Will the next Guardians of the Galaxy film address Star Lord's fuckup on Titan?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Will the next Guardians of the Galaxy film address Star Lord's fuckup on Titan?

Post by Gandalf »

Pretty much what was in the title. The group of people on Titan had pretty much beaten Thanos until Star Lord decided to punch Thanos for a bit. For a split second Spiderman has the gauntlet until Thanos grabs it back. Thanos went on to turn half of the universe to dust.

I know MCU has a history of ignoring its hero's problematic actions, but will this be addressed?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: Will the next Guardians of the Galaxy film address Star Lord's fuckup on Titan?

Post by LadyTevar »

I'm pretty sure someone'll bring it up. Most likely Rocket, bitching about how they had it until Peter fucked it up
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Will the next Guardians of the Galaxy film address Star Lord's fuckup on Titan?

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Gamora currently with the Guardians is *not* the Gamora they know-- she's from *before* the original Gamora met the Guardians. OG Gamora is dead, in SoulWorld.

They also left a huge dangling teaser of the Adam Warlock cocoon at the end of GotG2.

It's early enough though that I don't see much sense in trying to speculate about the inevitable GotG3, though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-07-08 05:55pm Pretty much what was in the title. The group of people on Titan had pretty much beaten Thanos until Star Lord decided to punch Thanos for a bit. For a split second Spiderman has the gauntlet until Thanos grabs it back. Thanos went on to turn half of the universe to dust.

I know MCU has a history of ignoring its hero's problematic actions, but will this be addressed?
Probably. Even Tony Stark's actions got addressed when you really get down to it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Probably Tev's take on it.

Not sure why you think this is something that needs to be specifically called out. He did something dumb that had horrible consequences because he went into a rage when he found out the guy in front of him killed a loved one. Yeah that's a fuck up, but it's not 'problematic' or a character flaw.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf has rather absolutist views. He says Tony should have died in Civil War ignoring that the man has a lot of positive qualities (repeatedly willing to die or endanger himself to save others, showing genuine care towards his friends and earth) or that things aren’t cut and dry (Wanda would have to be prosecuted as well for ultron).

He’s not as bad as K A Pital (who cheerfully ignores that Killmonger being portrayed as evil is NOT racist) but I suspect Gandalf has a massive chip on his shoulder and it influences how he sees things.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Ralin wrote: 2020-08-09 02:42am Probably Tev's take on it.

Not sure why you think this is something that needs to be specifically called out. He did something dumb that had horrible consequences because he went into a rage when he found out the guy in front of him killed a loved one. Yeah that's a fuck up, but it's not 'problematic' or a character flaw.
In Endgame we see the survivors (especially Thor) have to live through five odd years of living in an horrific sort of post apocalyptic world. A universe put through hell because Star Lord couldn't keep his shit together in a life or death situation. While I agree it's not a huge character flaw, it had massive effects, and when last we saw him he's on a ship with people who survived that incident. Whether the film condemns him or no, it seems like something that should at least come up.
Darth Yan wrote: 2020-08-09 06:33am Gandalf has rather absolutist views. He says Tony should have died in Civil War ignoring that the man has a lot of positive qualities (repeatedly willing to die or endanger himself to save others, showing genuine care towards his friends and earth) or that things aren’t cut and dry (Wanda would have to be prosecuted as well for ultron).

He’s not as bad as K A Pital (who cheerfully ignores that Killmonger being portrayed as evil is NOT racist) but I suspect Gandalf has a massive chip on his shoulder and it influences how he sees things.
:lol:
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-08-09 08:56am
In Endgame we see the survivors (especially Thor) have to live through five odd years of living in an horrific sort of post apocalyptic world. A universe put through hell because Star Lord couldn't keep his shit together in a life or death situation. While I agree it's not a huge character flaw, it had massive effects, and when last we saw him he's on a ship with people who survived that incident. Whether the film condemns him or no, it seems like something that should at least come up.
I mean, yeah, but 'address' sounds like it's calling for a lot more than a few "You realize that was fucking stupid and put us all through hell" comments. And I'm really not sure what else they can do to address it other than shunning him or giving him a constant cold shoulder or something like that. I don't think anyone really wants to see one or more movies of him beating himself up over it. It wouldn't be very fun to watch.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The only thing I want them to address is the fact that this Gamora is not actually their Gamora, that she has different experiences and is, in some sense, a different person, rather than just treating her as an interchangeable replacement for dead Gamora (this is a trope that shows up at times in some SF works- male protagonist's love interest dies, he eventually finds a clone/alternate universe/past version of her, and its treated as a happy romantic ending which ignores the fact that you're essentially treating two different women as interchangable, when they're not actually effectively two different people).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-08-09 08:56am In Endgame we see the survivors (especially Thor) have to live through five odd years of living in an horrific sort of post apocalyptic world. A universe put through hell because Star Lord couldn't keep his shit together in a life or death situation. While I agree it's not a huge character flaw, it had massive effects, and when last we saw him he's on a ship with people who survived that incident. Whether the film condemns him or no, it seems like something that should at least come up.
By that logic shouldn't it be Strange that is called out? Star Lord fucked up in a moment of emotional distress, a crime of passion if you will. Strange deliberately created the scenario, knowing that Star Lord would react like that, that the consequences would be Thanos winning, that the universe would be put through hell, on the hope that when push came to shove Stark would kill himself to save everybody.

Star Lord made a poor decision not knowing what the consequences would be. Strange made a delebirate decision knowing specifically what the consequences would be.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Which come to think of it is a pretty good comeback for Star Lord. The Sorcerer Supreme scanned every possible future and said this was the only one where Thanos was defeated. CLEARLY Star Lord did not fuck the universe over because if he hadn't lost his temper and attacked Thanos they would have loss and Thanos would have been victorious in the end.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Alkaloid wrote:Star Lord made a poor decision not knowing what the consequences would be. Strange made a delebirate decision knowing specifically what the consequences would be.
Strange made "a deliberate decision" (only one out of millions he saw) where they "win". Is that really a choice? Well, yeah, I suppose, if he valued half of all life in the universe. I mean, Strange could have picked a future where the people he liked survived, "too bad, so sad" the rest, I guess?

To be fair, Peter dropped the ball twice - once when he had promised to kill Gamora before Thanos "got her", then hesitated until *bubbles!*, then again when he figured knowing where his personal somebody was was worth not disarming the genocidal madman. But hey, he got a replacement Gamora at the end, so he's all good, right? Yeah, if you have the emotional depth of a vinyl LP.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The worse decision in the whole movie was Dr. Strange not using a portal to cut off Thanos hand while he was stunned by Mantis and held by the others.

Rocket has lots of reasons to complain how things went.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Or locking Thanos in a time-loop.
Or just sling-ringing the crew back to Earth where there was back-up.
Or lots of other "Strange solves the whole problem because that's how clever he's supposed to be."

Except maybe he saw those ideas (and the rest) didn't work.

Or it was an ensemble film and that would have left fans of every other hero with grumpy-faces.

There are so many ways and reasons it never should have reached The Snap.
Tony should have filled the gauntlet with his suit.
Spidey should have slipped his hand in with Thanos', and filled the empty bits with webbing so Thanos couldn't put his hand back in.
Peter should have put his blaster-pistol in Thanos' mouth with a snappy, "Are you bullet-proof on the inside, a-hole?" and found out. (Which would fly in the face of GotG2, where the opening fight monster's skin was just as thick from the inside! :D )

OTOH, Thanos should not have been able to master quite so many facets (pun intended) of the Infinity Stones so fast. Strange had to learn a "litany of spells" to do what Thanos did after minutes of gaining the Time Stone, to roll back the destruction of the Mind Stone. Also: paradox danger ignored because...?
Or Thanos could have not championed a cause that was disproven on Earth by philosophers decades ago, and gone with "make everyone want and need less" instead. Keys to the universe and you want to drive over some people instead of actually fix what you think is wrong with it? I'd almost rather have his motive be "to impress a girl", like the comics. Poor form.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Khaat wrote: 2020-08-10 03:05pm Strange made "a deliberate decision" (only one out of millions he saw) where they "win". Is that really a choice? Well, yeah, I suppose, if he valued half of all life in the universe. I mean, Strange could have picked a future where the people he liked survived, "too bad, so sad" the rest, I guess?

To be fair, Peter dropped the ball twice - once when he had promised to kill Gamora before Thanos "got her", then hesitated until *bubbles!*, then again when he figured knowing where his personal somebody was was worth not disarming the genocidal madman. But hey, he got a replacement Gamora at the end, so he's all good, right? Yeah, if you have the emotional depth of a vinyl LP.
None of which is relevant to the thread. The point is you can not hold Star Lord responsible for something that was an unintended consequence of something he did and ignore that Strange is responsible for exactly the same consequences on purpose. His 1 in X million plan relied on them losing when and how they did, the snap happening, and then being undone later.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Will the Next Guardians of the Galaxy film address Star Lord's fuckup on Titan?
No.
Short enough?

Slightly longer form:
I fully expect: nothing to be said about Titan. He'll fuck up again in GotGv3 and they'll call that out. It's their shtick.

A bit more:
a) More important things were happening at the time (to half the universe), and b) it wasn't the right tone for the "infighting among the misfits".
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

spoilers now it's out:
Spoiler
Nope, not in a real way, though Star Lord is still messed up by the loss of Gamora and regards it as one of his failures. Which is more or less the most anyone really expected.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-05-14 02:58pm spoilers now it's out:
Spoiler
Nope, not in a real way, though Star Lord is still messed up by the loss of Gamora and regards it as one of his failures. Which is more or less the most anyone really expected.
That's... actually a LOT more than I expected. I kinda figured they would just proceed with little direct reference to the copy/paste version.
Evilchumlee
Youngling

Post by Evilchumlee »

It WAS addressed, albeit in a sort of offhand comment.

It's not spoiler territory, i'll just broad stroke it but... Quill is not in a good place at the start of GotG 3. The events of Infinity War/Endgame are really critical to the story.