Star Wars with jump tech

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Straha
Lord of the Spam

Star Wars with jump tech

Post by Straha »

Just a whim, but what would happen if a battle tech jump ship jumped into old republic space (insert reason why) and was captured by count dooku on his ws back to coruscant with death star plans.

Just incase you none Btheads don't know what a jump drive is. It basically instantly transports a ship, and any ships its carrying 30 light years. downside being you need to charge it a week between jumps for maximum saftey (can be done in less)
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

I would be surprised if anybody in the SW universe would bother.

Like I said, I really like BTech but compared to other universes it is at a severe technological disadvantage.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

I think Star Wars would replace the reactor of the KF-Engine and produce a better cooling system so they can jump much much faster... it would not replace the hyperdrive but it could be a superb tactical engine for small distances...
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

What I see it being used for is mostly short distence transport, its instentanious, empire could develop a quick charger for it, or upgrade battery design to increase range and speed. But the real military purpose would be in 100-200 years when imp physicists/mechanics would be able to make it more practical then hyperdrive.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Post by Moonstone Spider »

Is jump drive affected by gravity? If not it might be the greatest boon to smuggling since the invention of the Bribe since they could escape interdictor cruisers easily. If hyperdrive was available only a moron or a very desperate person would only have a jump drive but it could be used in a lot of sweet tactical moves, a fleet of ISDs trading in, say, 4 TLs for a Jump Drive would be lethal in the hands of somebody like Thrawn. Insane ambush capabilities. Also microjumps are useful in SW but very dangerous, Jump drive does the same thing safely.
Webcomic Junkie.
Graeme Dice
Jedi Master

Post by Graeme Dice »

Moonstone Spider wrote:Is jump drive affected by gravity? If not it might be the greatest boon to smuggling since the invention of the Bribe since they could escape interdictor cruisers easily. If hyperdrive was available only a moron or a very desperate person would only have a jump drive but it could be used in a lot of sweet tactical moves, a fleet of ISDs trading in, say, 4 TLs for a Jump Drive would be lethal in the hands of somebody like Thrawn. Insane ambush capabilities. Also microjumps are useful in SW but very dangerous, Jump drive does the same thing safely.
Jump drives can only be used in Lagrange points in the system.
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Actually, once in system they can jump to planets inside the system. the only reason they don't jump in on top of the planets is matter that could be in the way and the fragility of the jumpships with gravity. Both easily countermanded by putting a jump drive in an ISD.

HRogge
Jedi Master

Post by HRogge »

Graeme Dice wrote:Jump drives can only be used in Lagrange points in the system.
I remember that they can only be used safely on lagrange points... but this might be because of the fragility of the KF-core and the helium cooling system .
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Also the ships themselves are pretty fragile if a single large nuke can blow one up .
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!