SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the First.

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the First.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

*finishes eating one of Shep's kidneys and then pops in one of his eyeballs as a dessert to be washed down with fine Portuguese Oporto.* Have at it, boys!
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

This was written by Rogue and I. He wanted it to serve as a recap, from his memory, of the last round.

Adams Capital District
Republic of Cascadia

The Adams Capital District was inland of the Seattle-Vancouver Metropolitan area, not too far from the Earth location of Spokane, Washington. The City had sprouted up in the valley of the small Gibbons river, a tributary that flowed south into the mighty Columbia, named after the illustrious founder John Adams and his son John Quincy, exemplars of public service that the Republic held up as an example to all generations since as to what the ideal Cascadian politician should be like.

The center of the city had Republic Park, filled with monuments to the past of the Republic and its greatest citizens, which sat between the three major centers of government; to the east was the Congress Capitol building, to the west the Supreme Court of the Republic, and to the north, the Presidential Mansion. The South Lawn, where most dignitaries arrived, was adorned with wildflowers of the region and green bushes, accompanying a statue of the Sage of Quincy that looked straight at the back windows of the Presidential Office with John Q. Adams' quote, "The cause of all public men is to do their duty.", at the base, also facing the Presidential Office as if a reminder to the office-holder of what was expected of him by the Republic.

Rufus took all of this in as his motorcade wounds it's way to the Presidental Mansion. He smiled. He had seen himself as having this same philosophy, although not all in his home shared it. It was nice to see that there was a group of people who held to these ideals, however.

His motorcade stopped at the entrance to the mansion and Rufus stepped out. Waiting to greet him was a large, older, yet quite distinguished looking gentleman. "President Garrett. How nice to meet you," Rufus said, as he extended his hand.

"President Shinra." Stephen accepted the handshake from his peer happily. "I was curious as to what it'd be like to meet you." Exchanging a handshake with the red-haired and white-jacketed man was an... interesting experience. I distinctly remember enjoying beating up Rufus in that one boss fight from FF7. Though he was pretty badass in Advent Children. "A good son would have known" is still such an awesome line." Out loud, he added, "A lunch has been arranged for us, I hope you enjoy grilled salmon."

"Thank you, President Garrett." Rufus inferred from the formality of the greeting, even in a semi-private encounter such as this, that Steve didn't really know who he was. For all he knows, I could be some damn NPC. "I've heard great things about your salmon. I look forward to it." He followed Garrett as the older man turned and led the way inside.

The dining room was prepared when they arrived. Save for their respective bodyguards it was a thoroughly private lunch in which affairs could be brought up. They ate for a short while before, figuring it was good timing, Stephen remarked, "How has your Senate taken to the proposal for the hydroelectric dam over the Nevada River? I'd hoped our agreement on the division of the power output would pass their scrutiny as it has our Senate."

"I've reviewed it and I like it. And most of the Senators from out west also like your proposal. So I shouldn't have to employ Executive Privilege." He smiled. Such discussions were of course useful and even necessary, but this wasn't why he'd come here. He glanced at the guards briefly, and leaned forward slightly. "I had wondered though, if we might enjoy a bit more privacy? I had really hoped for something of a general Q and A with you." He put just enough emphasis on the letter 'Q' that he hoped President Garrett would catch on.

It did indeed elicit a slightly interested look. "Well, with lunch nearly done we could retire to my office." With that said they did, and rather quickly, finish the meal and head to the Presidential Office, their bodyguards remaining at the door with only some slight persuasion necessary and with Mrs. Rawlings strongly instructed to not allow through any calls, meaning nothing but Redline calls could get through. Being hospitable, Stephen directed President Shinra to a table to the side, motioning to one seat while he took the other. "So, a Q and A session?" He emphasized "Q" as well to show he'd fully gotten the hint.

Rufus smiled. "Yes, Mister President. And might I say, that was a nicer meal than Dennys." His grin grew broader as he saw the realization down across Garrett's face. Looks like he's putting the pieces together.

For a moment the other man just stared. Finally he asked, "Rogue?"

"You got it. Good to see you again. Always nice to have a friend on the border, isn't it?"

"It is an interesting coincidence that you'd be one of my neighbors." A smirk crossed Stephen's face. "I don't suppose I know the ruler of Tian Xia as well? Which MESS member is that?"

"Beowulf is in charge of Tian Xia. And I'm sure you can guess who's running Wilkonia. He wasn't exactly being subtle."

"No, he wasn't." Stephen shook his head. "So we at least know who each other are. I doubt that back home there was a case of so many heads of state being so familiar with each other. Must have its advantages, and I suppose some bad points. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say."

"Yes, although that shouldn't be the case with us, I'd think. Still, it could be to our detriment. I mean, people are probably going to figure we're all plotting against them as some kind of vast conspiracy." Rufus sighed wearily. "You weren't there last time, but the MESS got a lot of that kind of crap. Just because of who we were and the type of countries Q saw fit to give us."

"Last time... Marina told me this was Round 2, though I got left out of the last one for some unknown reason. Though all I know about the last round was that it ended badly apparently due to Shep, which doesn't surprise me in the least."

Rufus nodded. "Pretty much. He went apeshit, apparently thought the MESS was going to first strike him or some nonsense, and launched a massive first strike. Oh sure, we and the FUN got him and Skimmer in the end, but..." He trailed off. "Well, I guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself, aren't I?"

"Somewhat."

"Well, let me start at the beginning. Last time when we did all of this, we were a bunch of islands, not continents as we are now. As I'm sure you know, this would impose certain strategic limitations on all of us. Especially since our militaries were not as well rounded as they are now. For instance, nobody started with any kind of military sealift. At all."

"I can see where that made things difficult. And encouraged air force building."

"And missiles. Lots of missiles. And other things as well. But again, that's getting ahead of ourselves." Rufus paused briefly to collect his thoughts, and his memories. It had been forty years ago, at least to him. "When we started, there was of course the MESS. That's not too surprising, I don't think. Still, it wasn't cohesive. We had mostly a defense pact going and some economics, but little in terms of a real foreign policy. This would come back to bite us.

"In the meantime, the MESS and OMSK were almost always bumping heads with one another. Yes, we were islands, but we were close too. Some things we could agree on, but others were an out-and-out battle. Space travel was one of those issues, chief amongst that the question of airspace and LEO satellites.

"Unfortunately, the MESS' lack of clear direction led to one or two of us butting heads with the OMSK over some issue, and the rest of us getting painted as warmongers by extension. The OMSK really had quite the PR machine."

"I suppose this is why myself from this world sees MESS relations with Tonkin as strained?"

"Well no, not really. We actually had good relations with them for the most part. It was mostly OMSK that we kept running up against. Oh yes, and before I forget: there was also The Bear Republic, an Imperium led by Bear. He was basically isolationist. As was Sea Skimmer, who ran Saddamistan. Basically being a bigger and more paranoid North Korea."

"Which fits Skimmer so well," Stephen remarked humorously.

"At least at the start. There were other nonaligned countries too, though of those only Indhopal, led by Raj Ahten, tended to play a big role.

"The latter was rather remarkable, really, considering he had only a Duchy to play with. And they were quite a bit worse off than our own Duchies today." Rufus smirked at the memories. Yes, Raj had played his hand quite well back then.

"At any rate, eventually we of the MESS got our act together. I managed to put forward some proposals, and even made a speech to the world, that managed to get our relations back into the positive. And the MESS itself changed; we became more organized and with a slightly tighter control. Still sovereign nations, mind you, but we weren't quite as uncoordinated as far as foreign policy went anymore.

"And then Shep tested his first nuke. In a rather spectacular fashion, too. Got a lot of the world, the FUNGAL Axis and LUN especially, in quite the uproar."

At that point Stephen began cackling with amusement. "That's Shep for you. I take it he sparked a nuclear arms race then?"

Rufus grinned. "Not really. By then, the MESS already had nuclear weapons. They were smaller though, mostly meant to be fitted out on aircraft. We'd even released a public statement, stating we had a nuclear command. But all of that seemed to pass the world by. Shep detonating a gigantic bomb, on the other hand, didn't."

"As such things tend to do."

Rufus sighed. "But then we probably made the biggest mistake we could have. The world calmed down from Shep having nukes. As the OMSK said, he would never use them without the alliance's approval, and Stas and Bean were seen as generally stable enough. So we let ourselves think that maybe, just maybe, Shep having The Bomb wasn't quite the disaster it could have been.

"And then there was Terra Libertia."

At that Steve simply shook his head. "Nuclear weapons can have a stablizing influence on most minds. Shep strikes me as an exception, which I figure you've found out the hard way. So, Terra Libertia?"

"Terra Libertia was our third world shithole. Roughly Tsardom sized, but anarchic. No real government. Eventually, at some point, a few distinct factions emerged. But it was always a haven for pirates and other lowlifes.

"As an example, a radical group from PeZookia took over one of their technical schools, and hijacked an airliner. The airliner group landed in Terra Libertia, and it was only after an action by my Rangers that we got them out.

"Later on, another group of hostages were taken, these were police advisors from the MESS, given over to one of our fellow members who was dealing some problems of corruption. They too hid out in Terra Libertia. Lonestar launched an operation to rescue them.

"Unfortunately, Lonestar's operation happened to be in the Islamic sector or TL. And he got himself a Jihad declared against his nation because of it. Shep, having a problem with jihadis on general principle, took it upon himself to 'rectify' the situation.

"We managed to stop his bombing campaign by appealing to OMSK. But then something else happened. Saddamistan decided to wake up. And when he did, he turned his attentions on Terra Libertia."

"I suppose I should put a little backstory on this. Around this time, three distinct factions had risen to power in Terra Libertia. First was the Sultanate, led by Sultan Ibrahim. This was the Islamic sector that declared the Jihad. Second was the Diocese, led by a 'Lord' Ramsley. Because of their religious views, they were allies, of sorts, with Stas and the Red Technocracy. And to a limited extend Byzantium, who was in those days a member of OMSK. Third was Alexandria, led by the 'Iron General' Alexander.

"Prior to Sea Skimmer's actions, Ramsley had appealed to the Red Technocracy, and by extension OMSK, to be their new allies. The MESS saw this as a blatent attempt at a power- and landgrab, and we opposed it fiercely. We basically declared that no military aid would go to Terra Libertia, which would serve to benefit any one of the three factions. And we threatened a naval quarantine if anyone tried."

Stephen handed a glass filled with iced water while nursing his own.

"Thank you." Rufus took a sip, and continued: "This was about the closest we had gotten to war at that point. While no ships actually sailed, rhetoric was fierce. Eventually though, the Red Technocracy backed down. Or so we thought. In reality he snuck in some military advisors and somehow got in limited equipment to the Diocese. But that wasn't what was important. What was important is that the MESS had just committed itself to a policy of no military intervention in Terra Libertia."

"An action that clearly has some severe consequences.

"Yes, though at the time we didn't know how severe." He took another sip of his water. "Sometime during all of this, or even before or after, I'm not sure now, the FUNGAL Axis and LUN merged to become the Fungal Union of Nations, or FUN. Not hugely important just yet, but they'll come into play later.

"It was shortly after this that Sea Skimmer, for reasons unknown to us at the time, launched a massive airstrike against the Sultanate territory. He released some press statement on an 'attack' against his patrol boats, but despite repeated requests from the MESS, OMSK, and FUN, he never bothered to give any proof of his claims.

"I later found out, during a private meeting with Bean, that he was, apparently on accident, the cause of this. As apparently one of his diplomats, in an attempt to open relations with Saddamistan and Skimmer, apparently released some information that a political opponent of Skimmer's was in the Sultanate and attempting to organize a revolutionary force. To this day we really don't know the veracity of that, but it was apparently enough to get Skimmer to go off like that.

"At any rate, the MESS then stationed six carriers in the waters near Saddamistan and Terra Libertia and began flying BARCAPs to prevent further strikes. We also decided, at least some of us, to give official recognition to the three factions as actual countries, thus an attack against them would be an attack against a sovereign nation. Not everyone in the MESS followed suit, but there were those in the OMSK and FUN who did.

"We actually got some respect out of Stas for that. And we had broad international support. We kept asking Skimmer to talk to us, but he just kept silent. And so we kept in a stalemate. And then, all of a sudden, the OMSK pulled back, leaving the MESS and FUN out to dry.

"The reasons for this were kept secret from the rest of us, and needless to say we were not amused. Bean would later call a meeting, where we held a referendum on Terra Libertia and what to do about it. That was when I got some answers regarding what had happened. Bean had been trying to 'de-escalate' the situation, but he did so piecemeal without even giving so much as a hint to the rest of us of his intentions.

"Unfortunately, this meeting quickly fell apart. Saddamistan didn't attend, and there was no real consensus as to what to do with Terra Libertia. And so it broke up, and we continued our uneasy standoff between the MESS, Saddamistan, and Terra Libertia.

"It was in this environment that Shep finally decided he would deal with the jihadis. And so he assembled a large convoy of armored vehicles and tanks, loaded them up, and put them under the protection of a large flotilla, and sailed for the Diocese and Alexandria. The intent was obvious: he would give them the tools to wipe out the Sultanate."

"Typical Shep. He's never been one for restraint."

"Tonkin, looking to make a profit as usual, also saw this as a chance to sell some arms to Alexandria. They had already struck a deal with Alexander to mine resources from the mountain ranges in his territory. And now they were going to go with Shep to deliver weapons to Alexandria, in the face of the MESS naval forces still in the area. This would, by the way, be the start of a series of actions for which relations between certain members of the MESS and the IRT would start to seriously cool."

"We appealed to the OMSK to reign Shep in, but this time they simply couldn't. They were simply too weak by now. Their Security Council, the ruling body of the OMSK, apparently didn't have the clout to get Shep to back down. Byzantium, at the time an OMSK member, had grown fed up with the others and, feeling the MESS better represented their interests, Heraclius broke from the OMSK and joined us. Shep himself also broke with OMSK. He was deadset on delivering those weapons. Stas and the Red Technocracy would also leave, fed up with all of the secrets and infighting from his former allies. Bean, the last of the SC members, finally dissolved OMSK altogether.

"In short, Shep's arrogance and lack of restraint destroyed the OMSK."

There was more chuckling from Stephen. "Yes, Shep has that way with people. I presume things only got worse from there."

"Yes, they did. Now sailing alone straight into a MESS fleet, he decided to ally himself with Skimmer, and become the Unified Atomic Republic. It was now that our worst fears were starting to come true, and we started looking for a way, any way, to try and avoid a war with the new UAR, while also trying to prevent Shep from starting his own genocide against the Sultanate."

"Well, we managed it, or so we thought. Byzantium, being home to the Orthodox faith, managed to put pressure on Ramsley to refuse the weapons Shep was bringing. And so he diverted all of it to Alexandria. Well, through the embassy I had established there, we worked out a deal; the simple truth was, military aid had already gotten there. That genie was out of the bottle. So we would allow Alexander to keep a portion of the equipment, and the rest we would take out and hold for him, in a process of gradually up-kitting his forces. He agreed, and we breathed a sigh of relief. We'd let the UAR convoy pass and offload, and then we'd take some of those weapons.

"We thought we'd managed to avoid a war. We thought wrong."

"I take it this was when you were set on the road to ruining your last world? Or rather having Shep ruin it, he and Skimmer are the only ones I can imagine capable of causing a nuclear holocaust," Stephen noted wryly.

"This was the start of that road, yes, though we had a ways to go yet. I was the one tasked to take the arms away, since my nation was closest, and to do so I organized Task Force Twenty-three. It was eight of my merchant ships guarded by four frigates; one of them was almost brand new, the others were older.

"To this day I'm not fully sure how, but apparently Shep managed to find them. I'm assuming, since it was only one bomber that fired, he sent out various recon flights. For whatever reason, we were lucky it was only the one bomber, as he fired a full salvo of nuclear-tipped cruise missiles at the convoy."

"We were lucky, in that the new frigate's air defense suite was rather capable. Had it been only the older ships..." Rufus paused for a moment, visibly changing tracks. "But that's not important now. The important thing is, the convoy survived. They shot down the incoming missiles. However, Shep had some salvage fuses on them, and the convoy was heavily damaged. Naturally, when word reached us, it was, as the saying goes, 'the shot heard 'round the world'."

Rufus leaned back, his focus on a time and place far from his present surroundings. "Lonestar wanted to initiate a full counter-strike then and there. But I stopped him. I sometimes wonder if it might have been better to have let him go..." He shook his head and seemed to come back to the present. "But I could spend all day on 'what-ifs', couldn't I?" he grinned ruefully.

"We all could," was Stephen's answer. "The... 'me' from this world has quite a few more than the me you know, of course."

"Indeed. At any rate, we went into a near war. There was some minor skirmishing between Shep and Canissia, and everyone was on high alert. There was also the Neverhood; a former OMSK vassal that was administered by Shep. When he went rogue they asked for MESS protection. It was split between East and West and the border regions saw skirmishing during this time as well, what Shroom called the 'Nuclear New Year's Nightmare' because of when it occured.

"Eventually though, Bean called a conference. We thought this could finally secure some peace as, amazingly, Saddamistan was sending representitives! Most of the world attended, but I stayed home. I didn't fully trust Bean at the time, because of his earlier orchestration of the OMSK pullout. It turns out, I was probably more right than I realized.

"When the conference began, we had a series of demands for the UAR and Shep in particular. And, amazingly enough, he was largely agreeing to them! It seemed that we might just avoid a war and restore some semblence of normalcy to the world. But then Bean's 'ultimatum' happened.

"He swept in and told of Shep flat out he was ousted as leader of his country, threatening to unleash some orbital artillery if he resisted, a 'Rods from God' system he had secretly developed and deployed under OMSK. You see, he had secretly engineered a coup with Shep's Vice President. When Shep wouldn't go quietly...Bean executed him. Took a gun and blew Shep's brains out, right in front of the world's leaders and globally televised to boot."

"Rather theatrical and fairly criminal of him, even if fitting since I can see Shep as doing the same thing if he pleased."

"Yes, and reaction varied from quiet acceptance of what he did and outright anger and shock. One man, I forget who now, actually stood and applauded Bean, though he later retracted that it seemed. In any case, a civil war broke out in Shepnukistan, led by some army commander from the East Neverhood occupation forces. Saddamistan was told blankly by Bean to 'not be threat, or else' and he went back to being isolationist. Although I'm sure Bean's stunt quashed any hope we had of ever engaging Saddamistan diplomatically. Sea Skimmer's paranoid view of the world was doubtless confirmed by these events, even if the rest of the world was as shocked as he was."

"But clearly something happened if Shep was around to ruin things later. Q intervened I take it?"

"Possibly. It turned out that, supposedly, he wasn't there, but it was a body double. Whether that was true, a lie, or Q-magic, I do not know. But with his apparent 'survival' the civil war ended, although he lost a piece of his territory to his Vice President, a man named Garner."

"But this where the downward spiral began. Shep, or whoever it was, decided to go full out on nothing more than newer, faster, bigger delivery systems for his nuclear weapons. Apparently he and Sea Skimmer also got back together and the UAR reformed. Those two became the nuclear bullies on the block."

"Playing a game of brinksmanship, save they didn't care if it went over the brink."

"Quite. There were a number of incidents, but the biggest one involved a recon flight from Shepnukistan flying between the Diocese and Alexandria. The Terra Libertian nations were, for the most part, nations. The Diocese was backed by Byzantium, and Alexandria largely by Tonkin. Phong, for his part, was getting rather cozy with the UAR and was hardly being a good global citizen. The nuclear test he conducted in the Central Sea, amongst many of the FUN members, was an indication of that. And also a reason, I should point out, that many members of the MESS now view him with something less than total enthusiasm."

"At any rate, the incident of which I speak of was a UAR recon plane that was shot down by a Diocese SAM battery, flying in a border zone. These border zones were not nice and clear like ours, of course. Still, we never did learn why, exactly, that SAM crew fired. Because Shep retaliated: by a nuclear strike against the SAM site, which just-so-happened to utterly ravage the city it was based near."

Steve shook his head quietly at that. Nothing need be said, though the thought in his mind was That man really is a sociopath!.

"Needless to say, it was at this point we all came to conclude that Shep, or whoever was running his country, had lost any and all pretenses at being even remotely sane or rational. That is when we knew, we knew that sooner or later it would come to a nuclear war. The only question was who would shoot first. That is when the MESS, and I later learned even the FUN as well, started quietly developing the plans to wipe out him and, potentially, Skimmer as well in a massive strike.

"And here is where it got tricky. You see, the MESS had never planned for any real 'first-strike'. Oh yes, it would be all-out with the goal of knocking him out as soon as possible, but we would not shoot first. We accepted the fact that, sooner or later, he would do something that would merit a full response.

"But that's not the way it happened. He launched the first-strike against us. Oh I'm sure he's somehow tried to justify it to himself, but the simple fact is, he shot the first missiles, not us. Later on, much later, some UAR general that survived mentioned they had struck in response to 'intelligence' that the MESS was not only planning a first-strike, but we actually had a date set. Funny though, how not a single one of our commands had any such plan.

"This general went on to state that this intelligence of theirs," Rufus practicaly spat out the word as a dirty curse, "was some spy they had in Lonestar's military who overhead some generals or whatever discussing the possibility of such an attack in the damn hallway, not even a formal briefing or planning session. This, apparently, was good enough for Shep to decide he needed to launch a full first-strike right then and there." Rufus made clear with the tone of his voice what he thought of that particular decision-making process.

"Asking Shep not to use a nuclear arsenal would be akin to asking a spoiled child not to eat the cookies you just put in front of him."

"Yes, I'm afraid you're right. In any event, so went our nuclear war. Even though the FUN was not directly targeted, Stas and the Red Technocracy, who joined the FUN when OMSK dissolved and was their only nuclear power, launched against Shep. It made a certain amount of sense, really, since if Shep survived it was only a matter of time before he turned against the FUN. Might as well kick-in when you have allies who are going to be doing the shooting with you, right?"

"The Red Tech's bombs had something of a twist. They were dirty cobalt devices, meant to render the land uninhabited. Alas, due to geography and wind currents, they also destroyed some of the IRT's land, which made Phong rather unhappy. So he too launched nuclear strikes against the FUN.

"Long story short, Shep and Skimmer's nations were essentially destroyed, the IRT got hit hard as well, and there were varying degrees of damage between the MESS and FUN. Some small duchies were basically wiped out. Larger nations got off better or worse, depending on where they happened to be located.

"And then we went on for another forty years, trying to rebuild. We basically got the world more-or-less back on track...and now here we are in a new world. I have no idea what became of the old one, or the people of it."

"I would imagine so. Of course whether the little groups of maniacs honor that...we'll see. I suppose that's one reason why Skimmer has a whole bunch of unrest in his occupied zone, and Shep is fairly isolated, low-tech, and in direct opposition to Lonestar and, by extension, us. That should hopefully preclude them getting any kind of strategic systems. At least of the sort that can threaten the whole planet again.

"Whether that hold true is anyone's guess."

"That it is." Drawing in a sigh, Stephen looked out the window. "Tell me... is there a Rufus Shinra inside there that isn't, well, you, Rogue? With thoughts and memories all his own that you can still feel?"
Rufus sat back and considered. It was a difficult question. "Yes, there is. The fact that I'm 23 sort of limits, but I know my father, Vincent. I know what I did before assuming my Presidency. But it's difficult to sort it all out. I have over forty years of the 'other' history bouncing inside my head too, after all." Rufus let out a long sigh. "I hardly even know what is 'me' anymore. The 'me' that existed before this game? The 'me' that existed from the old game? The 'me' that was filling in before I got here? Who the hell is me?"

Rufus slumped into his chair. "Sorry for the outburst. I suppose, in time, my mind will reconcile itself with all of this. But right now, it's all just...so much."

"You have it worse than me thanks to the old game, I'm sure. For me it's still somewhat new. I mean, I have two lives in my head now and the longer life is the one that seems... suppressed. I can access that part when I need to, so I don't seem different from before..." Stephen sighed. "My God, I'm married, Rogue. with children from it. To a woman that I know intimately but still feel as if I don't know at all."

Rufus smiled sadly. "You know, I have the opposite problem. I was married, from the last game. But she was someone of that world, who didn't follow me over. I was married for nearly forty years, and now it's as if she...doesn't exist." He looked down at the floor, and continued much more quietly, "She was from PeZookia. She worked for King Paul. I know that members of my staff are here, but with no memories of the old world, and new lives." He took a slow sip of his water, his voice almost a whisper. "I'm almost afraid of meeting with Paul now. What if she's there? She won't remember me, but I remember her, all too well." He looked at Steve, an emptiness in his eyes. "What am I supposed to do? How will I handle it? I just...I just don't know."

"My God..." At that Stephen shook his head. "Wish I had an answer for you, Rogue. I really do."

Visibly composing himself, Rufus forced another smile. "There's only one answer, I'm afraid. And that's to just go on, and cross that bridge when I get to it." He finished off his water, rose and extended his hand. "I'm glad we had this talk, Steve. I would most certainly like to return the favor in Midgar soon. But the business of state never waits, as I'm sure you know. I have to get going to Canissia."

"Ah, I'd heard a MESS summit was in the works." Stephen smiled slightly. "Give my regards to the others, at least as much as you can given that publicly my nation has made its independence from your alliance very clear. Tell them I asked you to quote me as referring to Benjamin Franklin's warning to the Continental Congress. 'We must all hang together or we will all hang seperately.'"

"I will be happy to do so." The two leaders shook hands, and walked out of the office. Rufus to his motorcade and then on to Canissia, Stephen to resume the work of a head of state.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Line of Control, Alleghenies

"Fucking A," Colonel R.W. Joy said. "I could have sworn I was in San Antonio this morning, getting the best sun tan in existence."

"What was that sir?" His aide asked. Joy waved it aside.

"Don't worry about it. What do we have?"

They were sitting in a bunker on Mosby Ridge, about 2 mountains inside the Old Dominion border. Less then 10 miles West lay Shepistan. His aide handed him a folder with an orange cover.

"Message from BMI Sir."

Joy took it.

+++TOP SECRET/SI/NOFORN/CHEX MIX+++
TO: SECTOR COMMANDERS, LINE OF CONTROL

SUBJECT:KANAWHA CONFLICT, SHEPISTANI INTENTIONS.

SHEPISTAN PREPARING TO MOUNT MAJOR OFFENSIVE INTO KANAWHA TRIBAL AREA. RECON REPORTS SEVERAL ARMORED AND MECHANIZED FORMATIONS ARE ATTEMPTING TO ASSERT CONTROL IN THE BLUE RIDGE MOUNTAINS. BMI SPECULATES THIS MAY BE A PRELUDE TO A MAJOR INCURSION INTO OLD DOMINION TERRITORY THROUGH KANAWHA TRIBAL REGION. DEMONSTRATIONS UNDERWAY AGAINST KANAWHA TRIBES IN OLD DOMINION TERRITORY TO PRECLUDE THIS.

ALL SECTOR COMMANDERS ARE TO BE ADVISED THAT THE SHEPISTANI MILITARY HAS NOT, REPEAT, NOT TAKEN ANY OTHER UNUSUAL ACTION BESIDES AGAINST THE KANAWHA TRIBES. A HIGH LEVEL OF READINESS IS EXPECTED, HOWEVER.

+++TOP SECRET/SI/NOFORN/CHEX MIX+++

Colonel Joy put the brief down.

"Jumping right into it...wonderful Fucking wonderful. Call all the Battalion heads, I want us to escalate to THREATCON BRAVO."

"Yessir."
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Near the Disputed Territories, Shepistan

The men of the Shepistani Special Republican Guard (SRG) swarmed over the TEL, reading the six and a half ton missile for launch. The Air Force was already well into the business of bombing the rebellious tribes in the disputed territories; and the SRG wanted in onto the fun as well.

They'd located the village that the rebel leader Al-Nitrami was staying in, and a quick reaction precision strike was needed...and the SRG could deliver that...

Slowly, the 40 foot long missile was erected into launch position and the target coordinates laid in.

Colonel Rasheed snorted, remembering the instructions that had come down from the General -- no use of chemical weapons; that had meant laborous hours for his men in unloading the warhead full of C202 Agent and uploading a one ton explosive warhead instead.

Fifteen Minutes Later - Willamsburg Community College, Old Dominion

Inside the Community Center, an antique roadshow was going on, and thousands were packed into the exhibition hall; making an ideal target for when the Shepistani IRBM slammed into the hall, and it's warhead detonated a split second after impact with the roof; allowing the explosives to cause maximum damage inside the hall.

The SS-[placeholder] series of IRBMs had been bought from Japanistan originally in the mid 1980s and been refurbished over the intervening twenty years by Shepistani designed components. Chief among this was a new inertial guidance system built by North Shepistani Aviation. In tests on the Alleghany firing ranges, missiles modified with the new guidance system had shown passable accuracy.

However, this was the first time the system had been fired in combat against a target not within a firing range; and as the missile travelled on it's deadly path; the inertial navigation system slowly drifted off couse, resulting in a truly monumentous overshoot that would have made the designers of the Snark proud....
Last edited by MKSheppard on 2008-08-23 12:46am, edited 1 time in total.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Imperial Chronicles

Heraclius and his adviser, Basilleus, and his military chief of staff, Admiral Belisari, sat in the meeting room aboard his personal BAM Airbus A380I aircraft. There was of course the other An-225 command and control aircraft, but the A380I will be for standard diplomatic duties. The aircraft was anyway more than specious enough, and was sufficiently equipped for military duties as well.

"Well sire, I personally recommend that our air forces, navy and army air defences get the bulk of the funding for the next year. Our principle threat will be via the air at the moment."

"I understand the navy wishes to replace the remaining CV IBNS Heraclius."

"Yes sire, the navy wishes some measure of power projection and endurance. On the cards as well are navy vessels tasked with anti-air patrol, which means a few more Stalwart class frigates (F-100) and Belisarius class cruisers, Basil II class cruisers."

"That's quite a tall list, and will preoccupy the budget the next few years. Doesn't the Army want to replace all the T-80UMs in the reserves?"

"General Nelphos wanted to, but I talked him out of it. The T-80UMs have been constantly upgraded with excellent electronics and the latest ERA we developed over the last few years. We still have plenty of stocks of 125mm ammunition anyhow that need to be spent anyhow. No sense wasting it."

"And the Air Force?"

"The Air Force is requesting that we buy more F-22As from our allies, and they are somewhat interested in the F-35C aircraft."

"The F-35C isn't exactly the best available, and we have our own production line of Typhoon Tranche 3 here."

"That was what I told General Golovko and he agreed grudgingly that the Typhoons would be more than sufficient for the time being. The Navy and Air Force would like an enhanced version of the F-14F some of our allies are working on."

"I'll talk to Beowulf when I meet him. In the mean time, all I am allowing, is 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, 2 frigates, and 2 corvettes a year. No more, no less. Can't have the shipyards do nothing but handle military contracts. The cruisers can wait. We have more than enough of them in my opinion, and the carrier is authorised. You may begin construction. The Air Force will have to wait for its F-22s pending talks with Tian Xia. As for the SAMs, I'll think about it. I understand Constantinople shipping wants to expand its mercantile fleet and that will keep the shipyards quite busy."
Last edited by Fingolfin_Noldor on 2008-08-24 01:37am, edited 1 time in total.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Dominion One, en route to Canissa

“How many?” Lonestar whispered. The aide glanced back down at the message.

“Initial estimates say between 200-300 killed.”

Lonestar stood up and walked around the small office. He put his hands on his hips and took a few deep breaths.

“Why didn’t our air defenses catch it?”

“Uh, no word yet sir…”

Lonestar leaned up against the Bulkhead of the VC-25.

“Any idea why they did this?”

“No sir.”

He’s testing me, seeing how I will react. Lonestar thought. It’s a whole different ballgame when we’re right next to each other…

“Mr. Peters…”

“Sir.”

“We are going to respond with the Legendary Old Dominion subtly and tact…”

The woods near Burke Lake, near the Potomac River, the border between the Old Dominion and Shepistan

“Goddamn.” The Major said, looking down at the message. “These coordinates?”

“There a problem, Major?” The General on the other end said.

Oh, Hell yes. Firing at military targets in the hills is one thing. Targets within Annapolis?. “No sir.”

“Then get to it.”

The M270 Launcher angled and moved to an angle farther Northwest. The two ATACMS launched.

Annapolis

“SWAMI! Git yer SWAMI!” The street vender cried. He was just killing time, waiting for the swarm of civil servants to come ambling out of the Shepistani Widow’s and Orphans Administration for lunch. Then he heard a rumbling sound, and an explosion. He glanced towards the Southern side of the city, smoke was billowing from the Ministry of Hydroelectric Power. Civilians started to run this way and that.

He glanced up. He caught a look at the second ATACMs as it split apart, the separate munitions crashing into the W&O Administration building.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Command Bunker Under Army House

"So, you're saying our missile overshot it's target by several hundred miles; despite this being one of our most precise weapons, after that so called upgrade by North Shepistani?" asked Shep, disbelief in his voice.

"Uh, yes sir," replied the Colonel who had come to tell him the bad news.

"Fuck. I want that design team found and sent to Japanistan for re-education."

"Yessir."

"So Lonestar thinks he's going to fuck with me now? Hitting targets directly in my own capital? If he thinks i'll back down after that, he's got something coming."

"I want Plan BLACK executed. Conventionals, not Special Weapons."

"Sir, you realize that will delay the launches by several hours, sir."

"Yes, I do. The longer this stays conventional, the less chance the MESS is likely to intervene."

LATER THAT NIGHT

The night sky near the Shepistan Boarder lit up as dozens of IRBMs lifted off, bound for strategic targets within the Old Dominion's cities.

The War of the Cities was underway.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Seaside Palace, Canissia

"Yes, I'm watching it now," King Arik Coyotus-I said as he leaned back in his plush leather chair, put his loafer'd feet up on his mahogany desk, and puffed away at a cigar that was almost as good as Cuban. He took the TV remote and put the volume on the plasma-screen down to a more manageable level, but kept CNN --Canissian Network News-- on. Scenes of destruction in Shepistan, Old Dominion, and the Kanawha territories were being played and replayed.

"Yeah," Arik said, watching the fires and destruction, "Those two are at it again, them and some... Big Kahuna faction or some damnfool thing. Well, it'll give us something to talk about when everyone gets here. Wilkins coming? Ahh, you don't know..." He paused while Rufus-- calling from his airplane-- tuned ot the same channel. CNN was on satellite feed, trying to be THE source for news worldwide.

"Well, I'll call Heraclius. Let's get this started. Sooner the better... alright... Later, dude." He put away the phone and shook his head at the TV.

"Like old times, man," he said, and reached for a bottle of brandy.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Fake News, With Mark Price

Announcer (King Brandon – Voice Over): Live, from an undisclosed location in the Vinish Wilderness, this is Fake News, with Mark Price...

Cue: theme song.

Mark Price: Welcome to tonight’s show, we have a lot to get to, so let’s start with the big thing on the news networks today,

Cue: Clip 1 (Male Reporter: FNN-VD – Frequesue News Network - Vinish Division): King Brandon is going to be answering some tough questions later today in the Senate…

Cue: Clip 2 (Female Reporter: VNS – Vinish News Service): Scandal Rocks the King’s Court…

Mark: Whoa, you know that last one really makes it look bad for the King. I mean, all this is a simple Justification hearing. These happen all the time, sure not every time the King is involved, but this isn’t that unordinary. I mean, we had a Justification hearing just last month on the new Nuclear Energy Plan, outlined by Energy Minister Martin Eiger; the plan was defended by Minister Eiger himself. Hell, yesterday Trade Minister Jon Oliver was defending the decision to upgrade to digital cargo manifests on military vessels. So, of course, the news tells that this is just an everyday thing, right?

Cue: Clip 3: (Male Reporter: VNS – Vinish News Service): Now, this is one of the rarest things to happen, that is, the King speaking to the Senate live and in person.”

Mark: ::Out of his seat, fallen over his desk:: What? Am I hearing the Media right? Did that guy just tell us that our King doesn’t talk to the Senate, well, that has to be right, I mean it isn’t like there is a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Cue: Clips 4: (Compilation of Addresses Given by the King to the Senate)

Mark: Oh, the Senate wasn’t in the same room as the King, I tell you.

Cue: Clip: (King Brandon: Any Questions?
Senator/Prime Minister Von Earles (A few feet in front of the King): Yes, I have one)

Mark: Damn. You win this time, evidence. But, there must be something else happening in our lovely country.

Cue: Clip 5: (Compilation of Clips Talking about the King’s Senate Justification Meeting)

Mark: Or Maybe Abroad?

Cue Clip 6: (Compilation of Clips Talking about the King’s Senate Justification Meeting)

Mark: Nothing about Old Dominion/Shepistani warfare? Apparently not, but wait, maybe…

Cue: Clip 6 – 1: (Bob Backwell Monarchist Pundit: We must stop this menace attacking our streets, our homes, our families.)

Mark: ::Shocked Expression:: What could it be?

Cue: Clip 6 – 2: (Backwell: These vermin attack everything in sight with no remorse or even care for our safety or our freedoms.)

Mark: Vermin? Does the good reporter mean some kind of small creature that is attacking our crops!?! Well, Mr. Backwell, you’ve piqued my interest, what is the vermin attacking our homes?

Cue: Clip 6 – 3: (Backwell: The Eutopians...)

Mark: ::Spits up water:: Did he just call our neighbors to the West, Vermin. Mr. Backwell, you must have a forceful argument for that point.

Cue: 6 – 4: (Backwell: … They attack the Vinish way of thought

Mark (Voice-Over): By having a semi stable democracy.

Backwell: We have never been able to cooperate with their vile military, or with their people.

Mark: So true, especially when we helped Federal-President Marx in 1980 by militarily assisting him into office.

Backwell: We must stand against this menace in our streets, and against a king who wants them to take away not only your job, but also your life.

Mark: that is a little sensationalist, especially when you consider that King Brandon has made strives to secure the Mountains to the South.

Cue: Clip Ends, cut to Mark:

Mark (On Screen): After all that, Brandon just gave an opening speech about international unity, and helping people, and passed the defending to some lawyers. He then boarded a plane toward San Dorado. We will be right back with more news, that isn’t really news, after this. ::Taps the desk with his right hand, and proceeds to point at camera B::

Cue: Break.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

D.N.S. Opechancanough, Chesapeake Bay

"VAMPIRE VAMPIRE! 36 BALLISTIC MISSILES TRACKED!" The EW shouted. "20 ARE HEADING TOWARDS WILLIAMSBURG, THE REST SPLIT BETWEEN RICHMOND AND FREDERICKSBURG."

"Target and shoot 'em down!" the TAO shouted. SM-2ERs and SM-3s began to exit the CG. On land, PAC-3 and THAAD batteries were also responding, but not quickly enough. Within minutes 7 crashed into Williamsburg(5 others in the countryside outside of it), 3 in Richmond, and 10 in Fredericksburg.

+++WTOP BREAKING NEWS+++

"We interrupt this broadcast to bring you this special bulletin, it appears the Shepistan has launched several missiles at Dominion population centers. In Frdericksburg, 2 of the missiles hit commercial gasoline storage tanks, the resulting explosion taking out several city blocks. We...hold on." *Anchorwoman pauses* "Are you sure? Is this accurate information? Okay..." *looks stunned* "It seems that at least one of the missiles that hit Richmond was carrying a chemical agent, a Mustard Gas or a derivative of it...."

Along the line of control
14 ATACMS lifted off from their hidden launchers, heading towards targets in Annapolis. Most got through, aiming for government buildings and the Naval Academy.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Imperial Chronicles

Heraclius was on the phone with King Arik. His adviser and chief of staff in the same room. "Yes, I saw it on my own local news channel, Veritas News, and I am on my way. Should be there in a few hours. Maybe I ought to take the train next time.

And yeah, I will bring the usual supply of Byzantine wines and saffron. Should be a sufficient lubricant for conversations. We'll talk about the war when I get there."

Putting down the phone, the Emperor grumbled, "Never a dull moment."

"Shepistan remains quite a threat sire."

"Indeed, and we should consider more Tu-160s and buy more hypersonic missiles and more. I take it that there is a modernization program underway for those aircraft."

"Yes sire, we are thinking of reinforcing the airframe and throwing in some engines that allow better speeds. Not by much, but should help. That and we think we can either procure or design our own hypersonic missiles."

"How about the Tu-142?"

"The aircraft has been modernized and is similar to the P-8 aircraft. Of course, ours carts around supersonic missiles."
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Despite the shooting of one officer for incompetence in not offloading his chemical warhead; the Rocket Battalions of the SRG continued their task of volleying off missiles towards the Old Dominion.

Forty were in the second wave; aimed primarily this time at various C3I sites, as well as several symbolically being aimed at the Old Dominion's Naval Academy in Elizabeth City in retalitation for the destruction of the Plebe Barracks at the Shepistani Academy...

Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Sabika forests

The large group of militants hiking through the jungle were ostensibly keeping a lookout for Coilerburg soldiers or aircraft. In reality, they were smoking, talking with each other, and doing just about anything but keeping a lookout for Coilerburg soldiers or aircraft. The militants were simply young men with guns, and it was little wonder that discipline would slacken.

The people who were watching them didn't slacken in their discipline. They were the RATs, the very best soldiers that Coilerburg made. Their harsh training was done specifically so that they would not do what the militants were doing at the moment. Never let your guard down in war. The RATs knew that truth more than anyone. The young idiots didn't, and they would soon be taught the hard way.

RAT Team 4 had set up a classical ambush. The moment the Sabikan fighters stepped into the designated killing zone, they would be mowed down by accurate fire. And they were stepping into the killing zone-now.

Shots rang out at the surprised militants. Some were dead before they knew what hit them. Others panicked and fired wildly towards the sound of the gunshots, not coming even close to hitting any of the RATs. Others tried to flee into the brush. None succeeded.

In lessy than a minute it was all over. The ambush had worked perfectly, and the RATs were moving away, leaving the area as fast as they could before more militants came to investigate the noise. Small actions like this were a normal part of life in Frequesue, and this differed only in its rare flawless execution.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

VNS Reports

“Our Reporter in the Shepistani Capital has the Story.”

“Thank you Ron, as the viewers at home may know, a low level of warfare exists between the Shepistanis and the Old Dominion; this war went all out today, as you can see behind me, the Old Dominion has assaulted the Shepistani Capital, destroying many buildings with Rocket strikes from near the city. With me I have a Shepistani Citizen,” the introduction of the startled Shepistani and the translator caused a look of worry to flash over the Shepistani’s face, “Now, what happened in the strike by the Old Dominion?”

The Translator quickly translated both of the phrases, “The Old Dominion attacked that building, the Widow’s and Orphans Administration Building, causing the death of all of those people, working hard to help the Shepistanis. The Old Dominion are to blame for this.”

“Thank You, now, I would like to show you this slideshow of those affected by the Old Dominion Strikes on Shepistan.” The Reporter began playing a series of images of Shepistani orphans who were hurt in the blasts. “And now, back to you in the studio.”

“Thank you for that report, our prayers go out to the Shepistanis who were hurt in the attacks.”

Unmarked Vinish Jet – Airspace over Duchy of Baerne.

Brandon ceased watching VNS, changing to CNN for a quick look at the international news before diving into his intelligence reports he was getting during his goodwill trip. He had learned that the reports his VNS was making were far from accurate, the OD had been hit by a missile strike and retaliated. Why they had to retaliate by hitting a target in the Capital, Brandon would never know, but he did know that the RIS agent in the OD was safe, which was good news. That was the good thing about having the RISC onboard, he always had information first.

His goodwill trip was running smoothly, as he had turned his move to San Dorado for the Conference into a goodwill trip across Frequesue, he was still having trouble pronouncing that fucking name, after he learned that the date hadn’t really been set for the conference. He had visited both the capital of the Federated Republic of Eutopia, and the Capital of the Duchy of Baerne, being unable to meet with the leaders of either country, but he was now on to his main attraction, the Wondrous, Imperial Estates of Westchester, where he hoped to have a short meet and greet with the leader of that neighbouring country, he was then scheduled to make a stopover in the PRSF (People's Republic of South Freresque) his neighbour. He hoped to ease the tensions brewing on his border, somehow. Brandon looked again at the report of armed conflict between the neighbours, yes, he definitely wanted that to stop.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Super Mega New Tokyo
The Imperial Palace

“His imperial majesty’s most honorable signature on the authorizations package and the expansion section is all that is required.” said Special Field Marshal Suchiidetsu Ichiro, defacto dictator of Japanistan.

“I do not believe that the late Baron Tanaka wrote this document with such details,” spoke the sitting Emperor of Japanistan in a low voice. “You will provide me with the real memorial, Special Field Marshal.” The Emperor pushed back a thick bound set of papers on the table before him. The small tea room was completely empty aside from the two.

“The true Tanaka Memorial was destroyed by my hand, and the ashes scattered to the wind,” replied Ichiro. “We have no further time to waste on tattered recounting of an old mind!”
The Emperor was taken aback by the insult to the Baron, a man of great reverence to the royal family, but maintained his composure; forty five years, thirty of them on a the divine throne had taught him the tightest self control.

“Then what is this?” the Emperor asked, examining the document once more. “You’re twisted thoughts of a plan?”

“This is the true will of the National Sunshine Council, our plan to prepare nation and spirit for the coming times in totality. We have drafted and redrafted, and you will find no dissent in our final decision.” Ichiro paused for a moment, before producing a small folder, in which was a single page, covered in characters written in human blood.

“Signed by all members of the National Sunshine Council in my support.” He said. “If his imperial majesty has lost faith in my appointment as Head of Council, then he need only ask for my Seppuku.”

Many times the Emperor had considered the Head of Council, Suchiidetsu Ichiro had held the position for far longer then any other among the handful to hold it. His words could not be trusted, but for over twenty years his predictions and guidance had seen Japanistan prosper, and the loyalty of the people rebound ten fold. He would continue in his duties, for now.

“Special Field Marshal Suchiidetsu Ichiro,” said the Emperor, “I approve the Tanaka Memorial.” He slowly and deliberately signed it with the neatest of characters. “You may now leave his Imperial Majesties audience.”

It was going to be a wonderful day thought Ichiro, their would still even be time enough to get the aircraft in air before nightfall, making for all the better for photo opportunities.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

"Sir, I have Comrade Stas on the line."-The young assistant said.

"Excellent, patch him through"-Shady said, "Stas dearest of all my friends...How have you been?"

"It's been a strange couple of days but I'm getting things in order."-Stas said, "I've had problems with Q but I think things should be all right now."

"Indeed, the transition is hard to say the least."-Shady said, "The reason I am calling you is because I believe that we need to consolidate our goals as soon as possible. I believe a meeting of the FUN leadership will happen soon and I would like you to be there... and yes before you say anything I know you are not in the FUN any more, but it gives us an excellent opportunity to have an SNC meeting afterwords."

"I see, well we would have to have an SNC meeting anyhow...so yes I will be there."-Stas said, "If for nothing else then just for the chance to see old friends."

"I am glad we could agree. Until our meeting then, I leave you to your work."-Shady said, "Goodbye."

"See you there."-Stas said and the conversation was over.

"We must bring things in order soon."-Shady thought, "The FUN is a mere shadow of it's former self but I believe we can change that."

Shady pressed the intercom button and said, "Tanya please contact King Paul and Prime Minister Shroom, tell them we must talk, soon."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Farbanti, Shroomania
Parliament

Farbanti was a coastal city, and it had rivers that flowed from the mainland out to the Atlantic. There were three rivers that divided Farbanti itself, and through these rivers, one could go to many parts of the city - including Parliament, the center of the Sovereignty's political power.

The particular river that led to the Parliament building was not a direct route though, as there was a diversion in the waterway, and a gateway in the form of a bridge. After the bridge, the waterway narrowed down, and as it narrowed, the banks gradually transformed into verdant green gardens, and then there was the Parliament building itself by the water's edge.

It was a rather elaborate setup, courtesy of the current Prime Minister's more extravagant predecessors. A particularly extravagant predecessor... with a knack for gardening and horticulture (though not architecture, as the building's design was... well, rather peculiar for something supposedly built during the late 19th century).

Prime Minister Shroom the 777th reflected on that, and on the new knowledge ingrained in his so-called mind. He reflected on that as he gazed on the water's reflective surface, gazing from inside his air-conditioned river boat. One could go to Parliament by car, or by boat - and Shroom felt the need to take the scenic route, so by boat it was.

The Prime Ministerial Dinghy was flanked by Mushroom Marine patrol vessels, frickin' PT boats. The PT boats were just a layer of the many security measures that protected the seat of Shroomania's Sovereignty, and those who sat on those seats.

Rumor had it that there was actually a submarine hidden under the water, to evacuate the nation's leaders in event of an attack on the Parliament itself.

Shroom, on the other hand, knew better than mere rumor.

He knew that there was really an actual-factual submarine under the water.

"Land-ho!"

The female voice broke Shroom from his thoughts on deep-penetrating submarines, and he looked up and saw his seemingly perpetually-cheerful aide. Slim and brown haired, with a short skirt and a playful smile.

"What?" Shroom asked her.

"Oh, nothing. You're just acting strange today," she replied, shrugging as she picked up the papers the Prime Minister was supposed to go through but didn't. "If it wasn't for that pensive look on your face, I would've thought you were sea sick."

"I can't get sea sick," the leader of the Sovereignty of Shroomania said, correcting her gravely mistaken assumption. "Since we're on a river... and not a sea."

She snorted and gave him his Prime Ministerial homework papers.

"Ah... have I forgotten anything else?" Shroom asked as he fumbled with the papers while setting foot on dry land. A particularly important piece of paper regarding something-or-another about another war erupting between a couple of nations somewhere far-off with orphans and widows being bombed flew off and fell into the water - and the paper was immediately set upon by the various fat fishes that inhabited the water. "Damn!"

"I could tell you what was on the paper," Alison said as she, Shroom, and their retinue made their way into the Parliament building's backdoor entrance. "But I won't."

"Eh," Shroom dodged a dragonfly that was bound for his face. "Wasn't it just some war between a couple of nations somewhere far-off, with orphans and widows being bombed?"

"Yeah. You actually read it?"

"No."

"Oh yeah," Alison said, suddenly remembering something. "You have forgotten something else!"

"What?"

"This," she pulled out a wig and handed it to the Prime Minister, who looked at it apprehensively. "Wig."

"Oh dear..." Shroom uttered as he experimented with the toupee, putting it on his head and -

"It's on backwards."

"...but it's very comfortable. I think I'll keep it like this."

"Suit yourself," Alison shrugged and pulled out another piece of paper. "Here's our itinerary for this session of Parliament."

They entered the marble halls of Parliament, filled with the many various members and Ministers of Parliament - such as those of the House of Commons, and the House of Lords.

"Hang on," Shroom hushed her suddenly. "Is that the Duke of Whales?"

"Yeah, that's him."

"He's fat. Oh, and he's coming towards me."

"Try to ignore him," advised Alison.

The Duke of Whales passed Shroom by and greeted the Prime Minister pleasantly. Shroom returned the greeting while avoiding looking into his eyes.

"Okay," Alison continued. "Here's your itinerary."

"I'm all ears."

"There's domestic matters, and there's foreign matters."

"I know all of the foreign matters," Shroom said. "In fact, I can enumerate them rather conveniently:

1.) The matter of the Fungal Union of Nations and my impending trip to PeZookia. The FUN, our trade deals with PeZookia, Shadow, and Byzantium - even though Byzantium isn't really in the FUN, but still. Foreign affairs and stuff.

The affairs also concern our mutual defense agreements. The former-Shadow regions east of PeZookia are causing them a lot of grief, and it's almost for certain that things are gonna get worse. Goddamn Super Chechnya.

We're also going to go on about our space program, the FASTA, and where it is currently at, budget appropriations, missions, and political whatsits. Minister Moonbeam wants his daughter in space, heh.

2.) There's also the deal with Sirnoth. It seems like someone's forgotten to put an embassy there for... ever. And we're going to fix that - and that means budget appropriations for the property and for construction, and assignments for the diplomacy corps. We want to improve relations with Setzer over there, and so we will - perhaps having him join in on the FUN.

I'm not sure if I'll be flying into Sirnoth, or if Setzer's going to PeZookia. The both of us will have to figure out our schedules and fit this thing.

Anyway. Personally, I support dealing with Sirnoth. Aside from benefiting with trade and all that, we get to have eyes on Shepistan OD. It's a volatile region... which leads to:

3.) Shepistan OD, Old Dominion. What do we do? They're killing each other... again. Do we continue the Food Program with Shepistan? There are people that require humanitarian assistance, but then again, how can we reward a regime with food when they're going into war?

4.) Somewhat tangential is Japanistan. It's a scary place, and who knows what those people are doing to that Sumatra region. I suggest we open diplomatic relations and be rather nice, while maintaining our guard up. Other people want to take a more hardline stance, interventionist and all that, but I don't think that's the way to go. Other people want to leave them bugger all, but I'd rather establish some human contact and some... well, some relations.

I guess that's all for the most pertinent Foreign Affairs. Now, how about the domestic stuff?"
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Defense Bill Passes Parliament

The controversial new Defense bill passed parliament today with a surprising margin for it. It calls for an increase of Defense spending to $40 billion a year.

"We have cut funding again and again, and frankly the military no longer has the tools to do the job we want it to do anymore. This should rectify that."'

The new legislation calls for the army to grow by one division. This is seen as overdue by many, as the ground forces are usually stretched between the incessant border wars with the CFR and their other commitments. The army is also looking to add more multiple rocket launchers to its artillery.

The air force is also expanding. The air force plan calls for the acquisition of 2 more heavy AWACS planes and a force of long range bombers over the next several years.

The navy also received a boost, with plans to construct 4 more corvettes and 2 more frigates and destroyers over the coming years. Two LPD's are also being considered for procurement.

The defense bill was mainly controversial its funding mainly came at the expense of farming subsidies and some higher taxes. The national farmers’ alliance held a rally in the capital today in which over 5,000 protestors attended.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Williamsburg, Old Dominion

The SS-[Designation] plunged through the atmosphere, towards it's target below. It had been launched about fifteen minutes earlier by a SRG Rocket Battalion towards the Capital of the Old Dominion to strike the airfield outside the city where the capital's defensive interceptors were based.

As was turning out to be the case in this conflict, the Shepistani missiles were notoriously inaccurate; being off target by miles. So it was with this one. It plunged into the Shinra Republic's embassy on embassy row, the warhead detonating deep within the Secure section of the embassy.

CNN Footage of the Shinra Republic's Embassy after the missile strike

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Annapolis

Of the 40 IRBMs launched, only 20 or so were successfully intercepted. The Lord Fairfax decreed that resolution must be shown, and and equal amount of damage must be returned this time. 21 ATACMs launched headed towards Annapolis. Substations, water purification plants, telecommunications switchboards, and Annapolis International Airport were all targeted. Within minutes Annapolis was out of power, out of drinking water, and unable to talk to anyone.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

West Chesapeake

(small arrows show direction of attack)'

Slowly, the PT-76s of the 121st Amphibious Tank Battalion churned through the water towards the disputed land of West Chesapeake, while F-84s of the Air Force reserves soared overhead.

It was quite surprising that the 121st ATB still existed; as the tanks were no longer "officially" on the rolls of the Shepistani Army, but had been found in some reserve depot somewhere, being kept in working condition by reservists.

One of the tanks coughed and came to a stop in the water and began to sink, not from enemy fire, but from the poor maintenance that they had received -- it had been about 25 years since the last of them had received their programmed depot maintenance.

As they neared the shoreline, more began to sink from the hail of ATGMs that the Old Dominion force was firing at them...

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Command Bunker, Army House

"So, have our envoys to the IRT and Japanistan been dispatched?" asked Sheppard.

After one of his aides answered affirmatively, Sheppard muttered. "And tell them to get something better than those pieces of crap SS-[designation]. Can't even hit the broad side of a barn...."

[OOC: Shepistani military buyers are now scouring the earth to buy intermediate range weapons from anyone who is selling; our stockpile of crap IRBMs is running low]

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Dominion One
"Alright fine, is this the game he wants to play?" Lonestar snarled. He was looking down at the EOOB for Anne Arundal County, the administrative unit around Annapolis.

"Obviously, the people of Annapolis do not sufficiently feel as if they are in a horrible mess." Lonestar said. "I want ATACMS to hit every air defense site in Anne Arundal county...and I want the ODAAF to start taken out every bridge in the county. I want Shep to feel besieged. Does the West Chesapeake Sector CO need more men?

"It seems it's a matter of "so far, so good..." The aide said, handing Lonestar a photo.

Anne Arundal County and Annapolis
This was the first time that the Old Dominion had really used ATACMS in a combat situation, and by now the quartermasters were beginning to get alarmed at the large numbers of these "accurate, therefore less likely to be uses" missiles being expended. Orders had quietly gone out to the Combat Optics company to begin immediate manufacture of more missiles, but that would take time. Feelers were being sent out to countries with the same missile system for purchase of any spare stocks.

55 ATACMS launched at 20 air defense sites in the Annapolis region, as well as at 3 air force bases. Fast moving JAS 39 Bripens came in on low flying bombing runs on the dozen or so bridges in the county. of the 24 Gripens, 2 got shot down, one crashed due to engine failure, and another had to turn around after a "CHECK ENGINE" light. 7 bridges were destroyed.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

45th Missile Interceptor Squadron, outside of Annapolis

The ATACM strikes earlier had done little damage to the heavily hardened SAM sites around Annapolis, and even with a few radars out of operation due to bomblet damage; there were enough buried landlines to other functional radars to make up for the slight loss of radar capability.

Each MIS was subdivided into two detachments, each controlling sixty missiles each. It was the first detachment of the 45th MIS that got the order. Commence bombardment of Langley Air Force base, just outside of Williamsburg

Due to the efforts of the RB-56H Stratojets which cruised outside of Shepistan's border looking down from their cameras at 40,000 feet, and the magic of LORAN navigation, the planners had a pretty accurate idea of the layout of Langley AFB.

The missiles, mostly earlier F-99D models which had been scheduled for expenditure as target drones against the newer F-99Fs, had their target data downloaded into their computer brains; and were lifted into launch position. With a roar, their solid rocket boosters fired; pushing them high into the sky, where at 30,000 feet, their twin ramjets lit off and took over.

Lighthorse AFB - Southwest of Richmond

"Jesus," muttered the officer of the watch. "Can we intercept those?"

"Something going Mach 2.9 at 83,000 feet? Can try; but I can't gurantee a successful intercept like I would with something going much lower and slower."

"Do it."

As they watched on the Big Board, friendly missile symbols appeared on it; headed towards the dark red symbols of the vampires.

"What the hell?"

As they watched, one of the incoming Vampires began to jink back and forth. They had no way of knowing that this was part of a pre-programmed random evasive manouver system that was made possible by the tremendous endurance of the BOMARC; some 500 nautical miles with the D model.

This also made it possible to do circular routes to approach targets from multiple angles, to overwhelm air defense networks. Out of the forty BOMARCs launched, four failed to light off correctly, and thirteen were shot down, leaving 23 to hit their target.

Langley AFB, outside of Williamsburg

Fire and blast washed across parts of Langley as the BOMARCs hit their targets, after diving on them near vertically from 83,000 feet and approaching Mach 3.4 in their dives. Compared to the latest F models, the 385 lb warheads of the Ds weren't as big; but were more than sufficient to start huge fires at the tank farm which contained most of Langley's Aviation Fuel as the superhot fragments from the warheads sliced through the farms...

Elsewhere, several missiles struck the hangar that normally housed Lord Fairfax's transport fleet. Despite the roof of the building being hardened against all sorts of things, the designers hadn't intended for it to be hit by a multi-ton missile travelling at Mach 3. The backup plane and smaller support airplanes inside vanished in a spray of fragments.

Outside on the flightline, missiles hit the "ready" spots, where aircraft would most likely be, destroying four JAS-39 Gripens recently delivered from the MESS Cooperative Pact Plant, so new in fact, they still had the MPG stickers on them. Further down the flightline, a lone C-130J crumpled and began to burn.

In stark contrast to the inaccuracy shown by the Special Republican Guard's IRBM strikes; the BOMARC strikes had been shockingly precise; thanks to the mid-course correction provided by the launch sites to the missiles.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Tân Sơn Nhất International Airport, Saigon

VVTS was a very, very busy airport. Not only was it the primary international airport to the Incorporated Republic, it also served as a major cargo hub.

And today - it was even busier, and even tenser. For along the one side of the flightline were rows of Shepistani An-22 heavy transports, with large cylinders being loaded into their cavernous holds. A tremendous number of export-grade ballistic missiles being shipped to a far-off land to replenish someone else's wartime stocks. And of course, Luna-Mars Corporation were making out like bandits with the sales with their wildly successful DF-25 MRBM.

On the other side of the vast cargo field - Old Dominion C-17s and Tian Xia C-16s were being loaded down with replacement ATACMS missiles. Men quickly working to load as many as they could: the sight of their hated enemies' vast airlift fleet giving them extra incentive to work faster. And of course ... the tension. Extra police had been sent out to ensure neither side tried anything stupid like trying to sabotage the other or gum up the works of this mighty airport.

After all, the cash must flow.

Sales Notes
400 ATACMS for $275M total to the Old Dominion
Shep will shortly post the price of mine.
Last edited by phongn on 2008-08-23 02:30pm, edited 1 time in total.