SDNWorld Redux - Casting Call & Planning

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Coyote wrote:Use this as the starting point for the Byzantines:

Then find Greece and add them together in Paint (it's on every Windows machine in "Accessories") and fill in what you need.

The base for this is "aboutGeography.com" and they have all sorts of blank maps.

EDIT: Or, go to Google Images and type in "Map of ______" and poke through the results-- anyone can find a map in there.
That's the map of Turkey, but I guess it's close enough of an approximation (less Thessaloniki and Athens). Though if you could add parts of Greece, that would be nice. :P

Actually how about this: Wiki Pic. Minus Egypt up to below Jerusalem should be fine. I wanted to use this pic before, but I didn't have the means to edit it.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Oh! Oh! I'll use inverted Poland and we can have a border with Stas (They already fit! :D)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

That would work too.

I actually do not have time to do any of the visuals right now; I barely learned how to do it through trial-and-error myself with Canissia. I'll be gone from the 10th through the 28th, probably with little or no connectivity... and I have waaaayyy too much stuff to get caught up with first both at my regular job and with the Reserves before I leave...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Just a question for everyone to consider: What happens when someones post count passes the threshold to a larger nation size? If the new STGOD goes any length of time I am sure to pass the 1000 mark for a larger nation. Would it be possible for me to start with a 1000 post sized state :P ?
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

How about a swap in such cases? Trade up to the next level of nation, but remove, say, 25% of GDP so you start out poor?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Why don't we use a different level of technology? Who can blow up the world if nukes haven't been invented yet? Why not Classical or Medieval?
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Hmmm...

We could use that Medieval/Fantasy Earth RAR with all the mionotaurs, etc...

Eh, I dunno. I'm generally mor eof a tech guy mself...

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I've preferred tech to the more fantasy settings.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So, are we going to keep it at modern tech leverls? more sci-fi-ee?

Or maybe Late '30s? :)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Lonestar wrote:So, are we going to keep it at modern tech leverls? more sci-fi-ee?

Interesting idea, but it kinda kills all our space program work.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Lonestar wrote:So, are we going to keep it at modern tech leverls? more sci-fi-ee?

You just know there's a certain somebody who would start a Manhattan Program straight away :P

Besides, I want the fucking Moon mission :D

I idly proposed a 2001-styled tech level to Rogue in PMs.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

'20s then?

I WANT BATTLESHIPS, DAMNIT!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Personally I'd prefer modern tech for us (or possibly 70's era stuff). Less work trying to figure out how technology advances and so forth. Though I'd play in a 1930's era game. It'd be like playing Hearts of Iron.

Edit: if we put the game in the 30's realistically we'd have to deal with racism, colonies and whole bunch of other period bullshit as well.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

PeZook wrote:You just know there's a certain somebody who would start a Manhattan Program straight away.
It doesn't matter if we role-played 10,000 BC, someone would burn the entire forest down and stampede all the Mammoths just because.
Besides, I want the fucking Moon mission :D

I idly proposed a 2001-styled tech level to Rogue in PMs.
I was thinking about modern level, + maybe a couple years' of speculation. Basically about where we left off... say that the world was recovering from a fierce nuclear exchange from "years ago" and only recently had the world's descendants gotten back to where things were...

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

I agree with Coyote and PeZook.

I want my hot babe astronaut in space, Goddamn it. :D
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

You just want to think about Zero-Gee Rumpy-Pumpy.

That's okay. I think about it a lot too.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Alternative proposal:

We re-start...30 seconds before Shep decides to launch WWIII and Shepnukistan is vanquished from the map by will of Q and we continue onwards as if nothing unusual had happened.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

There is that. Save us a ll a lot of work.

After all, we've established that this is Q's test for humans, power, and social violence... and he's the first to go, sorta like "Survivor: Nova Terra".

"You've been voted off the planet."

"Next..."

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Actually addendum to my previous idea:

Shepnukistan is remvoed from existence 30 seconds before the "Big Red" button is pushed...along with all nukes.

I know they are a part of the modern world and a great deal of where we stand today is based on the nuclear diplomacy of the last 60 years but fuck if they don't just make the game a pain in the ass to play. So lets reboot and forever nix the nukes...or at least no earth-targeted nukes (if we make it into space we can nuke the hell out of those creepy Martians/whoeverians).
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

But don't nukes bring a sort of excitement to the game that conflicts fought with conventional weapons lack? Not that I'd like to get nuked to bits by everyone's dog right from the get-go, but still... At least it sounds like it should be a legitimate research option...

Anyway, in terms of maps, a modest proposal for my duchy:

(A tweaked map of Saudi Arabia, obviously. Currently the would-be capital is the only city filled in on the map.)
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Shep was quite right, though, that removing them from the table gave the MESS disproportional amounts of military strength. Nukes rather equalized that, though there were the obvious issues that nuclear warfare brings.

Also, if Shepnukistan is removed, can I have E. Neverhood? :P
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

wait you guys started a nuclear war while I was mostly offline?

please tell me someone used the pic of Pipboy getting his face blown off with the caption: Why no one fears the Bear Republic.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:wait you guys started a nuclear war while I was mostly offline?
Er, yeah. Also, your northern regions are currently being plastered with nukes to prevent FUN assets from staging out of there. Sorry, nothing personal.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

I support Shepnukistan being Q'ed out of existence just before he orders his strike, like this.

(The part that I'm talking about is about 4:30 into the clip)
Visitor of five museum ships.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

What if we're all part of one big empire? Like, there are various provinces and post count determines which one you get. Or some situation where openly fighting amongst ourselves is minimized.