Can anyone tell me what went wrong in Westworld...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Dennis Toy
BANNED

Can anyone tell me what went wrong in Westworld...

Post by Dennis Toy »

I was watching that old Adult Amusement Park gone haywire flick called Westworld, you know the one with the robotic gunslinger. I had learned alot about engineering practices in this site and i wanted to quiz you all in here.

What went wrong in westworld, use your engineering knowledge learned from Stardestroyer.Net and produce and answer.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

My take on Westworld, and what went wrong was, Holosuite, no safeties.
The computers were designing computers, that were designing computers, that were designing the robots, with the goal of realism, and safety conflicting. They were either not clear enough in the priorities, or the AIs designing the robots were getting too nuanced in their definitions of "realistic" and "safe".
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

My take

Redundancy....There was no redundancy, one system powered 5 different functions instead of the other way around. So the scientist had no way to shut down the robots

Isolation: The computers and robots were on the same system, Delos did not network the systems with different computers and different electronics. In a real network. You use different systems so if one fails the other can take over.

Dead man's principle: No way to simultaneously shut down the robots and computers all at once. They couldn't just shut down power with a switch and all the robots fall to the ground

Westworld was a deathtrap..
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Another theory

Post by Patrick Degan »

Bill Gates wrote Westworld's operating system, thus turning the amusement park into a product-liability lawsuit waiting to happen.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Please you should know by now that Gates OS's are perfect for Death-Traps, If something messes the whole place crashes to the ground all the Robots would have just fallen over

Now if they where using 0S/2 Warp then I could forsee the events contiuing as they appered in the movie

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton