Stompy Robot Time: Pacific Rim

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Srelex
Jedi Master

Stompy Robot Time: Pacific Rim

Post by Srelex »

First trailer is up.

Well, it's got massive robots in it, so I'm sure as hell game.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Stompy Robot Time: Pacific Rim

Post by Mr Bean »

Wait let me guess, it's the fact that watching giant stompy robots fight giant monsters is simply a good time?
Or do you mean the vague (insert message here) about the evils of (insert villainy of preference).

As Srelex said, it's got robots I'm game.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Maybe it's just me but the way they're controlling the robots in there really reminds me of G Gundam. I'm already sold.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Y'know, if they do this right it will be as clever as people say Neon Genesis Evangelion is.

Of course, if they do it wrong it will be as silly as people say giant robits are.

But, y'know. Can't win em all.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

There's a small chance it'll be as interesting as those dozens of other robit businesses that already exist. :V

Whatever the mix of action and plot, however, I'm not sure people will be happy.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Needs more Gary Graham.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

It has Idris Elba, so it doesn't 'need' anything else. :V I mean a powerful and moving story with robits being a tool to retell age-old stories of man vs nature and man vs himself would be sweet too, but to be honest there's so many of those I'd die before I watched them all anywway.

And NONE of them have Idris Elba!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I have a snarky comment about how Idris Elba didn't save Prometheus, but I think Stark might verbally abuse me for it.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

It has the voice of GLADOS in it... Ye Gods this is going to be so much fun...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Jesus. It's got fucking GlaDOS as the computer voice, giant robots that look like WH40K Space Marines, and monsters from the sea. It's like 95% purity Geek-Crack, which means it could do very well, or flop like Dragon Wars or Suckerpunch.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I'm going with flop.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

madd0ct0r wrote:I'm going with flop.
...But I'll go watch it anyway. It can't possibly be as bad as Dragon Wars.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Yeah, I was amused by GlaDOS's voice in the trailer too.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The best part is the elbow-mounted rocket assisting the punch.
khursed
Youngling

Post by khursed »

Looks like fun, whats the worst that can happen? :)
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

I...I think I'm in love.

Even Guillermo's worst movie, Hellboy 2, had great visuals and great ideas, even if he didn't pull it off very well. I've gone to watch shit movies with worse directors at the helm. So I'm definitely going to give this a chance.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I've never fully understood all the Guillermo-love; he's certainly good, but earlier on in his career his films were marred by fairly basic technical gaffes and nothing he's ever done has really blown me away, not even Pan's Labyrinth which I'm baffled to see people put in top 10 of the 00's lists. This trailer looks like the first thing he's ever done that I could get excited over, if only because I'm a daikaiju freak in withdrawal and I haven't been allowed to see any footage of Gareth Edwards' Godzilla teaser and Idris Elba please have my babies, et cetera. One thing I noticed right away was how the robots extremities seemed to sway and "jiggle" more with reaction force when making certain movements, which reminded me of how early in the development of Transformers ILM was trying to show the robots motions as being physically consistent with their size and mass before Michael Bay axed it in favor of more nimble-looking robots; I'm definitely more in favor of this movie's approach based on what I've seen, for what that's worth.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

My wife's already questioning having pilots for these mecha vs drone warfare. I just want to know what it's rated so I can take the kids. We love kaiju here.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

If it lives up to what the trailer says about us "Creating monsters", it's because the story is actually about how these soldiers degenerate as human beings due to the stresses of the situation they're in and/or the massive power at their control.

Which I'm sure has probably been done with robits before, but not for the benefit of english speaking audiences so no-one noticed.

Otherwise it's just robits punching godzillas, and the pilots are because people like to have people in their stories.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

TOSDOC wrote:My wife's already questioning having pilots for these mecha vs drone warfare. I just want to know what it's rated so I can take the kids. We love kaiju here.
The mecha are pretty obviously remote-piloted, just like drones are today.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Terralthra wrote:
TOSDOC wrote:My wife's already questioning having pilots for these mecha vs drone warfare. I just want to know what it's rated so I can take the kids. We love kaiju here.
No, the pilots are in the head. You can see the layouts with them included, Also here.

This apparently functions as an ejector mechanism as well, but it's pretty silly, given that it's one of the least armourable and protectable areas of a robit. On the other hand, there's a nuclear reactor in the chest, so possibly they wanted to put the pilot not near it.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Vendetta wrote:
Terralthra wrote:
No, the pilots are in the head. You can see the layouts with them included, Also here.

This apparently functions as an ejector mechanism as well, but it's pretty silly, given that it's one of the least armourable and protectable areas of a robit. On the other hand, there's a nuclear reactor in the chest, so possibly they wanted to put the pilot not near it.
Oh. Well, never mind then. That's pretty silly. I thought the two pilots being right next to each other meant they were piloting two mecha from afar, and that they were near each other implied they were remote-piloting because they were so close. My mistake.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

hongi wrote:I...I think I'm in love.

Even Guillermo's worst movie, Hellboy 2, had great visuals and great ideas
Oh, it's a Guillermo. I might actually check it out then. Hellboy 2 was actually fun, I was scared this was a 'Transformers' style thing.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

So yeah, I was intially sceptical about this, I assumed it was just a cash grab off an almost guaranteed audience, but then I was like, wait, what, Guillermo del Toro? Idris Elba? Rinko Kikuchi? These are like, legit film people. Then I heard how del Toro was deliberately not filming or converting to 3D because 3D would ruin any sense of perspective about how massive the robots and the kaiju are and would essentially have to reduce them to human scale to build any sort of depth, so it would ruin the movie. Then I heard it was being converted to 3D and del Toro would give any reason why "beyond I changed my mind" and my hopes plummeted.