Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy on Netflix

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy on Netflix

Post by Galvatron »

Anyone else see this yet? I just binged the six half-hour episodes of chapter one. It's another reboot, but this time it's essentially the original cartoon with the benefit of 35 years of hindsight. It's also quite grimdark for Transformers.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81002438

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/trans ... on_trilogy

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Transformers: War for Cybertron Trilogy on Netflix

Post by Solauren »

Binged it, enjoyed it. I want more figures for repaints now :)

I don't see what anyone has been complaining about online. Transformers has always been 'my toys fighting with each other'. It's supposed to be a little corny!
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

The first part is going to be a bit dark. Before getting to Earth the Decepticons have basically won and the Autobots are forced to escape in the Ark.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Which is basically the same premise as the pilot episode of the 1984 cartoon: Cybertron's energy is exhausted and the Autobots are verging on extinction.

https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/111770/s01_ ... e_eye_part_
darth_timon
Padawan Learner

Post by darth_timon »

It looks quite good. Anything to purge the memory of the Bay films.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok, updating this.

We've had TWO Seasons of this so far, "Siege" and "EarthRise". There's a LOT of grey morality on both sides, but the characters are strong and well-written despite the lack of shiny Good/Evil. Their character designs reflect this as well -- no shiny chrome here, but worn-down battle-damage on all sides, especially Cybertron itself.

"Siege" was completely on Cybertron, set in the last dying days as Megatron rules, and the Autobots are a small minority trying to survive. Attempts are made to salvage Cybertron, to create a final chance at Peace. We all know that outcome, and Optimus makes a hard choice: Give Megatron the AllSpark, or Remove it from Cybertron (dooming the planet to slow death). Sometimes, there's no choice between ways to die. "Siege" ends with the supposed destruction of the fleeing Ark.

"EarthRise" splits between Cybertron and the Ark. Elita-1 is still fighting, as she decided not to leave with Optimus because while she loves him, she couldn't agree with his decision. Shockwave is building the Nemesis for Megatron, and making Entirely Logical Actions to drain every bit of Energon he can ... and Megatron is forced to choice which is more important, his followers or Nemesis. Elita-1 discovers how Shockwave is getting the Energon, and plans to bomb the Arena to stop him. What she doesn't know, is Megatron has already gone.
The Ark is found by Double-Dealer and his mercenaries, and all are taken captive. They escape, and find the AllSpark is literally on the other side of the galaxy. Their only hope is a Spacebridge nearby, which is somehow still functional. We find out why, and also why it was abandoned, as Doubledealer informs Megatron where to find the Ark. Thus, the Nemesis finds the Spacebridge, and once again Autobot and Decepticon are in conflict. The Spacebridge is destroyed, and both Optimus and Megatron have to find ways to escape, while meeting figures with information that will affect the future. Doubledealer catches up, and ships crash and burn...
... and a very familiar-looking Velociraptor is seen, with the crashed Ark seen as a reflection in its eyes.
Spoiler
According to an article quoting the creators, YES the Velociraptor is DINOBOT. The Maximals and Predicons will be in the final season's fight for the AllSpark.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

If you'd been paying attention to the toys, you'd have already known that. On that note, the current 'WFC' toyline, Kingdom, well, the Beast Wars figures are pretty kick ass. I can't wait to get my Titan Class Scorponok as well. (Fort Max is getting kinda smug.....)

Now, the big question is - How are these versions of the Maximals and Predacons going to tie in? Originally, they were the time traveling descendants of the Autobots and Decepticons. What are they now?

My three suggestions on that are:

1 - They're refuges from earlier in the War on Cybertron, that adapted beast modes.
The only issue would be Megatron (BW) and Optimus Primal (BW). Why you would take the names of leaders you're fleeing from is beyond me.

2 - They're still the time traveling descendents of the various factions from the future.
In this case, Beast Wars Megatron still traveled back to assassinate Optimus Prime when he was in stasis lock, but overshot the mark by an unknown amount of time.
One Beast-Megatron realized this, he fortified to wait for the Ark to arrive and crash, to carry out his mission.

3 - They Autobots and Decepticons from "War for Cybetron" crossed into a different timestream (which is a thing in Transformers canon), possibly a different 'universal timestream group' (which is how the various individual tv show/movieverses and their subvariants are grouped).
Specifically, they just landed in the original Beast Wars cartoon, and created a new hybrid timeline by doing so.

Proof that's a thing in canon
Transformers Timestreams
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I've not paid attention to the toy lines since I was 15 and "discovered boys weren't icky".

I'm also curious how they're going to work BeastWars in. Since Scorponox claimed he was the last of other creations of the Quintessons, that's one way they can run it. Follow the idea of Quintessons recreating Cybertronian life, and you can have Optimus Primal and Megatron (Megatronus was the name of one of the first Primes in some histories).
I'm thinking they're going to lead that way because they showed the planet on the other side of the SpaceBridge as organic plant life over ruins. Assuming that's Scorponox' home planet that the Quintessons abandoned after killing all the other 'bots, that would allow for the Maximals/Predacons to be on an organic (not-Earth?) planet with organic forms.

The question: is it to protect from Energon overload as in BW?
If the Autobots/Decepticons need organic forms to protect from Energon Overload as in BW, then there's your Optimus/Megatron.

Or. Time Travel.
Which would totally break BeastWars timeline, but then again we had Galvatron/Cyclonus slip 'back' to try to change Megatron's future, and Megs did rip the Matrix out of Optimus' chest. Has the future already changed?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Well, the Quints did have a thing for making Beast mode transformers after they lost Cybertron. My current 'canon-theory' is they are the source of all the G1 beast-mode bots that showed up with the Decepticons in Season 3 onward. (Either Beast-bots that rebelled against the Quints or joined the Decepticons, or ones the Quints built to keep Galvatron from murdering them all).