Doctor who s12 episode 9 and 10 [spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Rate this double episode

5. Time Lord mythos is so much better
No votes
4. Getting the DVD
10%
3. Meh
30%
2. What was that
10%
1. Fuck this retcon
30%
0. Fire Chris Chibnall
20%

Total votes: 10

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Doctor who s12 episode 9 and 10 [spoilers]

Post by mr friendly guy »

This gets a 1 for the cool Time Lord Cybermen. That's all. What the fuck were they thinking?

1. Stupid Time Lord retcon. You see, Rassilon didn't give Time Lords regeneration. Nooo. It was some unnamed female character taking genetic material from the Timeless child. Where did the Timeless child come from? Who knows, but they are really a past version of the Doctor.

So they made the Timeless child/Doctor relieve childhood again, because reasons. And apparently the Time Lords must have forgotten how special the Timeless child is because of all the times in the classical series they messed with the Doctor.

Fuck this stupid retcon. Its almost as stupid as the 1996 movie where he becomes half human.

2. Cybermen guns suck.

Tens of blasts and the human still manages to activate the explosive device.

3. TARDIS defense sucks.

Juldoon can now teleport through it. Fuck this. Soon every Tom, Dick and Harry can enter the TARDIS.

4. Stupid death particle deus ex machina.

Humans just happen to hear the legend of the death particle.

5. Stupid resistance group who sent the Cyberium to the past, plot device

That human just happens to be part of the resistance that sent the Cyberium to the past. The reveal occurs at an opportune time to allow the Doctor to escape while the human sacrifices himself.

Fuck Chris Chibnall.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
paladin
Jedi Master

Re: Doctor who s12 episode 9 and 10 [spoilers]

Post by paladin »

I thought the episodes were ok. It seems like an opportunity was missed that instead of the Doctor being the Timeless Child that the Master should have been the Timeless Child. That would have seem a better explanation for the Master's destruction of Gallifrey.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

A big problem I have with the final two episodes is that the cybermen now have an agenda like the daleks of extermination whereas before they were about converting humans into cybermen.
This episode did answer the questions about who Brendan and Ruth are/were (even if this is not so satisfactory) - they are all the Timeless Child.
I wonder if they will followup in next series about what the Doctor's true race is from another universe, and what else is in that universe.
Oh, there is also that tree tardis that could be a valuable failsafe/fallback deus ex machina in a future episode.
Yeah the Judoon (or their backers) have become real OP, just penetrating the tardis like that.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

That specific broken Cyberman has an agenda. We have no proof the Cyberium wanted that. In fact, the Cyberium was protecting itself from that broken Cyberman previously.

Also, we have absolutely no proof the entire thing in the Matrix wasn't a massive attempt at a mind-fuck by the Master. He said he was hacking into the matrix. Well, stealing, altering, or deleting data is what hacking is all about.

Considering, it's completely his style, I can completely see that. He wanted to break the Doctor, before conquering the universe. Shattering the Doctor's foundational beliefs, you'd expect something like that to break them.

The Master being the Timeless Child, and instead trying to fake out the Doctor, makes more sense.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Solauren wrote: 2020-03-02 05:23pm The Master being the Timeless Child, and instead trying to fake out the Doctor, makes more sense.
Certainly the Master having infinite regenerations seems to fit better than the doctor given the number of times he seems to have died. Particularly given Matt Smith's Doctor seemed to need a recharge before he could regenerate, although that could presumably be a fake out by the time lords.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Bedlam wrote: 2020-03-03 05:23pm
Solauren wrote: 2020-03-02 05:23pm The Master being the Timeless Child, and instead trying to fake out the Doctor, makes more sense.
Certainly the Master having infinite regenerations seems to fit better than the doctor given the number of times he seems to have died. Particularly given Matt Smith's Doctor seemed to need a recharge before he could regenerate, although that could presumably be a fake out by the time lords.
That will however run contrary to the classic series where the Master took steps to increase the number of regenerations. Examples include the Deadly Assassin where he tried to steal energy from the eye of Harmony, the Keeper of Traken where he stole a body to continue living, and the Five Doctors where the Time Lords offer him more regenerations in his new body.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

If the Master didn't know he was the Timeless Child, he wouldn't know he didn't need more regenerations added.

And the Time lords offering him more, just a fake out.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.