STGOD 2k8 background thread

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Noble Ire wrote:The Eighth Enclave
Oh Snap. I find that kinda funny--due to Nit's name... anyway, like I said, I found it funny. Please disregard. Actually, I'll expand this a bit. Let's get a second Utterly Unoffical revision of my Nonbinding Backstory. One sec...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A radius of around 350 Lightyears from Sol and Earth, the Holy Solar Empire of Fortress Terra was a regime built upon state-enforced fear and state-sponsored prosperity. A distributed network of relatively small feudal powers that all gave Terra Proper what it demanded in exchange for protection, both from forces outside and unknown and from Terra's own Star-Smashing Armadas, the Empire functioned literally unopposed for a millenia.

Widespread Man-Machine Transhumanism had taken humanity to great heights--greater than any that could be achieved with flesh alone, but internal and external pressures had forced Fortress Terra to comprise between total control and regional autonomy. Growth at the individual nation-state level was encouraged, but at a price. Controlling interplanetary commerce, the dukedoms, governorships and republics of the Holy Solar Empire were beholden to Fortress Terra for their own vitality. Compliance to the distant power was a small price to pay for a modicum self government. Without Terra and her Fleets, they were without their own basic needs, and at the mercy to the more immediete threat from other, closer Imperial powers.

Among the duties, there was a draft to be complied with, several taxes and Holy Observances to be followed or bribed away, and the demand that each force levvy and supply the Empire with elements of it's own war machine. No single world would ever build a vessel of Holy Sol's armada--much to their own credit, they engineered vessels so labyrinthine that no single power knew all elements of their design, and instead supplied materials and parts.

With their ships of immense power and the stranglehold they had over commerce, Terra worked to power far beyond their actual boundaries, establishing a network of Deadlands around the core systems that were patrolled, monitored, and zealously defended from outside encroachment. Alien forces were known of intellectually, but only dimly understood, spoken of in the same terms as Demons and Angels--half believed, but completely feared.

At it's height, the Empire was an impenetrable wall of humanity's might, and all foreign powers knew better than to test their patience. Human powers who did not acknowledge the Primacy of Holy Sol were cast into the Deadlands, but an even less fair fate awaited any alien species the fleets discovered. The few that were unlucky enough to have begun developing near Terran Space were obliterated and chased within a year of Sol, an ever-increasing Deadland that threatened to one day turn the entire nonhuman galaxy to Wasteland.

But as with all heights, there was threat of a fall. With every expansion of it's sphere of influence, new Empires of enemies were created, destroyed, and scattered to the void between stars. Here they waited, learning of each-other's presence, and gathered strength. It was harder to patrol these voids, and barbarians gnawed at the edges of Terra's deadlands--like Rats in Versailles. (Damn you Ryan, how do you spell that?) Control of the Empire depended on isolation and fear, not from actual fears that couldn't be controlled and disposed of successfully.

As new strategies were contemplated, methods to shrink the demands of a boisterous Empire and quell the rivalries between factions, something happened. Maybe the arrival of Nitram's forces, powerful as they were, set off a chain reaction of terror down the authoritarian ranks. New enemies posessing of vessels of nearly equal power, travelling enmasse to the Solar Empire's root. Perimeter fleets have already clashed with them--gutting many of the outsider's vessels and leaving them with a mere fraction of their original fleet, but the advance has torn a hole in the Imperial defenses, through which are pouring a number of vengeful barbarian forces. Enemies far outside, still strong and long prepared for an eventual clash with Earth, turn attentively towards the scuffles.

When it becomes clear the invaders are humans--true humans in blood and mind and all, terror sweeps over Terra, and in an orgy of Xenophobia and body-snatcher style hysteria, the Empire descends into chaos as Fortress Terra obliterates the surrounding sectors and walls itself off. It is unknown if Terra survives at all, but the Imperial Remnants flail about without orders from Earth, and the peacekeeping vessels have either returned to Sol, or left abandoned in their stardocks.

The galaxy sits, breathlessly, awaiting the next move--what next? Do they wait for the Empire's vessels to return, bringing the resources and security they need to survive? Or would they commit a Cardinal Sin, and seize the great ships for themselves, and take what they need from their neighbors? Or will they all wait around like retards and attack only the first person to send a fleet anywhere? Only time can tell.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

=- Enclave Communique: Status Of Galaxy R-25 Expedition. -=

Following the detection of interstellar technological markers, the Expedition has located a large empire of many worlds. Mercury Scoutships and the Infiltrator Teams aboard reported high levels of Pro-Human attitude and acceptance of genetic deviance from Romas-class Humans to suggest socio-political compatibility with the Enclave. Further analysis suggested a similar religious/mythological connection to Terra, and the location of the world.

Upon arrival of expedition fleet to outskirts, border fleets engaged and attacked. Firepower was not consistant with technological analysis reported by Infiltrator Teams: Cause as yet unidentified. Secondary explosions during battle suggest use of volatiles in weaponry and/or power generation to acheive rough parity with the expedition's warships. Losses were within acceptable parameters on initial clashes. Post-incident intelligence suggests ignorance of durability of Enclave material science, due to abandoning of disabled hulls for fresh targets. Under the Centurion's direction, the disabled ships have been running cold in the wake of the main fleet, to disguise their continued existance. Repairs still pending.

First Visual Contact revealed that deeply-ingrained socio-religious orthodoxy did not accept that Enclave Romas-class humans were human at all. Odin-class and Jotun-class only worsened diplomatic attempts. Further incidence of combat flared. Additional hulls rendered noncombatant. Cityship is still online and intact.

Intercepted communique suggested, and an implosion of violence confirmed, the instability of the Terran Empire. Presense of Enclave Vessels and Personnel sit at 83% probability of being the cause of the immediate outbreak, but long-term causes still being fully analyzed.

Long range scans and Infiltration Teams have confirmed shipyard facilities sufficient to be converted to drydock and repair for our vessels, despite inferior technology. To ensure the safety of the Cityship until reinforcements arrive, we are taking steps to secure a region of space around said shipyard. Local population will likely resist nonviolently if proper procedures are followed. Colonial Administrator has been granted field promotion to oversee captured territories civilian application.

Long range scans and intercepted communique suggest the use of planetbusting/systembusting weaponry during the implosion of Terran Empire. Priority One will be securing these weapons from the warring remnants and safeguarding them until reinforcements arrive.

Semper Custodes.

=- End Communication -=
Last edited by SirNitram on 2007-11-06 11:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

So, when exactly is the game to be set? Right after the Imperial collapse? A decade? A century?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I don't have the details and such fleshed out but heres a general Overview for my guys.

Emperor Kuzko was one of the more wildly eccentric leaders of the Great Terra Imperoum during its Third Golden Age.

During this time the idea was hatched not to colonize new worlds with a few thousands at a time but create ships on such a scale that they could colonize and populate a whole sector of space in only a few decades. Plans we're drawn up to create a series of "Planet Ships" Each a sphere like station a 100km long.

They would be sent to the far outer rim of the Galaxy with the hopes of increasing the Imperium's size by a staggering size in only a short time.

The first of these massive vessels was launched as "Teknotron-One" And sent to what was listed as a Mineral rich planet in a cluster of close by systems.

Unfortunately just as the Massive ship was arriving, a Potent Retrovirus broke out and ran rampant among the colonists.

Desperite for a cure, some, utilizing Mind/Machine interfaces perfected by their Ancestors, left behind their bodies all together and became part of the great Planet ship. By the time a cure was found, ((with the help of someone else perhaps?)) The population was ravaged and the lofty idea of a quick new Province for the Imperium was lost.

None the less the people survived and expanded.

Several Generations later, under the Guidance of the MachineWorld that serves as their capital, they expanded into a good a proper SpaceNation.
The experiences with Mind/machine interfaces also evolved into a new way of outfitting Warships and elite members of the society.

In the current nation "Computer" is an actual job option. For those with no where else to go, or perhaps those hungry for a change of pace, people can be linked to a Starship to become a ships Computer and effectively "Become" the Starship.

For some this is a part time thing, for others, they may live thier whole life Integrated into a Starship.

Elite members of society in fact, wishing to gain a form of immortality, often build lavish, expensive and often well armed starships to integrate themselves into. The military as well exploits the ease of Mind/machine interface with an Elite Fighter force known simply as "The Buster Corps"

Immense Humanoid Fightening machines with the condensed Fire Power of a small Destroyer, they project the power of the ((yet unnamed)) Star nation as well as serve as living symbols of Civic Pride the populace often rally behind in dark times. While not practical against anything larger then a Corvette, their symbolic importance makes them valuable assets.

((More info to come, current ideas subject to change :P))
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Noble Ire wrote:So, when exactly is the game to be set? Right after the Imperial collapse? A decade? A century?
I dunno... did Hotfoot or Nitram say anything about that yet? I swore I heard a number like 200 or so. Honestly, when I wrote it, I made it sound like "the next day, the shit just got real" or something, but I have no idea. I figure in an Empire that takes only a week or two to cross, if the capitol and all heads of state essentially got atomized by their own insanity as hideous barbarians rushed inwards, crap would hit fans fast. I think your 100 years is not bad, but I wouldn't be suprised if it only took 100 days for things to get broken. No idea though, personally.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

A century is a good mark, I think, for the amount of time since the collapse.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Why no magic? I thought magic as an understood, quantifiable mechanic would be acceptable. It would even add a bit of mysticism to the old Imperium. Vague memories of court wizards who could still be roaming the stars, advising new powers from the shadows, confident in their abilities to stay hidden and safe. Books with spells of untold power could be locked in imperial vaults, letting those factions who have the genetic engineering to use powerful magics to wielding nuclear+ levels of destruction with just a few individuals. At the same time, magic is inherently weaker than technology for the reasons well known to those who have debated against D&D and Harry Potter.

Plus, I am being a bit selfish here, but I wanted to play a highly developed technomagical society, that uses magic and tech side by side. For example, you get in a car wreck. You are still going to go to surgery in the ICU, but as the surgeon operates, nurses will be pouring curative "spells" into you, helping to staunch bloodflow, keep your heart beating normally, oxygenate your brain etc. in addition to the technology doing so. Your recovery will be speed by artificial skins, nano-repair bots, and simple "cure light wounds" reducing bruising, scarring etc. Magic isn't really powerful, but it is cheap and relatively readily available.

Plus, I believe that all of us are putting up our first drafts. I know I am going to revise, expand, and detail my story much more, as well as establish pregame truces, enemies, and friends.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

I think a hundred years or less after the fall would be best, but hell, if the game starts with the news of the destruction of Terra spreading, that could be cool too. Lots of fear, lots of panic, lots of court intrigue amongst the Imperial feudal states, and out in the Deadlands the barbarians hear of this new weakness, and decide that perhaps now is a good time to test the defences that have held them back for so long.

But if people don't like that, 100 years is a pretty good upper cap. Of course, we could say that some of these nations might have been out of Imperial rule for longer, in that corruption and decadence might have caused them to be all but forgotten, footnotes on ledgers centuries out of date saying that they pay their tithes, but little else. How bad do we want the pre-fall corruption to have been? The worse it gets, the less of a threat Nitram will seem in the eyes of the others. If the Empire has been in decline for centuries, then the sudden string of military failures would be less dangerous sounding.

Also, I thought it was implied that Nitram basically smashed his way straigh to Terra where everything blew up and he was the one limping off with a scrap of his fleet remaining in comparison to the utter devastation of the empire. The sudden suicide of the capital seems... unlikely if the attackers were just at the border.

Also, I'm pretty sure we can work supernatural in somehow, although it seems to be leaning more closely to the psychic side of things, although I'm sure you could simply call whatever you do "magic". There will of course be counters though, and no one (except maybe the outsiders) will be surprised if you do something funky.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Dark Hellion wrote:Why no magic? I thought magic as an understood, quantifiable mechanic would be acceptable.
"I call it psions, you call it magics" that's workable. If your people considered science a blessing from the gods and thought that Nuclear Reactors are fueled by demons, because they're hot and the light from them is poison, then your people may be silly but it's still workable. But actual magic? As in "Abra Cadabra, Presto Changeo?" Is that at all, in some way, perhaps even barely workable?

Yeah, but it opens up a whole new can of worms. If magic is strong, can I have legions of Magisters on a ship instead of cannons? Do fireballs require oxygen to burn? Can I bypass shields by summoning cacodemons directly inside of your hull? We had issues last game with Psionics and Mindreading, and so we said that if we have psi, then we'll have psi shields as standard as well as psi amplifiers required to knock down a building or so. No godlike psionics ripping downtown apart.

The same would apply to magic, and moreso, since psionics are a relatively minor assortment of parlor tricks while magic is fucking pixie dust. What's the harm in pixie dust? I think you made it clear in a further sentence:
Dark Hellion wrote:Books with spells of untold power could be locked in imperial vaults, letting those factions who have the genetic engineering to use powerful magics to wielding nuclear+ levels of destruction with just a few individuals.
Yeah, but, you see, now we're down a slippery slope. Mages with nukes in their brain? Can my PD's intercept a Nuke spell? Does it show up on radiation scanners? Can a 1 point frigate carry one or more nuclear+ capable mages? How long to recharge this? Etc. It gets messy and fast, and it's unnecessary. Why do we need magic? It's inessential, and quite honestly, it's not sci-fi. If we have magic, then let's just do magic, but let's not mix magic and magic together. Unless my Energy Shields designed to stop laser beams also block Ice 3, I'm going to really have a hard time accepting the fact that every warship out there has energy shields, psi shields, magical wardings and so on--all of them--all the time. If they don't, we create a massive disparity in power. It's just too fucking messy and it's soooo not sci-fi. The Warp is sci-fantasy. But just generalized tomes of spell magic and mystic words and such? Unless everyone is going to agree to do their magic in the same way, with the same restrictions, and have it be equal to technology in every appreciable way, it's gotta go.
Dark Hellion wrote:Plus, I am being a bit selfish here, but I wanted to play a highly developed technomagical society, that uses magic and tech side by side.
I won't begrudge you that, but honestly, we need a degree of consistancy. Does everyone agree to live in a world with Science AND Magic, and be responsible for defending yourself against both? Do we need to stick talismans of power all over our battletanks?

Honestly, the biggest non-theme reason against this is that we're already rather similar to a 40k scenario, and are slowly starting to swing back towards something a bit more original. But if we throw magic into the mix, we're either some godforsaken Harry Potter land where wizards are a hidden special magical people, or we're The Imperium, and I'll have to play an Inquest and hunt down the rogue Castyrs or something, just to spite people.
Last edited by Covenant on 2007-11-06 12:05am, edited 2 times in total.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I'm strongly against the "Terra just blew up" scenario on account that it forces us to do a whole bunch of "Oh no! What do we do now!" posts and goes against the whole idea of us already having tensions and hatreds. After all, seconds after we hear the news, we're not suddenly going to factionalize. I'd picture the factionalization taking at least 50 years.
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

I am thinking that magic should be almost effect for effect equivilent to technology. For example (not saying this is really representative of the game) If I can't teleport a bomb into your tank with a technology based displacer, then I can't with a spell. Maybe your tanks are built cheap though, and thus squads supporting mages(displacer equipped troops) with such an ability as well as others, would find themselves at a momentary advantage. At the same time, my mages (personal shield units) might specialize in spells that intercept small arms fire, and you utilize lots of anti-personnel missiles, mines, and cluster munitions, which I can't defend against, thus stalemating us, me hunkering in your cities for defense, and you unable to spearhead any heavily supported assault into it. I am not mistaken in that an element of this story is the value of land post fall means that you must fight it out for planets, invading territory and holding it, because you just can't afford to nuke the crap out of it? Thus as long as it is the same complexity as technology based ground warfare already is I think we can keep it in. Any magic user powerful enough to need some kind of orbital bombardment to take out, should be as rare and expensive as a technology that would require it (bioweapon, elite killbot squad, motley cru 3050 reunion tour).

If allowed to do it, I want to keep my factions magic very logical in how it assembles itself. It is simply an alternative to add flavour to my faction, and to allow others a bit of freedom to do the same. It also has to go with the idea of having a bit of whimsy in my faction, as my former faction was so dour, and kinda sucked.
-GTO

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

"Terra just blew up" doesn't work because there's not enough time for blood enemies to develop. Having a century gives the advantage of allowing a history to develop between nations of bad blood.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I'm not sure if the 100-300 year old crumbling remains of a facist xenophobe Empire where your nearest neighbors are either cannibals, rape gangs, or people wanting to cleanse the meat from your bones is the most prime place for a faction looking for an injection of whimsey. Our universe was, originally, the place where whimsy goes when it's been bad. This is where whimsey goes to die.

However, if that doesn't work for people, then we're really going to have to re-evaluate the theme. People said they really liked this (I wanted to do Fantasy, remember! You had your chance at whimsey!), and so I'd really prefer we try to change the game's level of whimsey/magic/mysticism or something at the Theme level before putting it in our own individual factions. If we can write Magic into the over-arching theme in a way that makes sense, well, maybe your faction uses it for amusing small children where Consequences uses it to breed a species of Un-Men who Know Only Hate.

I'm not against magic overall, but I'm against an uneven application of the stuff, so that one side uses magic, another uses bullets, and none of us knows how to quantify what happens when missiles hit a ship protected by Barkskin Armor.

If we do magic, as I mentioned to another player, we could make an Imperial Spellbook to define in plain terms what magic can or cannot do. I really don't want an Elemenstor to 'freeze' my tanks or something, and take them out of action using some wanky application of magic that is unfairly Swiss Army.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Yeah, either we are going to do this dark, gritty, and serious, or not. "Magic" just does not fit with this... sure you CAN quantify it, but it doesn't fit with the theme at all.

If we are doing this, having things 100years past when Terra went BOOM sounds good, you NEED time for things to really fester before you can pop the cork and unleash heck an all that.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

I suppose we could call it that both magic and psionics were discovered and quantized long ago, but in the end it was discovered that there was a "Law of Conservation of Effort" in that both of these supernatural powers required pretty much the same amount of effort as the already mature technologies they had. Casting nuke spells could take an entire stadium of mages or psychics, or required enormous boosting equipment that was usually of the same size and power draw as an equivalently powered weapons battery. So research was abandoned except for a few weirdos who decided to go down these alternate paths simply because they could.

Oh, and its very easy to turn whimsy into darkness, you just have to spin it right. For example, while my metal barbarians are something of an extended joke, I'm going to point out that I stole the best bits from 40k's Orks and Emperor's Children Chaos Space Marines with a copious dollop of Viking lore and a sprinking of Metalocalypse. They do the raping and pillaging and burning and looting thing very well. If you want to make magic not whimsical, just whip out your sacrificial daggers and get chanting.

Oh, and for the random generation thing, all I ask is that you make sure to put the barbarians on the right side of the Rhine. We can still be crammed in there, just make sure we're at least two weeks away from Earth.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Really, I am very ambivilent on the magic point as well, and don't want it to be an issue if it is going to be. I am arguing for a really weak magic anyways, and anything I was going to do with magic, I can easily explain away with just as believable tech, so I don't need it for my story. It was just a way to add something. I kind of want my faction to be the optimism within the darkness that is the post-fall. Other factions have machine-minded fleets ravaging, but that's on the other side of the galaxy, and when it gets here, we'll be prepared (won't we) so now we can play our little games, negotiate with the neighbors, work with peace, and fight the small wars. The whimsy might also just be a veneer so they don't have to face the idea that the imperium really has collapsed, and they have to fend themselves in a galaxy that doesn't have certainty anymore.

This is why I want to play the faction I am playing. They are fascinating to set up, and see how they are going to play themselves out. I want to see them wind down, see if they break.
-GTO

Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Hmm i'll put the crazy ideas out here.

One is that due to long time cooped up on ships and reading the stories of ancient Chamaran heroes a group has tried to make combat with swords practical in this era through personal forcefields and sheer damned catgirl agility to close distance before something heavy is brought to bear on the silly kitties. I'm thinking that if normal agility isnt enough then some form of powered armour or telekinetic amplifier for the small amount of psychic potential each Chamaran has.

The other is a large device that emits a sort of psionic wave on the frequency of human brains. The wave is either set to Alpha mode, in which it slowly degrades the free will and initiative of the humans in the area of affect in a form similar to a hypnotic trance, or Beta which just makes all humans in the area fall asleep after a bit. (yes the idea is inspired by Stalker), though the affect would be blockable with properly calibrated and gawky looking headphones and would be slow acting anyway. This should allow planet pacification to be a tad easier as the larger emitter masts would be able to cover entire cities.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Okay, time to rein in a bit. Before we all go off on tangents like children thrown from a collapsing Tilt-a-Whirl, we should get a consensus on a couple of key issues.

1) How 'dark and gritty' are we going to go with this? It's the difference between friendly cyborgs and "You will be assimilated"; between honourable Viking warriors and burn and loot raiders; between "Hocus pocus!" and blood sacrifice rituals; and between having cute, cuddly catgirls and having feline aliens that consider other sapient species prey.

2) How corrupt was the Empire before its fall? Related is how religious they were, as both these factors will affect the successor states considerably. Either as they try and continue with the old or have a strong reaction to abuses of the empire, percieved or real.

3) How long ago did the Empire fall? 100 years seems to be the current winner. Related is, Nitram, since you seem to have made yourself a central figure, you should answer just how big of a fight you and the Empire got in. If you fought your way to Terra only to discover that the religious fanatics decided to blow themselves up rather than lose the homeworld to foreign invaders, then you should have been insanely strong and thus have taken an absolutely brutal shit-kicking to be on rough parity with the rest of us. So what exactly did happen? Even if this would be out of game knowledge, its important for setting the tone.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Nuts to 100 years. This should be fresh, current. A hundred years is enough time for a whole new empire to form, for things to stabilize. Anything more than ten years is too much. We should start in the chaos of the fall with a bare modicum of time to build up existing forces.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Twenty to thirty years perhaps? Enough time for there to be a new generation that has grown up in this new political structure and is not paralyzed with fear that the Empire might come back, and now these young ones are ready for greater things than hiding in their holes?
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

That's better, but remember that in these games change happens lightning fast, and a decade is more than enough time for a massive shift in thinking by a population in the real world, especially with such Earth-shattering events (haha) going on.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Hey, I was the guy who suggested we start the game with Earth going kaboom, I have no objections to going closer to the event. Plus, as to build-up time, the background Covenant has hammered out so far has every successor state being a vassal state already, more or less self-contained but obliged to pay the tithe and supply their own military forces to fight for the Empire. The way it's written, everyone already has their stuff set up to fight when Earth goes up, so there is no need to worry about building things, its all ready to go the way things are written now.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Academia Nut wrote: and between having cute, cuddly catgirls and having feline aliens that consider other sapient species prey.
Aww you mean i cant have it both ways? cute cuddly predatory catgirls who consider you lesser species prey, pets or slaves.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Cats do play with their food before killing it, so it's entirely possible for both. You will of course end up in the "sick and wrong" portion of the sliding scale of grim, darkness, but it will be a good sort of "sick and wrong". Probably the spiked bat to the head kind.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I think we need to wait at least a generation. Have it be a time of expansion and strife, where many smaller powers were absorbed or wrecked. This also gives enough time for the central imperial military remnants to have largely become so feeble that they alone can't outmatch the rest of the successor states.