New War of the Worlds trailer..

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

New War of the Worlds trailer..

Post by SylasGaunt »

Not the one I saw playing with Star Wars anyway.. looks spiffy to me.

LOTR Trailer music ahoy!
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

I wonder if the aliens still come from Mars or have they moved their planet of origin outside the solar system to be more in harmony with reality?
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

What's that trailer music originally from? Was it created originally for LOTR?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Junghalli wrote:I wonder if the aliens still come from Mars or have they moved their planet of origin outside the solar system to be more in harmony with reality?
They're still from Mars.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I don't know if the music is from LotR exclusively or just appeared in one of the trailers, but I have definately heard it somewhere before.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Wasn´t it "Alternate dimension " Mars? :P
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

They should be from Mars. If they're doing a remake, at least get the fucking details right.
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

What details?

19th century - bzzzzt
England - bzzzzt
Writer as protagonist - bzzzzt
Martians come from Mars - who cares now.

George Pal's version is a B grade classic. Independance Day was bloody awful in the way it shamelessly raped the story. Global Dispatches (short stories collection)? Good idea but very badly done by writers who should know better (Einstien as an action hero, wtf).

What is it about the founding father of all 'Alien invasion' stories that people just don't fucking get?
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Hmmmm, that shows a little more of the film and, imo more of the seemingly huge flaws it has.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

It's from one of the very first LotR trailers made, I mean years ago now, when they had Peter Jackson sitting there talking about the movie, a small girl in an animatics suit, filming of the Nazgul chasing Liv Tyler, etc. It wasn't really a trailer ot teaser at all.

Don't know where it's originally from, though.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Tom Cruise´s face plastered all over the camera? Check.
Sentimental claptrap from Spielberg? Check.
Adorable kid crying? Check.

Yup, think I´ll sit this one out if it´s got more of the above than any actual fighting or, you know, tripods.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I've wanted to know where that song is from for ages, if i just knew what it was called i'd be happy. Then i'd aquire it.

The film looks like its gonna be crap though.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

VT-16 wrote:Tom Cruise´s face plastered all over the camera? Check.

Yup, think I´ll sit this one out if it´s got more of the above than any actual fighting or, you know, tripods.
:lol:

Good call.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

It's "Gothic Power" by Christopher Field.
BotM Cybertronian
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Ever read WotW? Maybe you'd realise that the focus ISN'T on the fighting of the war, but the struggle of one family trying to get away from the invasive forces.

But I bet a load will come in now saying the same crap. Go and play a damn videogame or watch the shit Michael Bay makes if you want purely action and no plot.

I, for one, am looking forward to this since they actually have the Martian walkers for a change and obviously kicking the shit out of our forces in style.

The music from the trailers is mixed. Some from that one if LotR, but there are pieces from Zimmer and Badelt from numerous movies (the very last segment sounded a bit like the final track in The Bourne Supremacy trailer).
DocHorror wrote:Hmmmm, that shows a little more of the film and, imo more of the seemingly huge flaws it has.
These being?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I for one actually am looking forward to this quite a bit.

And for the record, while the Pal version may be a classic B picture, I recently watched it and didn't really like it at all. Thought it was too short, too rushed, and too little actual substance.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Wait...so lightning strikes the ground and the Tripods have been teleported underground...or something? :?

I look forward to this though. Explosions are always good.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The '50s version is certainly short, the end feels very rushed once the saucers start blasting LA (I loved the city council building blowing up like in ID4). But then when it was the darkest moment, they bloody die. I can only hope this new version is longer and shows more superweapons like Black Smoke and Red Weed. When they die off, I at least want our planet to appear like it got a bitchslapping.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Wait...so lightning strikes the ground and the Tripods have been teleported underground...or something? :?

I look forward to this though. Explosions are always good.
I still don't get that either. All I can imagine is that the cylinders are somehow able to get below ground via that storm (the storm has no thunder for some reason). In all the other versions, the cylinders came down conventionally as meteorites near enough, but I suppose they would be easier to track and then get rid of with modern weapons.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Well, there's that one overhead shot of Dakota Fanning near the end which looks like it has the red weed on the ground or some such.

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I still don't get that either. All I can imagine is that the cylinders are somehow able to get below ground via that storm (the storm has no thunder for some reason). In all the other versions, the cylinders came down conventionally as meteorites near enough, but I suppose they would be easier to track and then get rid of with modern weapons.
The tagline for the film is "They're already here". My guess is that the cylinders are buried underground and the lightning is part of the process that frees them. This is probably how they got around the fact that there's no way a civilization could be active on Mars in the present day without us knowing about it, but nevertheless we've been invaded by Martians. The Martians came some time in the past and, for whatever reason, waited in stasis. I'm hoping there's a good explanation for why they didn't just set up a colony whenever they first came.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

He's the star of the fucking movie and his presence in the film will sell tickets. Of course he'll be all over the trailer.
Where?
What's your definition of adorable? The kid looks scared shitless.
How much of the book was fighting, and how much was the protagonist trying to survive? Go play Command and Conquer if all you're interested in is shit blowing up.
dworkin wrote:What is it about the founding father of all 'Alien invasion' stories that people just don't fucking get?
One of the things they don't get, apparently, is that it was an allegory for mistreatment of the powerless populations by powerful foreign states, and setting it in 19th century England would obscure that for modern audiences. Making the film 100% faithful to the book would miss the whole point.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: New War of the Worlds trailer..

Post by FedRebel »

Let me guess the movie ends with the same old Deus Ex Machina

Spoiler Alert!

Just when the Martians are on the verge of victory they all suddenly drop dead from diseases we're naturally imune to.

End of Spoiler
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Black Smoke
Not in it. Got cut due to "raitings" or other such nonsense. :roll:
He's the star of the fucking movie and his presence in the film will sell tickets. Of course he'll be all over the trailer.
Strike 1. I hate Tom Cruise and have never seen a believable performance from that particular "actor". I am not convinced he´ll carry this movie well.
Where?
Most of the trailer seems to imply that the mother and father has broken up and knowing Spielberg, they will somehow end up back together again by the end of the film. This coupled with the inevitable "happy end" (which is unavoidable due to it being in every single version of the story, from the very beginning) will make me roll my eyes and try to remember why I wanted to see another Spielberg flick in the first place.
They could have gotten a different kid-actor. Fanning looks too "munchkin-like" for my taste. She´ll most likely have "cute" little scenes to alliviate the dark parts and make me cringe.
How much of the book was fighting, and how much was the protagonist trying to survive? Go play Command and Conquer if all you're interested in is shit blowing up.
How about shutting the fuck up and stop guessing what I like/don´t like about the WOTW story, asshat? :x

This isn´t about explosions, this is about what I percieve to be missteps by a director who I have little confidence in at this point.
One of the things they don't get, apparently, is that it was an allegory for mistreatment of the powerless populations by powerful foreign states, and setting it in 19th century England would obscure that for modern audiences. Making the film 100% faithful to the book would miss the whole point.
No. It would get the same point across if the themes from the book were kept. Setting it in the 21th century really seems to me to be a cop-out, as if there is nothing interesting with doing retro-scifi, yet making an Independence Day-lookalike is somehow "brilliant". Sigh.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

raitings <--- ratings :P
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Strike 1. I hate Tom Cruise and have never seen a believable performance from that particular "actor". I am not convinced he´ll carry this movie well.
If you don't like Tom Cruise, that's your business.
Where?
Most of the trailer seems to imply that the mother and father has broken up and knowing Spielberg, they will somehow end up back together again by the end of the film. This coupled with the inevitable "happy end" (which is unavoidable due to it being in every single version of the story, from the very beginning) will make me roll my eyes and try to remember why I wanted to see another Spielberg flick in the first place.
Name me one Spielberg movie where a divorced couple got back together. It didn't even happen in E.T., for Christ's sake. It would be highly out of character for Spielberg to do that, because his own parents divorced and he knows full Goddamn well that divorced parents almost never get back together.
They could have gotten a different kid-actor. Fanning looks too "munchkin-like" for my taste. She´ll most likely have "cute" little scenes to alliviate the dark parts and make me cringe.
There's not a shred of evidence from the trailer that's what's going to happen, and one advantage Dakota Fanning has over most other child actors is that she can actually act. You're just on a fishing expedition now.
How about shutting the fuck up and stop guessing what I like/don´t like about the WOTW story, asshat? :x
How about you suck my cock instead. I wasn't talking about what you like about the book. Your final comment about the movie amounted to "There won't be enough fighting," which, going by the trailer and the amount of fighting in the book, is bullshit.
This isn´t about explosions, this is about what I percieve to be missteps by a director who I have little confidence in at this point.
What missteps? Here are the complaints you've made which are actually grounded in reality:

1. It has Tom Cruise. I don't like him.

That's it. The rest of your objections are pure, unfounded specultion about a movie you've never seen, and the only specific prediction you've made has never happened in a Speilberg film and is unlikely to ever happen in a Speilberg gilm.
No. It would get the same point across if the themes from the book were kept. Setting it in the 21th century really seems to me to be a cop-out, as if there is nothing interesting with doing retro-scifi, yet making an Independence Day-lookalike is somehow "brilliant". Sigh.
No it would NOT, you retard. The allegory is LOST on a 21st century audience because colonialism has been a dead issue for fifty years. The issues Welles was addressing in WOTW were in the newspaper every single day in England in 1898. The metaphor would fly right over the head of your average 21st century moviegoer.
X-Ray Blues