help him detect the intruders."

Arturo took a deep breath, then released it. Resignedly, he admitted,
"Our cameras require a lot of light. They are essentially useless once the sun has begun setting."
Salvadore nodded in agreement.
"Essentially," continued Arturo, "this 'field test' of our equipment necessitates the funding of our side project."
"Do you think the government will go for it?"

"If we promote the security, possibly even the military benefits of Owl, we can divert funding from the admittedly useless advances in Radiovision resolution."
"Two hundred lines out to be enough for anyone."
"I will submit a proposal for the next budget year."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Reichsverfassungsgericht

The decision handed down by the court was long, so long that it had taken over half an hour to read it out. But most of that had been the history of the case, not the decision itself, which was rather short and to the point.
The Decision wrote:
Plaintiff claims his right to publish has been violated by an injunction of the lower courts of[...]and by various citizens calling upon the public to boycott his book.

The lower courts have consistently argued that the right of the Baron to disseminate his writings would infringe on the personal honour of citizens of the Empire, namely those of the Jewish religion, and violate several of the laws.

Plaintiff alleges that:

[various other legal claims, including procedural issues]

- That the right of the plaintiff to free speech (Art. 5 of the Basic Freedoms) has been violated by the injunction of the lower courts

The court finds his case without merit due to the following reasons:

[legalese dealing with the other issues]

The Freedom of Expression, as outlined in Article 5 I, guarantees that:
Article 5. Freedom of expression
( 1 ) Everyone has the right freely to express and to disseminate his opinion by speech, writing and pictures and freely to inform himself from generally accessible sources. There shall be no censorship except in time of war.
( 2 ) These rights are limited by the provisions of the general laws, the provisions of law for the protection of youth and by the right to inviolability of personal honor.
( 3 ) Art and science, research and teaching are free. Freedom of teaching does not absolve from loyalty to the constitution.
The court finds that the writings of the plaintiff are well within the protected category of Article 5 (1). However, Article 5 (2) also states that these rights are limited by the provisions of the general laws, the provisions of law for the protection of youth and by the right to inviolability of personal honor. Having found that the writings of the plaintiff violate both the personal honor and the penal code of the German Empire, the right of the plaintiff would therefore be a limited one in this case and the plaintiff would have no cause.

The question now is whether the freedom of expression may be limited in such a way. The court is of the opinion that freedom of expression is the root of political exchange and therefore has to be extremely protected. It is one of the oldest Human Rights there is. The Déclaration des droits de l'Homme et du Citoyen states in Article 11, that "the free communication of thoughts and of opinions is one of the most precious rights of man" (la libre communication des pensées et des opinions est un des droits les plus précieux de l'homme). It is, in case of a republic or a democracy, or a constitutional monarchy like the German Empire, the foundation of the political process. It is the matrix, the indispensable condition of nearly every other form of freedom.

One therefore has to consider if this freedom may be limited at all. It may certainly not be limited if the expression of an opinion only makes the recipient uncomfortable. The court also finds that the term of "personal honour" is too vague to serve as a real limitaton, unless qualified by law. An important constitutional freedom like the freedom of expression may certainly not be limited by an ordinary law. Such a limiting law has to be equally essential for the continuation of civilized society.

Even earlier writers recognized this limitation. For the Déclaration des droits de l'Homme et du Citoyen also states that "save to respond to the abuse of this liberty, in the cases determined by the law." (sauf à répondre de l'abus de cette liberté dans les cas déterminés par la loi). It shall be noted here that any such law may be constitutionally reviewed.

The legislative has already codified these laws which are necessary for the functioning of society. Especially important is the constitution. The writings of the plaintiff may be a violation of human dignity as protected in Article 1 of the constitution. Yet the very high protection outlined to it only requires it's invocation if no other law forbids such behaviour. It may also be a violation of Article 2 of the constitution, but the same principle applies here. The closest-fitting provisions of the law therefore may be found in the German penal code.

In his book, the Baron paints the picture of the Jews as antichrists, as servants of the communists and as traitors to western civilization and to Germany. The court need not investigate whether this claim might be true for one or two Jews, as the plaintiff has argued, for it is only necessary that the vitrol is directed against one or two upstanding citizens to fit within the definition of libel. The court finds that the descriptions of the jews as

[several vile quotations redacted]

are both untrue and can only serve to malign the Jews in the public opinion. As sections 185 and 187 of the penal code outline:
Section 185 Insult
Insult shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than one year or a fine and, if the insult is committed by means of violence, with imprisonment for not more than two years or a fine.

Section 187 Defamation
Whoever, against his better judgment, asserts or disseminates an untrue fact in relation to another, which maligns him or disparages him in the public opinion or is capable of endangering his credit, shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than two years or a fine, and, if the act was committed publicly, in a meeting or through dissemination of writings (Section 11 subsection (3)), with imprisonment for not more than five years or a fine.
In the case of such statements directed against Jewish politicians such as His Excellency, Walter Rathenau, the court finds that the writings also violate Section 188, and if directed against dead citizens, the court finds that the writings also violate Section 189 of the penal code.
Section 188 Malicious Gossip and Defamation Against Persons in Political Life
(1) If malicious gossip (Section 186) is committed publicly, in a meeting or through dissemination of writings (Section 11 subsection (3)) against a person involved in the political life of the people with a motive connected with the position of the insulted person in public life, and the act is capable of making his public work substantially more difficult, then the punishment shall be imprisonment from three months to five years.
(2) A defamation (Section 187) under the same prerequisites shall be punished with imprisonment from six months to five years.

Section 189 Disparagement of the Memory of Deceased Persons
Whoever disparages the memory of a deceased person shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than two years or a fine.
It is a well-known principle of law that the truth can never be insult or defamation. Yet one only has to look at the distinguished career of Walther Rathenau to discover that the writings of the plaintiff can never be the truth. If the plaintiff had been able to prove that his writings were only directed against Jews who fit all the criteria, the court would have considered them in a different light. Yet, despite numerous requests, the plaintiff has failed to procure any person of jewish decent who is a "baby-eating, christ-killing antichrist who is in league with the communists, robs the German populace and seeks to defile German women". Indeed, the court finds it very hard to believe such a person even exists. The plaintiff has argued that his writings are satire, yet the tone of the text and several public statements made by the plaintiff make this unlikely.

The plaintiffs statements may also serve as actions fulfilling the criteria of Section 89 (Anti-Constitutional Influence on the Armed Forces and Public Security Organs as incitements to riot), Section 90 (Disparagement of the office of the Emperor or the Chancellor) Section 90a (Disparagement of the State and its Symbols), Section 90b (Anti-Constitutional Disparagement of Constitutional Organs), Attempted Incitement to the Breach of the Peace (Section 26, 125), Section 130 (Agitation of the People), Section 130a (Instructions for Crimes), Section 131 (Representation of Violence), Attempted incitement to murder&bodily harm, (sections 26, 211ff), Attempted incitement to cause damage to property (26, 303ff). However, this is not for this court to decide as this trial does only deal with the freedom of expression.

Having thus determined that the writings of the plaintiff violate several sections of the penal code, which serves as a necessary and constitutional limitation to the freedom of expression, the courts find that his case is without merit.

Plaintiff has to bear the burden of cost.

For the Reichsverfassungsgericht,

[names redacted]

Sänger breathed a sigh of relief as he turned of the radio. His choice to split constitutional questions from the traditional bodies of the Reichsgericht and deliver them into the sole jurisdiction of two newly formed chambers of the Reichsgericht (which incidentally had been packed with excellent jurists with a good liberal majority thanks to the liberal and socialist factions in the Reichstag) had been a right one. Not only had the court - now dubbed the Reichsgericht, Abteilung Verfassungssachen, or short Reichsverfassungsgericht - handed down a landmark decision declaring the freedom of expression as the most important one for the political process, it had also solved a number of questions regarding the validity of laws passed under the former reactionary Prussian parliament.

"Are you happy?" Sänger turned and smiled at his now visibly pregnant wife. "Yes. Yes, I am. Due to many reasons." He hugged Natasha. "Besides the obvious ones..." He stopped to kiss her. "...even if I will be gone, the constitution will be in good hands."

Another women might have found this statement peculiar. But Natasha was accustomed to the mannerisms of her husband, so she just smiled back and started to discuss the judgement with him. She felt that more and more, she got the hang of politics. Sänger meanwhile, though being happy to have found an intelligent mind, was not that happy about this development. For he feared that it would cause her to be less optimistic and cheerful - he knew he was much less of both - but thankfully this had not happened yet. So, smiling as well, he and his wife started to discuss the legal issues involved.

Meanwhile, the servants who had normally prepared for a very long night, thanked God for the pregnancy, for it would soon force the couple to retire for the night.

Generalstaatsanwaltschaft, Berlin

Of course somebody else had less reason to feel cheerful. As soon as the verdict had been proclaimed, the Generalstaatsanwalt had ordered the prosecutors to proceed against the Baron. Soon, a letter was on the way to the Baron.
Herr Baron,

it is our sad duty to inform you that proceedings have been been started against you regarding your public statements and your writings about German citizens of Jewish religion.

You are being accused of violating sections 185-189 of the German penal code.
  • Please be aware that, should you be convicted, you may face up to five years imprisonment.

You have the right to counsel and to be heard. Should the case proceed to trial, you have the right to [....] Please be aware that additional charges may be added at any moment.

I have the honour to be

von Hagedorn,
    Oberstaatsanwalt
Von Hagedorn would have liked to prosecute the Baron for the rest of the crimes alluded to by the Reichsgericht, but as he was a civil servant, he had to obey his superior. And his superior had decided against prosecuting the Baron for higher crimes, such as attempted incitement of murder, which would carry life imprisonment. However, Oberstaatsanwalt von Hagedorn mused that unless the legal team could keep the Baron on a very tight leash, he would have that particular option very soon.

Result:
- landmark free speech case decided before the Reichsverfassungsgericht
------------
------------
My LPs
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Baron Roman was not merely angry, nor even furious. He was incandescent with rage.

"What the fucking hell? What is this? You incompetent, bungling schweinhunde! If this is the sort of defense I can expect, why shouldn't I fire you right this moment?" he roared.

Augustus looked on, meekly, as he was dressed down by a wrathful Roman. He kept flinching, expecting the Baron to strike at him any second now. The other lawyers looked on in as their friend and the head of the defense team was receiving the brunt of the Baron's scorn.

"Herr Baron, we're sorry! We just didn't have enough time to argue successfully."

"Shut your mouth, you idiot! This should have been a simple manner and you completely fouled it up! If this keeps going downhill, what follows will be on your head! If we do not win, I'm going to assume it's because you're actually in league with the Jewish bankers."

"Herr Baron, that is preposterous!"

"Didn't I just tell you to shut up? You're being paid good money to defend me! Money that I would have been better served to shit on and set on fire, apparently!"

Augustus flinched again as Roman raised his fist while spraying spittle everywhere.

Roman then growled and backed away.

"Now, tell me where I can find a tavern filled with like-minded men and women. I'm sure they'd at least take my mind off of this for a few minutes, at least."

"Of course, herr Baron..."
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Co-written with Thanas (who actually wrote most of this...)

Alexandria
The German Empire had sent a ship befitting the status of the princess Faradiah to carry her to the Empire. The SS Imperator had been pulled off liner service and chartered from the Hapag. The 52000 tons liner had even been redecorated with the golden eagle at the bow for the cruise. And nearly a thousand guards, servants and other court personal had embarked with it to see the Princess well tended to for the duration of the travel. But that was only one side of the issue. By sending the proverbial Imperator, the German Empire was making a statement to their commitment to the marriage treaty. Also, it had been thought that sending a lesser ship would insult the Sultan.

Princess Faridah watched from the stern deck as the shores of her homeland slowly disappeared in the distance. With them, so did her old life. In many ways that life had been challenging, but it had been hers--she could not help but wonder to what extent the same could be said for her new one. Faridah had many fond memories of her previous visits to Europe, but she knew that she was going to miss Egypt and all its peculiarities awfully. Only after Alexandria had completely disappeared over the horizon did the princess turn to head back inside. There would be a time for blue thoughts, but right now there were things to take care of and arrange.

Trieste
The Imperator, after having completed her travel, pulled into the Austrian harbour. The German Mediterranean fleet had turned out in force to welcome the Princess, their salute shots mingling with those of the cannon battery of Savudrija, guarding the entrance to the harbor.

The Princess Faridah was welcomed by the Emperor himself and the Chancellor. The populace regarded her with a mix of apprehension, curiosity and hostility, the latter mostly from people who were from the conservative side of the political spectrum. The Sultan had not come with his daughter, although he had made it known to the Germans that he did intend on visiting his daughter sometime in the future--the thought of which itself gave some of the German protocol consultants fits, because how did you prepare for a father visiting his daughter when that father was the Sultan of all Egypt and Arabia?

BUt right now the atmosphere in Trieste was joyous as the princess was received with all due pomp and circumstance. Faridah made a brief speech to the assembled crowds, offering just the right platitudes about the spirit of cooperation between great nations and the light of civilization. When near the end of the speech she announced her plan to convert to Christianity a great cheer went through the populace, which seemed more ready by the minute to accept the princess as one of their own.

Eventually, the party retired to the Imperial Train, which would carry them all to Berlin.

Imperial train

While Sänger waited for the Guardsman to announce him to the Princess, his thoughts drifted back to Berlin. He missed Natasha more than he thought he would, even if their separation would only last a week. Natasha was now four months pregnant and he really hated leaving her alone - if being surrounded by household staff counted as alone. No, it was more a case of her being bored, having been forced to give up most of her usual activities due to the pregnancy.

After the Guardsman had announced him, Sänger walked into the salon car (or rather, one of the two salon cars, the other being occupied by the Emperor). He approached the Princess and nodded, not bowing to Royalty as usual. The Princess, if she was surprised about this, did not let it show.

"Herr Doktor." "Your Highness." The Princess indicated a seat opposite her in the car. Introductions made, the two sat down and allowed themselves a moment of scrutinizing each other.

Faradiah had donned European clothing for the trip, clothing that was both modest and stylish. French, was Sänger's first thought, which he quickly changed to German-made copy of the French style. He almost smiled at that, noting that the princess apparently paid as much mind to little details as he did. Yes, this one will do very well indeed.

After some small talk had been made and coffee had been offered (and drunk), the question turned to politics. "Your Highness, I - " "Please", the Princess interjected, smiling at him. "In here, please call me Faridah." Sänger nodded, recognizing both the challenge and the offer. In this way, she almost reminded him of Natasha. "Very well, Princess Faridah." A neat little sidestep, while still fulfilling her request. Was he imagining it or did the Princess grin a little at that? Better not put too much stock into outward appearances.

"Princess Faridah, I am sure my two life goals are well known to you. The first is the national unity, the other is the modernization of the society. As long as God and the people are willing, I shall strive to fulfill both."

"Ah, but - forgive me, my German might be a bit rusty - can one fulfill those goals? After all, their hardly seems to be a benchmark for them."

Sänger nodded. "You are quite right, Princess. And your German is excellent, especially seeing how you only have studied it for a few months. But while I know the goal is unreachable for one can never be united or modern enough, I shall strive to do as much as possible with regards to that. But I shall need allies for that."

Sänger waited for the Princess to pick up on the subtext of his words. He was sure she already knew a lot of it. How she had been his choice, in order to split and spite the conservatives. How the whole marriage had been designed that she would be the one in the spotlight, the one who had the opportunity to form alliances. And how he had hoped she would take the opportunity to promote those causes in the world which he never could quite reach - the world of nobility itself. Of course, there was also the cost. She would have to fight many backroom battles both to ascertain her position and to promote her ideals - ideals he hoped she shared with him. He was already fairly certain she did, but it was better to be sure.

Yet looking at her, he was certain she knew the real question that was at the heart of this. Will you be an ally or a friend? Do I have to built you up only to fight and destroy you like your future husband? Sänger leaned back, waiting for an answer.

Faridah took a few seconds to contemplate the answer, then nodded once. "Your goals, Herr Chancellor," she finally said, "appear to both be matters of degrees. To what degree national unity? And to what degree, modernization? Indeed, what to unify and what to leave divided?" A hint of a smile played along the corners of her mouth and she brushed a strand of black hair off her forehead. "You are an ambitious man, Herr Chancellor. I am not by nature an ambitious woman, but I can be if I have to be--and as fate would have it, it appears that I will have to be." The smile vanished. "You have plucked me from my world to serve your purposes. I fully intend to make something of it... And I, too, shall need allies for that. And among the great many degrees, I am sure there are those that will suit us both."

Sänger nodded. As much as I could have expected, really. "Indeed, your highness. I am sure you understand that your power is symbolic in nature. Nevertheless, I am sure you will not waste it."

The lips of the princess twitched. "Herr Chancellor, there is no such thing as merely symbolic power."

Having said what was needed to be said by both, the conversation then turned to other things, things of a less political nature.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Berlin
August 6th, 1927
Unification Day

It was hard to believe that it had been two years since the peace treaty with the former Union of the Low Countries had been signed. The day, having become known as Unification Day in Germany, was going to be celebrated by a march by politicians from all parts of the empire to the Reichstag.

The Emperor was of course to frail to attend. However, his son, the King of the Netherlands and of the Belgians, would march alongside the Reichskanzler. Together, they would cross one of the many bridges over the Spree, followed by the factions of Parliament in order of their numbers. Though of course, this would mean they would immediately be followed by the social democrats. Sänger could already see the headlines in some papers- global leader of socialism marches on. But of course that would only be half the picture - more important was the message such a march would send.

There would be no military aside from the usual security. Instead, the military leadership would await the political leadership together with the emperor at the Reichstag. All in all, it looked like a good day to Sänger, where there not two facts bothering him. The first one was that Natasha was not able to attend due to the pregnancy - or rather, she had wanted to attend but her father and great-aunt had helped him to persuade her otherwise - and he did miss her presence, now that they only got to see each other when he came home from the Chancellery. Although, it was probably best not to expose a woman in her condition to a several-mile long foot walk.

The second fact bothering him were the two princesses. Maria Elisabeth was everything he expected. Smart, beautiful, a fiery temper and utterly like her aunt in that she and Sänger saw eye to eye. The Egyptian princess Faradiah meanwhile....that one was definitely a future Empress that needed watching, even though the reports he had read so far about her said nothing of the kind. And her future husband was as insufferable as ever.

As Sänger took his place besides the Crown Prince, he was far too occupied with such thoughts to notice the cheering populace, nor the boats that had lined the Spree river with spectators. As the walk had almost cleared the bridge, he never saw his bodyguard Hans clench as he looked at one particular boat driver. All he felt was Hans slamming into him and the crown prince, starting to push them both away from the bridge, before an enormous power lifted him from the ground. Sänger felt slamming into something. Then everything went black.

The explosion from the Dutch resistance barge Vrijheid was tremendous. Shrapnel tore through spectators and politicians alike. With a tremendous shudder, the bridge collapsed into the river, drowning more men and women.

An investigation would later determine that the barge had been seen near the Stadtschloss several times, but had not approached it due to the high level of security. It would also determine that due to the high level of press coverage, the terrorists had been able to position themselves well in advance and that due to the Gardekorps not being used for security, the police protection had been inadequate.

However, none of that mattered right now for Hans as he discovered that while he and the Crown Prince had only sustained minor injuries, his Chancellor was lying in a puddle of blood.

General Staff,
Two hours later

As Admiral Scheer was let into the bunker that also doubled as the newly refurbished War room, he noticed a few things. First, the Reichskanzler was not here. Instead, it looked as if the Emperor would be leading things. He did however notice a familiar face - Sänger's secretary Elise, trying in vain to hide the fact that she had cried earlier. He quickly walked over to her and handed her a handkerchief. He waited for her to finish blowing her nose and then asked her about the situation. After having gotten a brief status report, he nodded grimly. It did not look good.

The Chancellor had been transported to the Charité, currently in emergency surgery after having been speared by an iron fencing post. Massive loss of blood, doctors refuse to give a prognosis. The Crown Prince had been transported to the Charité as well with broken legs and head trauma.
The Vice-Chancellor and five cabinet ministers dead, as well as over thirty department heads.
At least 300 members of the Reichstag seriously injured or dead, most of them having died when the bridge collapsed. And they were still pulling bodies out of the water....
Not to mention the spectators....

Shit.

Scheer finished recapping the situation in his head and immediately came to attention when the Emperor entered the room, followed by a gaggle of Generals and Admirals including von Mackensen and von Hipper. "Thank you. Be seated." The Emperor's voice sounded strained, as if the Emperor was close to loosing his countenance. As Scheer looked at his sovereign, he could not help but notice the Emperor twitching once it became clear that many seats around the table would be left empty.

"Who did this?" Nobody could answer the Emperor's question. "Could this be a part of a surprise attack?" More silence. "I want answers, and I want them NOW." This part, accentuated with the Emperor's fist hitting the table, caused the members of the emergency committee to look at each other helplessly. Finally, von Mackensen stood. "Your Majesty, nobody can say right now." Wilhelm snorted. "Great. I want a full mobilization of all our forces. I will not be caught off-guard again."

Scheer thought he saw a flash of panic in the Emperor's eyes. He empathized with the man. After all, Wilhelm's family had been the target of bombs twice now, not to mention the assassination attempt on his daughter-in-law. Still, he had a duty to voice his opinion. He stood. "Your majesty, with all due respect, but this might be premature. It may just be a simple terrorist attack - "

"Simple terrorist attack? Grand Admiral, have you gone insane?" The voice came from the back of the room. But Scheer recognized it immediately. "Herr Hugenberg, you are not a member of this chamber - " "He is here on my invitation", the Kaiser interjected. And soon enough, Hugenberg had muscled his way from the back to the front of the table. "I have been warning you for years, Scheer, about the dangers posed by the Poles and the British. About the danger of the soviets and of the Dominion. Now, in the time of crisis, we have to act. We have to safeguard Germany. We have to make sure our safety is -"

"Before you get ahead in your little speech, Herr Hugenberg, I suggest you actually come up with some proof. And besides, we all face a small problem here." Von Hipper had been silent so far, but now he had spoken up.

Hugenberg, whose face had become even redder than before, now swiveled around and glared at the Grand Admiral. "And what is that?" "None of us has the authority to call for a general mobilization, save asking the Reichstag for war loans. Not even his Majesty." The pointed look the Grand Admiral gave at the Chancellor's empty chair was not lost on the audience.

"Oh, pish-posh. We cannot stand here and let a little legalese get in our way in this time of crisis. Your Majesty, I implore you to act immediately. The Vizekanzler is dead. You can appoint an emergency chancellor. Your Majesty, I beg you - do so now, for the sake of all of us. And of our children. We know need a visionary to lead us. You are that one person, your majesty."

After a while, the Emperor nodded. "I am afraid Herr Hugenberg is right. We cannot afford a power vacuum. We have to act in a decisive manner. By the power vested in me by God and the constitution, I hereby appoint my loyal servant, Herrn Alfred Hugenberg, to the office of Reichskanzler until such a time the Reichstag confirms another - or the Chancellor recovers."

Almost as if by command, the military leadership rose at once, but before they could speak the Emperor himself stood up. "That is all. You have sworn an oath to me. I expect you to uphold it. Good day."

After the Emperor had departed, Hugenberg crossed the room and sat down in the Chancellor's chair. "You have your orders. I expect status reports by tomorrow. Meanwhile, enact the emergency plans."

After the officers had filed out, Hugenberg asked for any unanswered diplomatic correspondence. There was one telegramm left and reading it a smile played around his eyes. Oh my. This is going to be interesting.

After having ordered a simple reply being sent, Hugenberg leaned back in the chair. Where Sänger failed to take the necessary steps to secure the German nation, he would not. And in the corner, Elise Li watched powerless as the newly appointed Reichskanzler went about to impose his vision on the world.

Radio Norddeich

The message had arrived from Berlin via the emergency line. The station had already received the earlier breaking news from Berlin and transmitted it, but this was cut short when the naval radio operators assigned to the stations took over. Soon, Norddeich and all other German radio stations that were servicing the vast German Merchant Fleet began sending out a simple messages, using the second, previously-unused secret merchant cypher.
Decoded Message wrote: GREEN.GREEN.GREEN.

SS Columbus
Atlantic Ocean

Captain Jens Sänger already had had a rude awakening when one of his radio operators had announced that there had been a bomb blast and that his brother had been rushed to the hospital. When his Funker, ashen as a sheet, approached him with the message "Fall Grün has been enacted", he knew his day was only to get worse. All too clearly, he remembered the secret briefings he and all merchant captains had received as part of regular briefings by the Kaiserliche Marine on security issues:
CASE GREEN
In the case of Green being transmitted over the secret cypher, all ships in German and allied waters (Spain, France, Tuscany, Portugal, China) and harbours will place themselves and their cargo at the disposal of the Marineamt.

All ships in non-German or non-allied waters will take the following general actions:
- The ships are to head for safe ports immediately.
- If possible, said ships will take onboard important cargo (see Appendix A). The Marineamt will cover any losses from any unfavorable transactions that arise out of this order
- The ships are to be made ready for scutlling and or firing
- Ships have to try to reach safe ports within 60 hours of receipt of this order.

Safe ports
- All German ports in Germany proper.
- Outside Germany, the following ports are to be first choice:
a) The German ports of Berbera, Dar-es-Salaam, Lomé, Tsingtao, Saipan, Flores, Sumbawa and the port of Timor
b) The French ports of Brest, St. Nazair and Lorient as well as the port of Cassablanca
c) Spanish ports of Cadiz and Vigo as well as the Spanish colonies of Curacao, Guyana and Uruguay
c) French ports of Brest, St. Nazaire, Lorient and Cassablanca
d) Portugese ports of Lisbon and Porto as well as Cap Verde, Madeira and the Azores.
e) Chinese and Tuscan ports [snip]

All ships may substitute allied ports if necessary.

Ships will avoid the following ports except in case of ship-threatening emergency:
a) Great Britain including her colonies
b) The Nordic Union and her colonies
c) Polish Commonwealth ports

Due to the ongoing limited naval war between the Nations, the ports of the Grand Dominion and Shepistan are to be avoided except in case of emergency. Ships are ordered to check with German Commander at Berbera and ask for permission.

If necessary, ships may enter ports of neutral and unaligned nations such as the Republic of Cascadia, The Empire of Mexico, The United States of America, Gran Colombia, [rest of non-aligned nations snipped]

Ships assembled are to wait for further orders from the Marineamt.
Cursing, Jens Sänger immediately ordered the ship to full speed. With good luck, she would reach Bremen in three days. All over the globe, an unusual flurry of activity was recorded on German ships. Liberty was cancelled, stores and cargo were quickly loaded and in some cases, ships even left harbor without any cargo at all.

And in Germany, reservists were called upon while the surviving members of the Reichstag were called in for an emergency session.

Kingdom of Spain
Madrid
Royal Palace

Queen Marian had received a simple telegramm from Berlin. It came from the office of the Reichskanzler and carried two simple words: GO AHEAD. "What about Johannes?" "We do not know, your majesty. Dead or seriously injured. In any case, I fear we will have seen the last of him." The Queen mulled this over. She did not like this one bit - but then again, this provided a rare window of opportunity. The interests of her nation demanded that she take it. Sighing, she went about notifying her cabinet.

Reichstag
Emergency session

It quickly became apparent to Jakob Burchardt that without Sänger around, the coalition he had built was quickly falling apart as the more conservative national liberals sided with Hugenberg, who had earlier read an address of the Kaiser urging the Reichstag to give Hugenberg "the help he needed to protect Germany in this time of crisis".
The socialists had been almost wiped out by the blast. Of their leaders, only Müller and Scheidemann had survived, both being in the hospital and unable to intercede. The catholic centrum was torn, a fact not helped by the young prince Otto having shown up to champion Hugenberg. Burchardt himself had tried to speak out, but had been quickly shouted down by the conservatives.
Disgusted, he left the chamber before the votes were tallied in order to stand by Natasha in the hospital. After all, there was nothing he could do now.

Hugenberg would have his way.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Altdorf Naval Yard

"Come on you scallywags! Move faster!" The Chief Boatswain yelled at the sailors. The Thunderer was doing it's best to get to sea at short notice. All around the anchorage at Altdorf the Battle Fleet was raising steam. The terrorist attacks in Germany had been met with a mixture of shock and Schadenfreude in the Grand Dominion. No matter how hated the German government was, attacks on senior government officials was considered barbarism by the majority of citizens in the Grand Dominion. On the other hand, there was a vocal minority who said, frankly, that the Germans had what was coming to them for embarking on their wars of conquest and oppressing their minorities. At no point did the irony of those statements set in.

Unfortunately, the steps the German government was taking in response were being viewed with alarm by the Joint War Staff. The Army of Araby was being brought up to full alert, and the Battle fleet was being ordered to put to sea lest the German IO Fleet attempt a "Copenhagen" of the fleet. The Enrico Dandalo was still doing circles in the Mediterranean waiting for the Lady Katherine's mission to be completed. Who could say what would happen next?

Diplomatic Message sent to German Government

Code: Select all

To: The Office of the Reichskanzler

Herr Hugenberg:

I wish your Emperor good health;

I wish to convey my deepest sympathies over the disaster that has occured in Berlin.  Please let Mrs. Sänger know that her husband remains in the thoughts of the citizens of the Grand Dominion.  

I would also like to offer the technical expertise of the Department of Public safety in studying the evidence.  Unfortunately the Grand Dominion's troubles with hindoo and moslem terrorists over the decades has given our own law enforcement agencies something of a specialization at getting to the bottom of incidents like this.  With co-ordination with "overflight" countries, we would be able to have a team in Berlin in less than a week.

Finally, I would like to express concern at some of the actions the German government is taking.  It is almost as if you believe this tragic terrorist attack was a precursor to a invasion or something.  While the Grand Dominion respects the needs of every nation to take care of it's own security measures, we would like some assurance that the German Empire isn't planning on doing anything rash.

Yours in Christ,
M.B. Bucher
Lord fairfax
Lord Protector of the Grand Dominion of the Indies
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Army house, Shepistan

"The Goddamns are mobilizing their fleet!" shouted the aide to J.C. "Jesus Christ" Fisher.

"They are, by god!"

"This is clearly a premeditated Goddamn plot to seize the advantage at whatever cost!"

"Excute PLAN ORANGE."

Results: Shepistani Navy begins sortieing, and mine barriage preparations are made.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Foreign Ministry
Champs-Elysees
Paris, France

Alain Dupont threw the document on the desk and strode to the large window overlooking Paris's main artery. It had been an extremely trying few days. Among other problems, the Reichskanzler, someone Dupont counted as a friend, had been severely injured in a terrorist bombing, with his prospects for continued life unknown, Germany's more hawkish factions' ascent to power, and discontented murmurings from withing Dupont's own Simonist Party weighed on his mind.

Added to the document on the Foreign Minister's desk - Dupont having commandeered the man's office to ensure that no one else saw the offending piece of paper; one never knew when couriers or telegraphists might be more than they seemed - it amde for quite an impressive load.

Grimacing, France's President looked across the Champs-Elysees to the War Ministry, sentries' bayoneted weapons gleaming in the afternoon sun. Squinting, he could almost make out the Minister himself, Etienne de la Conde, at his own window. He, at least, would approve of the damned document. He'd been appointed as a concession to the Simonist's own hawkish members, and shared many a view with the madman currently occupying the German Reichskanlei. Dupont sighed, and took up the paper again.
Joint Ultimatum from the Kingdom of Spain, the French Republic and the German Empire to the British Empire Regarding the Status of Gibraltar

Be it hereby recognized that the Kingdom of Spain has a valid territorial claim to the region commonly known as Gibraltar. Be it further recognized that the British Empire has illegally occupied it since 1713.

Therefore, the undersigned nations request that the British Empire relinquish all claims to Gibraltar to its rightful owner, the nation of Spain. The undersigned nations further request that in order to diminish the threat Great Britain poses to the undersigned nations, Britain agrees to limit her Navy to a size agreed upon by the Nations of Spain, Great Britain and Germany.

Shall Britain comply, the undersigned nations agree to compensate her for her loss. The undersigned nations further guarantee that the British Navy shall not be reduced to a level lower than the combined tonnage of the British Navy in 1925.

Failure to comply with any of these terms shall result in war.

The British Empire shall have until August 11th, 08:00 to reply.

Signed,
Alain Dupont, President of France
Her Majesty The Queen Marian I of Spain
WIR
He sighed again, and affixed his signature. That done, he personally took it to the Information Ministry for proper distribution, both international and domestic.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

A mere twenty-six hours after the publication of the ultimatum issued by the French, Spanish and German governments, three sets of three identical high-priority messages were delivered to those governments from the embassies of Egypt, Byzantium and the Balkans in Paris, Berlin and Madrid. In each case the message had obviously been composed in a hurry, but it was affixed with all the proper signatures and signs that it had come from the very highest levels of government.
Priority telegram from the Eastern Roman Empire, the Sultanate of Egypt, and the Balkan Confederacy to the Kingdom of Spain, the French Republic and the German Empire:

Messrs,

The Egyptian Sultanate, Balkan Confederacy and Eastern Roman Empire hereby jointly express their extreme dissatisfaction over the ultimatum you have extended to the British Empire vis-a-vis the status of the Gibraltar overseas territory.

We find your course of action ill-advised and your arguments for demanding the cession of Gibraltar wholly wanting. The Gibraltar territory was legally ceded in perpetuity by Spain to the British Crown in the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713. Should you wish to pursue a claim of ownership to Gibraltar, then so will the Sultanate of Egypt. The Gibraltar territory belonged for 750 years to the Umayyad dynasty and its successors until it was wrested from Muslim hands by force of arms by the Duke of Medina Sidonia in 1462. As the successor state of the Umayyad and Abbasid Caliphates the Sultanate therefore has at least as much claim to Gibraltar as Spain does.

We further find your expressed desire to force Britain to reduce her navy an intolerable breach of the Empire's absolute and indivisible national sovereignty, and one which poses a grave threat to the precarious balance of power, and thus the peace, in Europe, the Mediterranean, and Northern Africa.

As a major stakeholder in the continued stability of those regions the Aegean powers find your current course of action foolhardy, belligerent and needlessly provocative, a threat to the ideal of national sovereignty, and a clear sign that you are intent on pursuing, by force of arms, regional, and perhaps greater, domination. We beseech you as your friends to cease and desist in this imprudent and impolitic course, and warn you that should you decide to continue it the Aegean Axis will draw its conclusions from that fact, and respond appropriately.

Signed,

Abbas ibn Kareem al-Filisteeni
Wazir ud-Daula for the Sultan of Egypt

Ivo Kosor
Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Balkan Confederacy

Michael Kantakouzene
Chartoularios tou kanikleiou of the Eastern Roman Empire
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Code: Select all

Message to the German Empire, Kingdom of Spain, and French Republic

The Grand Dominion of the Indies is alarmed by the Ultimatum that you have delivered to the British Empire in regards to Gibraltar and the size of it's Navy.

The Grand Dominion believes that it is the right of all nations to take measures needed to defend itself, and the overt threat you have made toward Britannia's possessions indicates that the British Empire is entirely justified in maintaining it's current naval size.

The Grand Dominion will be consulting with several other nations to determine the best course of action if you do not back away from this ultimatum.  Rest assured:  This will not stand.  At the least the Grand Dominion will re-assess legality of German and French territorial claims in the Indian Ocean and Southeast Asia.

The Grand Dominion further notes that the British Empire has maintained several enclaves in India, but has accepted legality of these possessions.  The number of these possessions are far more than the one along the Spanish coast.

The large cruiser [i]Enrico Dandalo[/i] will be paying an extended port visit to Gibraltar.  The Lord Protector will hold your governments responsible if any harm comes to Dominion property or personnel in Gibraltar.

Yours in Christ,

Valdimir Berman
Foreign Minister, Grand Dominion of the Indies
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Black Gold

Oil... Black Gold... Gasoline!

Oil company Egypt Araeco has announced a discovery of what it claims is a "oil field of not insignificant size" near the small hamlet of Dammam in eastern Arabia. The company, originally started as a joint venture by several state-owned Byzantine and Egyptian oil companies, has searched for oil in the Arabian deserts for several years, until now without much success. Egypt Araeo claims it intends to develop the Dammam drill site into a well producing at least 1,500 barrels of petroleum per day, and has professed a desire to construct a refinery in al-Kuwait. The port city in the Emirate of Kuwait is already an important hub in the refinement and shipment of oil from several smaller oil fields near al-Basrah and Byzantine Persia.

Egypt Araeo was founded as Egyptian-Byzantine Standard Oil in 1922, and was assigned a concession to search for oil in eastern provinces and the Emirates in that same year. Last year it changed its name to Egypt Araeco (Arabian-Aegean Corporation) to reflect its new trans-Aegean nature. A majority share in the company is owned indirectly by the governments of the Aegean Axis, with Byzantium and Sarajevo each holding 25% stakes in the concession. Another 30% is owned by the Sultan, and a final 20% of the concession is traded on the public market.