What is Eywa's plan?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: What is Eywa's plan?

Post by Solauren »

NecronLord wrote: 2022-12-25 04:51am We've not been told anything significant about them that I know of no. If I were the RDA I would be very concerned that USB planet is the experiment of a superior technology species though, yes.
They ignores that possibility when the science staff mentioned that Pandora was basically a big computer in the first movie.

I'd estimate they either
1) - Don't care
2)- It hasn't clued into them yet
3)- They are desperate enough they're ignoring it, and hoping the more advanced species is gone or doesn't notice them.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'm gonna quote PeZook from FB:
RDA fanboys don't seem to realize that the opening to Avatar 2 hammers home even more the absurdity of the idea that humanity is suffering from any kind of energy shortage.

Turns out they can relatively casually send a whole FLEET of interstellar vessels from Earth ALL AT THE SAME TIME, including building and being able to fuel entirely new designs.

Within ~15 years they generated the energy to do that, thousands upon thousands more than we've used up as a species until 2021. Enough to run 20 billion American households for ten thousand years, PER SHIP. Multiple ships. Enough juice to launch billions (yes, BILLIONS) of tons of material to low-Earth orbit.

And yet we're supposed to believe they're desperate and dying out, somehow?
The RDA is just Elon Musk
Pre-Pandora: "At the RDA, we will save the world by building stupid, impractical ultra-fast trains. This way you will not have to suffer the filthy poors in your nice neighborhoods - they will be able to commute between continents!"

First Pandora expedition: "Here at the RDA we are committed to novel technological solutions: namely, spending insane amounts of energy at digging up precious minerals, so that not a single human being on Earth will have to alter their lifestyle in any way."

Second Pandora expedition: "We uh we will...move everyone to Mars...I mean Pandora. Yes. Just move everyone to another planet and all our problems will be solved! It will cost us literally a million times more energy than it took to build our entire civilization but we PROMISE it will be TOTALLY different this time. Namely, this time God-Emperor Elon Musk will decide who gets mask filters and who doesn't."

CORRECTION: A million times more energy than it took us to build our entire civilization is lowballed. Closer to a billion times, and only if the RDA itends to move just the richest elites (which, let's be honest, is probably the actual plan)
Just as I predicted, RDA fanboys are COMPLETELY unable to read between the lines: they watched Avatar 2 (after raging that they never will lol) and just...bought the general's line about the RDA saving humanity, even though we later get an IN YOUR FACE scene showing that they're actually just exploiting the local resources for money, exactly like they were before.

But as long as a uniformed American military person tells them otherwise, they'll just treat it as gospel.

And I wish they only approached movies this way, but they definitely don't limit themselves just to entertainment.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-12-22 05:31pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-22 11:32am Then there is the issue of whatever makes Pandora's atmosphere toxic to humans. I forget what that is, so I'm not sure if it's from a biological or geological source.
Why can’t humans breathe in Pandora?
The high concentration of carbon dioxide in the Pandoran atmosphere makes it extremely poisonous to humans, rendering them unconscious in about 20 seconds and causing death in about 4 minutes when they venture out unprotected by specialized breathing masks.
In addition to the approximately 18% carbon dioxide there is also slightly greater than 1% hydrogen sulfide. Given that 800 ppm is the LD50 for humans, and 1000 ppm causes immediate collapse and loss of breathing in a human being even 1% would be a big problem. It's also the reason the Pandora breathing masks cover the entire face including the eyes, as 1% is more than sufficient to cause eye damage in people.

In theory, more plants might bring down the CO2 concentration to something humans can deal with (under 5%? Don't remember exactly), but that still leaves the problem of the H2S. I'm not at all certain how you'd scrub that out of the air, and if you can't do that you'll never have large-scale terrestrial animal life. Maybe a massive seeding of bacteria/archae that utilize the chemical for energy, but I have no idea how long it would take for that to work, and some of those species don't tolerate oxygen, which Pandora also has in abundance.

I found it interesting that the only Pandoran life forms we see moving about in an Earth atmophere are either the Avatars or the half-Avatar children. Is that because the admixture of human traits gives them greater tolerance to Earth atmosphere? They still apparently need some sort of supplementation, but certainly they tolerate Earth air much better than humans tolerate Pandoran air.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Solauren wrote: 2022-12-22 04:12pm Actually, they raises an in-universe question - Have they found any other planets that would be suitable?
Even if they've found them there's still the problem of getting to them - Pandora is in the closest star system to Earth and it takes, what, 5 years to get there?

There may be other habitable planets out there but they're likely much, much further away.
Ralin wrote: 2022-12-23 09:28pm If overpopulation and limited resources are the problem it should still be way easier to kill a bunch of people on Earth.
NecronLord wrote: 2022-12-23 09:36pm It's also easier to build them on Mars, or Titan, or anywhere else, than the one environment with an actively malicious ecosystem they know of.]

Entirely killing off Pandora's ecosystem and then resettling the planet would cost at least as much as just settling any other random planet.
That does seem to be one of the unspoken flaws in all this. If humans can build functional habitats on Pandora for humans then why can't they do that on Earth?

My theory is that there is a group of elites/oligarchs/whatever screwing up the Earth environment due to resource extraction and accumulating wealth, damn the consequences, who are probably already living in sealed environments for the most part who would love to take over Pandora for themselves, leaving the teeming masses on Earth to struggle (and they'll probably continue to extract wealth from Earth) and only importing properly docile servants for their new home. Given the expense of reaching Pandora it will also solve the problem of those pesky Earth people figuring out a way to throw rocks at the elites from orbit.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-12-24 11:18pm Of course, this is assuming Eywa *can* plan. That "she" *can* think ahead, and not just react to the feedback from the Navi and other 'children'.
Yep. Just because Eywa can "think" doesn't mean she thinks like us, or like Na'vi. We don't know what her perception of time is like - perhaps the entire time humans have been on Pandora has just been an eye blink to her. Or perhaps it's been ages. We just don't know.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Solauren wrote: 2022-12-26 10:43am
NecronLord wrote: 2022-12-25 04:51am We've not been told anything significant about them that I know of no. If I were the RDA I would be very concerned that USB planet is the experiment of a superior technology species though, yes.
They ignores that possibility when the science staff mentioned that Pandora was basically a big computer in the first movie.

I'd estimate they either
1) - Don't care
2)- It hasn't clued into them yet
3)- They are desperate enough they're ignoring it, and hoping the more advanced species is gone or doesn't notice them.
One thing I've noticed is that the humans who actually live and work in the Pandoran environment and don't just stay in the human habitats tend to have a LOT more respect for the Pandoran life than those living entirely within a protective bubble. You see this with the tulkun hunters - yes, they have high powered technology and organization, but they avoid killing tulkan where they know it will provoke the Na'vi, and they cut a solitary one, or just a mother and calf, from the herd rather than taking on an entire pod of enormous, intelligent creatures. They're assholes, but they're smart enough to know that the native life has an advantage of numbers, and the native life is also smart. You even see this with Quarritch in both movies - he's a killer, but he doesn't underestimate the native life.

I suspect the further removed a human is from actual Pandoran interactions the more likely they are to gloss over the fact they're facing intelligent adversaries, and that would include ignoring that the planet has a certain overall consciousness.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-01-03 09:21amOne thing I've noticed is that the humans who actually live and work in the Pandoran environment and don't just stay in the human habitats tend to have a LOT more respect for the Pandoran life than those living entirely within a protective bubble. You see this with the tulkun hunters - yes, they have high powered technology and organization, but they avoid killing tulkan where they know it will provoke the Na'vi, and they cut a solitary one, or just a mother and calf, from the herd rather than taking on an entire pod of enormous, intelligent creatures. They're assholes, but they're smart enough to know that the native life has an advantage of numbers, and the native life is also smart. You even see this with Quarritch in both movies - he's a killer, but he doesn't underestimate the native life.

I suspect the further removed a human is from actual Pandoran interactions the more likely they are to gloss over the fact they're facing intelligent adversaries, and that would include ignoring that the planet has a certain overall consciousness.
I think this is an important part of future Nu-Quarritch's character arc where he's still a fuckface but he also doesn't give a shit about OG Quarritch and he is shown to have the beginnings of a journey akin to Jake Sully such as taming the ekran... but evil. Maybe he goes full Kurtz in Pandora and starts thinking that only those who can survive the test of its harsh environment are worthy and creates a new society of psychos.
My theory is that there is a group of elites/oligarchs/whatever screwing up the Earth environment due to resource extraction and accumulating wealth, damn the consequences, who are probably already living in sealed environments for the most part who would love to take over Pandora for themselves, leaving the teeming masses on Earth to struggle (and they'll probably continue to extract wealth from Earth) and only importing properly docile servants for their new home. Given the expense of reaching Pandora it will also solve the problem of those pesky Earth people figuring out a way to throw rocks at the elites from orbit.
Maybe the Avatar series conclusion will have the mega-oligarch RDA owner who promises Earth that he will build colonies on Mars Pandora go nuts and have a breakdown as he purchases an interstellar holo-social-network company and makes an assclown of himself online while bankrupting RDA's stonks. James Cameron creates a brilliant 3 hour CG tweet thread between said RDA owner oligarch versus Jake Sully and the Na'vi who own him online then IDK the mega-trillionaire goes to some standup show and gets booed or arrowed by the audience that's inexplicably Na'vi.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Dang, Shroom, I've missed your inimitable posting style. Welcome back!