Doctor Who s12e01 spyfall - SPOILERS DUH

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate this

5. Fucking awesome
13%
4. Good solid effort
50%
3. Ok
25%
2. Meh
No votes
1. Not even worth pirating
13%
0. I am going to make a youtube video for free mocking it
No votes

Total votes: 8

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Doctor Who s12e01 spyfall - SPOILERS DUH

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am been critical of Who in recent years, but this is a solid 4/5.

I didn't see the twist coming, that the Master is Indian. Yeah totally didn't see that one coming. :D That kind of explains how he was able to trap the aliens who can even penetrate the TARDIS (albeit with difficulty).

It harkens back to classic Who of the Pertwee era, like how where the Doctor acted as UNIT adviser, this time recruited to help MI6. It also has classic Who tropes such as the Doctor telling some wild sounding story about aliens and daring you to challenge the narrative. It reminds me of the time Tom Baker's Doctors would say that. In this case, its Whitaker's Doctor accusing one of the suspect villains of being in league with the aliens. You can tell the character knows she is onto him, but tries to brush it off by accusing the Doctor of being insane. Oh, and it also ends on a nice cliffhanger like classic Who.

There are some contrived flaws of course. Like why did the runaway car at the start pause a while, giving the Doctor time to come up with a plan to take control of it. Why did they need to shoot the head of MI6 when these teleporting aliens can just come and kill him? It however doesn't detract from the episode.

Now since this is part one, could it have problems in part two? Yeah. There are some signs which are very gimmicky IMO.

For example the Master cryptically saying "all you know is a lie." All I can say is, the payoff for that better be good.

The other gimmicky thing is these aliens with languages which isn't recognised and hints they are from another reality. OMG, some aliens which even the knowledge of the Time Lords don't recognise. Its sort of like a Worf Effect, but knowledge instead of fighting. Of course a simple reason the language isn't recognised is that its simply a new constructed language, since you know, the theme of the episode is spying. I will have to see the second episode.

All in all, a fun episode and looking forward to episode 2.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Doctor Who s12e01 spyfall - SPOILERS DUH

Post by madd0ct0r »

I was pretty disgruntled. Terrible writing and script, and budget spent on the setting.

I get that the whole thing is a bond pastiche, and thus you need the glamorous settings, car chase and private jet, but I think at some point someone should have just said 'a bond pastiche isn't working, can we drop some of these elements and tighten the script?'

The gang's lack of use in the script was even lampshaded 'is he just here to comment on the obvious?', but I don't want arch self referential nods to flaws, I want a better plot!

Lenny Henry was good and menacing as a very self controlled villan. Sacha Dhawan brought an interesting squirmy style to the normally manic master. Judgement withheld until we see him more in action. (the plot magic of him being in M16 for years, living in the outback for 2 years, and still having time to run the plot and remote control pilot the plane (while sprinting behind it) and procur a deadlock bomb from nowhere... oh man. Send the script back for edits).

The monsters appear to be some sort of light/energy feeder.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-01-02 10:12am

The gang's lack of use in the script was even lampshaded 'is he just here to comment on the obvious?', but I don't want arch self referential nods to flaws, I want a better plot!
Huh? Yas and Ryan were used to spy and they hacked relevant information from Barton's computer. Graham was the only one who didn't do anything in that particular scene, which is a bit of a tongue in cheek jab at how old DW companions didn't do anything. However the scene works in universe, because it turned out the sarcastic comment came from the Master, a character who is pretty much contemptuous of most people.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-01-02 10:12am (the plot magic of him being in M16 for years, living in the outback for 2 years, and still having time to run the plot and remote control pilot the plane (while sprinting behind it) and procur a deadlock bomb from nowhere... oh man. Send the script back for edits).
It's hardly plot magic for the master to infiltrate an organisation in disguise, it was a large part of his shtick for years.
Being on his own in the middle of nowhere for two years means he has nothing but time to work on his plan.
He wasn't remote controlling the plane, Barton was flying. The Master teleported him out.
You really think building a deadlock bomb is beyond the capabilities of The Master?
mr friendly guy wrote:There are some contrived flaws of course. Like why did the runaway car at the start pause a while, giving the Doctor time to come up with a plan to take control of it. Why did they need to shoot the head of MI6 when these teleporting aliens can just come and kill him? It however doesn't detract from the episode.
The Master wanted the reaction at the end more than he wanted to simply kill The Doctor
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-01-02 10:12am (the plot magic of him being in M16 for years, living in the outback for 2 years, and still having time to run the plot and remote control pilot the plane (while sprinting behind it) and procur a deadlock bomb from nowhere... oh man. Send the script back for edits).
Given his Australian house was flying alongside the plane it's probably his TARDIS so time is not a limited resource, he could have zipped back to his MI6 years at any point.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Maybe I missed it, was it established whether this Master is post-Simm, pre-Missy, or post Missy? IIIRC they were deliberately vague on what regeneration she was in the Doctor Falls.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Hmm... did anyone else think the "phasing-in" effect the aliens used was very reminiscent of the "ghosts" that turned out to be Cybermen in one of the early NuWho episodes? And where did we last see the Master...?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

They do look a little Cybermanish but they don't really move or sound like them. They also seem a bit like the 'boneless' or maybe even an updated version of the Vardan's from the Invasion of Time.

Until the Master reveal I thought they would be a returning villain but I don't think they'd go for two returns in a single story.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Bedlam wrote: 2020-01-02 02:26pm
Given his Australian house was flying alongside the plane it's probably his TARDIS so time is not a limited resource, he could have zipped back to his MI6 years at any point.
Huh. what was the era the master had their own tardis?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-01-03 05:16am
Bedlam wrote: 2020-01-02 02:26pm
In the Pertwee era he had his own TARDIS but he got stuck on Earth after the Doctor sabotaged it. This makes it easier to have the Master encountering the Doctor frequently since at this time, the Time Lords had exiled the Doctor to Earth.

By the Tom Baker story the Deadly Assassin he had two, one which he used to escape. In the Keeper of Traken its likely he had two, one which he disguised as a humanoid statue and the other one as a column.

Over the years of classic Who he had a TARDIS, so its not surprising he found a new one or had a spare TARDIS somewhere since we know there are episodes where he is shown to have at least two.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2020-01-02 11:32pm Hmm... did anyone else think the "phasing-in" effect the aliens used was very reminiscent of the "ghosts" that turned out to be Cybermen in one of the early NuWho episodes?
Yes, but I don't think they're Cybermen. I do think they're from outside our universe both from that and the bit about the TARDIS not translating their language, showing no readings, etc.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2020-01-03 05:16am
[/quote]

Some of the current era as well, Sim's apparently had a broken one somewhere in the Cyber-levels in World enough / Doctor Falls and Missy gave him the part to fix it (presumably he stole it from Gallifrey after he got 'fixed') although Missy seemed to have lost it when she appeared as she always used the wrist mounted Temporal Manipulator.