Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Thanas »

^Sure thing.

As for naval construction, Britain has actually produced more large ships than the german empire this year. That is what Sänger means by matching their production. After all, Britain is building 4 Aircraft carriers and 6 BB/BCs this year, while also commissioning 6 more soon.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ah, thought you were referencing the Dominion(which caused me to raise an eyebrow given my relatively paltry 2 BBs and 2 BCs, under construction).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^ I just read through the storypost and rephrased, because it is quite easy to read that way.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:^ I just read through the storypost and rephrased, because it is quite easy to read that way.
No fear. Time to use his imperial majesty myself. :twisted:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, don't provoke the sleeping german dragon....
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Ah, court intrigue, how I missed thee...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:Well, don't provoke the sleeping german dragon....
Ha I say. We just pass the supreme autocrat the plans for the communist takeover of Germany that are underway by Sanger. Certainly he will be interested to hear. Particularly when the information is passed along by a close friend of him along with showers of praise and a horde of shiny new toys for him to play admiral with.

I mean we so much love and admire the kaiser's person we send 50 ships to show it. :mrgreen:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Indeed, and make the review far eclipse that of Queen Victoria. :)

That said, Wilhelm willl get suspicious because the brits are about breaking all court protocol.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

*coughs*

Um, Victoria was William's grandmother, not aunt. :P Actually, IIRC Bean wanted to add an ahistoric birth to the Hannoverian line that precluded her from gaining the throne, but he barely participated so that can fall by the wayside as far as I'm concerned.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^fixed. *hangs head in shame*
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

:? I can buy Mr. Kerr being a friend of the Kaiser, but even so I find it hard to believe that he would talk the way he does to a foreign head of state, much less the Emperor of Germany, considering the conversation apparently takes place with the admiral officially acting as a representative of the British throne. For god's sake, he's implying Sänger is a traitor, and to the Kaiser's face no less. Could he possibly be any more blunt?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Which is why the Emperor reacts as he did. The British are not doing themselves much favor here, especially given what happened between Sänger and the Emperor the day before.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:^Which is why the Emperor reacts as he did. The British are not doing themselves much favor here, especially given what happened between Sänger and the Emperor the day before.
The whole ploy is based om Wilhelm racting to Kerr as to his friend of 37 years not as Britain's envoy. Don't forget that the good admiral presents his conspiracy theory most unofficially and as a possible insight on British government beliefs not as a message from the British government.

Post that in Willy believed believe Jew and Freemason connected conspiracy theories ike the Jews helping overthrow him he's likely to start being nagged by Kerr's conspiracy theory. After all it is more self-consistent than most. :mrgreen:
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

The point is that even though there's little love lost between Wilhelm II and Sänger, there are certain pretences to maintain. You can't just off-handedly accuse the head of government of treason to the face of the chief of state. Even if Wilhelm were inclined to believe Mr. Kerr he can't afford to forsake his own chancellor. If he did, he'd look weak to the British (he just admitted to them he can't even trust his own damned chancellor!) and whoever else might be listening (fair bet is, the Emperor is rarely truly alone). Germany would appear fractured, and would appear so to its most immediate rival for dominance in Europe. That's besides the undoubtedly enormous ego the Kaiser nurses -- you've just told him you, an outsider, have noticed something he, an insider, presumably hasn't -- and the pretty epic breach of etiquette that is telling an emperor he doesn't have his shit in order as an official delegate. And I'm probably missing a few reasons why it's highly inappropriate to do what you just did, too... Frankly, I'm just kind of staggered; unless of course you wanted to make things worse between Britain and Germany, in which case it makes perfect sense...
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

*rubs forehead in irritation*
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, that attempt backfired on the British. Now they got the Emperor angry at them (and if he doubted Sänger could handle the British before, well, now he does not anymore), the german populace is pissed and of course, Sänger probably had a few choice words in private about what he thinks of backstabbing brits who use private audiences to trashtalk him as well.

That said, the reform effort bill passes after some modifications made by the Emperor to the bill. And Sänger is reelected.

Next to come - the Naval review.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

:D

Did you just introduce the modern German constitution two decades before it was ever written?
Last edited by Siege on 2010-02-07 08:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, I had to introduce the TERRIBLY LIBRUL VALUES somehow. So I took it, changed it a bit and then posted it. I could try to write a new one, but I find the prose in it far too elegant and my own attempts lacking...so there it is.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

That figures. It just makes me realize how terribly behind the times the Sultanate really is. I mean, when you get down to it we're pretty much operating on a system that by rights should've died in the 19th century, if not the 18th... Dear god, how do you conduct 20th century realpolitik as an absolute monarch with theological trappings?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It never seemed to stop any sultan before...or any christian king for the matter. Take heart in the examples of Louis XIV, Charles V, Henry VIII of England etc.
------------
------------
My LPs
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Siege wrote:That figures. It just makes me realize how terribly behind the times the Sultanate really is. I mean, when you get down to it we're pretty much operating on a system that by rights should've died in the 19th century, if not the 18th... Dear god, how do you conduct 20th century realpolitik as an absolute monarch with theological trappings?
"In the name of the God Emperor of Holy Terra, I declare thee diabolus, and deliver thy sentence..."
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Siege wrote:That figures. It just makes me realize how terribly behind the times the Sultanate really is. I mean, when you get down to it we're pretty much operating on a system that by rights should've died in the 19th century, if not the 18th... Dear god, how do you conduct 20th century realpolitik as an absolute monarch with theological trappings?
At least foreign representatives who make the Sultan angry aren't likely to get shot at the meeting table, which is what happens if they irritate Fahad, who really pulls the strings in the PRA. That's substantially better as far as diplomacy and foreign relations go.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Karmic, your navy build is rejected.

Naval Projects: 201.5, round to 202.

2x 1924 Model Battleship (30.5kt) – 61 IBPs (Complete Date, Q1 1927, 7 Quarters. Trials Done Q1 1928, 4 Quarters)
2x 1924 Model Aircraft Carrier (50.5kt) 101 IBPs (Complete Date, Q1 1927, 7 Quarters. Trials Done Q1 1928, 4 Quarters)
1x 1923 Model Battleship (27.5kt) 27.5 IBPs (Complete Date, Q1 1927, 7 Quarters. Trials Done Q1 1928, 4 Quarters)
8x 1924 Model Destroyer (1.5kt) 12 IBPs (Complete Date, Q4 1925, 2 Quarters. Trials Done Q1 1926, 1 Quarter)

The tonnages of the battleships and carriers are honestly reverse, at best. Carriers should in fact be below 30,000 tons as the fleet carrier is still a new concept and mostly made from either old converted battleships/cruisers or from newer, smaller designs based off operations from such. The battleships, meanwhile, should be in the 50,000 ton range if they're to compete in the modern day naval scene; even if you're looking to show the Congo as still ratcheting up its naval power, then a 40-50,000 ton ship would be reasonable with multiple countries laying down 55,000 ton ships and building/expanding slips for even larger to start circa 1927.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

OK, so I sent a PM to Ryan and Wilkens, so hopefully we can get these ceasefire talks going in short order.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Alright, here is how the review will go.

First, the emperor will travel, onboard his yacht, to the Flagship of the British squadron. He will then board that ship at 9:00 AM and give the command to start the review, upon which ships will raise steam and form formation. While that is being done, the Kaiser will re-embark upon his yacht.

The yacht will then travel at High Speed past the assembled fleets and reach the Battleship SMS Kaiser, which is stationed at the van of the assembled ships at the edge of the Yadebusen.

When she has passed the Kaiser, the Yacht will stop and wait until preparations are complete.

The SMS Kaiser will then start the review by firing the Kaisersalut, the 21-gun salute, while in turn passing the Yacht.

After the Kaiser has passed, six new ZD destroyers of the German Navy will perform some acrobatics at 38knots while passing the Hohenzollern.

Then the fleet detachements will pass and render honours in the followong order (which is not meant to be a slight to any nation):

1. Spanish forces
2. French forces
3. Tuscan forces
4. Chinese forces
5. Cascadia
6. Egypt
7. Balkan Confederacy
8. Byzantium
9. British forces
10. Dominion
11 Japan
12. Southeast Asian Union
13. Kingdom of Madagascar
14. The Bolivarian Union
15. Shepistan
16. German Navy forces

Mongolian and Bolivarian Union forces will also conduct flyovers in concert with the German Navy. After each pass has passed, the review will be concluded and officers et al are invited to dine on shore, captains and flag officers onboard the Hohenzollern.

Just wanted to let you know about this so if you want to, you can prepare a few statements in advance. All ships will be provided with a german pilot so not to run aground or to stumble into the minefields guarding Wilhelmshaven.

I'll make the introductory post to the Naval review soon.
------------
------------
My LPs