SDNWorld Redux - Casting Call & Planning

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Stas Bush wrote:I'm in favour of a new global map. Proximity could be discussed, but seriously, the GDP differences should be smoothed out and continental borders placed.
Can we still have some island nations? I don't want to make a whole new map. :D

Anyway some continental nations would be good. They don't even have to be of all one alliance. And with distances and such it gives an incentive to have all three branches of a military, even for island powers (to send to support their continental allies, if need be...kinda like WWII Europe stuff).

Bigger GDPs is my preferred option; I like my toys. :D

I'd say the military forces we did have (or were possible at game start) were pretty good, except we should bring Duchies and Principalities up to match the Imperium = 1/2 Tsardom = 1/4 Kingdom thing the upper levels had, rather than the massive drop down of the old scenario. Economies can be figured off that.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

MKSheppard wrote:I shall make Darfur look like a cakewalk, with dusty anthrax and thickened soman attacks; and the world will do nothing as tons of people die :twisted:
Joking aside, I do like the idea of having multiple hotspots. As Shep said, the world will do nothing in certain areas because we simply can't cover them all (much like in the real world).

Of course with that we'd need more than just Shep and Coiler to RP them, probably getting some others from the normal nations to do it as well. That's simply a lot for two people to try and keep up with.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Well, technically we could simply ban nuclear weapons, because a mundicidal weapon is still possible, and who knows if anyone might build one and explode one. Tampering with physics a bit to make nuclear explosions impossible is not that hard actually.

Banning UAR nations to Third World is also a solution, but I kinda see that as unfair after me and Fingolfin initiated essentially a complete genocide against their nations. Sure, they had it coming, but their attacks were not even half as murderous as ours...
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I want at least one carrier, even if it has to be a British CVF with a nuclear reactor, so that I can at least exercise some options.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

RogueIce wrote:Joking aside, I do like the idea of having multiple hotspots. As Shep said, the world will do nothing in certain areas because we simply can't cover them all (much like in the real world).
The scary thing is, even turd world shitholes now are getting really modern equipment. Just take a look at Sudan; they've got their own weapons plant producing chinese licensed tanks and BMPs...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Stas Bush wrote:Well, technically we could simply ban nuclear weapons, because a mundicidal weapon is still possible, and who knows if anyone might build one and explode one. Tampering with physics a bit to make nuclear explosions impossible is not that hard actually.
True. It'd be a bit clumsy though, but we could. *shrug* Heck if nothing else Q just zaps them away. "Sorry, but no nukes. You just wasted all that money for nothing, sucker!" :P
Stas Bush wrote:Banning UAR nations to Third World is also a solution, but I kinda see that as unfair after me and Fingolfin initiated essentially a complete genocide against their nations. Sure, they had it coming, but their attacks were not even half as murderous as ours...
It would appear that Shep seems to be warming up to the idea. :)

So Shep, what do you think?

Coilerburg was practically doing that last time anyway, just now he gets a few more such countries under his belt. I haven't seen Skimmer poke around in here lately so I don't really know what his thoughts are.
MKSheppard wrote:The scary thing is, even turd world shitholes now are getting really modern equipment. Just take a look at Sudan; they've got their own weapons plant producing chinese licensed tanks and BMPs...
That does require shady nations in the "developed world" to do that though. Although I suppose someone will try it *cough* IRT 2.0 *cough* :P

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

As before, I have posted continental-sized maps for us to use and split amongst ourselves.

You can go crazy with the Ace Combat maps, Stas - cut them to pieces, resize continents, whatever :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

One question though, would certain developmental projects (FASTA for one) have to start from scratch, or should we import some of it? Giving our world a "history" kind of based on old SDN World, at least so far as technological development went.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:For reference:

HERE is where I got the awesome MAP OF SHROOMANIA.

HERE and HERE are other maps you guys can use for the land masses!

DUDES! These maps are from Ace Combat and Ace Combat is AWESOME!
Shroom Man 777 wrote:You guys should seriously consider using this.

I already got dibs on the Usean Continent.

Stas could use his leet mapmaking skills to resize and rearrange these pre-owned continents, so we can have an AWESOME new SDN world that's not a giant archipelago.

We could have Tsardoms and Imperiums being continental powers, Duchies and Principalities being archipelagos, etc.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Nah, don't ban nuclear weapons. After all, once Shep unleashes a world-dooming plague, we'll need something to...dipose of him :P

Besides, you can destroy civilization in a gazillion different ways. We'd need to ban bioweapons and ammonia plants for one :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

RogueIce wrote:One question though, would certain developmental projects (FASTA for one) have to start from scratch, or should we import some of it? Giving our world a "history" kind of based on old SDN World, at least so far as technological development went.
We import.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:One question though, would certain developmental projects (FASTA for one) have to start from scratch, or should we import some of it? Giving our world a "history" kind of based on old SDN World, at least so far as technological development went.
I think we should assume that the technology to launch spacecraft already exists, but the infrastructure doesn't.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

IMPORT!

MacMillian Heavy Industries must not die!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Import. I'd copy-paste Selene anyway, since I'm too lazy to write it all over again :P

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Bah... if you are going to import, we might as well import a lot of other companies.

I have a joint venture with MacMillion, in the form of BAM. :P
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Yeah, whatever. I support Third-Worlding UAR nations, including Coiler. That way, if they start being a rising threat, we can kill and decapitate them in an overwhelming first-strike.

Bioweapons are dangerous, but with little proximity and massive trade-travel collapse in case of a global war, they won't be able to make their way outside of the contamination zones; the fall of infrastructure of the attacked nation would also limit the spread of bio-agents.

The worst idea is the cobalt or other contaminant salted bomb; and it's not just me who thinks that way. I'm sure Shep read Lee Asher's books on airforce power.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Stas Bush wrote:Yeah, whatever. I support Third-Worlding UAR nations, including Coiler. That way, if they start being a rising threat, we can kill and decapitate them in an overwhelming first-strike.
You'd be surprised how much trouble a turd world nation can cause, that doesn't rise to the "invasion and kill all" response :twisted:
I'm sure Shep read Lee Asher's books on airforce power.
Who?

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

A RAF guy (don't know whom eactly he was) who wrote assessments of German, Soviet, US airforces, as well as general book about air power, called "Air Power" (1955).

A good book on everything concerining strategic airpower and it's role. It also greatly stressed the importance of aviation having thermonuclear and cobalt devices as primary attack means in case of large war. Of course, the later concern with long term contamination made his proposals unsound, but he was dead on about thermonuclear weapons phasing out most other wmds and receiving the utmost importance and proliferation.

Assalti Frontali
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

A new map would be cool, and this time around with a bunch of nations joined together on larger landmasses. Navies are expensive!

Maybe for nukes we could Q something up-- like the fission process fizzles in devices over a certain kiloton range; the mass just doesn't work somehow. Reactors for power work fine, tacticals work fine, but city-busters just can't complete the reactions somehow.

We can do a lot with chemicals, still.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Let's just build a self-sustaining Moon colony before Shep kills us all again with his Third-World Doomsday Weapons.

Then we can drop rocks on him in revenge :P

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PeZook wrote:Let's just build a self-sustaining Moon colony before Shep kills us all again with his Third-World Doomsday Weapons.

Then we can drop rocks on him in revenge :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I like the idea of multiple third world shit holes. I wouldn't mind being put near them, actually. Then I could have multiple brush fire wars ala South Africa. (And perhaps more mercenary involvement :twisted: )
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

ProTec versus Dark Liquid! I've always been waiting for that 8)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

So any countries you'd like to see OBATS done for to help with sizing of nations?

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I've contemplated throwing my hat in. I would hope I'd be considered for a decently-sizable power given my tenure here on SDN, even if I don't post too often aside from fanfics and, in the old days, the JL/JLU Talkback threads.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED