Amazing 40k idea

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Amazing 40k idea

Post by Stark »

Since this forum is pretty much the 40k-and-change forum, maybe the '40k vs Empire' sticky should be expanded with some kind of reference? Having read some GW stuff, they're far less useful than the explanations that are provided by the fans here, and just a simply timeline and layout of basic concepts would probably cut down the new threads pretty fast. Even one of those 'link to threads where it was done to death' things would be nice.

Yes, I'm optimistic that people actually read stickies. :cry:
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Another option that I've floated in the chat and elsewhere is a subforum for 40K that could be included in here. The software's not difficult; our own Destructionator 13 worked it out for phpBB.

I've also been working on a bare-bones intro to 40K, that essentially begins with the Emperor and works on down through the rest of it, giving short descriptions of the notable groups and such. It's for the gaming section of another board I belong to, but I'd not be averse to posting it here...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That's a good idea. I've seen so many questions that are answered in two seconds by the really-quite-well-informed 40kers here, and it's just tiresome that they keep coming up. It's always about the same stuff too - the nature/history of psykers and the warp, the nature/history of the emperor, the nature/history of the necrons/c'tan, the nature/history of the SM, and the history of the Imperium. Nobody ever asks 'what's a hive fleet do for fun' or 'why is Abbadon such a hopeless loser'.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Thats a great idea, actually, i was hoping something similar myself. Its a bitch to hunt down the tons and tons of fluff which is scattered about in scores of books and hundreds of websites, and it would be so, so much easier to have a single sticky to reference it.
Kanye West Saves.

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Stark wrote:'why is Abbadon such a hopeless loser'.
Because useless Chaos players can't win a campaign to save their lives, even with a numerical and technological superiority. You want to bad mouth Abbadon, start with the Chaos players who keep losing.

As to the original idea, sounds great. My knowledge of current events in 40K verse is a likely a couple years out of date, but the core of it I shouldn't have a problem with if any helps needed.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Heh. Do they still base the universe on their in-store campaigns? Heh. Chaos must lose a LOT. :)

And I can't start it - I don't know shit about 40k. All the people what know the stuff need to.. like... write it down. :cry:
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Stark wrote:Heh. Do they still base the universe on their in-store campaigns? Heh. Chaos must lose a LOT. :)

And I can't start it - I don't know shit about 40k. All the people what know the stuff need to.. like... write it down. :cry:
On the contrary "nothing" happens as a result of campaigns.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

I think we also need to do something about the fact that this forum gets all these 40k posts, yet the 40k modelling/gaming thread hardly manages 1-2 posts a day.

You're all posers, that's what! :P

Also, I think many of these questions are easily answerable with a trip to Wikipedia or Lexicanum. The former has a lot of support and the Lexicanum Warhammer Wiki goes into some more extensive articles.
By His Word...
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Silence Uts you heretic. We will conquer this board in His glorious name and purge you from it! For the Emperor!
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Lost Soal wrote:
Stark wrote:'why is Abbadon such a hopeless loser'.
Because useless Chaos players can't win a campaign to save their lives, even with a numerical and technological superiority. You want to bad mouth Abbadon, start with the Chaos players who keep losing.
Didn't Chaos actually start well in the EoT campaign and it was only a last minute winning streak by the Forces of Order that prevented Cadia from falling? I know the attacks on Caliban and The Webway were repelled easily, but I'm sure the main battle was almost won by Chaos because from the start they were organised and knew how to use the way the tournament worked to take control of systems.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

On the ground, they dominated and now own the vast majority of planets. In space they got slaughtered and now only have a presense in something like 2 systems. Which GW then had to try and reconsile, eith mixed results.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Dark Hellion wrote:(Attempts to strike back with mere words and not deeds)
With what, harsh language? A bunch of nickels and paperbacks as proxies? :P
By His Word...
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Ok Uts, you, me, Old Chicago Pizza, 2hrs! Davenport or Iowa City! Fear the might of my Quad Cities power! :lol:
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Elheru Aran wrote:Another option that I've floated in the chat and elsewhere is a subforum for 40K that could be included in here. The software's not difficult; our own Destructionator 13 worked it out for phpBB.
I would be all in support of that. As cool as I'm sure Wankhammer 40,000 is, it's not my cup o'tea, and I wouldn't mind not having to sort through a dozen threads just to read about something cool. Actually, if I could be so bold, I would propose eliminating the PST and STvSW forums, as they seem to have served their purpose, merge all threads into OSF, then create two new sf forums. One would be the aforementioned WH40K one, the other would be devoted to the Sci-Fi channel's originals; the Stargates and BSG. There's not much on the latter right now, but come July I guarantee a wildfire of activity. Of course, not all topics would be moved to their pertinent forums, that would require a large amount of effort, but current and new ones certainly could be.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Darth Sephiroth
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Sephiroth »

You know, I've got a few WH40K things laying around, it wasn't until I started posting here that I started reading them. I'd originally bought them to use the minis in RPGs
Need Backup!
My Employer ID is: 29877
See the New Imperium (Please check this out we need people there)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I've actually been thinking this myyself, and I've been playing around with some calcs/analysis from the fluff of the RPGS itself (novels come later, time permitting.) And it might as well be lumped into one category
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

Naw, let's leave 40K here in OSF. I don't want to have to visit two fora every time I come to SDN.
Clear Ether, Currald
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'd love either option, although the Warhammer 40K subforum seems like it would be especially interesting. I myself only have a general knowledge of how things work in the Imperium and the W40K galaxy, although I have read a few novels.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

A 40k Encyclopedia of sorts, along with analysis and accpted calcs with the instances for their basis?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I would suggest a temporary 40k subforum for the creation of threads to explain stuff? All we'd need to do is get people like NecronLord talking and rearrange it. Unless people happen to already have 40k history essays? :)
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

a subforum seems excessive. Then you'd have to do one for B5, for BSG, for STargate, etc..

A specific, stickied thread devoted to 40K and various facets (such as firepower and the like) should be sufficient.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Since 40k is very popular around here (easily as popular as SW or ST) i think having a single sticky with all the calcs, timelines, character history etc would be a great idea and i would gladly help out if volunteers are needed to hunt down the fluff.
Kanye West Saves.

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

So does anyone who has the fluff and data post it, or send it to a few designated posters, since everyone posting info could potentially lead to repeated posting of several bits. All you have to do is look at some of the threads requesting info to see it usually results in 5 or more people posting virtually the same info with some variations to the layout and detail level.

Ivanova is always right.

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

We could ask for submissions of info on particular things, and see which is better, or have different people look up different subjects under a specific guideline of what info is needed maybe.
Kanye West Saves.

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

For the record then, I have:

Codex;
2nd Ed Codex Orks and Angels of Death, Codex Imperialis, wargear and rulebook. 3rd Ed Orks and Armageddon

Source Books;
Index Astartes I + II, Battle for Armageddon, Sabbat Worlds Crusade.

Novels;
All Ragnar's + Gaunts Ghosts, Eisenhorn trillogy (not omni) Ravenor duo, Blood Angels duo and Bloodquest Omni, Eye of Terror, Deamon World, Horus Rising, Angels of Darkness, Fire Warrior, Nightbringer and Deathwing.

Various White Dwarfs.

I can provides quotes and summeries from these and scans of images.

Ivanova is always right.