For All Mankind

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

For All Mankind

Post by TimothyC »

AppleTV trailer is up:

"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: For All Mankind

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I'm surprised no-one else has talked about this. From Wikipedia:
For All Mankind is an American science fiction streaming television series created and written by Ronald D. Moore, Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi and produced for Apple TV+. The series dramatizes an alternate history depicting "what would have happened if the global space race had never ended" after the Soviet Union succeeds in the first crewed Moon landing ahead of the United States.

The series stars Joel Kinnaman in the lead role as fictionalized NASA astronaut Edward Baldwin, with Michael Dorman, Sarah Jones, Shantel VanSanten, Jodi Balfour, and Wrenn Schmidt in other starring roles. The series features historical figures including Apollo 11 crewmembers Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, rocket scientist Wernher von Braun, Richard Nixon, and Ted Kennedy (who in the series' alternate timeline became president after Nixon). Seth Gordon directed the first two episodes of season 1.

For All Mankind premiered on November 1, 2019, and was renewed by Apple TV+ in October 2019 for a second season, which premiered on February 19, 2021. In December 2020, ahead of the second season premiere, the series was renewed for a third season.
Yes, that Ronald D. Moore. I've been watching it with my Dad, this is one of those series I'm really geeking out over, especially when you see how much manned space travel has developed over the twenty-year timespan depicted so far, to the point that by the eighties NASA has a far more advanced manned space program than they do today. As in, they actually built the Sea Dragon:

chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

It's very much soft sci-fi at this point. The nuclear-powered (but somehow air-launched) SSTO is really pushing it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

chimericoncogene wrote: 2021-04-21 12:52pm It's very much soft sci-fi at this point. The nuclear-powered (but somehow air-launched) SSTO is really pushing it.
The realism has been eroded over the course of the second season, that's for sure.

You can tell they did that for dramatic effect by making it look like it was going to be launched vertically before rotating the camera, the idea that it would stay airborne instead of immediately sinking like a stone with its relatively small wingspan before the engine ignited was ridiculous, at least it wasn't the disaster that a similar scene from Man of Steel became.

And the matter of the space shuttle going to the moon. The Buran making the trip was handwaved by having it take on fuel from a hiterto-unmentioned Soviet space station in a manner not unlike Armageddon, though only taking place on an onscreen graphic presumably to save the VFX budget and to keep its appearance a surprise. No such explanation for the shuttle.

Final episode tomorrow, we'll see how Jamestown reacts to half a dozen AK-toting cosmonauts breaking in and causing havoc.
Last edited by EnterpriseSovereign on 2021-04-22 06:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Double post edit.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I rather like this series.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Sure, it's a little odd to see Shuttles making Lunar trips, without the shuttle looking different than OTL. But over all, enjoyable show, fun seeing a NASA basically given a runaway military budget so we get moon base, skylab, and multiple shuttles. Along with DoD running shuttles out of Vandenberg.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Does the setting have anything missing that we developed in real life?

Something like we spent all this money on space technology so we never put resources towards the internet or medical science or something?

There are always spin off technologies and some non directly space based fields would be ahead of what we currently have but it seems a bit false to say if we pushed huge levels of resources to space flight the world would be exactly as it is just with better space flight.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Pathfinder's launch:

My inner scientist hated their failing to specify units when they said altitude of 25,000 and speed 270. For altitude it can be inferred they meant feet owing to the C5 launch aircraft having a maximum altitude of 41,000 ft (12,000 m). For comparison, the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft had an altitude ceiling of 15,000 feet (4,600 m) and a maximum cruise speed of Mach 0.6 (400 knots) with the orbiter attached. Air-launch-to-orbit however takes place at anywhere between 35,000 and 40,000 feet. Speed could either be knots or km/h- the C5 has a cruise speed of 450 kn (520 mph, 830 km/h) / M0.77.

Interestingly, Lockheed proposed a twin body C-5 as a Shuttle Carrier Aircraft to counter the Conroy Virtus, but the design was turned down in favour of the Boeing 747.

I'm not sure about other tech advancing, it's an alternate history with things like the Chappaquiddick incident never happening and Ted Kennedy becoming president, other presidencies like Nixon and Reagan happened as they actually did, and John Lennon wasn't shot in New York meaning he continued his peace activism.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well, we've had the finale, they did a Cuban Missile Crisis IN SPACE, complete with an X-Men First Class-style resolution by Pathfinder shooting down Sea Dragon rather than letting the Russians do it, even when they had two of the crew members pointing pistols at each other. The battle in Jamestown ended with a bit of an anticlimax since it ended up in a stalemate, with them only taking out a single cosmonaut in exchange for one of their marines. The gun battle had stray AK bullets damaging the nuclear reactor cooling system resulting in 2 characters killed switching to backups to prevent a meltdown.

As with the end of last season they did another time skip, to 1995 with them setting foot on Mars which is an order of magnitude farther away than the moon is. Word of God they're planning 7 seasons in total, assuming they continue the pattern season 3 is the 90s, 4 will be the 00s, 5 the 10s, 6 the 20s which will bring them to the present day in 2024, meaning season 7 could be set in the future. We can only speculate what they'll be doing by then if we're going to have (manned) exploration of Mercury/Venus, mining the asteroid belt, exploring the outer solar system perhaps culminating in exploration of the Kuiper belt and eventually (assuming further leaps in propulsion technology) the Oort cloud.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Being set in 1995, season 3 will reveal whether the Soviet Union broke up like it did in 1988-91, broke up at a different time, or only partially/didn't break up at all.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Part of the reason the USSR collapses was the price of trying to keep up with NATO military. Simply put, they couldn't afford it.

Combine that with the influx of Western culture, and migration issues....

I'd be disappointed if they said the USSR didn't collapse without a very good explanation.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well if the US is throwing wads of money at their space program to get to the point of taking people to Mars...

(note, I have not seen the show, but just contributing to the discussion or attempting to)

Perhaps they didn't spend nearly as much on the military in this timeline, more or less building it up and then resting on their nuclear laurels and hoping the Soviets do the same?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Maybe, but the US Air Force is running their own shuttles out of Vandenburg on the west coast, as well as getting into a regional dust up in Panama, so I'm sure they're throwing money too.
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Agent Fisher wrote: 2021-04-28 02:15am Maybe, but the US Air Force is running their own shuttles out of Vandenburg on the west coast, as well as getting into a regional dust up in Panama, so I'm sure they're throwing money too.
Which raises my point above, if in this universe resources are being spent on space travel well above the real world and on the military equal to the real world where are they not being spent?
TrekkieJeff2000
Redshirt

Post by TrekkieJeff2000 »

I really like the concept behind this show.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Watching this series with a friend, getting into season 2, we both really like it. :)

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Season 3 is also excellent. The Mars race is fun and they managed to integrated the humor.

Looking forward to Season 4 and this worlds 00s

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor