Common wealth verus Empire

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Lanceomega

Common wealth verus Empire

Post by Lanceomega »

How would The Empire fare against the System commonwealth and there Kinetic kill weapons, especially in light about Wong shield entries describing how effective attack compare to energy weapons..
Lancer omega

Post by Lancer omega »

excuse the last post, must have had a brain bug. What I wanted to say is, Mike wong recentily posted that it very difficult to defend against hi velocity impact attacks using shielding technology, so how would the Empire fare against the system common wealth, who uses Kinectic kill missile from distances of several light minutes..

also the fact that the system common wealth has the resources of several galaxies to draw from compare to the Empires one...

Any ideas? :?: :?:
Sokar
Jedi Master

Commonwealth vrs Empire

Post by Sokar »

Hmmm.....interesting.
I think that the Commonwealth's(CW) kinetic kill weaponry would at first give Imperial warships and especially fighters a serious headache. the CW's use of mass quantities of war drones and slipstream(Andromeda Hyperdrive) capable fighters would play havoc with TIE squadrons and cee fractional missile strikes yould probably do serious damage to even an ISD. At time on Andromeda we've seen missile salvos numbering into the thousands of individual warheads(not counting thoes nasty MIRV'ed weapons used by the Restors), ex. the Battle of the Witch Head Nebula. CW Warships , which are designed to fight and survive in this enviroment have excellent K-kill protection(Heavy armor, sophisticated point defence and a CIC and EW suite not to be believed), but lack even the most rudimentary of the Empires shield tech, that first salvo of HTL fire would tear bloody holes in the CW fleet in short order , however the Isd's have to reach the CW fleet first through shoals of missiles.
BotM

Post by Guest »

If you mean before the fall of the Commonwealth here are the numbers of the fleet.

XMC (Glorious Heritage class Heavy Cruiser) around 105,000
DSA (Righteous Fist of Heaven class Deep Stand-off Attack Ship) around 420,000
GDF (Pride of Kaldera class Group Defense Frigate) around 1,764,000
AAC (Siege Perilous class Atmospheric Attack Carrier)around 21,000
DSC (Victory's Crucible class Drop Ship Carrier) around 189,000

Can't remember who posted those numbers, from what all i know it could be nothing but a fan made numbers. I better check for info.
At least we can safely say SCW did at least have 100,000 ships stated by Dylan Hunt.
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Thes have to be fan made....100,000 Andromedas! Nay I say , if they had that kind of strenght the Nietzchians(sp?) could never have pulled off their insurrection. The majority of the Drago-Katzoff Pride Fleet was at the Battle of Witchhead Neabula and it only numbered 5,000 vessels (Capital ships and fighters) , even after the Andromeda slew most of them , the staggered survivors were still enough to overwhelm the remaining SCW warships, which numbered at that point at just over a hundred and preping for a suicide strike on Fountainhead , the Nietzchian homeworld.
BotM

Post by Guest »

You mean when Andromeda went back in time in the sixth episode, if you do than you are wrong.
It was not 5000 ships that was 1500 ships. Dylan destroyed 1000 of those ships, and the 500 ships that survived battled the SC remnant fleet of 100 ships.

Post by Guest »

No edit button?

Dylan said they were up against 10,000 Neitchan(sp?) ships in the first episode.
And in the end or the beginning of the second episode he sayed they had 10 times that number of ships and hundred times the manpower.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

The High Guard has 300 000 ships, not millions.
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Ahem.

Perhaps you have not read the description of the forum carefully.
Talk about other sci-fi series without "versus" arguments.
I trust this is adequately clear.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Indeed, let us behave until Mike makes some mods
Sokar
Jedi Master

Fair enough :-)

Post by Sokar »

Ah...my bad , it is only 1500 ships at Witchhead :roll:
BotM
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Re: Fair enough :-)

Sokar wrote:Ah...my bad , it is only 1500 ships at Witchhead :roll:

I know! What a horrible mistake! Be ashamed :wink:
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
the lancer that was omega

sorry.......

Post by the lancer that was omega »

:twisted: My mistake, like i said before i was infected by brain bugs... But it an interesting idea. Once the Trekkies are brought to their knees, the Empire need a new Galaxy to turn our attention to.

Post by Guest »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:The High Guard has 300 000 ships, not millions.
300,000 ships would not be enough to protect multiple galaxies.
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Anonymous wrote:
That's just the High Guard. The Home Guard would be much larger.
「かかっ―」
Falcon
Fundamentalist Moron

Post by Falcon »

It would seem to me that the Commonwealth has the same big advantage over the empire that the empire has over the Federation (and its motly crew), speed. Being able to quickly travel between galaxies is even more impressive than being able to traverse one galaxy quickly. Also, the Empire needs massive numbers of troops, to b supplied via a)cloning, or b)recruit n' train The Commonwealth and its thinking ships require a crew of a few or none. It is also stated that the Andromeda can easily obliterate a planet, but I havn't seen this demonstrated (havn't seen all the series, so I might be missing some stuff here). If it can dish out that much damage then anything it would have trouble destroying (other high guard ships were supposedly stronger than Andromeda) would be able to withstand planet destroying bombardment.
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

<snip>
Last edited by IDMR on 2002-07-05 12:16am, edited 1 time in total.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

AHEM

This is NOT the SD.net bbs equivalent to SB's vs. board. I suggest that you comply with Mike's forum description, which I shall post here once more.
Talk about other sci-fi series without "versus" arguments.

Typhonis 1

Post by Typhonis 1 »

What was said was that the Andromeda could deliver enough nukes, 20 megatoners I believe , to the surface of a planet to wipe out all life on it.a far cry from destroying it which the DS1 did. Also whos said that the Andromeda COULD sustain repeated 20 megaton hits? and I think it was on the order of 40 tubes firing 8 missles a second .though I could be wrong
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

This is NOT a vs. debate board.

Thread closed.

(Wait... I don't have mod powers!)

David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

haha you don't. hope he makes some soon
DodoBrd16
Padawan Learner

The High Guard was spread out over three galaxies.

Post by DodoBrd16 »

Thats spreading it awufly thin... especially since Slip stream is not an exact science during the best of times and you can never be sure when you will reach your destination.

Add on the the Niets had a few things on their side... they were spread out all over Common wealth territory and when they rebelled, they ALL rebelled(sp), well most of them did. This knocked the CW forces off balance seriously since they didnt know where to concentrate their forces...which were spread out over three galaxies.

Also, the Niets had combat experiance, they had fought off numerous Magog attacks, where as the CW...hasnt truely fought anyone for a good amount of time....

Lastly, the Niets had many of their people revolt that were in the High Guard, they caused a great deal of confusion and damage that way, and stole alot of valuable equipment as well.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Anonymous wrote:

It is when you only have a million planets.
Bender and God, Futurama
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

XaLEv wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

And this Home Guard is mentioned WHEN? :o
Bender and God, Futurama
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

XaLEv wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Yep, Captain Mainwaring and the boys would soon put Johnny Nietzhian in his place.
:D