DW: The Power Of The Doctor (SPOILERS)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

DW: The Power Of The Doctor (SPOILERS)

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm not kidding major spoilers, but I've already mentioned them in another thread. (But also a bit a recap and run down of guest Doctor/Companion appearances)

So this is the final adventure of the Thirteenth Doctor and also the programme's celebration for the BBC's 100th anniversary.

It is busy, it's got all the Doctor's biggest enemies to Whit in ascending order of significance, The Daleks, The Cybermen and The Master. I must admit I'd trailed off watching this Doctor during their first series, so I'd not encountered this Master before and he is hella obnoxious.

He's set up lots of crisis in different time period (And impersonated Rasputin for no apparent reason other than to play Boney-M) to lure in and capture the Doctor and to destroy them completely and utterly by using time lord tech to force a regeneration.

You think you can do that just by killing them? Well what this machine does is allow you to control what you get out of it. So the Master takes over the Doctor's body by forcing them to regenerate in to him.

And the Doctor has a fail safe that guides her companions past and present into reversing that process, but after the Day is save the Master hits here with it again resulting in her regeneration into... David Tennant. (Ugh).

Okay I still think the ending is stupid but I watched it so I could know what I was complaining about and... I kind of liked it? It's too busy. I hate the Master. I think the plan is stupid.

But on the other hand they did the anniversary aspect, really really well and eschewed modern references other than from Thirteen's run, in favour of classic ones and despite not having seen many classic episodes there were such obvious heart in Seven/Ace and Five/Tegan's performances that it really really worked.

We see many past companions at the end, even one of the very first companions (the actor is 97 so it's sitting in a seat with a couple of lines but even that's impressive at the age). We seen Doctors Five, Six, Seven, Eight, and the modern casting of One as figments of Thirteen's mind and Five and Seven as holograms that interact with their respective companions and if they were the real deal leading the moments I mention above.

Once I stopped thinking about it I enjoyed the ride.

As to the end, well it was another 'forced' regeneration, so I guess that's going to be while fourteen = ten. Given what the past Doctors were saying it really shouldn't be Ten back, he's gone over the edge of the psyche or whatever. But forced Regeneration does let your psyche be over written with another person's so I guess you could handwave as being Ten back. We can only wait and see.