SDNWorld 3.0 Poll - Third time's the charm?

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Nova Nova Nova Terra - A world worth building?

Poll ended at 2008-11-03 10:03pm

Yes! My imperialist heart demands it!
11%
Yes! But Shep and/or Skimmer must be hung, drawn, and quartered first.
26%
No! I refuse, sir. Good day, sir.
63%

Total votes: 19

Czechmate
Jedi Knight

SDNWorld 3.0 Poll - Third time's the charm?

Post by Czechmate »

EDIT: THIS IS A CONTINGENCY PLAN IN THE EVENT THAT 2.0 IS NOT SALVAGEABLE. BUT I REALLY WOULDN'T BET ON IT.

As Nova Nova Terra careens toward horrible, inevitable shepskimmerbomberWMD-related failure, one must plan for the future after the end.

Once we emerge from our respective fuhrerbunkers and/or are spirited away by Q back to reality, do we do this again?

It's pretty clear what ended 1 and 2, so let's not dwell. Assuming we can collectively come up with a way to play the game with Shep and Skimmer's hands tied or outright chopped the fuck off (sharia law has its' uses), who would be interested?

Assume that 3.0 (or Redux Redux) will use as much of the previous world-map as possible, but will either have the Big Red Reset Button pushed, or the temporal wheel dialed back to the 1900s or, possibly, the early 1800s. Alternatively, an Earth map could be used with borders adjusted to those around the 1850s. That would be very, VERY interesting.

For this game I suggest the bottom (Duchy) and top (Imperium) tiers be removed entirely and folded into the Principality and Tsardom tiers, respectively. This will bring more balance to the game, by removing the topheaviest powers (5 trillion? 3000 points? see what Skimmer fuckin' did with that?) and the lowest stragglers.

Lastly, the points system should be retained, but revamped. Clearly it was insufficient if certain players preferred to wank it up via 'budget calculation' or someshit.

EDIT: This game most likely will not take place in the modern era. fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me, y'know?
Last edited by Czechmate on 2008-09-19 11:32pm, edited 4 times in total.
tiny friendly crab.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

*folds arms and smiles smugly, as if to say 'I told you so'*
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

The historical era you're putting it in makes the whole "Argument over 'can technology X do Y'" thing disappear overnight, certainly.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

We need a contingency in case SDN World v2.0 does indeed become unsalvageable (I still hold out some hope for it), but I refuse to dick around with anything older than World War II-era hardware.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Um, Game 2 isn't over yet. Shep and Lonestar are at the negotiating table, when? I have no clue. But that can be worked out once the saga of WWIII is over.
Crayz9000 wrote:*folds arms and smiles smugly, as if to say 'I told you so'*
:( We almost made it to the moon.

If we play a new game, why would we use the same world map? If we choose to dial back to the Age of Empires, we, the small duchies, would have to be colonies of empires anyway, so we should just start the game over completely if we give up on 2. This way we can set ourselves up with differently, since we are giving up on 2. I mean, I wouldn't play as a current colony, but I would be willing to play as a Genoa-type area.

also, I disagree with removing Duchies and Imperiums. You could just make the curve a little less, well curvy. The GDPs would have to be changed in an AoE situation anyway, so if you redo it, just change the curve to be more friendly to the people with less posts, or not, as I lived with having no military.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

It's not unsalvageable yet, and I say it should continue for now. Shep is losing, and Japanistan can't take on the whole world by itself it tries anything funny.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Game two is bloody well thrashing through its' ending spasms and you know it. This is what happens when you allow Shep or Skimmer -any- room.

Though Karmic makes a good point about the map. I just figured it'd be easier to not have to work out yet another map.

Also, no duchies. No goddamn duchies, or imperiums for that matter. Both imbalance things too much. A principality in the early 18th or 19th century would be approximate to Hannover or Bavaria, one of the German States of pre-unification Germany. A Tsardom would be, well, Russia or France or the Austrian Empire. There's simply no room for such imbalancing tiers as Duchy or Imperium and no argument for their existance.
Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:We need a contingency in case SDN World v2.0 does indeed become unsalvageable (I still hold out some hope for it), but I refuse to dick around with anything older than World War II-era hardware.
I agree, except I refuse to deal with anything newer than WW2-era hardware. No fucking spamnukes or chemicals or super-long-range bombers or whatever.
tiny friendly crab.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

It isn't Shep this time, but the MESS, who have put together a combined alliance that is next to imposable to kill. I'm not saying that Shep sould be more powerful, but that the MESS should be less powerful.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

MariusRoi wrote:It isn't Shep this time, but the MESS, who have put together a combined alliance that is next to imposable to kill. I'm not saying that Shep sould be more powerful, but that the MESS should be less powerful.
Which of the two factions spent the entire lead up to the war provoking the other side? THAT is the point. The MESS being "unbeatable" isn't the issue, Shep griefing is.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

The MESS isn't the problem. The ability of a given player to escape casualties through the equivalent of modern-day Treknobabble bullshit is.
tiny friendly crab.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Czechmate wrote: I agree, except I refuse to deal with anything newer than WW2-era hardware. No fucking spamnukes or chemicals or super-long-range bombers or whatever.
The problem is that you can make nukes, chemicals, and long-range bombers with WWII-era technology.... :P
Visitor of five museum ships.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

yeah. I know. this is why I would prefer 1812, 1860, or 1900 as a rough point to match in terms of technology.
tiny friendly crab.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, I never thought of the MESS as a brutal, imperialist or warmongering power bloc (not that I am unbiased, of course). We have individual moments but as a group we were never bent on any sort of world destruction or domination.

Hell, I think it was plenty obvious that left to myself and unprovoked, I'm more interested in panty raids and mixed drinks than global domination from secret lairs.

I'd make a horrible Bond villain. :wink:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

MariusRoi wrote:It isn't Shep this time, but the MESS, who have put together a combined alliance that is next to imposable to kill. I'm not saying that Shep sould be more powerful, but that the MESS should be less powerful.
Let's be frank here, the last game got screwed because Shep went batshit and nuked the lot of us, based on false evidence. There was never a plan to attack Shep, and quite frankly, there would have been a vote before such an attack was done.

But no, it went ahead, and the game ended. You think we would allow that sort of nonsense happen again?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I must agree that the MESS is a very unbalancing force - even IF they don't go about Shep/Skim dickeries.

I mean, look at them! A coalition of Tsardom+ nations who've banded up together so they all share the same continent without any opposition: MESSamerica.

The only MESS members that aren't in MESSamerica are Coyote and Loinstar, the latter being Good Neighbors with everyone's favorite madmang.

So, yeah. When you've got a handful of Tsardom+ forming an alliance in a landmass that is solely theirs, yeah. :P

Compare that to the other landmasses - the Old Continent has Super Chechnya AND is next door to Japanistan. Frequesue is Africa. The New Continent is divided between Sheppy-Pooh and Loinstar.

The only problem MESSamerica would have might be Tonkin, but those guys are total shmucks. :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

MESS doesn't outwardly do anything with its' imbalancing force. They're not that interventionist. Beo only helped me cause I turned my country back into a colony of his; the MESS only got involved with the Shep-OD conflict cause Shep attacked and Lonestar invoked Article Three (the "sht gyz halp plz" clause).
tiny friendly crab.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

NO.

Just no. Forcibly stop the war in SDNW 2. That's it.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I agree with Stas. End the damn fucking war, and let's get back to our arms trading, and war of the week.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Czechmate wrote:MESS doesn't outwardly do anything with its' imbalancing force. They're not that interventionist. Beo only helped me cause I turned my country back into a colony of his; the MESS only got involved with the Shep-OD conflict cause Shep attacked and Lonestar invoked Article Three (the "sht gyz halp plz" clause).
I know, I know. But still, it's kind of droll if we've got the whole MESS nations banding together to form a kind of America (MESSamerica!). Skimmer was right about his complaints against "one HUEG powerbloc" and all that.

Hell, it was interesting back in the day when we had the Omsk Pact squaring off against the MESS. Before Shep went crazy and went over to Skim. :P

Maybe we can boost Stas' strength and make him SUPER SOVIET, and he and Byzantium and Shady can start rivaling the MESSamerica. PeZookia and Shroomania, etc. will be like Western Europe in the Cold War, between America and the Ruskies, all whimpering in womanly fear.

Yeah!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Stas Bush wrote:NO.

Just no. Forcibly stop the war in SDNW 2. That's it.
You end it then, fucknuts. YOU. END. IT.

Don't come into a thread intended to set up an alternative, declare NO in big block letters, and then do fuckall about it.
tiny friendly crab.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

You end it then, fucknuts.
I'm not moderating the game, idiot. Fuck off and go play SDN III, if you want. :roll: I'm not going to spend my time again on a failure, I've spent too much to design the C.S.R. as it stands.

Or should I go to war with you, because you seem to be fond of the Shep-MESS war ending the game? :roll: Just to have some fun while it lasted, eh?
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I flat out refuse to participate in a third flawed iteration of the game. Tired enough, and my workload is set to increase after I get back from a business trip.
Kreia
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

So, are you gonna end the war, or are you going to just sit there making pronunciations in every thread while not actually doing shit? Hmm?

The last few days have been tense enough, and you aren't actually helping. At all.
tiny friendly crab.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Czechmate wrote:So, are you gonna end the war, or are you going to just sit there making pronunciations in every thread while not actually doing shit? Hmm?
A Council really needs more than one opinion. I don't think Stas can make decisions without other input.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Karmic Knight wrote:
Czechmate wrote:So, are you gonna end the war, or are you going to just sit there making pronunciations in every thread while not actually doing shit? Hmm?
A Council really needs more than one opinion. I don't think Stas can make decisions without other input.
I've posted my suggestions twice already, once in the regular comment thread and again in the poll. At least look them over and see if there's anything wrong with them.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]