An Angel has landed @ Hoth...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Episiarch
Redshirt

An Angel has landed @ Hoth...

Post by The Episiarch »

This is for those familiar with the Neon Genesis: Evangelion series. Let's just say instead of the Imperial fleet, Zeruel, the 14th Angel of the NGE series, suddenly materialise in front of Echo base, it didn't came through from orbit (so no use with the planetary shield or the ion cannon), it just suddenly arrived (The terrestrial Angels that attacked Neo-Tokyo tend to just appear without notice anyway).

So how will this razor-bladed arm messenger from God - protected by the Absolute Terror field with the ability to hover and blast out great layers of hardened steel with a single photon burst from its eye; the assailant of Evangelion Unit 00 and 02 - fare, up against a bunch of political dissidents and subversives of a galactic power, armed with some pretty funky weapons from the SW universe?

I'd like to see some snowspeeder tow-cables wrapped around that Angel!
How about a proton torp or two from a X-wing?

Either way, I bet it'll be entertaining!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Since the Snow-speeder Pilots WHERE the X-wing Pilots I don't think it has to worry about X-Wing Attack

Second I think as soon as General Veers blasted the Shield Generators one of the ISD would have done the typical shoot first and ask somone else a question with some nice Gigaton level damage to it

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Episiarch
Redshirt

Post by The Episiarch »

Umm...okay, good analysis of Imperial tactics...but I don't see how that's got much to do with how the 14th Angel woulod fare against the Rebels though...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well you ARE kinda droping it into a battle here :D

Well it would probably do about as good as the Japanish Army normaly does aginst Godzilla

That help? :twisted:

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
willburns84
Padawan Learner

Post by willburns84 »

Ugh. This one just makes my brain hurt. I'm almost afraid to ask but has anyone come up with firepower, etc figures for Angels based on Evangelion? Or at least lower limit figures?
"Fleet admirals have it made. They only have to worry about the success of their subordinates, their Moff, and guys whose name beings with Lord."
-Captain Seledrood (deceased)
"Iron within! Iron without!"
The Episiarch
Redshirt

Lower limits

Post by The Episiarch »

Okay, in reply to MR. Bean's post, the Imperials are not involved. Like I typed, it's Zeruel *in place* of the Imperial.

I suppose you can have a couple of upper/lower limit on power setting by seeing its performance in battle.

In once scene, with a single photon blast, Zeruel was able to penetrate(melt or vapourised unknown, though it would make a huge difference) through several layers (can't remember exactly how much, but I think about a dozen) of hardened armour of the Geofront, an underground installation that probably have equivalent protection if not more to those of modern hardened ICBM silos (is it true that ICBM silo can withstand direct hits from low kiloton devices? or is that a myth?).

In another scene, Unit 00 was attempting to shove an N2 mine through the Angel's AT. The mine exploded outside of the field and the Angel was undamaged.
Seeing how N2 mines are suppose to be the most powerful non-nuclear explosives available in 2014, judging by the power and size of the device, its nature and explosive power is probably equivalent to that of a 'daisy-cutter'.

Those are just a few key scenes from which the power of the 14th Angel (or other Angels) can be judged, for those who might be more mathematically minded and armed with a calculator, you can work it out because I have some other stuff to do at the moment.

Actually, as a side note, in a scene with the 5th Angel (the blue octahedron with a particle beam) - Ramiel - in a fight with Unit 01, fired its beam and miss the Evangelion, causing the building to either melt or complete collapse (I believe the buildings of the Geofront were made of metal). Now, the building was about equivalent in height to the evangelion which I estimate to be between 30 - 50 m tall. So how powerful is the particle beam of Ramiel?
Darth_Shinji
BANNED

Post by Darth_Shinji »

Just to nit-pick, the n2 mine exploded inside of Zeruel A.T field. But was his core was protected by a metallic looking sheild, and he was complealty unharmed.

And a n2 mine is equal to a nuke but without the radition. But the series never said how they were able to do that.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Wasn't Ramiel's AT Field beaten down by that 180 GW blast from the positron rifle? Of course, EVA AT fields are routinely dependant on whether the entity in question is supposed to die at that particular moment, so at one moment that could be taking nuclear blasts by the bushel and the next be beaten down by considerably less powerful. That's what makes Angels so hard to quantify.
I'm not sure that they could hurt Zeruel, due to the fact that AT Fields tend to need to be cancelled out by an opposing AT Field.

What probably happens is that Zeruel will stomp around for a bit, realize that Echo Base is not in fact NERV, then say "Excuse me good fellows, I seem to be lost. Could you direct me to Adam? You know, about yea high, father of humanity, looks like a demonic Poppin' Fresh... damn! I'm on Hoth! Shit, I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albequerque... thanks anyway and sorry for the Speeders I sliced up". Then stomps away. :D
The Episiarch
Redshirt

Post by The Episiarch »

Fair enough, I couldn't remember if the N2 mine actually went in or not, but nevertheless, Zeruel was able to survive it.
Its AT field also survived the continuous barrage from unit 02 but we don't know how powerful that was.

In reply to Gil, I think Zeruel's AT field is more powerful than that of Ramiel, though that's is just a personal opinion.
I wonder if I can justify this by making it even more convoluted by say the same trans-dimensional warp that transported Zeruel to Hoth also took Adam from Neo-Tokyo and planted him in the middle of Echo base.
Zeruel would do more floating than stomping until it reach the actual base, it has displayed the ability to levitate.

I wouldn't mind seeing what those slicing arms can do (if anything) to AT-AT legs (eventhough I *have* left the Imperials out of the scenario).

Funny you mentioned Adam, because in order to revert him back to his embryonic state, the energy released was enough to melt the Antartica ice cap...anyone up for calculation of that?

While we're there, anyone worked out yet how much it would take to blast through the Geofront, 'cos that's probably Zeruel's most powerful and only energy weapon (its arms would be considered kinetic weapons obviously)
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Zeruel is no doubt more powerful than Ramiel, but Ramiel is the only time we got a definite number on the strength of an AT Field. To be honest, the only cool think about Ramiel was when he blasted the crap out of EVA-01 as soon as it popped out of the ground.

I was just joking about Adam really, I really just wanted an excuse to use the phrase "demonic Poppin' Fresh" when describing him. :D And I described Zeruel as stomping because that is the traditional mode of movement for a giant unstoppable monster.

I have little doubt that Zeruel can slice up AT-ATs. It managed to slice and dice EVA-02, and the EVAs seem incredibly resilent to damage (though they seem to have a character shield doing on, EVAs can be mangled by Angels physically, but not die when hit with N2 mines or similar scale blasted).
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Figure that an experienced angel might be able to form a mono molecular AT field to enhance its attacks against non-AT field using opponents.
The Episiarch
Redshirt

Post by The Episiarch »

Monomolecular AT field?
I take it you are taking the piss, right?
Monomolecular imply that it is some kind of physical object. The Angels have an AT *Field*.

Speaking of monomolecular, I reckon that's what the edge of Zeruel's blade arms appeared to be.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

I'm speaking as to the relative thickness of the field generated, and it isn't entirely clear exactly how sharp the Angel's arm blades are. Besides, this could be a viable tactic for Angels who don't come equipped with ribbons of doom. As to taking the piss, its 5:30 in the morning, do you know where your brain cells are?
The Episiarch
Redshirt

Post by The Episiarch »

Sheesh, no need to come off so hostile.
That comment about the Angel's arms was just that, a throw-away comment.
In case you're wondering, not the whole planet conform to the same time frame.
It's is current 2000 hours where I am right now and where I am right now 'taking the piss' means your are making a joke or you're kidding.
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

Gil Hamilton wrote: What probably happens is that Zeruel will stomp around for a bit, realize that Echo Base is not in fact NERV, then say "Excuse me good fellows, I seem to be lost. Could you direct me to Adam? You know, about yea high, father of humanity, looks like a demonic Poppin' Fresh... damn! I'm on Hoth! Shit, I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albequerque... thanks anyway and sorry for the Speeders I sliced up". Then stomps away. :D
Actually Gil, its more like this...

Zeruel: Hey! Have you guys seen Adam? I really need to find him! I left my keys on Earth and I don't remember where I put them! Adam saw me put them down after the frat party so he knows.

Lillith: They're on the living room table.

Zeruel: Thanks! *he leaves*

And dat's de fact, Jack! :D
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

sorry, episiarch, didn't mean to be that hostile, working retail can do that to you. besides, sometimes I just like to throw out ideas for the physics profs to shoot down.