SDNWorld Redux - Casting Call & Planning

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I actually like Shep's idea of a post-nuclear holocaust.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I'm signing off :) Cya in some hours.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

To expand, you could make it so that each "level" is a certain amount of points.

Like say you get 100 points and it breaks down as this:

Imperium - 100 points
Tsardom - 80 points
Kingdom - 60 points
Principality - 40 points
Duchy - 20 points

And you could purchase from there? Each level worked out so there's a semblence of balance, but then there would be advantages and disadvanatges to having only one Imperium as opposed to having five Duchies, or one Kingdom and two Duchies, etc.

EDIT: And instead of having to use your points on territories, you could use remaining points to build up your one territory if you only want one landmass to deal with.

EDIT2: Basically you can choose between say, having one Imperium and be a big bad country, or ruling over five smaller countries as some sort of Union or whatever. Or a mix of the two. Like say you're a Kingdom but you have two Duchy-level colonies out there...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

*sigh*

I say we keep it simple.

The only problem last time was for the Duchies, they were too poor. And, well... the finances given to us really weren't big enough.

We just upgrade our GDPs, that's it. Duchies start out with 300 mil. As I've said before.

Duchies get Saudi Arabia's - 300 billion (OR Hong Kong, for 200 billion)

Principalities get Sweden - 500 billion

Kingdoms get Netherlands's GDP - 750 billion

Tsardoms get Canada - 1.4 trillion

Imperiums get twice that, Germany - 3 trillion

That's it. Too many technicalities and game mechanics is too hard. We were going very fine the last time - the only problems were that Duchies were marginalized and that Shep and Skim were being DICKS.

With the dickery hopefully gone, all we have to do is just give the Duchies an infusion of cash and size, and we're all good to go!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Since it's been a lot of fun seeing you folks deal, ally, contra-deal and backstab, I'd like to join the new game. As a piddling Duchy most likely - but hey, something's better than nothing :).
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

We've had an audience all this time? :D

We need to keep it simple to start, that will encourage more participation, and not make it so that only the number-crunchers have the advantage.

Let's put several small Duchies and the like together on one landmass, and have borders-- that way they won't be hobbled by needing to maintain a navy for trade. We can also make the landmass they are on a rather resource-rich place, so they have a pretty nice economy to make up for their small sizes. Kind of like a collection of Switzerlands and Monacos.

If someone specifically wants a small island paradise (liek WesFox had, for example) they can do that, and have a heft economy based off of offshore deposits of stuff and tourism.

Otherwise, let's agglomerate some of the larger Kingdoms and Tsardoms together so that there's at least two governments per landmass.

Only Imperiums would qualify for a landmass all their own.

And we could sprinkle in a few small Duchy-size or Kingdom-size governments on the edges as NPCs. When a new player shows up, we pick one and say "there's been a revolution, and a new leader arises!" and they step in.

Too bad-- I loved Canissia! :cry:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

SIEGE TANK!

Side with me, mang. We're going to save the world this time 'round!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I'm going to resurrect my empire, but this time, it will be proper: Byzantine Empire.

And I want more of Greece and land all the way down to Syria and Jerusalem.

I don't mind cohabiting with Stas. He can have all the Balkans all the way to Ukraine. :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Would we want to use a duplicate of the actual Earth, or a whole new world?

And how much of the history carries over? Are we basically playing our descendants, who bear remarkable similarities to us?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Coyote wrote:We've had an audience all this time? :D
Yep! Siegey is an old buddy and our exploits give him the lulz! He was also in the game during the REALLY early stages.

Too bad-- I loved Canissia! :cry:
Why surrender Sparta when you can keep it, Leonidas! And carry Shroom's standard into the heart of Europa!

Seriously. I'd love to see a lot of old familiars and favorites return. PeZookia, for sure. And the Red Technocracy, Shinra, CANISSIA!

This will be the spiritual successor and sequel to SDN World.

As those crazy Metal Gear Solid villains say:

IT'S NOT OVER YET!

Fingolfin: Stas already uses an inverted map of Russia. Perhaps he can expand that map to include bits of Europe, and you can be included as well?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:SIEGE TANK!

Side with me, mang. We're going to save the world this time 'round!
*Peers at postcount.*

"We must join with Him, Gandalf. We must join with Shroom Man. It would be wise, my friend..." :D

I don't mind sharing a landmass with some nations of roughly similar size, as long as there's a decent shoreline somewhere in my newfangled duchy.

(Speaking of which, what are the requirements for duchy/principality/kingdom/etc. again?)
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coyote wrote:Would we want to use a duplicate of the actual Earth, or a whole new world?

And how much of the history carries over? Are we basically playing our descendants, who bear remarkable similarities to us?
I'd think it'd be a whole new world. There would be some similarities (I'm going to be the Shinra Republic again, for instance) but it's basically a clean slate (though we personally might remember SDN World of old).

Think of it as Q saying "Well, that's done now" for the old SDN World, and deciding to start a new sandbox with slightly different conditions to see what we do with it. :)
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

For reference:

HERE is where I got the awesome MAP OF SHROOMANIA.

HERE and HERE are other maps you guys can use for the land masses!

DUDES! These maps are from Ace Combat and Ace Combat is AWESOME!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Fingolfin: Stas already uses an inverted map of Russia. Perhaps he can expand that map to include bits of Europe, and you can be included as well?
Oh that would be excellent. Saves money and travel time for the Ecumenical Patriarch. :D
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I'm basically going to be an independent island myself, though hopefully placed somewhere near some of my MESS allies or other friends.

Mostly because I already have a map of an island and don't want to go through the trouble to make a new one. :D

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I'll keep the Spain map, with Portugal cut out, and link the rest of it to a larger landmass. Maybe even just do a Spain-Europe-Russia thing, with everyone else cut away, so it doesn't look too familiar (ie, Central & Southeast Asia, Middle East, Africa cut away).

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coyote wrote:I'll keep the Spain map, with Portugal cut out, and link the rest of it to a larger landmass. Maybe even just do a Spain-Europe-Russia thing, with everyone else cut away, so it doesn't look too familiar (ie, Central & Southeast Asia, Middle East, Africa cut away).
Perhaps if you did that you could hook up with Stas and Fingolfin on their little landmass?

I wouldn't mind being the overly large island near your little mini-continent.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You guys should seriously consider using this.

I already got dibs on the Usean Continent.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

RogueIce wrote:
Coyote wrote:I'll keep the Spain map, with Portugal cut out, and link the rest of it to a larger landmass. Maybe even just do a Spain-Europe-Russia thing, with everyone else cut away, so it doesn't look too familiar (ie, Central & Southeast Asia, Middle East, Africa cut away).
Perhaps if you did that you could hook up with Stas and Fingolfin on their little landmass?

I wouldn't mind being the overly large island near your little mini-continent.
That'd be cool. Having a bunch of different alliances on one landmass would be more interesting.

In fact, you could take the outline of Portugal and break it away a bit and it would look like continental drift... Heh. Some other players should populate the rest of "Europe" betwee me, Stas and FN. Or we could have locals-- I like the idea of indigs that may or may not be overly pleased about us being there.

I think Terra Libertia and Neverhood should be imported much as they are, except with some NPC group filling in for East Neverhood. We'll entrench things a little more to show the passage of time...

The rest of the solar system can remain the same.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I wouldn't mind having the extent of the Byzantine Empire under Heraclius I before the Arab invasions (minus Egypt and Carthage).
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:You guys should seriously consider using this.

I already got dibs on the Usean Continent.
Ohh, that looks good. You posted it while I made my post, apparantly.

Wanna just go with this?

If we do, I'll claim SOTOA. (far to the west on the map).

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Coyote:

I was thinking we could resize and rearrange that, and cut the landmasses to chunks. There are several continents.

Shroomania uses up one continent, Usea. But apparently Shroomania itself ISN'T continent sized (I am not an Imperium) - so my "continent" is going to be resized into just a large-ish island surrounded by many other lesser island nations.

You guys can have your land masses! I can have island archipelagos surrounding me.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

That works.

Let's see what the advantages are-- after all, using "real world" countries, you can use Google Images to find blank outline maps and fill them in as you want. They are designed for children to learn geography, but they also work well for our purposes.

Of course, I think I was one of the few that made topographical features on my map, most of us just did political features.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coyote
Using the old maps, you and Byzantium could go one of two ways if you want to link together:

or

Obviously you'd have to modify the coastlines a bit to get a good fit, but that's the general idea.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Use this as the starting point for the Byzantines:

Then find Greece and add them together in Paint (it's on every Windows machine in "Accessories") and fill in what you need.

The base for this is "aboutGeography.com" and they have all sorts of blank maps.

EDIT: Or, go to Google Images and type in "Map of ______" and poke through the results-- anyone can find a map in there.