Orbit Science / 40k - permanently hiding a constellation from the view of a planet?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Feil
Jedi Council Member

Orbit Science / 40k - permanently hiding a constellation from the view of a planet?

Post by Feil »

In Warhammer 40000, humanity has colonized most of the galaxy, and there's a "warp rift" called the Eye of Terror, the size of a decent-sized dwarf galaxy, parked on one of the Milky Way's spiral arms. It glows, it's evil, and it's been there for about fifteen thousand years.

Suppose I'm the planetary governor of some place fifteen thousand and change light years away from said warp rift. Thanks to faster-than-light communications, I know what's coming a few years from now, and I've decided that the solution is to put a bunch of stuff between my planet and the Eye of Terror.

(Or, for a more real-life example, suppose I'm a terrestrial mad scientist who really, really hates Virgo.)

Can I orbit something up such that it would stay permanently between a planet and a given section of the firmament? How far, and how big, would it have to be, to make it work?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Orbit Science / 40k - permanently hiding a constellation from the view of a planet?

Post by bilateralrope »

For 40k, the easiest option would be to convert the planet to a Hive world. Most of the population won't get to see the sky and those that do will see a sky so polluted that none of the stars are visible. Though there is the worry that the AdMech were planning to use this opportunity to claim the planet for themselves and make it a Forge world when they told the governor about the Eye of Terror becoming visible to him.

But if you want an orbiting solution, that depends on where the constellation appears in the sky. Near the systems equator and you might be able to create a ring of debris around the star to block it that only requires orbital mechanics. The further it is from there, the more active you'll need to be keeping it in place. A massive engineering project either way.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Re: Orbit Science / 40k - permanently hiding a constellation from the view of a planet?

Post by Cykeisme »

[Feil wrote:
Feil, it has been some time since I have had the pleasure of saying hello (due in no small part to my own lack of presence I suppose).
"The Shadow War" is still one of my favorite pieces of 40k fiction, long form or short, official or otherwise.
bilateralrope wrote:Near the systems equator and you might be able to create a ring of debris around the star to block it that only requires orbital mechanics. The further it is from there, the more active you'll need to be keeping it in place.
Does the equator of a planet's rotation affect the orbit of a large amount of bodies into orbit (i.e. a ring)?

I am under the (possibly incorrect) assumption that the ring can be at any orientation relative to the planet's rotation, and that the axis/equator of the planet's rotation will not have significant effect on the ring's orbit.

Or are you referring to using the inertia of objects launched from the planet's rotation to reduce the amount of energy required to be imparted when launching all the orbital objects from the surface? If this is the case, then that answers my question, I suppose.
Although 40k is "soft" sci-fi in the sense that the various civilizations that appear in have spaceships that are capable of generating power and total energy far in excess of the amounts required for orbital mechanics around an Earth-like planet.

Edit: OH, I just realized that if the Eye of Terror was not directly above the equator of above the planet's pole, then a ring would not block view of the Eye for much of the year, as the planet orbits its sun...
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It being over the equator is important if you want something to stay above the same point on the surface, this is what "geostationary orbit" means. Any other inclination and it will pass over the same spot every 24 hours, which isn't what we're looking for. For this to have any chance of working, you'd need some sort of powered orbit to blot out the Eye of Terror from the surface - or something large enough far enough away that it blocks out/eclipses the Eye from any point on your planets orbital path, but that would be...even more difficult I think.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2020-02-17 05:52pm It being over the equator is important if you want something to stay above the same point on the surface, this is what "geostationary orbit" means. Any other inclination and it will pass over the same spot every 24 hours, which isn't what we're looking for.
Oh, d'doh.. I stupidly imagined the entire planet as a point, forgetting that the planet's size is significant in this scenario, and that different geographical locations on the rotating surface will not be affected equally. The only way we can treat the entire planet as a point, would be if the ring was as wide as the planet's entire diameter. My bad.

Suddenly, the idea of simply making everyone permanently stay indoors in a hive arcology (or in underground habitats) is starting to sound more workable :O
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I got my terminology wrong. A ring round the planet is only going to block the constellation from the surface directly under the ring. Maybe that's enough for some planetary governors because they don't care about people living outside it. But it's probably not.

For an unpowered orbit, you're going need the constellation to be aligned with the plane of the planets orbit. Then, if you can get enough stuff, you could build a ring of stuff outside the planets orbit that's constantly in the way. By enough stuff, we are probably talking dismantling the other planets in the system to turn them into the ring.

If the constellation isn't aligned with the plane of the planets orbit, you'll need a powered orbit.

Polluting the atmosphere so nobody can see the stars, then doing whatever you have to do to avoid angering the wider Imperium with a missed tithe is the easier option. Well, that or a strictly enforced curfew so that nobody goes outside at night. With servitors wandering the streets killing anyone who goes outside.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why exactly is it 'important' people don't see this thing? Does it spread its evil influence via photons?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Batman wrote: 2020-02-17 06:26pm Why exactly is it 'important' people don't see this thing? Does it spread its evil influence via photons?
Because somebody convinced the planetary governor that it would be bad to let people see it. Nobody is saying that they were right to do so.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So basically 'just because'. Fine by me, I was just wondering if maybe there was a somewhat rational reason behind it, not being very familiar with 40K.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well the Eye of Terror is basically a star-cluster-sized gateway to Hell. So looking at it might be a legitimately bad idea. And trying to keep your population as ignorant of Chaos as possible seems to be a fairly standard MO for Imperial Governors.

Honestly though, the "keep everyone in the Hive City" idea seems the most workable.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The thing to remember about the Eye of Terror is that it got that name because it was freaking the living daylights out of a Primarch (Logar IIRC) just by existing, so "can spread evil thru photons" doesn't really sound that odd. Especially when you consider that "Chaos" isn't exactly the same thing as "evil" so while a majority of the stuff chaos causes could be classified it's not so much "made of evil" as "made of discord and other destructively chaotic things"
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

I don't have any evidence that it's an effective action, but more because it might be insufficient than because it wouldn't be on the right track. 40k (when it's not too poorly written) is a place in which symbols and ideas have intelligence and agency, and will twist, unmake, and subsume human minds. I think it's plausible that blotting out the Eye of Terror would help, but it wouldn't be 40k if people weren't still drawn to stare at the partially blacked-out sky, 'transfixed with a dread not of this nor any world, but only of the mad spaces between the stars.'
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

How much of the night sky does the eye of terror take up?

You could block it out by launching big solar sail probes towards it. You only need enough to cover a stripe one planetary diameter 'tall' and one planet around sun orbit diameter wide. The sails don't need to move fast, just enough to keep splayed and out of planets orbit.
A dust could would have same effect but fall back in sooner.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Assuming maps are semi-accurate I'd ballpark it at 5000 LY plus or minus 3000 and roughly spherical. So at 15000LY distance, low end estimate Ω ≈ 0.06 st, high end estimate Ω ≈ 1 st.