Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread VI

Post by Steve »

Zor wrote:Fin, do a google search for "Nuggan" :P

Zor
LMAO. :mrgreen:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I protest. It was Shroom's idea to declare Spanish heresy. I am merely taking the whole idea to its most logical conclusion.

Be fortunate I didn't ban the Christmas. :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

People should now point gigantic hyperwave dishes at the Imperials, broadcasting Spanish monologues 24/7
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I'm sure the Umgah are even now repositioning their hyperwave casters.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

May the Fail be with us. :P
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Speaking of which. The Centrality. What do you call that ESPer Nation?

An ESPN.

badum-tish
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I see what you did there. :)

In other news, work continues on the next installment of Ascendant plotting...
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

So I haven't been following the Story Thread as closely as I should be, but I was reading it again over the last couple days. A couple posts stuck out due to the usage of Heim drive. Now it had been my understanding (IIRC it was covered heavily when Lost were found), that dual drive ships were rare. Their inherent slowness coupled with the logistical problem of providing parts (and fuel) for two different drive systems, not to mention the training, meant dual drive vessels are almost only ever found on private vessels.

Now I bring this up because if dual drive ships are fairly common amongst militaries then, the Heim Gunships that White_Haven is playing with, the Lost ships, warp missiles used by at least two nations, Simon's shoal space "Romulanoids" and the Hiigaran tactical hyperspace jump, are no longer interesting little cultural quirks. These are all things that are predicated, on Heim drive being uncommon enough, that the usage of Heim drives (or short range tactical jumps) becomes important enough to warrant mention.

Also Master_Baerne if the Ascendancy Starfleet is equipped with Heim drives and uses them for lightspeed maneuvers, why were they caught off balance by tactical jump? Shouldn't they have tactics in place to deal with light speed maneuvers?

Ok back to finishing my history so I can have something to show KhorneFlakes. Once that's hashed out I'll crank out the next stage of our interaction White_Haven. After that there is Coalition work to be done and then 3401 build plans to be unveiled, followed by some other stories I haven't gotten around to finishing. Whoo one at a time.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

We can say that the Ascendancy ship was a dedicated patroller that uses both hyperdrive and Heim drive to be able to navigate all sorts of interstellar climate conditions, at the expense of less space for offensive weaponry. Littoral Combat Spaceship!

Like, how some kind of warship that can fight both submerged and surfaced would be not as effective as either a dedicated surface ship or a submarine, yet has more "flexibility".
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

The short answer is, I forgot Heim drives were rare in this game - been reading too much TGG lately, it would seem. Oops...

The long answer/spur-of-the-moment justification is, after the Hiigaran/Ascendant joint exercises, several Ascendant Starfleet ships were retrofitted with Heim drives, precisely because they were caught off guard during the exercises. The drop in performance was deemed acceptable because the refitted ships were mostly patrol ships, and wouldn't be fighting proper warships unless something went disastrously wrong anyway - the ability to surprise an opponent was decided to be more valuable than the relative ineffectiveness of the ship was destrimental. How's that?
Conversion Table:

Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

A handful of dual-drive vessels intended mainly for shoal patrol and similar functions is fine.

For nations whose military does a lot of shoal work, dual-drives are legitimate as a common (if not routine) feature of the national fleet. Note that "a lot" basically means "lives in shoals," as do the Lost or my NPC Kavoolites.

Anyone who says that they can use dual-drive tactics to dominate enemy fleets when those fleets have comparable point value, except possibly as a home court advantage in shoals, will be crushified.

Heim drives aren't rare as such, they're just big honking things that take up a lot of space and thus compromise a warship's combat power. It takes a great deal of practice in Heim-maneuver tactics to make up for the loss of weapons, protection, and other qualities. Nations that are not experienced in such tactics will find the Heim drive to be considerably less effective than one might expect.

How's that?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I think Heim drives should have less accuracy for tight room maneuvers.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Ok sorry about that, I just wanted to make sure the game hadn't gone in a completely different direction when I wasn't looking.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Nah, this game comes equipped with proper warning lights and a back-up beeper, just like trucks! :D
Conversion Table:

Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Let it be known to those involved in the human side of the MEH stomp that the googledoc for placing the forces of the HumaCoal is now available. Tianguo, Umeria, Klavostan, and the Centrality already have their numbers up.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I think Heim drives should have less accuracy for tight room maneuvers.
I am on board with this, though with the caveat "...unless you are very, very good at it. Which you probably aren't, not without a really good reason."

What really matters is point balance, to be honest.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Slow clap Shroom, slow clap. I was wondering which five vessels of the PRFY you would choose.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

To clarify, as well, my Heim-drive gunship experimental squadron is not dual-drive. They sacrifice hyperspace capaibility entirely in return for a Heim-drive FTL system. That gives them effectively no strategic FTL capability, in return for a potentially remarkable tactical FTL drive. Notice that I said potentially. The Hermes, if it ever goes anywhere, is going to require time to iterate both technology and doctrine and also train pilots in that highly unusual form of combat. That's why it's one evaluation wing aboard a fleet carrier that carries ten wings of gunships normally, and also why that carrier's CAG is so pissed to have them there. Well, that and because he's a traditionalist, and hyperspace gunships are what RKS carriers do.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hmm, Fin.

It would seem that others have seen your excommunication... and excommunicated you right back! Hurrah for schisms!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:Hmm, Fin.

It would seem that others have seen your excommunication... and excommunicated you right back! Hurrah for schisms!
It's more of a reinforcement of existing excommunications. Even on Nova Terra, while most of the Orthodox Church might follow the one on Terra, I doubt it's a universal thing.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Good stuff, Siege. Was that co-written with Fin, or done on your own?
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Written with Fingolfin, as credited on the top of the post :). Most of it was his ideas, too.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Siege wrote:Written with Fingolfin, as credited on the top of the post :). Most of it was his ideas, too.
Sorry, didn't notice.

Also, amusing jarring things into action. I think I'll rush through a few bits I consider necessary to set up my own involvement and throw my characters in, though I don't want to be involved in major strategic decision-making since the various fleet admirals and crown princes of the major Coalition fleets outrank my guy badly.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Couldn't help but jump in. :P
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

About time someone started pointedly tapping a watch and glaring at the Shinrans. :)