ORC waagh

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

starfury
Jedi Master

ORC waagh

Post by starfury »

the orcs have organized a Waagh, can the SW galactic empire hope to stop the massive assuaslt of these greenskin hordes from Warhammar 40k, let the slaughter begin :twisted:
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

the fuck's a waagh?! INCLUDE INFO IN THESE VS THREADS!!!!!!
JADAFETWA
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ork hordes spill out into the outer rim. Rapidly world after world falls under the green tide.

Then slowly the assault bogs down as stronger and stronger defenses are scrambled to each world.

The Orks lose, but the Empire doesn't exactly win.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

And they'll almost for certain never get rid of them :)
Joe Richter
Redshirt

Post by Joe Richter »

Agreed. The Orks will have an easy time out on the rim but will slow and eventually stall at the core worlds. The SW galaxy will never get rid of the greenskins though.

For the person asking, WH40K orks are big, strong, tough and green and have a rudamentry grasp of technology. Their mechanics (or Mek boys) have the capability to build interstellar capable ships and are capable of instinctively building advanced shields and transporters. Most orks are armed with a big sharpened steel cleaver and a big gun that fires solid slugs with a bore of 50 to 100 mm. All orks seem to share a sub-concious psychic connection and, when a great (read bigger stronger and more viscious than the rest) leader emerges he seems to amplify this. As more and more orks join him the affect cascades and becomes a Waaagh! (so called because thats what orks tend to yell when they charge towards the enemy). After he has conquered and absorbed all the local Ork tribes in neighbouring systems, the Waagh turns it attention to the local alien systems (or the Bloody oomans as they call them).
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Timeframe?
40k ORC are the easyest of the races of 40k to smack down

(I'd love to see the ORC's trying to batter though the roughly 60% of planets that have a full strength complete Plantary Shield Set-up)
Those things are expected to hold of Exotons of damage and laugh... VS ORC weapons they can knock but they can't come in 8)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I see. Well, I think the Empire would just lay the infamous Imperial Smackdown! (TM) and send the orcs to meet their patron deity.
JADAFETWA
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Mr Bean wrote:Timeframe?
40k ORC are the easyest of the races of 40k to smack down
One thing I've learnt from playing Eldar/Marines vs Orks is that you can NEVER have enough ammo/guns. Those fuckers will just keep coming.
(I'd love to see the ORC's trying to batter though the roughly 60% of planets that have a full strength complete Plantary Shield Set-up)
Those things are expected to hold of Exotons of damage and laugh... VS ORC weapons they can knock but they can't come in 8)
The main problem is that 40K warp could allow these to be easily bypassed. If not Mekaniaks would likely just build a massive "Shokk Attack Gun" (remember those?) to pass through the shield. 30 trillion crazed and randomly materialising snotlings vs 2 Imperial divisions? I'll give this one to the snotlings.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

They'll annoy the empire nothing more, until they get really huge numbers. Freking joke insult race.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Remeber as with everything else, PROVE it can pass through a shield that extends as far as we know into both Subspace, Hyperwave, regular and the lowly quantum level, giving rise to the possibility of it extending into others, The burden of proof is on you of if you want to have the "shokk" magicly go through shields

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Hmmm, I didn't know that planetary shields were *that* wide-spectrum. Cool.

Anyhow, in theory a Shokk Attack Gun uses a mini-wormhole to by-pass armour and terrain. But if the planetary shields are capable of interdicting travel in 40K warp then problems arise.
Joe Richter
Redshirt

Post by Joe Richter »

Mr Bean wrote:Remeber as with everything else, PROVE it can pass through a shield that extends as far as we know into both Subspace, Hyperwave, regular and the lowly quantum level, giving rise to the possibility of it extending into others, The burden of proof is on you of if you want to have the "shokk" magicly go through shields
Shokk attack guns are used, among other things, to beam targets through shields. (WH40K) Imperial shields are used, among other things, to protect ships from warp creatures whilst traveling in the warp. It therefor seems apparent that WH40K shields cover more bands than just "realspace". As the mechanism for Shokk attack guns are never precisely detailed and they seem to be able to penetrate any shields, it would appear that the burdon of proof lies with you to prove that (SW) imperial shields would block shokk attack guns.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

the orcs
Its ORK

I'd love to see the ORC's trying to batter though the roughly 60% of planets that have a full strength complete Plantary Shield Set-up)
Those things are expected to hold of Exotons of damage and laugh... VS ORC weapons they can knock but they can't come in
Huh ?

Have you played against Orks in Battlefleet Gothic ?

The main guns on Kroozers and SpaceHulks are just about the most powerful guns in the game.

Remeber as with everything else, PROVE it can pass through a shield that extends as far as we know into both Subspace, Hyperwave, regular and the lowly quantum level, giving rise to the possibility of it extending into others, The burden of proof is on you of if you want to have the "shokk" magicly go through shields
Well, 40k teleportation tech...excluding Necron phasing and portals, shunts the things to be teleported into the Warp, which is a dimesion of pure energy, also been described as a giant space-time distortion.

40k has shields that can prevent this sort of teleportation, Voidshields, which extend into the warp....but unless SW shields can prevent psionic style powers from working I dont think they can stop teleportation.

The Orks in fact could have access to the "tellyporter" a long range teleportation system that can transport Ork Warmachines from across a system..

It seems to me that they could teleport through SW shielding, theres nothing you have put that indicates Space-time distortion/temporal shielding as a quality of SW shields, frankly, Ive never seen it mentioned anywhere..

Anyway as I mentioned Orks dont exactly have weak guns, and they can mass rather large fleets..

How about the Ork Waagh being WAAAAGH Ghazkskull ?(spelling)

Theres plenty of numbers availiable for the intial attack of that Waagh...

If strength 4 torps can produce a volley of over 3000 gigatons, I cant wait to see what a Spacehulks Strength 12+ weapons batteries will do. along with the Lances, the lesser weapons batterys, Torpedos, etc...

Plus orks have a tendancy to tractor in gigantic asteroids and drop them on planets..or divert comets and such...I feel confident that

never precisely detailed
Ive read descriptions of both teleportation and Skokk guns...similar ozone and crackling energy...Id call em the same...
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

If I remember rightly the Shokk Attak Gun creates a mini hole into the Warp, & an exit point roughly where ever the Mekboy wants it. Then a load of Snottlings are forced through the 'hole' and they emerge on the other side. They emerge totally crazy with fear & in a frenzy as the warp is a pretty scary place...they then savage anyone nearby...

As far as I know the gun & indeed a lot of 'Warp riff' based technology in 40K can bypass most shields since they basically open up a hole in real space...
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

And don't forget those torpedoes are that strong according to one of the lower end calcs :)

There's also that instance of a single ship pounding a moon to dust with its lances or the Word Bearers and Night Lords blowing their homeworlds apart (the Night Lords doing it with a single volley from their fleet)
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

To anyone who's wondering WTF snotlings are think orks the size of Yoda (at the max). They are weak and cowardly but excellent mimics. After travelling through a shoikk attack gun portal though they become frenzied loonies.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The thing with Snotlings is that there's usually about a billion of 'em...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

are just about the most powerful guns in the game.
Barring Necron Batteries (cackles at the ludicrous nastiness of necrons in that game, so nasty that they have been downpowered twice as they got a lot of letters saying necrons were invincible. :twisted: :twisted: )

Also the preformace of ork "gunz" is pretty random.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

hey, Bean, where have you been during the "Planetoids attack the Empire" thread? I could use some backup over there, and this quote of yours is directly applicable.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

consequences wrote:
hey, Bean, where have you been during the "Planetoids attack the Empire" thread? I could use some backup over there, and this quote of yours is directly applicable.
:roll:

That quote is ludicrous.
「かかっ―」
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

XaLEv wrote:
consequences wrote:
:roll:

That quote is ludicrous.

I was just wondering if it had any basis, beyond realspace and subspace.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

100% Communcation Block when the shields up hows that one?

We have a base cannon fact that nothing gets through SW Plantary shields(They are forced to use Repeaters(Ref DFR,TLC)
No energy, not physical objects and not wave forms even in other dementions

Now then thats a generaly accetable SW Cannon fact, And now here comes the Orcs of 40k and you want to say that they can magicly Transport through all shields without providing a Single quote or reference to back that up?

And you call me Ludicrous

DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

100% Communcation Block when the shields up hows that one?

We have a base cannon fact that nothing gets through SW Plantary shields(They are forced to use Repeaters(Ref DFR,TLC)

Now then thats a generaly accetable SW Cannon fact, And now here comes the Orcs of 40k and you want to say that they can magicly Transport through all shields without providing a Single quote or reference to back that up?

Then how does light get through them? How can they use sensors? etc...

Don't get cranky just cause some other uber universe has stuff that can do things your universe can't...

Your SW shields may be the best thing sinced sliced bacta in Star Wars, but the tech from 40K works on a totally different principle. Warp based tech gets through shields by basically bypassing them. They dont come into contact with the shields, they go outside reality then re-enter it inside the shields.

Only extremely powerful psychic shields can stand a chance & thats only because they are created by a psyker, who is using the warp to said shield...

Standard 40K Void Shields are thougher than week older bread, but still are susepable to Warp Weapons...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I'm not angrey fokes, I'm never am, I mearly asking for evidance. I know that for example a Culture for Empire fight is so one-sided its not even funny, But I'll still ask you for information to back up your clamins

Think of me as the Defense which has a client who was flimed and seen commiting the crime :D Just because the job is hard does not mean one automatcily gives up without a fight
Then how does light get through them? How can they use sensors? etc...
Sensors extend outside the Hull and the shielding. And with the exception of Bridge Windows, nearly all *Windows are mearly repeater displays of sensor views, The only exception to shielding seems to be in visable light and as Mike was helpful to point out, the amount of energy one can pump into the VL specturum is so small its not worth the blindness factor to pilots and the like

Your SW shields may be the best thing sinced sliced bacta in Star Wars, but the tech from 40K works on a totally different principle.
Agian its up to you to provided quotes and evidance for this, I know you can but I want SPECFIC quotes
They dont come into contact with the shields, they go outside reality then re-enter it inside the shields.
One does the same thing when entering Hyperspace and Subspace. One goes outside Reality as we know it every time we exceded the speed of light.
Subspace I won't go into but Hyperspace I will. Hyperspace is affected by Gravity and SW shielding. When in the pressance of enough Gravity the drives auto-cut out to avoided damage to the drive. One can cut out the saftys and go THROUGH intensive Gravitys, however the engines rappidly overheat and begin to fraqture from Stress. It has however been prove possible to travel *THROUGH plant sized object(Ref The Correllien Trilogy) but the shock will completly destroy the Engines

However Shielding still reacts and unlike Gravity which damages the drives slowly, Shielding give them a Brick Wall to smash into

Joe Richter
Redshirt

Post by Joe Richter »

Mr Bean wrote:100% Communcation Block when the shields up hows that one?

OK, how about this one; the warp is a dimension of shifting psychic potential and disconected emotions. Every being is linked in some way to the warp. The closest allagory to this in SW is not, I believe, hyperspace but in fact the force. Do SW shields block force powers or perceptions?

I thought not.

Using this line of reasoning, I would think we would be forced to believe that SW shieds would be no hinderence to Shokk attack guns ( or any other warp based technology, such as Ork tellyporters, Imperial teleporters, Imperial warp missles and grenades, Eldar D cannons and Warp spiders etc). Two possible defences would in fact be Ysalmari (drape a lot around any critical structure) or enough force users (could they cause enough disturbance in the warp to render these weapons less effective/non-effective?).