SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VI

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VI

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yes! An Arikroll!

Fuck, Coyote, you TOTALLY MUST FALL FOR IT IN LIVE TV! For the lulz! PLEASE!

(Of course, you'd be gracious and would laugh at it and go on with the gag, because you're COOL like that, RIGHT?)

:D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

SiegeTank wrote:
Beowulf wrote:In game, the Huang Di is affronted by the hypocrisy that Baerne, and now San Dorado have shown with Costa. They're unwilling to intervene when FTO nations have coups (multiple in one case), but feel perfectly fine in messing around with some craphole that has no friends.
That's fascinating. In-game, Sidney Hank thinks the Huang-Di is a massive hypocrite as well, because he wails about the 'mandate of heaven' when the outcome of a revolution happens to jibe with his interests, and sends fleets and fighters when it does not. So what affronts him is not something Mr. Hank particularly cares about.
At what point have I publically intervened in support of either the current government of Costa against the rebels, or King Jeffrey against Brandon? In fact, I ended up treating with Brandon, and the entire matter has been solved to everyone's satisfaction. I send fleets and fighters to prevent others from intervening. If a ruler truly has the mandate of heaven, then they'd be able to win without the military support of an outside power.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

SiegeTank wrote:Like San Dorado, the Duchy of Baerne has for decades maintained a buffer zone within the Costa to ensure the peace and stability of the border regions--because the Costa government was incapable of doing so itself. Whilst it may well be true that Baernish forces crossed from that buffer zone into the Costa proper they nominally did so in order to keep the peace, which is what they're there for, so the issue is hardly as clear cut as 'they invaded, they bad'.
And unless the government of the Costas is full of idiots, I'm pretty sure the agreement allowing for the buffer zone did not provide for an armored division, complete with "attack jets" to roll out of said buffer zone and take control of the southern areas of their country.

So I'd think a reaction of "invasion!" on the part of the Costas would probably be justified. And easily seen by others as a provocative act on the part of Baerne. Either hoping they'd get an overreaction and excuse for war, or simply backing the rebels who will no doubt be good little allies and join CATO.

Because all the secret expansion of CATO, dismissal of the FTO, and blatent violations of the Frequesuean Neutrality Pact that entailed wouldn't have made people nervous and suspicious. This "revolution", quiet for some time, suddenly flares up, and Baerne "intervenes" by sending in armored forces, and all of this takes place what, mere weeks after they join CATO? Yep, nothing to be suspicious about at all.

Perhaps we can accept that, unlike in an SDN debate, when it comes to these things it's not as clear cut as "Enterprise vs an ISD"?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I, uh, don't have a wiki account?

(Do you NEED an account to do that stuff? And HOW do you edit a wiki anyway? Never did any wiking before. Ever. Mang!)
Technically, I don't think so. Though it'd help, if for nothing else than the procedure I gave above to set wikitext as your default editing style.

As to how to do it, there are loads of guides out there. Heck, Wikia even has some tooltip type stuff in sidebars with their editor to help out. If you really want I could maybe see about taking your OOB and Wiki-fying it a bit, then you can edit from there.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Eh, no rush. It's late and I'll be heading for breads (beds) soon. There are other nations out there to wiki-fy too. Unless you really wuv us Shroomanians. :)

Man, a wiki! I must remake the other parts of my OOB to be really zany and hip and cool too! RADICAL!

EXTREEEEME!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Coyote wrote:If we want to RP the massive, practically overnight expansion of CATO, the breaking of the FTO treaty, and the then-sudden invasion of a sovereign country by a newly-backed CATO ally who pretends to be a victim of the invaded country, and everyone in the neighborhood is just peachy with that, hey, I'm cool.
That's not my point, and I strongly suspect that you damn well know it. If you want to RP upheaval that's fine; upheaval makes the game interesting. But what you're doing is taking a nation that I invented and have RP'ed all this time -and quite responsibly, I think- and then you suddenly turn that nation in a direction that makes no sense whatsoever, which irritates me mightily because the least you could've done is consult me on the matter beforehand.

As for the 'just peachy' bit, I take it you conveniently forgot the way the Misterian supreme leader blew up in my face when he found out what I'd done?
Czechmate wrote:Oh, wow. I cannot help but challenge you to have the brave Mister Hank actually say that in public.
Even if I did, what's he going to do about it? Stare at me angrily? File another lawsuit?
RogueIce wrote:And unless the government of the Costas is full of idiots, I'm pretty sure the agreement allowing for the buffer zone did not provide for an armored division, complete with "attack jets" to roll out of said buffer zone and take control of the southern areas of their country.
What the Duchy of Baerne did was secure the hinterland behind the front where the revolutionaries were fighting. They're revolutionaries, you can hardly expect them to keep the peace whilst they're still fighting their insurrection. So Baerne stepped in to keep the area from falling into lawlessness. It was in the middle of this peacekeeping operation that the forces of the dictator attacked them with chemical weapons, and launched an aggressive air-raid against the Baernish capital which claimed the lives of a whole bunch of innocents. That's our side of the story and we're sticking to it; you're free to think differently of course but the fact of the matter is that the situation is hardly as clear-cut as a massive invasion by evil Baernish conquistadors.
Last edited by Siege on 2009-04-07 03:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Don't challenge Sidney Hank, man. He fucking blew up a goddamn tank with a fucking bazooka.

Even the Huang Di's mythical thousand shadow palm strike can't do that!
Ahh, but remember, Hank was shot down and forced to be a combatant. When Miss Jia was kidnapped by eco-terrorists, King Arik voluntarily parachuted in with the Airborne to rescue her and assault the base of Kert Swanson's lettuce-eating, 'Dances with Dinosaurs' freaks. :P
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, you and your three hundred well-hung Spartan paratroopers! You had a parachute, while Sidney Hank fell out of an exploding helicopter and landed on his face. And while Arik probably fired some shots, all Hank had was his fellow burly man-President and a couple of deadbeat Secret Service agents, and they single handedly ensured victory for the day!

(All I'm saying is that you could've blown up a Stegosaurus or something.)

Hey, did that dinosaur thing ever happen in SDNW2? Was that, like, incorporated into our bizzare weirdo composite history? (Do we even have dinosaurs in SDNW2? Because we sure as hell should have!)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Don't challenge Sidney Hank, man. He fucking blew up a goddamn tank with a fucking bazooka.

Even the Huang Di's mythical thousand shadow palm strike can't do that!
Meh. I have planes to blow up tanks.
SiegeTank wrote:What the Duchy of Baerne did was secure the hinterland behind the front where the revolutionaries were fighting. They're revolutionaries, you can hardly expect them to keep the peace whilst they're still fighting their insurrection. So Baerne stepped in to keep the area from falling into lawlessness. It was in the middle of this peacekeeping operation that the forces of the dictator attacked them with chemical weapons, and launched an aggressive air-raid against the Baernish capital which claimed the lives of a whole bunch of innocents. That's our side of the story and we're sticking to it; you're free to think differently of course but the fact of the matter is that the situation is hardly as clear-cut as a massive invasion by evil Baernish conquistadors.
Generally speaking, what Baerne did is considered materially helping the revolutionaries. Supporting the revolutionaries is the same as waging war against the Costa government. And you don't conduct peacekeeping operations with tanks, attack helicopters, and attack jets.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

SiegeTank wrote:That's not my point, and I strongly suspect that you damn well know it. If you want to RP upheaval that's fine; upheaval makes the game interesting. But what you're doing is taking a nation that I invented and have RP'ed all this time -and quite responsibly, I think- and then you suddenly turn that nation in a direction that makes no sense whatsoever, which irritates me mightily because the least you could've done is consult me on the matter beforehand.
Actually, I thought the Raj was an NPC. I couldn't recall the last time they did anything except send some sort of aid when Hank & Garret were shot down, but then half the planet was doing that so I didn't really latch onto it.

Because I thought Raj was an NPC, I was just trying to have at least couple nations on Frequesne be concerned about the throwing away of neutrality and the sudden CATO-protected belligerence of Baerne. Had I truly been aware that Raj was your "baby" I'd've picked a different F-ing continent nation to wander into my office. I honestly thought I was grabbing a name from a hat; apparantly you have Raj in a status much like I have Katangwaland.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hey, did that dinosaur thing ever happen in SDNW2? Was that, like, incorporated into our bizzare weirdo composite history? (Do we even have dinosaurs in SDNW2? Because we sure as hell should have!)
I made it a part of the Canissian history, because I really was dismayed at th eidea of all that backstory, plot development, and hard work going to waste. Some of it was pretty good and applicable to the modern tale; for example my kids' ages picked up where they left off instead of going through the pregnancy-birth-growing up cycle cagain. They're now about, umm, ten, I think.

Basically I "kept" all the relevant history except the nuclear war. I put the dinos in inner Veleria to fit today's layout, since a bomb-blasted Zoria with Celine Dione singing robots wasn't part of the history.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Coyote wrote:Basically I "kept" all the relevant history except the nuclear war. I put the dinos in inner Veleria to fit today's layout, since a bomb-blasted Zoria with Celine Dione singing robots wasn't part of the history.
Goddamn I loved SDN World 1.

Man, we should go back to it! Brain-stained donuts and all!

(Technically, it was Zarblogia - not Zoria, mang.)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Coyote wrote:I honestly thought I was grabbing a name from a hat; apparantly you have Raj in a status much like I have Katangwaland.
I see; well, no harm done then. And I confess I mistook your attempt to create some honest ambiguity as the potential beginning of another land grab, of which I feel there's been quite enough in my immediate vicinity lately.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Elsewhere, at the same time... :D

BTW, Shroom, are you going to continue the adventures of Khan Alan, or should I make a post instead?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

PeZook wrote:Elsewhere, at the same time... :D
Ana Fuck Yeah. :D I was wondering when you would get around to continuing the story.

EDIT: I don't have time right now, to deal with the current crisis. But, I believe a diplomatic solution is best for everyone involved.
Last edited by DarthShady on 2009-04-07 04:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

BTW, Shroom, are you going to continue the adventures of Khan Alan, or should I make a post instead?
Goddamn, I will. I will.

No fair to burden you with all our ridiculous stories. And Bean gave me carte blanche to do all sorts of mad shit! :twisted:

EDIT:

Fuck it! Shroom wants to fly over there to the Costa and mediate the goddamn conflict between Ejercito Whatshisface, Sam Austin and the goddamn Duke of Death James Baerne.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:

No fair to burden you with all our ridiculous stories. And Bean gave me carte blanche to do all sorts of mad shit! :twisted:
No better decision can be, or has been, made.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

:lol:

Also, PeZook:

GODDAMN ANA! Goddamn it, she can NOT die! She must LIVE!

We need her!

For PRIME NOIR
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

If anyone can get the other side to sit down and talk, we will too.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

RogueIce wrote:Wow Coyote, you fucked up the formatting on your page hard core dude. Luckily, being a friendly Wiki Admin, I fixed it for you. It still sucks, but at least it doesn't have code all over the place. :razz:

Anyway, easiest way to avoid that is this:

1) Register.
2) Go to Special pages -> Preferences
3) In Preferences, click on the Editing tab.
4) Then check the box that says Disable Rich Text Editing

That way, you'll default to editing via wikitext. If there's a way to make that default across the entire Wiki, I haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking though.
Thanks for the help. I had originally posted here in the OOC that it was a hasty cut-n-paste I'd have to tinker with, but, oh wel... :wink:

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coyote wrote:Thanks for the help. I had originally posted here in the OOC that it was a hasty cut-n-paste I'd have to tinker with, but, oh wel... :wink:
Not a problem.

Speaking of which, as information I'm slowly but surely updating my Wiki page. As I transfer information to it, I'm deleting it out of the OOB thread. Eventually all that'll be left there is a link to the Wiki page.

And FYI, even those sections that are up aren't "done" yet. I still have quite a bit of stuff to do, but for now they serve as copies of what I used to have in the OOB (though updated, at least).

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Master_Baerne wrote:If anyone can get the other side to sit down and talk, we will too.
Considering the other side is an NPC, I see no problem with that.

Gentlemen, the Peace Talks have begun. Now let's end this with words, before it escalates.

I hope Siege doesn't mind playing host. :wink:
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

"Continue the fight on the negotiating table", heh.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Master_Baerne wrote:"Continue the fight on the negotiating table", heh.
A bad choice of words perhaps, but it gets the point across. :)

Now, let's end this peacefully.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

5K of text takes a while to type up.