How would SW combat droids be implemented into various era of USA conflicts

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: How would SW combat droids be implemented into various era of USA conflicts

Post by Batman »

Imagine those aircraft never getting off the ground because of all of the additional weight and drag of the droids
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

GuppyShark wrote: 2021-06-22 12:04am Battledroid-crewed submarines would be pretty formidable for the time.
Yes and no, while battledroids should suffer for the tight spaces as much as humans, they cannot convert diesel subs to work without oxygen (they most limiting factor for subs were the engines not the crew).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Lord Revan wrote: 2021-06-22 04:51pm
GuppyShark wrote: 2021-06-22 12:04am Battledroid-crewed submarines would be pretty formidable for the time.
Yes and no, while battledroids should suffer for the tight spaces as much as humans, they cannot convert diesel subs to work without oxygen (they most limiting factor for subs were the engines not the crew).

Redesign the subs to take advantage of the battle droids lack of need for supplies or space, and you can increase the oxygen supplies for the engines.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Which would likely require the design and building of an entirely new class of sub with all the time consumption that entails
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

there's also the fact that early (as in WWI and WWII) didn't really carry oxygen in tanks on-board but rather got it from the air either thru regular in-takes on the surface or thru snorkels (in late WWII and today) while diving (though there's a limit how deep you can make those) and used limited battery power when diving so deep they couldn't get air from above.

Thing is that the powers in question gain access to battledroids and the means to make them not general SW level tech if I understood the OP correctly. meaning any modifications would have to done based on pre-existing tech.

As for Nuclear powered subs the difference is minimal (bare in mind that droids can break and need maintenance as well, they don't have ability to ignore logistics it just takes a different form).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

This is basically a partial derailment, but I think we'll see the effect of battle droids in our modern era if we just wait a few more years.

I mean, looking at this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn3KWM1kuAw

..I find it difficult to fathom that no one in the US DoD, or any other military in the world, isn't immediately wondering when they can start fielding "unmanned infantry" (I can't think of a better term).
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star