The Beast Planet enters into the Stargate galaxy (RAR)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

The Beast Planet enters into the Stargate galaxy (RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 »

In 1997(season 1) of Stargate SG-1, the Beast Planet from the TV show Shadow Raiders enters the Stargate galaxy, intent on feeding upon the worlds it comes across. Can it pose a threat to the Goa'uld? Would they notice?

If it is such a threat, can the forces of the Stargate galaxy band together to fight said cosmic horror?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: The Beast Planet enters into the Stargate galaxy (RAR)

Post by Jub »

1) How closely does the Stargate galaxy watch for invaders showing up in random systems?
2) How densely populated is the Stargate galaxy?
3) How likely is it that a world notices a few beast drones buzzing around looking for resources?

These first three questions are important when asking about how quickly the Beast Planet will be discovered. Beyond that, we need to know what the Beast Planet is targeting when it picks planets to dismantle. Does it need to go after inhabited worlds or are the normal uninhabited kind just as good? Do we even see an uninhabited planet in Shadow Raiders?

4) How much energy does the Beast Planet absorb when emerging from a star and can an SG power throw that level of firepower around on the scale needed to kill a planet-sized starship?
5) How tough is the armor based solely on the gravitational pull of emerging from a star?
6) Even if the armor were only as tough as a regular planet's crust, something we already know to be false, how long would it take SG tech to dig through 50km of armor?

My guess is that nothing in SG can stand up to the Beast Planet straight up so that leaves some desperate commando raid which seems unlikely to fail given how little the SG-verse will know about the Beast Planet's technology and internal defenses.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

'Beast Tech' appears vulnerable to energy weapons, so Staff weapons might work against it.
And since they use Jaf'fa style tactics, it could be a fair fight.

'Beast tech' also can be deflected by shields, which the Gou'ald have.

Honestly, the Gou'ald might be able to give the beast one hell of a fight, and with a sufficiently large fleet, stop them.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Solauren wrote: 2019-03-21 05:12pm 'Beast Tech' appears vulnerable to energy weapons, so Staff weapons might work against it.
And since they use Jaf'fa style tactics, it could be a fair fight.

'Beast tech' also can be deflected by shields, which the Gou'ald have.

Honestly, the Gou'ald might be able to give the beast one hell of a fight, and with a sufficiently large fleet, stop them.
That assumes that the Beast even needs to send out traditional fighters for the Gou'ald to fight, which they don't need to do. They probably still send out drones to the slaughter but it won't matter when they can just plow through, effectively invincible, and eat the planet while shrugging off hits from anything the Gou'ald can throw at them.

It wasn't a ground burst but the Tsar Bomba only dug a crater to a depth of 250m in regular rock and dirt. Even juiced nukes in the 250 MT range impacting the planet aren't exactly digging through kilometers of armor with any haste. Depending on how long it takes to devour a world a fleet might have time to exhaust every weapon it has and still not deal a significant wound to the planet-sized battle station. This assuming that a space station the size of a planet that emerges from stars is even vulnerable to the levels of firepower that the Gou'ald can chuck around.

If things do get hairy it's unlikely that the Beast's method of transport is traceable by any Milky Way power so if it takes too much of a beating it can leave. The Beast has the advantage in that it'll be hard to trace, can choose its target, and can sit and eat dead worlds as long as it needs to and thus recover from battle damage. I don't see the Milky Way powers beating it with the tech level shown in the show, especially not season 1 tech.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

DET firepower in the Stargate-verse tops out at the low end GT level. That's going to do jack all against a station like this. The Drones may be toast but the Beast Planet itself is invulnerable in a direct fight. SG-1 may manage to destroy it by making a sun go nova in its face or overload a ZPM inside it, or the Asgard may be able to trap in in a time expansion field, or the Ancients may intervene, but in a force-on-force fight, Stargate is toast.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

IIRC the Beast Planet took zero damage from things like the Fire Planet ramming it and the Jungle Planet exploding inside it. And it seemed to emerge from stars just fine being no worse for wear. Plus in addition to the drones and devouring planets it also has an FTL weapon capable of one-shotting "battle moons," which as the name implies are moons built for combat. They good guys only survived by transporting it to another galaxy so that it would be someone else's problem. I doubt even the Death Star or Planet Killer base would be a match for this thing in a direct fight; is there anything in the Stargate galaxy that matches or exceeds that level of firepower?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Tribble wrote: 2019-03-21 10:08pm IIRC the Beast Planet took zero damage from things like the Fire Planet ramming it and the Jungle Planet exploding inside it. Plus in addition to the drones and devouring planets it also has an FTL weapon capable of one-shotting "battle moons," which as the name implies are moons built for combat. They good guys only survived by transporting it to another galaxy so that it would be someone else's problem. I doubt even the Death Star or Planet Killer base would be a match for this thing in a direct fight; is there anything in the Stargate galaxy that matches or exceeds that level of firepower?
The DSII might stand a chance if it can land the first shot. That superlaser is no joke and it's kid brother overkilled Alderaan through a planetary shield with room to spare. It depends on just how good the Beast Planet's armor actually is and if it even prefers to go after inhabited worlds. It could easily be that much of the Shadow-verse has been consumed already which has forced rogue AIs like the Beast Planet to devour inhabited worlds.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Jub wrote: 2019-03-21 10:16pm
Tribble wrote: 2019-03-21 10:08pm IIRC the Beast Planet took zero damage from things like the Fire Planet ramming it and the Jungle Planet exploding inside it. Plus in addition to the drones and devouring planets it also has an FTL weapon capable of one-shotting "battle moons," which as the name implies are moons built for combat. They good guys only survived by transporting it to another galaxy so that it would be someone else's problem. I doubt even the Death Star or Planet Killer base would be a match for this thing in a direct fight; is there anything in the Stargate galaxy that matches or exceeds that level of firepower?
The DSII might stand a chance if it can land the first shot. That superlaser is no joke and it's kid brother overkilled Alderaan through a planetary shield with room to spare. It depends on just how good the Beast Planet's armor actually is and if it even prefers to go after inhabited worlds. It could easily be that much of the Shadow-verse has been consumed already which has forced rogue AIs like the Beast Planet to devour inhabited worlds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ti0xmYqAM

Skip ahead to around the 20 minute mark. The Beast Planet opens, pulls the Jungle Planet inside, the Jungle planet explodes... which does nothing. Assuming the Jungle Planet was Earth-sized, I doubt a Death Star would be able to kill the Beast Planet with a single hit. Meanwhile;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCp8ypFr26o

Skip ahead to 19 minutes, The Beast Planet emerges from a star, shoots a weapon which seems to travel a good chunk of the solar system within matter of seconds before it hits a battle moon and blows it up. I doubt the Death Star would survive such a hit.

IMO even if we gave the Death Star the bonuses of already being in range and shooting first I'd still give the advantage to the Beast Planet.

As for Stargate I'm a little rusty, but I don't recall the G'ould having that kind of firepower at their immediate disposal.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Tribble wrote: 2019-03-21 10:42pmhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ti0xmYqAM

Skip ahead to around the 20 minute mark. The Beast Planet opens, pulls the Jungle Planet inside, the Jungle planet explodes... which does nothing. Assuming the Jungle Planet was Earth-sized, I doubt a Death Star would be able to kill the Beast Planet with a single hit.
I don't know how much energy was absorbed by the jungle planet itself in that explosion. That said the Beast Planet is huge, like gas giant huge. Just eyeballing the scales, and assuming Jungle Planet is Earth-sized, we're looking at an object in the 44,000 km radius ballpark and packing tons more mass than Jupiter and Saturn combined. Because of this scaling, it's more likely that the armor thickness scales into the hundreds of kilometers range than it tops out at the tens of kilometers range.

So yeah, on further reflection it seems unlikely that the DS can get the one shot it needs off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCp8ypFr26o

Skip ahead to 19 minutes, The Beast Planet emerges from a star, shoots a weapon which seems to travel a good chunk of the solar system within matter of seconds before it hits a battle moon and blows it up. I doubt the Death Star would survive such a hit.
People will underestimate how much of a feat emerging out of a star like that is too. Taking the forces and energy that the core of an active star can put out is insane even by Star Wars insane standards. Then add in the weapon on top and... Night night Imperial fleet.

TLDR; Yeah, even the DSII shits itself at how durable and hard hitting the Beast is.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Here's a question. How will the Goa'uld take such an invasion? Will they rally together, or will they take advantage of whatever System Lord is being invaded?

It's shuffling chairs on the Titanic against the Beast Planet, but I'm curious if they would come together, or if it would inspire even more infighting.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-21 11:15pm Here's a question. How will the Goa'uld take such an invasion? Will they rally together, or will they take advantage of whatever System Lord is being invaded?

It's shuffling chairs on the Titanic against the Beast Planet, but I'm curious if they would come together, or if it would inspire even more infighting.
Outwardly rally together whilst looking for opportunities to backstab each other.

The other question that needs asking, of course, is what can the Replicators make of it.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Vendetta wrote: 2019-03-26 11:43amThe other question that needs asking, of course, is what can the Replicators make of it.
Probably nothing unless they can replicate the central power source or board the ship and take it over. Given that Galactic powers far weaker than the Beasts have repelled them I don't see this as a serious threat.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Based on what we've seen of the Replicators, they might actually have problems with them.

Physical contact with a Beast drone of any kind apparently destroy's normal matter. So boarding a Beast-ship could be bad for the Replicators.

of course, if Replicators are immune to 'Beast energy', say using it for power, well, the Beast would make a very nice 'meal' for the Replicators.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Solauren wrote: 2019-03-26 06:08pm Based on what we've seen of the Replicators, they might actually have problems with them.

Physical contact with a Beast drone of any kind apparently destroy's normal matter. So boarding a Beast-ship could be bad for the Replicators.

of course, if Replicators are immune to 'Beast energy', say using it for power, well, the Beast would make a very nice 'meal' for the Replicators.
It's also possible both are immune to each other - the Replicators might be immune to damage from "Beast Energy" while not being able to do anything to said energy.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Plus the replicators may have issues disassembling the Beast planet if the materials are tough enough to resist them. We don't know what the limits for what they can use might be.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Tribble wrote: 2019-03-26 10:26pm
Solauren wrote: 2019-03-26 06:08pm Based on what we've seen of the Replicators, they might actually have problems with them.

It's also possible both are immune to each other - the Replicators might be immune to damage from "Beast Energy" while not being able to do anything to said energy.
Oh god, that would be so funny.

I have this mental image of the two 'unique' Beast drone controllers, and their boss, complaining about these 'mechanical bugs' that seem to have infested the planet, and that while they're harmless, they get into everything.

Cue a squadron of beast drones walking buy, with Replicators swarming over them, and annoyed beast drones trying to swat them away.

On the plus side, that scenario might give the Asgard time to drop them all in a time dilation field or other trap, and effectively deal with them.