Questions about Halo MAC cannon recoil

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Questions about Halo MAC cannon recoil

Post by Jub »

Advocate Walker wrote: 2022-02-10 05:50pm No. A MAC (Mass Acceleration Cannon) is just a more advanced and bigger version of a Railgun. It uses magnets to accelerate a projectile. So, basically the projectile is hovering inside the weapon, and accelerates through magnets. In the videos the Shockwave is the breaking of the sound barrier. And the impact also creates one. However in space there is no such resistance, and it keeps its speed.

Conclusion: There is no recoil.
If this were the case how would engine exhaust push a ship forward?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Also, this is a 17 year old thread necro. Impressive.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Christ, I didn't even notice. Is that a record?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

It’s got to be up there!

Are the shields physical, or some kind of exotic particle swirling around the ship that’s being held in place by some kind of energy?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Tribble wrote: 2022-02-28 09:22pm It’s got to be up there!

Are the shields physical, or some kind of exotic particle swirling around the ship that’s being held in place by some kind of energy?
I mean, it's gotta be, right? The board is from 2003, IIRC; we could only have gotten a seventeen-year necro starting in 2020.

Anyway. I don't think it's ever made clear what exactly Halo shields are - whatever it is works better against kinetic weapons than plasma per the novels and game mechanics, so does that point us in any particular direction?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb