STGOD idea: A classical age game?

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

ray245
Emperor's Hand

STGOD idea: A classical age game?

Post by ray245 »

Instead of having a science fiction, fantasy or a current day setting, I am thinking of creating a game set in the Classical age, say around 270 BCE.

Perhaps it may be fun to stretch the entire map to the whole of Eurasia and Africa? People can choose how to build their army, a Hoplite , a Phalanx army or a Legion.

What do you think? If people like this idea, I will provide more details.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: STGOD idea: A classical age game?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

It sounds interesting. Unfortunately I doubt I'll have time unless the talk about another space STGOD goes nowhere.

But you might want to post a little more detail so people know just what you're talking about. Specific historical period, any rules, etc.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I was thinking of setting this in the 270 BCE, just before the Punic wars. People can either use the exisiting factions, or create a new or splinter faction in this game.

I am thinking of letting this STGOD end in the year 7 CE. Other than that, I am thinking that no one should be allowed to research into gunpowder era weapons.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I like the idea. It was trying to figure out the fantasy elements and more mundane ones that made me decide SDN Kingdoms wasn't for me. I'd like something more down to earth.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

We should have a roleplaying game where we play cavemen throwing rocks at each other and trying not to be eaten by dinosaurs.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I'd be interested, however, it depends on if/when I can get my comptuer repaired.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I'd love to organize a Diadochoi type state, with Pike phalanxes and elite cavalry from the ruling class, with subject peoples providing levy troops. Basically all manner of troops under one big banner.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

As in touch as I am with my Greek heritage, I think we're going to see too much of that.

So, I'd totally go with Scythians of some flavor. Nomadic horsemen would be fun to use, methinks.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I'll play, if it gets off the ground.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Hence the use of auxiliaries. We could have a large number of NPC kingdoms of different cultures, and they can either be conquered completely or made to provide levy troops.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I would prefer to have either some sorcery or level or Gunpowder era weaponry. As well as allowing for non European civilizations.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I don't see any problem with Non European civilizations being involved. But gunpowder just doesn't fit in the classical era.