40k - Some Necron

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

40k - Some Necron

Post by WhiteLion »

I am a complete ignorant of the Necrons, I followed the lore a little but on ships and weapons I know little or nothing, but I'd like to know more.
Could anyone give me a hint about ships and necron weapons? Just to get an idea, as far as I have read they are much more advanced than Eldar and Imperium
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: 40k - Some Necron

Post by Lord Revan »

WhiteLion wrote: 2019-09-20 07:41am I am a complete ignorant of the Necrons, I followed the lore a little but on ships and weapons I know little or nothing, but I'd like to know more.
Could anyone give me a hint about ships and necron weapons? Just to get an idea, as far as I have read they are much more advanced than Eldar and Imperium
With the necrons there's the issue that not much is known of them, other then they fuck up the Warp by their presence and are ancient. How effective necron armies(or fleets) are depends on the tomb world that spawned them, with some being essentially unstoppble armies of merciless killer robots or fleets crewed by said merciless killer robots that are just as unstopble, however IIRC some tomb worlds are so degraded that they're essentially moving targets for the local PDF.

That said being more advanced then the Imperium doesn't mean much as they're essentially at lowest end in the totempole when it comes to tech, with the Eldar you have the issue of "which eldar do you mean? The Aeldari craftworlders? Aeldari exodites or the Drukhari?" as the response may vary depending on the anwser.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Read the Lexicanicum wiki. Also read 1d4chan if you want a more meme-filled take, which may be more revealing of what gamers think of the faction than what it actually does. Search 'Necron' on the 40KLore subreddit.

In brief:

Impossibly old race that suffered biological degradation (or something) and transferred their entire species' consciousness into robot bodies (more or less). Originally enslaved by stellar beings that they then managed to trap and enslave in return, or break into shards (which is something I've never really cared for but whatever). Said shards still have incredible power. Their technology is ridiculous compared to other factions as it's better than Dark Age of Technology human stuff, which was at absurd levels like literally being capable of pulling targets back through time; examples include the Stellar Orrery, a map of the entire galaxy... where you can literally destroy solar systems by simply pinching out the star on the map. They're capable of weaponizing entire planets and fragments of dead stars.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

A race of pacifists in short :)
I'm reading the lore a bit, I got to the point where they transfer consciousness from the organic body to the mechanic.

I have also seen the spaceships, they are very reminiscent of the Goaul'd ships of StarGate
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

That's mostly because they used to share that whole Space Egyptian aesthetic, thanks to being pretty much straight up 40K versions of Fantasy's Tomb Kings. Nowadays they're a little more straight up SF death robot ubertech.

And pacifists? Hardly. They're starting to wake up across the galaxy, and the destruction of Cadia is only speeding their wakening. They definitely don't care for humans, much less Orks or Eldar. It's only a matter of time before it's down to them or the Tyranids.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

I saw the Cairn class, aesthetically it is not much, but the armament is extremely interesting, more than firepower I have seen that it is based on weapons that render the enemy ship and crew unprotected, such as the Sepulcher, Lightning Arcs, Energy Drain generators.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Don't get too hung up on what the BFG rulebook says. There's a pretty important divide between the rulebooks and the actual lore. The rulebooks have to kind of level the playing field to some degree, so Necron craft are powerful but not impossible to defeat. In lore, well, it took a massive naval flotilla plus destroying an entire Chapter of Space Marines to take down a World Engine, a literal *mobile PLANET*...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Don't know if you (Elheru) know this one but it's always fun to mention. It's worth noting they didn't do it in the way described in the codex is proved to be a lie in the World Engine book, whereby the space marines get demolished in every fight on the World Engine until a C'tan shard of the World Shaper guides them to release it, and then it destroys the planetary shields and the World Engine's core, then the Imperial Fleet finishes it.

The book ends with the story from the codexes being put out by the Inquisition to hide the C'tan shard's involvement, and anyone who has had (mental) contact with it being executed to prevent them worshipping it. :rofl:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

NecronLord wrote: 2019-09-23 07:56am Don't know if you (Elheru) know this one but it's always fun to mention. It's worth noting they didn't do it in the way described in the codex is proved to be a lie in the World Engine book, whereby the space marines get demolished in every fight on the World Engine until a C'tan shard of the World Shaper guides them to release it, and then it destroys the planetary shields and the World Engine's core, then the Imperial Fleet finishes it.

The book ends with the story from the codexes being put out by the Inquisition to hide the C'tan shard's involvement, and anyone who has had (mental) contact with it being executed to prevent them worshipping it. :rofl:
I have read the World Engine book, actually...

A long-ass time ago and only once, so obliged for the correction.