Dreanaught (40K) question

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Sarevok
The Fearless One

Dreanaught (40K) question

Post by Sarevok »

Would it be possible to entomb a normal human soldier in a dreadnaught ? Or is the process only intended for individuals with spacemarine augmentations ?
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Re: Dreanaught (40K) question

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Sarevok wrote:Would it be possible to entomb a normal human soldier in a dreadnaught ? Or is the process only intended for individuals with spacemarine augmentations ?
Yes you can encase a normal human in a Dreadnought, but for obvious reasons awesome Space Marine veterans make better Dreadnought pilots than mere mortals even if you get away from the little issue that Space Marines are the only guys with Dreadnought suits and they aren't giving them up. A renegade master of the Callidus Temple did steal a suit and had himself entombed inside it.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Well will humans get the same longevity boost ? So say if you want to keep someone alive for a few millennium you turn them into a dreadnaught ?
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Sarevok wrote:Well will humans get the same longevity boost ? So say if you want to keep someone alive for a few millennium you turn them into a dreadnaught ?
That's why the renegade Assassin jacked the Dreadnought. However he already had access to advanced anti-aging treatment and Space Marines don't age normally so exactly how much it would boost a human (and an Assassin isn't exactly a baseline human) isn't known.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I believe there's also a rogue trader said to have had one in some novel, though I've not read the relevant books.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

From the same era as the Callidus Assassin-Dreadnought that Imperial Overlord mentions, Dreadnoughts came with a variety of control methods - from simple physical controls through Mind Impulse Units similar to those used in Titans all the way up to the full neural link that's the current norm. The Chapter Approved: Dreadnoughts article in WD 100 mentioned that they were used by Space Marines and Imperial Army units (of the four sample colour schemes, two are from Rogue Traders' private armies, one is an Imperial Army machine and one is a Space Marine Dreadnought). By the time the Imperial Guard army list turned up nine months later, they'd become unique to Space Marine armies.

With the current trend for portraying early Rogue Trader background as being "Heresy-era", I would suggest that you can stuff pretty much anyone into a Dreadnought suit, and that this was indeed done during the Great Crusade.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

The sarcophagus that the body is actually entombed in is separate from the dreadnaught chassis itself. This means that you can stick someone in there to prolong their life, but they aren't necessarily a walking death machine.

Incidentally, it's used as a form of turture in one short story I read. Someone stuck a renegade Astral Claw in there to get rid of a problem, and the story ends as he realizes he's going to be alive and stuck forever.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The big thing is that those Dreadnought armors are pretty much sacred artifacts according to Space Marine traditions, right? Don't they go on holy kill-missions just to recover Dread armors in forsaken planets?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

They do indeed. In-universe, probably early Dreadnoughts did have options for using human pilots without the whole sticking-them-in-a-sarcophagus thing. Now, given their scarcity, the Marines aren't handing over any of the ones they have anytime soon, so it doesn't really make sense. Now, if we're talking something along the lines of a Knight, then that's a little different...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The big thing is that those Dreadnought armors are pretty much sacred artifacts according to Space Marine traditions, right? Don't they go on holy kill-missions just to recover Dread armors in forsaken planets?
Thus the "renegade" in the renegade Master of Assassins. He's in deep, deep shit if Imperial authorities catch up with him and the chapter he swiped it from (which included dumping out the pilot like garbage to die) will most definitely want his ass. That's a lot trouble, even for a dude who is Omega Dan.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Aren't the assassins actually more modified than space marines? So, that shouldn't be taken as evidence that normal humans can pilot Dreadnoughts.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

NecronLord wrote:I believe there's also a rogue trader said to have had one in some novel, though I've not read the relevant books.
Lucian Gerrit (from Andy Hoare's Damocles Gulf trilogy - Rogue Star, Star of Damocles (both of dubious quality) & Savage Scars (hell of a lot better)) has been told one of his ancestors was placed within a Dreadnought, yes. Of course, Lucian is both full of himself and has a massively overinflated sense of his dynasty's importance, so I'm not convinced he can be considered reliable.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:The big thing is that those Dreadnought armors are pretty much sacred artifacts according to Space Marine traditions, right? Don't they go on holy kill-missions just to recover Dread armors in forsaken planets?
Yeah, they're big on retrieving kit like Dreadnoughts and Terminator armour whenever possible. And if anyone were to, hypothetically, pinch a Dreadnought (which would necessitate killing the current occupant) and the Chapter who the Dread was part of found out, they'd descend on the thief like the wrath of the Emperor personified the instant they figured out where thon thief was hiding.
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That said, the technology to build them isn't completely lost- it's just immensely difficult to do. Stealing a dreadnought from an existing Marine chapter would be very difficult; getting the Adeptus Mechanicus to build a new one might actually be more practical. Still very difficult, but not nearly so much risk of having hundreds of superhuman killing machines make it their personal ambition to hunt you down and rip you from the looted cybernetic chassis you stole from them.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I believe that's what Lucian Gerritt's ancestor did; went to Mars and had the AdMech build him a Dreadnought body. Leaves open the question of just what they did with the chassis after the ancestor passed on... or is the ancestor *still* roaming the stars, hmm?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Being stuck in a Dreadnaught for all eternity does not seem like very comfortable even if Space Marines don't kill you. If a healthy individual placed themselves inside a Dreanaught, can they ever get out and return to normal human form ?
Black Admiral
Jedi Council Member

Post by Black Admiral »

Elheru Aran wrote:I believe that's what Lucian Gerritt's ancestor did; went to Mars and had the AdMech build him a Dreadnought body. Leaves open the question of just what they did with the chassis after the ancestor passed on... or is the ancestor *still* roaming the stars, hmm?
The Arcadius clan might have lost the thing during one of their periods of decline; as far as I'm aware Lucian himself has no clue what became of it.
Sarevok wrote:Being stuck in a Dreadnaught for all eternity does not seem like very comfortable even if Space Marines don't kill you. If a healthy individual placed themselves inside a Dreanaught, can they ever get out and return to normal human form ?
Presumably, yes. If the interface is anything similar to the amniotic tank used in modern (relatively speaking) Battle Titans, and it does seem to be, then it's quite possible to unplug someone, if you're careful about it (rapid unplugging tends to be .. traumatic for a Titan Princeps, to say the least, and I can't imagine it being too pleasant for a Dreadnought occupant).

Also "not very comfortable" is rather a pale shadow of what being stuck in a Dreadnought sarcophagus is like. Bjorn the Fell-Handed, for one, utterly hates being stuck in one, even though he knows why Russ had him so interred (specifically, to make sure the Wolves were never without a defender).
"I do not say the French cannot come. I only say they cannot come by sea." - Admiral Lord St. Vincent, Royal Navy, during the Napoleonic Wars

"Show me a general who has made no mistakes and you speak of a general who has seldom waged war." - Marshal Turenne, 1641
Ugolino
Youngling

Post by Ugolino »

Which story had the Assassin-Dread?
Karen Traviss IS a Kaminoan!
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Ugolino wrote:Which story had the Assassin-Dread?
Harlequin by Ian Watson.

Assassins are augmented humans, but they aren't augmented in the same way Space Marines are. As Space Marines have specific augmentations increasing their ability to interface with armour and Assassins don't, it's likely that if an Assassin could use the Dreadnought so could an ordinary human. Of course, some augmentation work might have to be done but that's pretty damn easy compared to getting your hands on a Dreadnought.
Whiskey144
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiskey144 »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Assassins are augmented humans, but they aren't augmented in the same way Space Marines are. As Space Marines have specific augmentations increasing their ability to interface with armour and Assassins don't, it's likely that if an Assassin could use the Dreadnought so could an ordinary human. Of course, some augmentation work might have to be done but that's pretty damn easy compared to getting your hands on a Dreadnought.
I'll note that most of what makes Assassins "assassins", is the training, rather than the augmentations. At least half of what makes an Astartes an Astartes is likely the augmentations and implants. In Temple Assassins, it tends to be more "training" than "augmentation".

OTOH, they certainly don't skimp, if the Eversor, and the statline in the new GK 'dex is at least moderately representative.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Uh....wha? You can train yourself into mimicing a genestealer or an Ork? :lol:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Whiskey144
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiskey144 »

fgalkin wrote:Uh....wha? You can train yourself into mimicing a genestealer or an Ork?
Which is why I said "tends" towards heavy training. However, I didn't say that that excluded augmentation entirely.

I'll also note that impersonating Orks or genestealers (particularly the latter) was actually more of a one-off mission that has only been performed (albeit successfully, heh) once.

However, WRT the mimicry Temple, the current iteration of the Callidus seems to be "genderless, blank tapestry-person-thing". This is mostly from info gained from Flight of the Eisenstein, wherein a Callidus assassin is presented as a genderless individual that has been heavily modified, primarily by drugs.

Ironically, just hazarding a guess, 60% of all Assassin personnel (by Temple, not by population) tend to be more training>augmentation than the reverse; the Eversor and Culexus I'd argue would be augmentation>training, though the Culexus likely receives some hefty training.

With the training-heavy temples, you've got the Vindicare, the Callidus (they predominantly use polymorphine rather than augmentations) and the Vanus. Venenum is also another temple that's training heavy (so that'd actually be closer to 67%).
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

These are not mutually exclusive. Assasins are both highly trained and augmented, the key difference (besides tactics, equipment, mindset, etc.) is that Assasins tend to be highly specialized. Almost a third of a Space Marine's artificial organs are designed to increase survivability in a wide variety of enviroments. Space Marines tend to specialize over time through training, but all of a Vindicare's training, augmentation and kit is geared to making him a better sniper, just so a Callidus with infiltration, an Eversor and frenzied close combat, a Culexu and anti-psyker ops, with Death Cult assains being sort of an odd Temple out, but even they generally do very different things than Astartes.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Whiskey144
Padawan Learner

Post by Whiskey144 »

Ahriman238 wrote:These are not mutually exclusive. Assasins are both highly trained and augmented, the key difference (besides tactics, equipment, mindset, etc.) is that Assasins tend to be highly specialized. Almost a third of a Space Marine's artificial organs are designed to increase survivability in a wide variety of enviroments. Space Marines tend to specialize over time through training, but all of a Vindicare's training, augmentation and kit is geared to making him a better sniper, just so a Callidus with infiltration, an Eversor and frenzied close combat, a Culexu and anti-psyker ops, with Death Cult assains being sort of an odd Temple out, but even they generally do very different things than Astartes.
I wasn't suggesting that training and augmentation are mutually excluvise in the slightest, just that certain Temples make heavier use of training over augmentation and vice versa.

I'll further note that Death Cult Assassins are not associated with a particular Assassin Temple; they're actually a hodge-podge of various kill-xenos/-heretics offshoots of the Imperial faith. The term is pretty much a catch-all for the myriad cults that tend to glorify the idea that killing for the Emperor is the highest form of worship.

I'll also note that:

Venenum assassins receive no augmentation whatsoever (ref: Flight of the Eisenstein), while Vanus assassins are minimally augmentated with improved datahandling/parsing capabilities and intelligence gathering apparatus.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

fgalkin wrote:Uh....wha? You can train yourself into mimicing a genestealer or an Ork? :lol:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
There was an assassin, Meh'Lindi, a Callidus who was specifically augmented to mimic a 3rd generation genestealer hybrid (I'm not sure the genestealer cults still officially exist). She had implants that would extrude and reshape to make her passable as a hybrid, though at the cost of being able to mimic anything else. She could only do the 'stealer.

Presumably similar implants could be made for an ork on a suitably sized human. Remember also this comes from an era when orks weren't the lumbering hulks they are now, but far smaller.

As for dreadnoughts, presumably you're talking about current Imperial dreadnoughts only. Originally as someone said there were many control types for dreads because originally dreads were just a step up the armour scale. They weren't life supporting war machines but merely extremely large armour, bordering on mecha. Historically anyone can go in one.

But then dreadnoughts are odd- they exist on the tech tree somewhere above power armour and cybernetics yet below knights and titans. For some reason they're exceptionally difficult to produce though.
Dragon Clan Veritech
[R_H]
Sith Devotee

Post by [R_H] »

Kojiro wrote:
Presumably similar implants could be made for an ork on a suitably sized human. Remember also this comes from an era when orks weren't the lumbering hulks they are now, but far smaller.
Why are they larger?