Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave in 2022

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave in 2022

Post by Crazedwraith »

BBC Link
Jodie Whittaker is to step down from the lead role in Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed.

The first woman to play the Time Lord will bow out in Autumn 2022, along with showrunner Chris Chibnall.

Whittaker will star in a new six-part series later this year, and three specials next year, before she exits.

In a statement, Whittaker paid tribute to Chibnall and the Doctor Who team, adding: "I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever."

Chibnall, who appointed the actress to replace Peter Capaldi in the role, has been in charge of the BBC One series since 2017.

It has not yet been announced who will take over from Whittaker in the leading role.

"In 2017 I opened my glorious gift box of size 13 shoes," Whittaker said in a statement. "I could not have guessed the brilliant adventures, worlds and wonders I was to see in them."

She continued: "My heart is so full of love for this show, for the team who make it, for the fans who watch it and for what it has brought to my life."

"And I cannot thank Chris enough for entrusting me with his incredible stories. We knew that we wanted to ride this wave side by side, and pass on the baton together. So here we are, weeks away from wrapping on the best job I have ever had. I don't think I'll ever be able to express what this role has given me. I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever.

"I know change can be scary and none of us know what's out there. That's why we keep looking. Travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you. Constantly."

For her final series, Whittaker will once again be joined by Mandip Gill as Yaz, and comedian John Bishop, who will play a new character named Dan.

The 13th Doctor's first episode in October 2018 was watched by 11.5m viewers, in the sci-fi drama's biggest audience for almost a decade. It was also the biggest show of that week, ahead of Strictly Come Dancing and the Great British Bake Off.

But the show's ratings have dropped in recent years. Whittaker's last episode, broadcast in January, attracted a consolidated audience of 6.3 million.

While many have praised Whittaker's casting, some fans and critics have criticised the show's recent narrative direction.

The Telegraph described recent episodes as "flat, worthy and woke" despite Whittaker's talent as an actress, while The Sun reported viewers were left furious by the show's "unbearable political correctness".

One of the long-running drama's unique features has been regeneration, where the Doctor completely changes their physical appearance, allowing the show to recast its lead role every few years.

Chibnall is currently writing and producing the next series of Doctor Who, which will air later this year. It will be followed by three specials, the first of which will be broadcast on New Year's Day 2022, with another later in spring 2022.

Whittaker's final feature-length special, where the 13th Doctor will regenerate, will transmit in autumn 2022 as part of the BBC's Centenary celebrations.

Speculation will now turn to who Whittaker's replacement might be, as Doctor Who approaches its 60th anniversary in 2023.

As well as introducing Whittaker as the first female Doctor, Chibnall also brought in Tosin Cole as Ryan, Mandip Gill (Yaz) and Bradley Walsh (Graham).

Episodes such as Rosa, Demons of the Punjab and Spyfall thrilled audiences, and netted the show two Bafta Must See Moment nominations, along with multiple National Television Award, Bafta Cymru, TV Choice and Critics Choice nominations.

In 2020, Whittaker was voted second most popular Doctor of all-time in a poll of 50,000 fans for the Radio Times, losing out to David Tennant.

'Three seasons and out'
Chibnall said: "Jodie and I made a 'three series and out' pact with each other at the start of this once-in-a-lifetime blast. So now our shift is done, and we're handing back the Tardis keys.

"Jodie's magnificent, iconic Doctor has exceeded all our high expectations. She's been the gold standard leading actor, shouldering the responsibility of being the first female Doctor with style, strength, warmth, generosity and humour."

He added: "She captured the public imagination and continues to inspire adoration around the world, as well as from everyone on the production.

"I can't imagine working with a more inspiring Doctor - so I'm not going to!"
Hmm. Half length final series and some specials. That arguably gives her the shortest tenure since Eccleston. Bit sad to bow out just before the 60th anniversary though.

I watched most of her first series and they were fine but not great. Putting it on sunday and me being too lazy to find in on iPlayer meant I missed a few. Not a great recommendation but then there were episodes of Smith's and Capaldi's run that were so awful (The Snowmen and Dark Water/Death In Heaven specifically) that were so bad that I actively decided not to watch them, Though I did see them on netflix eventually.

If feels like a slightly ignominious end to her run though.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker and Chris Chibnall to leave in 2022

Post by Broomstick »

I like Jodie Whittaker.

I did not, however, become a fan of Chibnall's show-running. At best he was good, but not great. Moffat had some stinkers but once in awhile he could really hit one out of the ballpark, and he averaged good.

Obviously that's all my opinion. Feel free to differ.

I think Whittaker could have done even better with better writing.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-07-29 04:23pm I think Whittaker could have done even better with better writing.
Right on the money with that one.

She's a talented actress, but unfortunately, she was given 'C to B list' material to work with, while people are expecting 'A list' quality stuff to be produced.

Combine that with butt-hurt fan-boy whinning.....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Can we have Jo Martin as the Fourteenth Doctor?

She's already played the Doctor (un-numbered regeneration) so anyone arguing a black woman can't do can just fuck off.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I’m kinda wishing that the show takes another rest for awhile - 2005-2022 is still a good second run, far more than most shows get.

Then come back after a few years with a another fresh start and outlook.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-07-30 04:07pm Can we have Jo Martin as the Fourteenth Doctor?

She's already played the Doctor (un-numbered regeneration) so anyone arguing a black woman can't do can just fuck off.
Well she'll be at a loose end now that Holby City's days are numbered, I can't say her cameo in the role was much good however.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It wasn't like she was given a lot to do during that cameo

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Jodie's run had some ups and downs like her predecessors, but overall I thought she was awesome and I'll miss her alot. I hope she makes a cameo for the 60th and contributes to future DW media.

On a side note, I caught a series called "Broadchurch", a police murder investigation series starring David Tennant. And early on guess who else was in it? Jodie Whittaker as the mother of the deceased. She's a great actor, love her to death. Hell, come to think of it, there were quite a few DW actors since it was produced by Chris Chibnall so it's got that connection.

Equally enjoyable were her companions, especially Graham, another awesome actor I caught in the UK version of Law and Order, he's like the British version of Lenny Briscoe.

I'm hoping to see another appearance by The Master before she regenerates into...what are we coming up on 15 regenerations now? Wow...
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If I recall, at least one was a body snatching and not a regeneration in the "Keeper Of Traken"

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Darth Lucifer wrote: 2021-07-31 08:42pm Jodie's run had some ups and downs like her predecessors, but overall I thought she was awesome and I'll miss her alot. I hope she makes a cameo for the 60th and contributes to future DW media.
Its a bit early to miss her given there's still about a third of her run before she actually leaves.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Clarification: I will miss her when she's gone, i know she's got more episodes

Like the avatar...as it was with Ten, Fifth was MY doctor because he was my first.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Mine has to be Tennant, I didn't really start watching DW until the 2005 revival. Technically it would be Eccleston but because he fucked off after less than three months I don't count him, all the other numbered doctors had tenures measured in years.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Personally I think that one of the main problems with the thirteenth Doctor was the reduction to the ten episodes a year format, which doesn't suit Doctor Who as a series.
Having recently rewatched the episode Rosa Parks I saw another problem. Before mentioning it I remind people that Doctor Who started as a sort of educational show featuring Roman and Aztecs, as well as SF things like daleks.

Recently we had the excellent time travel series Timeless which unfortunately was cancelled after two seasons. It had episodes similar to Rosa Parks where issues in the past were explored. The big difference is that Timeless had a serious approach, whereas the Doctor was far too jovial in the episode. This spoilt the impact, as well as making an inferior story treatment. The following episode set in the partition of India and Pakistan was much better as it was more serious and therefore more respectful.

I have no problem with humour in a story, in fact I love it, but it has to fit in with the stories it is in.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I will echo what others have said that Whittaker as the Doctor was great, but the writing really let her down.

Also, I am still pissed about that last season finale with the Master and the Cybermen. The story itself was ok-ish - but seriously, they spent the entire 50th anniversary special to find a way to restore/not burn Gallifrey...and the Master then wipes it out off-screen? Yeah, nope, not happy.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I found the thirteenth Doctor's companions more interesting than the Doctor herself. I barely managed to watch Whittaker's first season and special. Didn't bother with the rest. I'll probably buy the box set after she leaves.

I have nothing against Jodie, but there's no emotional investment with her Doctor (from the episodes I've seen).
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Follow up: They are bringing back RTD to run it again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58682472

Ffs. Next thing they'll regenerate them back into David Tennant.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Bugger. Why bother.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Bother about what?

Regenerating into David Tennant? I doubt it - Tennant has moved on to other things. I'd expect him on a multi-doctor episode, but don't see a Tennant Doctor II in the works.

Bring back RTD? It would be an improvement over Chibnall, who I do not think was a good showrunner.

Unfortunate - I think Whittaker gave it her all, but the writing hampered her. With better writing her run would have been much better.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-09-24 07:48pm Ffs. Next thing they'll regenerate them back into David Tennant.
I WAS JOKING FFS.

:banghead:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2022-10-23 05:01pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2021-09-24 07:48pm Ffs. Next thing they'll regenerate them back into David Tennant.
I WAS JOKING FFS.

:banghead:
Do NOT tell me they did that. PLEASE do not tell me they did that.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

i'm afraid I can't do that Tevar.
Spoiler
Tennant is the 14th Doctor appearing in three specials for the 60th Anniversary Next year. Ncuti Gatwa will be the 15th Doctor.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-10-23 06:12pm Do NOT tell me they did that. PLEASE do not tell me they did that.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"