challenge: make the draka world realistic

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Vodka Vindicator
Youngling

challenge: make the draka world realistic

Post by The Vodka Vindicator »

your challenge is to make the world of the domination of draka books more realistic. YES i've seen the various scenarios with a more realistic draka but I'd like to see what Stardestroyer.net's minds whether warsie or trekkie can develop.
“This éclair is over one million calories. Twenty-five pounds of butter per square inch. Covered with chocolate so dark that light cannot escape its surface.” --- French Chef

A sufficient thickness and number of layers of Kevlar will stop an arrow from an English longbow. A sufficient thickness and number of layers of Kevlar will also stop 120mm sabot, Styx missiles and nuclear weapons.-- Sea Skimmer

"Rikes!"

"That's right Scoob; we're dealing with one sick sonofabitch!"
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

This is what the team has so far, though it's definitely a work in progress and there are certain concessions to story, I'm sure. If you're really interested you can try to chat one of them up on AIM though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
The Vodka Vindicator
Youngling

Post by The Vodka Vindicator »

I've seen it all so far. Its very interesting.
“This éclair is over one million calories. Twenty-five pounds of butter per square inch. Covered with chocolate so dark that light cannot escape its surface.” --- French Chef

A sufficient thickness and number of layers of Kevlar will stop an arrow from an English longbow. A sufficient thickness and number of layers of Kevlar will also stop 120mm sabot, Styx missiles and nuclear weapons.-- Sea Skimmer

"Rikes!"

"That's right Scoob; we're dealing with one sick sonofabitch!"
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

1-Have some guns developed After 1800 developed outside of Africa
2-Tone Back some of the tech that the Draka got.
3-Give other people high tech weapons, Like giving the Japanese Soldiers Assault Rifles and having the Yanks have tanks with 100mm Guns
4-Have a bunch of Nations beat the Living shit outta of the Snakes
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Draka is that alt history verse where South Africa ends up ruling the world, right?
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

It depends. Make a Draka winning storyline realistic? That's hard. Make a Draka-get-crushed storyline, that's easy.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Aya wrote:Draka is that alt history verse where South Africa ends up ruling the world, right?
Yeah, there supposed to be sort of a dark reflection of the US, with just as much innovation despite being a slaveholding society.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Symmetry wrote:Yeah, there supposed to be sort of a dark reflection of the US, with just as much innovation despite being a slaveholding society.
You know, given sufficient numbers...

Of course, they never had such numbers. :P
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The_Last_Rebel
Padawan Learner

Post by The_Last_Rebel »

Have the British Army in the mid-1800s teach them who's boss when they try to become independent.
"A woman spanking her child is not as great a threat to aviation as members of Al Qaeda with box cutters," says one expert.-Understatement of the century.
"You can't fix stupid"-Ron White
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jalinth »

NecronLord wrote:It depends. Make a Draka winning storyline realistic? That's hard. Make a Draka-get-crushed storyline, that's easy.
To make a viable Draka, you'd have to alter history big time.

Main one is to draw out and delay advancement0. Having the US civil war be an inconclusive engagement is important. No superpower in the wings.

Europe needs to remain divided. No united Germany or Italy - Prussia is simply the biggest of the states.

Russia doesn't expand - its Crimea campaign is unsuccessful (so the Ottoman Empire is stronger).

Spain maintains more of its North American possession

The result should be a series of small wars in Europe - diverting energy from industrialization. Having strong religious movements would help - leads to a plateauing of advancement.

The US would be two competing Eastern seaboard nations that cannot divert significant energy to western colonization - making them middle powers.

Even then, it would still take until the later part of the 1900s for the Draka to expand enough to be a threat. Africa is not a wonderful place for development - too many diseases, jungle, and temperature/humidity extremes for machinery to last.

My suggestions are a pretty good sign that the Draka are pretty unrealistic outcome given the timelines in the books.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Jesus, those Drakia sure like their mass impalements. Vlad would fit right in there.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.